Direct TV / very poor service and unacceptable contract

I have had direct TV now for about three months and have had one problem after another. I had initially switched from cable to DirectTV because I thought that their high definition service would be superior. Big mistake. Since the time of install I have been through 4 high definition receivers, each one failing for a different reason. When your service goes out with DirectTV your only option is to wait for a replacement box or for a service tech which in my case has taken close to a week each time. My service has been so spotty that I have had to retain my cable so that I have a backup. Talk about spending too much for T.V. service. Now that my experience with these buffoons has soured to the point it has i decided that i had had enough. Unfortunately their two year contract insulates them from having to provide any level of acceptable service at all. Even though my experience has been a nightmare and I have spent countless valuable hours trying to resolve issues they will not offer to terminate my contract no matter how many times I have requested this. I am currently without any service again and I have decided that I am going to bite the bullet and pay the termination fee. I am not litigious person but have considered taking these bullies to court. I can't imagine that I am the only person that has had these issues. I would avoid doing business with this company at all cost. I wish good luck to all those that are in the same boat as me.

Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• Ar
      24th of Jun, 2018

On the 24 June 2018, I telephoned the Directv for Location Replacement clarification on bedroom TV...What I received from Jasmine, Resolution Dept., was the worst customer service ever. Jasmine was condensing in her delivery of upgrades. She kept over-talking me and she disconnected my call.

Prior to being disconnected, I asked for a supervisor, Jasmine stated, "there is NO supervisor on the floor for me to speak...

Remedy: Jasmine should be retrained or discharge to look for a more fitting career.

• Ju
      22nd of Jan, 2017

I urge all people that complaints about Direct TV and their deceptive sales practices to sell their service to people to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. There is a page there for filing complaints against internet and TV providers.

• Ca
    Direct TV - Stole money from my acct and not a acct holder
    Direct Tv
    Arlington

My daughter wanted to get cable and direct tv told her they could install satellite cable if she gave them $1.00 as a special installation deal but it would have to be by credit card. I didnt like the idea sounded fishy to me but the direct tv representative said that i as the mother could charge the $1.00 and they would take my credit card off of their system. I use at&t uverse...Never had any problems with them but my daughter wanted to try the direct tv . Well, she didnt pay her bill for two months of $80.00 (Basic satellite) and they lied about not using my (Mother's credit card) and 3 months later they took $481.00 from my acct. I talked to a supervisor in billing and he told me that if we gave them the card # at the beginning for her even though our name is not on the acct that it was just too bad. This is a totally unauthorized transaction. They dont care and they appear per the complaints to be doing it all the time to other people all over the country. This is stealing and it appears that our laws are letting them succeed stealing from people that are not even their customers. They dont care if you threaten to sue they will tell you to go right ahead and still keep your money. They tell you to fax in a dispute and they will return it but they do not! This company has got to be shut down . Does anyone know how without it costing me an arm and a leg ? Doesnt our consumer laws protect us at all??????????

• Mo
      3rd of Jun, 2016

Oh come now, are you new? You have to know when dealing with any company that requires a contract...no matter what they tell you or don't tell you, if you make a change, ANY change...NEW CONTRACT!!! Esp. with Direct TV...if you call them on the phone and they answer...NEW CONTRACT... if they have to come out to fix their own equipment... NEW CONTRACT... if you sneeze and they hear it the desire to extend your contract is implied, so... NEW CONTRACT... if it's Tuesday...NEW CONTRACT...until you've had enough and send them back their equipment at which point they'll claim they never got it and go into your account and remove several months worth of your monthly bills, early termination fee, fees for movies you never watched from ten years ago, random late fees, just because we can fees, and of course charge you for the equipment you never sent back even tho you have your UPS receipt for it because of course you did send it back. That's how Direct TV rolls.

3rd of Jun, 2016

I GOT TAKEN BY IYOGI TECH SUPPORT FOR $ 199- ABOUT THREE MONTHS AGO THEY TOLD ME I HAD A BUG & THE COST WOULD BE $ 199- SO I TOLD THEM TO FIX IT NOT KNOWING I DIDN, T HAVE TO PAY. THEY TOLD ME THAT I HAD TO PAY THAT I WASN, T COVERED. I COMPLAINED BUT GOT NOWHERE. JOE AMO

3rd of Jun, 2016

directv is getting to be exspensive i, m thinking about droping them there are other co. out there less exspensive.

