Direct TV / very poor service and unacceptable contract

I have had direct TV now for about three months and have had one problem after another. I had initially switched from cable to DirectTV because I thought that their high definition service would be superior. Big mistake. Since the time of install I have been through 4 high definition receivers, each one failing for a different reason. When your service goes out with DirectTV your only option is to wait for a replacement box or for a service tech which in my case has taken close to a week each time. My service has been so spotty that I have had to retain my cable so that I have a backup. Talk about spending too much for T.V. service. Now that my experience with these buffoons has soured to the point it has i decided that i had had enough. Unfortunately their two year contract insulates them from having to provide any level of acceptable service at all. Even though my experience has been a nightmare and I have spent countless valuable hours trying to resolve issues they will not offer to terminate my contract no matter how many times I have requested this. I am currently without any service again and I have decided that I am going to bite the bullet and pay the termination fee. I am not litigious person but have considered taking these bullies to court. I can't imagine that I am the only person that has had these issues. I would avoid doing business with this company at all cost. I wish good luck to all those that are in the same boat as me.

Comments

• Kr
      23rd of May, 2008

I had been a Direct TV customer for 7 years in good standing. When I relocated to Atlanta, I used the movers package and had DTV installed in the little Town House that I rented. Ten months later I bought a house and called to have my service moved. The Service Rep on the phone told me that it would cost $200.00 to move my service. I told her that I would not pay that and get cable instead. She then told me that she would waive the fee, but if I moved again before 12 months, I would have to pay it. I said okay. I got my first bill at the new house with the $200.00 charge on it. I thought that it was probably just a “glitch” and paid my normal monthly fee. The next month the moving charge was still on my bill and I called Direct TV, and was told that it was a legitimate charge. I said, “Why would I agree to pay $200.00 so that you can keep my business? Only an idiot would agree to that.” The ludicriousy of the situation seemed to escape the logic that even a child could grasp. Everywhere, DTV’s competition was offering specials to draw business from DTV; more service for less money. DTV did not care to hear one thing that I had to say. They only wanted their money. I told them that I would never pay that fraudulent and ridiculous fee. Days later my service was cut off but DTV continued to bill me for an additional 2 months!

• Bo
      29th of May, 2008

The same stuff happened to me. I cancelled my servcie 1/6/08 (and promptly returned my equiptment)..because when I moved they could not provide me service in my new area...then they tried to charge me the early termination fee...I was like are you kidding me you cannot provide me the service and that is MY fault...so after 2 1/2 months of back and forth, hour and hours each day on the phone with a bunch of useless customer service people AND a complaint filed with the BBB they finally credited my credit card on file the fee...but wait it wasn't over...after 4 months since I cancelled my service...1 1/2 months since I received a "final" bill of $0...I recieved a call saying I had a balance of $43 for some PPV I ordered in October. WHAT??? When I questioned the charges...I said I had a $0 balanice as 2 months ago...they said I could pay $1.75 per statement to get copies of my old ones to prove I didn't pay for it. WHAT?? So I told them [censored] themselves...so a week later I received a bill for these charges in the mail (after the call)...and then within a week of that I started getting calls from a collections company for the charges. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

• Pa
      1st of Jun, 2008
    Direct TV - Awful customer service
    www.directv.com

Direct TV automatically renewed MLB baseball package for $189 for this year. Because I did not see the "warning" on my bill, they refuse to give me a credit. I called last month, was told I would receive a full credit by Customer Service; she was overruled later by a supervisor, but I was not notified that I was not receiving the refund, based on receipt of my latest bill. They now refuse to give me any credit even though I am an "A" list customer (supposedly).

This is unacceptable and I am dropping service immediately and writing to the highest levels in the organization. Do not use their service; cable cannot be any worse.

