Direct TV / scam nfl sunday ticket

1 CT, United States Review updated:

I've been a loyal directv subscriber for about 6 years. Always the premium package, hd dvr, etc. Never a complaint (Other than the fact that it took the techs about 4 trips to get me setup properly). I started subscribing to directv when it seemed that the local cable monopoly started rapidly declining with respect to customer service.

Several years into my patronage (2005) I decided to try the nfl package. It was ok but, by the end of the year, I wasn't really watching it that much so when directv called to try to sign me up again I declined. Fast forward to 2008, we've been looking for ways to cut a few household expenses. As I went through the old bank statements (We have auto-pay for just about all bills) I noticed that my directv bills had gotten as high as $200 / mo. I knew that the premium package cost around 100 bucks. I know there are a bunch of taxes and surcharges, etc but I figured there was no way those fees could be as much as the service itself.

I get on the line with a customer service person to try to figure out whey the bill is so high. He's going through the charges and the last one he mentions is the nfl package. I tell him I don't get the nfl package and he reiterates that I do. I ask him what channel it is on - when I go to that channel there is a message with a number of where to call to subscribe. The guy tells me that I signed up in 2005 (True) and that in 2006 they sent me something saying if I do not want to subscribe again in 2006 that I must check a box. They proceeded to charge me for all of 2006, 2007 and 2008! Furthermore, he had the onions to tell me that directv had a "policy" of not refunding nfl package subscribers who had been duped. I, of course, informed him of my policy of not letting anyone steal my money. And my policy is the only one that matters. Several more calls, several more supervisors (Some of whom were idiots and some of whom were appauled by the story but who claimed to be powerless to do anything).

First, and most obvious, you don't sell a service by telling someone that they have to say "no" to avoid it. You can give me whatever service you want - but you only have the right to get paid for the ones that I ask for.

Second, I had trusted directv enough to put them on my auto-pay list. No paper bills, save the environment, etc etc. It just goes to my bank account and I hit "pay" each month for all of my bills. So directv can pull this shenanigans on just about anybody that uses modern banking and doesn't keep a close eye on the bill from month to month.

After demanding my money back (Almost $800!!!) I stopped paying them my monthly bills. Everytime someone called my house about payment I wouldn't let them get their scriped questions out - I just asked them about the status of my refund. They always get off the phone perplexed.

Well, they just shut off the service. So i've talked to my best friend who is an attorney and he said this will be a no-brainer lawsuit. He said that, if I am lucky, they will also report me to the credit bureaus (Which will appear malicious to a judge) and will make my suit too large for small claims court. So, a little longer to wait but more hassle and money for directv to pay.

It just stuns me that this company would take a long-time, loyal, premium customer and treat them this way. Not only have they lost my revenue stream forever, there are going to pay legal bills (Theirs and mine) and have me bad-mouthing that company forever. By the time this is all said and done i'll bet this little stunt costs them $75, 000 of undiscounted cashflow. Maybe a drop in the ocean to them but so stupid. So stupid.

In the meantime, I have offered directv to be part of my prayer of the month club. With the economy being down I figured some companies might like people to say a prayer on their behalf. The price is a little steep ($10, 000 subscription per year) but if they feel they don't need the service they can always write me a letter telling me that they explicitly do not want to subscribe. Until I get that communication from them I can only assume that they want to join the prayer network. My policy is to enforce all debts on firms that do not affirmatively decline membership. That seems fair, right? At least they think so...

Comments

• Sp
      7th of Feb, 2009

I TOO WAS CHARGED FOR THE NFL PACKAGE.I TRIE TO EXPLAIN TO THE REP.THAT I DO NOT WATCH SPORTS AND THAT I DID NOT KNOW WHAT CHANNEL IT WAS ON.I WENT TO MY REMOTE TO TUNE TO THE CHANNEL AND FOUND A MESSAGE THAT I HAVE NOT SUBSRIBED TO THAT CHANNEL, SO THE REP. TOLD ME TO TRY SEVERAL MORE CHANNELS AND GOT THE SAME NO SUBSRIBE MESSAGE.ALSO I SEARCHED DEEPER AND FOUND THE ONLY WAY YOU COULD HAVE THE NFL PACKAGE WAS TO BE HOOKED UP TO A PHONE LINE.I DO NOT HAVE A PHONE IN MY HOME, I ONLY HAVE A CELL PHONE.I EXPLAINED TO THE CUSTOMER SERVICE REP.ABOUT ALL THIS INFO AND SHE SAID SORRY BUT ONCE THE SEASON STARTS YOU CANNOT CANCELL.I TOLD HER THAT I NEVER ASKED FOR THIS PACKAGE OR NEVER APPROVED THIS PACKAGE.SHE SAID SORRY THEIR WAS NOTHING SHE COULD DO FOR ME AND SAID SHE WAS SORRY BUT COULD NOT REFUND MY MONEY, THEY OWE ME FOR 3 MONTHS AND THE ONLY THING SHE COULD DO WAS GIVE ME A 5.00 CREDIT ON MY ACCOUNT FOR THE NEXT 3 MONTHS.SO, THATS WERE IT STANDS TODAY, THEY WILL NOT REFUND MY MONEY.

• J2
      10th of Oct, 2010

Same thing happened to me. Except the NFL was part of some special promotion. I hate football, never watched a game in my life.

• Ti
      17th of Aug, 2014

My issue is that I do order it and do NOT get all the channels. I live in Las Vegas and have NO teams nearby that would allow me to go to the games. NOW, they are blocking my NFL Network WHICH is part of my monthly package. They offer no compensation no solution. The NFL Sunday Ticket is a scam and DirecTV is perpetuating the theft!!!