• Zb
    Direct TV - billing and contract
    DIRECT TV
    Queens Village
    New York

definity i won't ever get direct tv and won't ever recomended.. i just had the worse experience ever... just lier like timewarner!! my contract was up last year and i decided to cancel but they offered me alot much things so i won't go.. i decided that i would stay and specified that i didn't want contract.. but they never told me that by getthing the free dvr for 12 months i was getting a contract for 24 months.. so now i have to moved and cancel the service because they lanlord doesn't alow satelic.. and they told me that i have a contract that it will cause $280 to cancel.. i can't freaking believe this is happening again just like timewarner did to me back in the days. def i won't recomended like i was doing to my friends.

• Sg
    Direct TV - Want let me out of contract new customer
    DIRECT TV

I purchase service from DIRECT TV on November 10, 09, $39.99 pckg, I received bill statement asking for a payment in full in about a week with the full price for $87.00, I called and asked if I could cancel my service because I was dis satified with their lack of telling us customer, they did my rebate on line from their office themselves, so I wasn't going to receive the special offer for $26, only $21, then I wasn't told that this package was for 2 yrs, I asked if I cancelled before my 30 days would I still be charged for 24 month they said yes $480.00, they are very unfair and dirty. I spoke with a supervisor, he didn't offer no support

• Ry

Cindy-
    I have had Direct TV since 2001. and I have found out a lot about their business practices that I am not liking. I, too have tried to cancel, and when I called they stated that I had another year left. Which is ridiculous. They extend your contract if they replace a remote control, a receiver, add a receiver and even if you change your programming package, ... Which is completely unbelievable yet true. I am looking into fighting them at this moment. Let me know if you find anything out.

• Ci
    Direct TV - Converter replacement extended contract

The Direct TV DVR converter we were issued stopped working. After spending "forever" on the phone trying to get the thing working again I was told that we needed this replaced. We had to wait for a replacement to arrive and then mailed the broken one back. Again I had to spend time on the phone getting the new converter working.

Some time later when calling Direct TV with a billing issue we found out that the replacement of a non functioning converter now extended our contract another two years! We wanted to cancel the service but if we do, we have to pay a fee to get out of this extended contract. How can they do that without informing us?

• Ji
      24th of May, 2016

I am going through a divorce, at the time I got service I had two incomes, now I have one so I had to get rid of cable and you are trying to charge me $362 to cancel it and put me in financial hardship when I have enough hardship. My next step is the BBB if my fee is not waived.

• Ph
      3rd of May, 2016

We signed up for Direct TV HBO On Demand. They took our payment. When trying to sign in, they told us the service has not been available for over a month and they didn't know when it would be ready. WTF. Stay away!

• Le
      26th of Apr, 2016

Hi I have been scammed by these people they charged me 49.99 and when I called they never answer it's linfinity sales group location 8666593474 fl posted date 4816 category utilities please someone help me get a refund

• Af
      9th of Feb, 2016

Direct TV is bad and even worst now that the crooks ATT&T has taken over. I never signed an agreement with them but am being charged $200 cancellation fee. I will pay it to never return to this Company again in my life.!!!

• Ra
      23rd of Dec, 2015

As per advertisement by airtel dth my order no sd 0012248 -sansui mobile model no u30 received in Peking box totally defective on 19/10/15 immediately complain to customer care on 20/10/15 to till date 50 times on std phone & 50 mail sent to company reply only forward you complain& reverse pick up shortly after 60 days mail received you send defective pro.to Delhi contact no.mr.pragti tiwari n.o 0124-6545697 this no false please arrange to refund amount rs 2990+500 std charge