• Ro
      1st of Jun, 2008

I would not get there service again if it was the last tv service on earth. I called them regarding cancelling my service and when my contract would be up. I was told 5-17-08 and would not get charged with any fees for cancelling if I returned my equeptment. I had already decided to cancel because of the poor install and when inquiring about a 3rd box was told I would have to drill another hole in the wall and string more wires thru my house not to mention they advertised they were cheaper than my cable company when I started service. Not to my suprise they are not cheaper they are much more than cable because you need to factor in cost of equeptment and service calls are not free even if its there fault. So I had cable installed and then called directv and told them I want to cancel my service. I was shocked that I was misslead to believe my contract was up 5-17-08 when infact it was not up until 9-09. I was then told there will be a 200 dollar fee to cancel and it would be placed on the card on file, mind you the card on file was to pay payments and I never signed up for automatic payments and this was going to happen in 3 days according to the rep. I asked if they could bill me instead and they said no. I told them I don't autherize them to use that credit card and they said too bad. Now I was very upset that I was mislead my contract was up and now I have to pay but I was even more upset they were holding my credit card as if I was going to not pay the bill. I went thru every avenue I have read about on here with there customer service and got no were. I finally gave up and agreed to pay the 200 dollars to end the issue and told them they just bought 200 dollars worth of the worst advertiseing as I am going to share this with everyone. I also had to cancel the card number as I was very nervious of them charging my account any amount they want and even having access to my bank info at this point. I just hope they don't try to bill me for more than the 200 dollars and as far as the contract I won't give them the new bank number so I am not sure were this will go but for god sake don't sighn up with these people they are the worst company I have ever done buisness with and won't even try to help you after that contract is signed.

• Cu
      5th of Jun, 2008

I ordered DirectTV after buying a plasma TV at Circuit City. After ordering the service and not receiving the installation or unit for over a month I called about the installation. I was told an error was made and an installation date was scheduled. The installer showed up (a subcontractor to DirectTV) with ONE HD receiver instead of the four ordered. The second time the an installer was sent out he showed up again with a single unit. A third time was scheduled and finally the two units showed up and were finally installed. Guess what happened then? DirectTV had the audicity to bill me for the service charges and the units after they told me I would not be charged for the units due to the numerous errors. This FREE installation was billed at over $600.00. After I refused to pay that amount they disconnected the service and billed me a $400.00 cancellation charge and turned it over for collection to CollectTech. I contacted CollectTech several times and spoke with Rachede Henry #3041119. I reached an (accord and satisfaction) a resolution with her and agreed on a correct amount which I then paid based upon our mutual promises. I was told that the service would be restored in fifteen minutes. After two hours the service was not restored so I contacted CollectTech again. I was then told that I would now have to pay another amount over $400.00 and said that the service would not be restored. I refused to pay any more since these errors were the sole fault of DirectTV. Today I had to cancel my debit card because of the behavior of both companies. Unfortunately for them I happen to be an attorney. Just to name of few of the grounds: Bait and Switch; Unfair Debt Collection Practices (usually allows for treble damages and attorneys fees; Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices (usually allows for treble damages and attorneys fees); fraud; negligence (misr;epresentation); prima facia tort (for States that have this remedy); Breach of Contract; just to name a few. I would also suggest that anyone injured by these deceptive practices report the behavior to the State Attorney General (they have been sued by an Attorney General and paid damages), and the FBI as this is not an isolated event but rather appears to be a practive of deceptive behavior and collection practices. Please contact me if you are interested in being a witness. I have every intention of suing DirectTV and CollectTech for these practices.

• Pr
      5th of Jun, 2008

Direct TV has NO customer service whatever! When they installed my system, the punched holes in my walls, my roof and did the sloppiest installation EVER! To this day, I have fought them and finally I just had it disconnected. I'll wait until I find a decent company who can do this right. For now - Screw DTV - I'll watch DVD's and get my news via the computer. RUN don't walk - from DTV!

10th of Jun, 2008

Direct TV Sucks... service sucks... charged me $1000 for unreturned equipment that I'm STILL using!!!

13th of Jun, 2008

BE CATIOUS, they will damage your property during the install. Lie about their intentions to fix the damage. Make up some 2-yr commitment and charge a cancalation fee. POOR, poor, poor customer service. Unfriendlys awful experieince only surpassed by TimeWarner; it must be an industry thing :(

• Te
      13th of Jun, 2008

I just got the shock of my life yestereday when I looked at my bank statement and Direct TV took 986.00 From my account. I now cannot pay my house or car. Do these people not understand budgets and that people usually live by them. The debit card company says there is nothing I can do until the boxes are in the companies hands and then maybe I will get 510.00 back. I do know now I will never ever ever do or recommend Direct TV

14th of Jun, 2008

I agree! I am in Houston but have experience nightmare service as well. I waited until after 2:30 for them to arrive for an appt. bwtn. 8am & noon. The installer drills 2 sets of holes in my new roof - and then tells me that he can't get a signal and leaves. Rude and unhelpful. I called to complain and they told me there was noone available to speak to me and they would put my name on a list to be contacted. Unbelievable!!
    I agree that some sort of action needs to be taken against them.