• Ed
      8th of Oct, 2015

Same exact thing just happened to me. I noticed my bill was a lot higher and when I finally looked at my bill which is on direct pay with my bank, there it was NFL Sunday Ticket. When I got the alleged supervisor of Retention on the phone, although she answered customer service, which we all know isn't Retention, - Tracy, Employee Number 415825 (which I doubt is the correct number) and I said I never ordered NFL Sunday Ticket, and she sarcastically read me the bill that said if I don't check the box I will be billed, to which I informed her I don't care what it says, I didn't order it, I don't read the bills, they get paid by my bank, which I'm sure you've heard many times by now, and if she didn't take it off my bill I was going to have Comcast in my house by the end of the week and how was she going to collect the rest of it when I cancel, She said she would take half of one payment off. I said all of it and I said if I hang up you'll get no second chance. She started to repeat herself, and I cut her off and said did you hear what I just said? To which she answered yes. And I said just making sure you are an arrogant person and didn't misunderstand me. As soon as Comcast hooks me up. I'll be calling and asking for her by name and employee number to say, remember me, Tracy? The hubris of this company and their employees is beyond ridiculous! And don't you know they'll TRY to charge me an extra month of service and for the boxes AFTER I return them and try to still collect the NFL Sunday Ticket. @#$%, you should hold your breath until I pay you.

20th of Sep, 2016

Man, they are still getting away with this. Absolutely terrible. I also spoke with a Tracy Employee Number 418046, and she was horrid. I tried getting corporates address but she was manipulating what I was saying trying to avoid the question. I asked how I can identify her and she said by her name, Tracy. I had to prime her employee number from her. She told me that there was no one hgher up then she, and she made all the decisions. Corporates address:
    Supervisor office of the president directv incorporate
    308 South Akard Street Room 1110 Dallas, Texas 75202

• Ed
      20th of Sep, 2016

Aneki, you can bet it's her. Of course she gave a fake EID. What does it tell you about the company when they emply ###s like Tracy. I got it all taken off my bill and then I called and asked for her to cancel. I asked for the Supreme Know-it-All Tracy. They didn't know who I was talking about. It is illegal for them to do this and you can join the 10s of 1000s who have filed a complaint with the FCC. And they did try to charge me for my returned boxes and I sent them a quick note to please take a picture of yourselves holding your breath waiting for me to pay another dime. If at all possible Universe is a much better option. It doesn't cut out when it rains. And so far no ###s like Tracy.

• Ne
      9th of Oct, 2016

What sucks is I got Sunday NFL ticket to watch the Cowboys when I can't be home to watch and it said due to NFL rules I can't watch them in my area, but my friend who lives in same area has NFL Mobil thru Verizon and can watch any game. Go figure.

• Li
      4th of Nov, 2016

I am going through the exact same experience. I never ordered, don't watch or care for football. My bill i
    s setup for automatic payment. This is so wrong! I will fight it and dedicate time to expose the scam.

• In
      19th of Nov, 2017

And it is still happening in year 2017! Direct TV included NFL Sunday Ticket into our account while we have never requested it and made us pay for the program. We are expatriates in the US and we do not watch football. We did not even know that a TV company could do such thing without warning to the customer. The worst thing about this experience is, Direct TV makes customer work to call and call an call their rep. to cancel the NFL Sunday Ticket that the customers have never requested. That's really BAD SERVICE! How could you make a customer works to do something that they did not ask in the first place? It looks like the US system does not protect the customers' rights. I just can't believe this scamming practice is still happening for many years and Direct TV can just get away with it.

• Su
      2nd of Oct, 2018

@indiepindie , and it's still happening 2018 I just got off the phone with DirecTV .

• Bi
      13th of Dec, 2017

We are fighting the same thing, when I first noticed my bill had increased, don't normally look at it because we use auto-pay, I called and told them I never order that package. The finally agreed to stop charging me for it but would not refund the three payments they had already collected, I disputed the charges on my credit card and got the money back. They still insist that the charges were valid and added them back on to my bill, I cancelled by auto-pay and then my Directv service all together.
    I have filled complaints with the state attorney generals office and the BBB, Emma from the Office of the President of AT&T has contacted me regarding both complaints and offered to reduce what they claim I owe them by 50%, I declined both times, this is nothing but a SCAM. I now get overdue bills with late charges attached, I think it's probably time for a Class Action Lawsuit, how many people just give up and pay these crooks?

• So
      14th of Sep, 2018

My husband bought the NFL Sunday Ticket with Direct TV back in May. This past weekend we were supposed to have access to the app since football had started. We tried to sign in and it wasn't working. My husband had contacted their customer service and they said they would work on it and if it wasn't fixed by the end of the weekend then we could have our money back. After the weekend it still wasn't fixed. He called again and the 2nd person he spoke with said it was too late for him to get his refund back (however, we had it in dialogue of them saying we were entitled to our refund). He then was transferred to AT&T and that person was not able to help him so then he was transferred for a 3rd time. At this time my husband was not happy. He finally just said, I just want my refund I don't want it fixed, just would like the money back. I mean we already lost a weekend of football anyways. So, they said they would and will contact him within 24 hours to verify the refund. That phone call was supposed to happen yesterday and we still have not received a phone call. Horrible customer service! If we do not receive our refund within the next week, we will dispute the charge and have the credit card deal with these idiots that obviously don't know how to refund charges, fix anything that have to do with the sign-in issues, and that are not good with customer service! We have a written transcript via email of them saying they would refund us the charge (because it already seems like they will dispute that they never said they would). Definitely not worth the money. There are other companies that offer the NFL package and it's ALOT cheaper.