• Is
      14th of Sep, 2015

Direct TV is becoming a nightmare!!! I moved almost a year ago and had two techs come to my new apartment and both stated that there was no line of service from my apartment...Direct TV kept billing me until I called and told them that I did not have service because the techs were not able to install the satellite due to no line of service. Direct TV stated that the techs did not write on their notes that there was no line of service and that I had stated that I did not want the satellite on my patio. I never stated I did not want the service and still Direct TV sent my account to collections for 180.00 for not paying a cancellation fee!!! I NEVER CANCELLED MY SERVICE!!! We should be able to sue Direct TV for damage to credit and for having to receive harassing phone calls from collectors!!
    I just spoke to someone at Direct TV for about the 10th time and they told me to file a dispute for the charges and then they will call me with a result to my dispute. I already did this about 7 months ago and Direct TV stated that I need to pay 40.00 to reactivate my account because it was disconnected when it was sent to collections!! I DID NOT CANCEL MY SERVICE!!!
    So, I refuse to have to pay 40.00 when I DID NOT CANCEL MY SERVICE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!
    FRUSTRATING...FRUSTRATING...FRUSTRATING!!!...
    I am telling all my family and friends about this nightmare in order for them to NEVER make business with this company!! and I am taking it to the radio, since I have a very good friend that can do me the favor to pass on this horrible service from this company!!! This has to come to an end...I feel bad for the people that work for this company!!!

• Re
      25th of Aug, 2015
    Direct TV - Termination Fees
    342 Allenhurst Avenue
    Ridgway
    Pennsylvania

I had direct TV in North Carolina. Over a year ago I moved back with my parents in Pennsylvania. At the time, June 2014, I called Direct TV to cancel my service as I was moving in with my parents. I was told by the representative that my "contract" was not up and I should suspend my service. Well, I did that and moved home. Here it is August, 2015 and I am still being billed. Called Customer service which is a joke, and found out that for as many months as I suspend my service, they tack it on to my contract. If I cancel I will have to pay the termination amount for as many months as remain on my contract. It is a revolving door. Suspend and your contract will NEVER be up. So for me to cancel, they are going to charge me approximately $240.00 because they keep extending the contract time. This is highway robbery as far as I am concerned. I am filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Something needs to be done about Direct TV!

• Ke
      21st of Aug, 2015

I have to say please check the address of the Bill RPM sends you from Direct TV. I am looking at a Bill from RPM saying I owe Direct TV 610.58 . It says it is from my account dating 4/26/2014. The address is correct but the street is wrong, the zip is wrong. I looked up the address they had and it is someone else's home but they are using my name. Also, I have lived in my current home for over 3 years and have not had direct TV since 2011 and yet they say my bill is from 2014? These people are crooks and someone has a great scam going. I say to dispute with the credit reporting agencies if these people have ruined your credit and contact the FTC at 1-877-FTC-HELP.

• Ni
      21st of Aug, 2015
    Direct TV - Billing
    2230 East Imperial Hwy
    Segundo CA

On June 9, 2015 I contacted Direct TV to cancel my service. I let an agent by the name of Erma talk me into Select Choice service...much to my dismay I was overbilled by AT&T/Direct TV for the 2015 NFL Sunday ticket/MAX (I do not watch sports). I had received the letter about cancellation if I was not interested in this to cancel before September 13, 2015...Why would I be billed in July for this service if Erma did not add this on my account arbitrarily? How could this be? I believe this is a mis-representation of the company and had to jump through hoops and still do not believe that this issue will probably be resolved. I spoke with four different reps today and felt that I was basically being given the run around, including having to contact AT&T. Addition poor customer service. I want to be sure that my account is corrected. My account # is 10648876.
    I am a senior and sincerely disgusted having to go through so much to get an accurate bill. These people/agents are so nice as long as they are selling you something but follow up is sad and terrible, all the apologies mean nothing for all the distress that these problems cause.
    Spoke with Erma on June 9th and Candace, Shanita, Jenny and Leslie at Direct TV today...this is extremely poor customer service.

Juanita Copeland
    (704) 451-3455

• Vi
      20th of Aug, 2015

I'll b back tommorow ive email, called, wrote, complaint, someone help let get them once n for all, let me get my mortgage out of direct acct, how would u like that what goes around comes around believe that and it comes fast these days, walking around this world like u haven't did nothing not caring as long as your family is good, well we are devasted over here if u no it or not, my damn mortgage money has been robbed out of my acct, can I call the police cause we been robbed