14th of Jun, 2008
    Direct TV - Nightmare!!!
    Phone: 888-777-2454

This has been a NIGHTMARE!!! I waited until after 2:30 for them to arrive for an appt. bwtn. 8am & noon. The installer drilled 2 sets of holes in my NEW roof - and then tells me that he can't get a signal, my neighbors tree will have to be taken down??!! He packs up his truck and leaves. EXTREMELY rude and unhelpful!!! I called to complain and they told me there was no one available to speak to me and they would put my name on a list to be contacted later. Unbelievable!!
    I agree that some sort of action needs to be taken against them.

16th of Jun, 2008

After having my Direct Tv for less than a month, I've lost service five times and not for two or three minutes. Called up to cancell service..after all the installer said I had 30 days to cancell.WRONG. Now i'm stuck with the decission of either living with not being able to watch Tv when i want or paying $420. Switching to Direct Tv is one of the worst things I've ever done. Say No To Diect Tv.

• Ha
    Charge for cancellation
    1505AVineland Circle
    Orange Park
    Florida
    Phone: 904 303 1558

Direct TV personnel will not give you a direct answer or complete a phone call concerning charges that were not agreed upon. No phone # to talk to a person long enough to get problem solved.

• Sh
      18th of Jun, 2008

In March 2008 I decided to call Direct TV and subscribe, I called up and talk to a gentleman who used the phrase “your total satisfaction” and “Commitment to Customer service” every couple of seconds. He convinced me that I would be very happy with Direct TV.

There was a $213.35 charged on my bank account at that time, but during my conversation with the representative I was NEVER informed that this fee was non-refundable.

My installation was scheduled for March 29th between 1:00 to 4:00pm, the technician showed up around 4:30pm with a trainee and took more than 2 hours to install the hardware (very simple installation, most of it to teach his trainee) and about an hour an a half to two hours trying to get the system to work, after making many attempts, phone calls, resetting, plugging and unplugging the receiver he was not able to make the HD DVR receiver to work, few times he thought that he had it but it would lose signal and display message “searching 777”.

By this time it was (Friday night) around 8:30pm, he said that there was something wrong with the receiver and I should wait until tomorrow and call him if I still were receiving the “searching 777” message, I tried few times to change channels but the same message was displayed. I switched to Dish Network (I was planning on cancelling after Direct TV was installed) and then I turned everything off and went to bed. By the way I requested three receivers and installations, only one receiver (HD DVR) was actually installed and the other two were on the carpet in my bedrooms and not installed or checked, the installer left my house with all the boxes and packaging spread all over my living room, at first I refused to sign the paperwork since nothing was working but he begged me to sign since he said that “he would be fired if I didn’t”, he gave me his hand written card with a phone number on it and asked me to call him first thing in the morning.

Since I work on Saturdays I got up early and checked the HD DVR Receiver, same message, no signal, I tried to change the channels no luck, turned everything off and went to work, I called the installer, lady answered the phone and put me on hold for about 25 minutes, I hung up and called 30 minutes later again the phone rang about 10 times lady answered before I could talk she put me on hold for another 20 or so minutes, I tried to call back later but phone would ring and no one would pickup the phone, that is when I tried to call Direct TV for help, the first person I talked to was Charlene, I explained to her my situation she apologized and told me that I had to contact the installer, I said that I had already tried, then click the line went dead. I called back and talked to Shantee, she forwarded me to Alicia and I was told that since I had the Spanish package I had to talk to someone else, I was transferred to a gentleman with Spanish accent who did not identify himself, after explaining my situation, click I was disconnected. I called back and Talked to Alina then transferred to Supervisor Dana (401578), I explained to her that I was getting the runaround and at that time I decided to cancel my service since I only had three days to cancel without a penalty, and I begged her to confirm, that is when she gave me her employee number for confirmation. (Spelling of some of the names may not be correct)

That was my Saturday’s work, needless to say I did not get anything accomplished at my Job, by the time I got home the service was already disconnected. I called on Sunday to ensure that my cancellation was official; Ken verified it.

Few days later I received three boxes from Direct TV asking me to return the receivers which I did the same day, confirmation Numbers were given to Wells Fargo Bank, ALL three receivers were delivered on 3/10/2008 and received by Cervantes, verified by Direct TV representative.

Few days later I noticed that my bank account was charged $426.48, I called Direct TV and talked to James (100161096) he looked it up and confirmed that I cancelled within the three days and my account should NOT have been charged the cancellation fee, but he asked me to write to billing, I called back and talked to Nydia, no help, that is when I decided to call my Bank to contest the charges, Bank representative asked me to have a conference call with Direct TV’s customer service representative, I agreed and she made the call and talked to Pam and then Supervisor Stephanie (100279374), during our phone conversation I explained everything that had happened and she agreed with me and agreed that I should get a FULL refund. Few weeks later I was credited $414.00 instead of $426.48, I did not contest the difference, I waited about a month and called my Bank to find out about the $213.35, since it was more than 30 days they reversed the charges. A week later I received a bill from Direct TV for the amount of 213.35.

I entered this agreement based on GOOD FAITH, professional installation, excellent customer service and a working system, in my opinion and in the opinion of most of Direct TV customer service representatives Direct TV failed to fulfill and deliver on their promise/contract and I am entitled to an unconditional full refund since I did not have a minute use of the system, my co-worker had a similar situation and had to wait almost a week to get another installer to fix his “searching 777” problem, he is still having problems with his HD DVR, so far Direct TV’s reply has been “it is a software problem and we are working on it”, by the way he is willing to testify to this matter, if and when necessary.

My account is now in collection and my credit in danger.

• Sh

Direct TV is a rip off,

In March 2008 I decided to call Direct TV and subscribe (what a mistake), I called up and talk to a gentleman who used the phrase “your total satisfaction” and “Commitment to Customer service” every couple of seconds. He convinced me that I would be very happy with Direct TV.

My account is now in collection and my credit in danger. By the way if you close your bank account and open a new one, Visa will forward the new number to them and they can charge you account again, according to my Bank.

• De
      19th of Jun, 2008
    Direct TV - Harassing calls
    www.directv.com

Direct TV has a disputed bill with someone who has my name. They keep calling me about the bill. I explain it isn't me and give them info to show it isn't. But a couple months later the calls start again! When I ask to speak with a supervisor they hang up on me. This has happened at least 5 times - and I can't get them to stop the calls.

Don't ever deal with this company - they obviously are slimy business people who are happy to harass people whether they are customers or not.

• Mi
      21st of Jun, 2008

IF A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT BEGINS, IM IN. !!!DIRECT TV RAISED THEIR RATES, AND I RETURNED TWO BOXES ALREADY, DEFECTIVE. THEY DONT TELL YOU WHEN YOU RETURN THEM YOU INITIATE YOUR BEGINNING DATE OF THE SO CALLED CONTRACT AGAIN. THERE MUST BE CONSUMER RIGHTS! COLLECTION AGENCY CALLING NOW, I REFUSE TO PAY IT. PERIOD. DEMANDED COPY OF SIGNED CONTRACT, WHICH I DIDNT SIGN. THEY WONT SUPPLY IT BUT CONTINUE TO HARRASS ME.
    DIRECT TV EVEN CALLED AND SAID HEY.. IF YOU RETURN TO US A CUSTOMER WELL CREDIT YOU $400.. WOW! ( THEY DONT TELL YOU THEYVE JUST BILLED YOU FOR IT FIRST.) THESE PEOPLE ARE EVIL AND HAVE NO MORALS, IMO.. CROOKS. AND THE EMPLOYEES JUST LAUGH ABOUT IT TOO, THEY ARE ALL ONTO THE 'GAME OF SCREW THE PUBLIC"

READ THE FINE PRINT FIRST..AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED, IMO.. IT READS:
    THEY ARE CROOKS. PERIOD.

I WOULD THINK AS CONSUMERS WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO CANCEL SERVICES W/O JACKED UP FEES.. WE HAVE A RIGHT TO CANCEL SERVICES IF WE ARE NOT PLEASED W/ THEIR SERVICES, RETURNING BOXES IS PROOF OF IT.

THIS IS A FROM OF CONSUER TERRORISM AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED.

KARMA HAPPENS THOUGH AND SPREAD THE WORD OF THEIR SHADY PRACTICES.. IT WILL IMPACT THEM AT SOME POINT. :)

2nd of Jul, 2008

I sent the following to The CEO Mr. Carey.
    This company is somthing else...

Dear Mr. Carey,
    The below letter from my wife was submited to DTV today, I have also forwarded the letter via email to Ellen Filipiak. I wanted to make you aware of the poor follow through by the DTV Customer Service Department. We have spent too much of our time doing DTV's leg work over and over, I hope by taking this to your level this problem will be resolved, and that administrative action will be taken with regards to those who have consistantly dropped the ball. I will be going to the media and seeking legal council if DTV does not refund the over billing. At this point I don't know how you could make us Happy Customers again.
    Sincerely,

P.O. Box 6550

Greenwood Village, CO 80155-6550

July 2, 2008

To Whom It May Concern:

I am dismayed how in the world your company has stayed in business with such horrific unethical business practices. Please reference the following accounts pertaining to this letter: 8007XXXX and 3687XXXX.

I have been the victim of what I feel is unjust and incomprehensible billing practices. I have called your company since April of 2008 to dispute the issues on my account and I have spoken with numerous customer representatives. In early June of 2008, after nearly 2 hours on the phone with Direct Tv, my husband and I were transferred to a supervisor named Bahr. At that time, Bahr reviewed our account and promised he would personally call us back regarding the credit of $286.35 we should be receiving for the mistake on our account. He also promised to credit us $10.00/month for the next six months and give us 3 full months of HBO and Cinemax programming at no additional cost. When I spoke to the customer representative on July 2, 2008, he was not aware of any of this in his notes on the account and after spending yet another hour of my life on the phone with your company, I was told to write a full and detailed letter explaining the problem with this account.

Here are the details. I had Direct Tv in my home in TN for 2 years under the account number 3687xxxx. I cancelled the account officially on July 3, 2007, due to the fact that we were moving to Southern Florida on July 5, 2008 and the home had been put up for sale. I left all of the Direct Tv equipment behind for the new owner to use and I never planned to resume having programming with Direct Tv. I proceeded to sign up with Brighthouse Networks for all of my cable programming, internet and phone service. I was very happy with Brighthouse, but when I decided to switch my wireless service to AT&T, I was given an offer to become a Direct TV customer at a reasonable cost and bundle all of my services. At the time it seemed like a wonderful idea and since I had been happy with Direct Tv in the past, I felt it was not a problem. That was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. When I opened up the new account through Bellsouth, Direct Tv, who had been told to cancel account #3687xxxx on July 3, 2007, automatically reactivated my old account, as they say it was just suspended. Not only did they reactivate an old account, they then activated a second account number 8007xxxx. I was unaware that two accounts had been activated under my name. NO ONE EVER NOTIFIED ME NOR MY HUSBAND THAT THE OLD ACCOUNT, WHICH WE CANCELLED, HAD BEEN REACTIVATED!!! WE DID NOT RECEIVE A LETTER, AN EMAIL or A PHONE CALL REGARDING THIS MATTER!!!

Direct TV took the liberty of charging my American Express card without my knowledge for the following:

Spread sheet removed for privacy

I agreed to allow the charges for $36.61, $69.61 and $104.94. I DID NOT AGREE TO ANY OTHER CHARGES ON MY ACCOUNT. I WANT TO BE REIMBURSED THE $136.23 and $150.12 that was charged erroneously to my account and in my opinion fraudulently!!!

You may reach me by any of the following:

Julie Knox

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, FL 32937

321-XXXXX
    321-XXXXX
    321-xxxxx ext. 1040

I REFUSE TO PAY ANY FURTHER MONIES TO THIS COMPANY. IF YOU DISCONNECT MY PROGRAMMING ON JULY 12. 2008, I WILL PROCEED TO DROP OF MY EQUIPMENT TO ONE OF YOUR LOCATIONS and I WILL SUBSCRIBE TO BRIGHTHOUSE NETWORKS. I WILL NOT PAY THIS COMPANY FOR THE TWO YEAR EARLY OPT OUT IF THIS DOES HAPPEN WITHOUT LEGAL INTERVENTION.

JULIE XXXX

• Si
      14th of Jul, 2008

After about an hour EACH MONTH spent on hold and with account representatives at Direct TV...mainly "Billing", I am fed up. Doesn't ANYONE in this company have the ability to put something in record on your account, like a simple change, so it sticks? Apparently not. You talk to one Rep one month who assures you "the change is recorded" only to speak to a different Rep the next month after finding out nope, it sure wasn't, yes indeedy it's on your bill again... Oh THIS time I asked for some kind of confirmation code - NOPE, they don't do that. You just take the word of whoever you are speaking to about the problem that it's fixed. Oh maybe they will...maybe they won't...maybe it's time for lunch and they are late for their manicure appointment and Opps! Overlooked that!

I had signed up with them as part of a package deal billed for their services through my local phone company. One day this all changed and NO ONE could explain to me why. I've paid every single bill either through the phone company or - now - billed directly through them/to them ... only to be sent "double" bills with the excuse of "Oh we ALWAYS bill one month in advance"; if you are caught up JUST HAVING SENT THEM A CHECK, you get a "Past Due/Service Disconnet" massive bill 30 days later with the excuse of "Oh we sent you out a bill, it must have just not gotten to you". WTF? No, it wasn't due until now, you just decided to ignore my last month's legitimate gripes about double billing and choose to do it anyway, now with the excuse of you sent a bill out, I must have just missed it.

Sorry, didn't dust off my crystal ball, having paid last month I didn't anticipate a mid billing cycle/15 day bill for that extra month service you've been trying to stick me with the past 3 months...

Yes, the woman I spoke to today told me I should have ANTICIPATED the extra billing within the past 30 days and in all good concious should have rushed straight to my telephone and called. Uh huh. Nope, the bill IS here, and it is WRONG again, and I'll be you my first born you didn't send out an extra bill between June 11th and July 11th. So from being paid up June 11 --- July 11 I owe you $198 bucks. Just like that.

What a bunch of liars! They will try every spin excuse in the book from "Phone company didn't send us the payment" to "the bill must have been lost in the mail" to "we always bill a month in advance". Yeah, no ### sherlock, that is why I had to debit YOUR FIRST BILL out of my checking account when I signed up...before your guy even showed up to hook up the dish...and haven't missed a payment SINCE but now you want ANOTHER advance payment since you are billing directly instead of through my phone company.

SIgh. Yeah, this is a rant all right. I feel like ranting. Every month I've had to waste the minimum of AN HOUR on the phone, on hold and getting bumped from person to person, blood pressure soaring to near stroke level. But hey, this internet rant is good, my prevailing thought at this moment is to rip the dish off the side of the house with my bare hands, put it on a nice neat pile in the street along with the receivers and remotes, put my truck in 4 wheel drive and drive over the whole sorry ### pile. Several times. Maybe about 25. Because that's what I make an hour, you dickless wonders, and because I've spent about 3 hours in the past 3 months on the phone with you during my working hours, YOU owe ME.

Yes, I will cancel them. Hell I'll even pay the CURRENT PLUS ADVANCE payment I don't owe just to get the hell away from them! From the complaints I am reading about them on the web, that isn't going to be any easy task, either: people are saying when you cancel they will not credit the equipment you return to them for an average of about three months...and bill you for said equipment (back in their possesion) in the meantime. Great, huh? Kind of like a parasite that refuses to leave it's host. Better stock up on the blood pressure meds. Better yet - DON'T SIGN UP WITH DIRECT TV!!!

• Va
      16th of Jul, 2008

I ordered DirectTV and I was promised a free install, an HD DVR box and some free movie packages..

The guy shows up and gives me a HD box... He said that's what's on the work order..

When I contact the 800 number, they tell me that I have to buy one for $99 dollars...

I called back the next day to buy it, they say it's $199 and not $99... even though it was suppose to be free to begin with..

The service sux and so does the customer service...