Direct TV / very poor service and unacceptable contract

I have had direct TV now for about three months and have had one problem after another. I had initially switched from cable to DirectTV because I thought that their high definition service would be superior. Big mistake. Since the time of install I have been through 4 high definition receivers, each one failing for a different reason. When your service goes out with DirectTV your only option is to wait for a replacement box or for a service tech which in my case has taken close to a week each time. My service has been so spotty that I have had to retain my cable so that I have a backup. Talk about spending too much for T.V. service. Now that my experience with these buffoons has soured to the point it has i decided that i had had enough. Unfortunately their two year contract insulates them from having to provide any level of acceptable service at all. Even though my experience has been a nightmare and I have spent countless valuable hours trying to resolve issues they will not offer to terminate my contract no matter how many times I have requested this. I am currently without any service again and I have decided that I am going to bite the bullet and pay the termination fee. I am not litigious person but have considered taking these bullies to court. I can't imagine that I am the only person that has had these issues. I would avoid doing business with this company at all cost. I wish good luck to all those that are in the same boat as me.

Comments

• Ca
      29th of Oct, 2007
    Direct TV - Inexcusable Customer Sevice Part 2

Tom said he would correct this and call in 4 hours to make sure everything was working. No call ever came. The next night there was a 3 hour conversation with Supervisor Kathy. During that conversation it was discovered our credit card had been charged $21.24 for shipping and handling of something. She didn't know what it was and our billing account had been charged $70 for repairs. She should be fired. It should not take a "Supervisor" 3 hours to do nothing but set up another repair appointment that we would again have to pay for. I let her set it up and the next day called our local Ironwood company. They do the contract work for Direct TV here in the Kansas City area. Valerie in their office was a gift from GOD. She set up an appointment for the next day and the problem was solved that night. It apparently was the dish itself. Meanwhile I spoke with Supervisor Justin in ID (Badge #U1058) . I told him an unauthorized charge was made to our credit card. He determined Tony in the Retention Dept in Al (Badge #U7402) had authorized the $70 charge to our statement. I told him those were to be removed. We are contacting the Attorney General in MO. Let's hope Justin keeps his word and removes the charges. Can't wait until our "Contract" is up. BEWARE OF DIRECT TV.

• Br
      30th of Oct, 2007

I had a very similar experience a couple days ago.

(keep in mind I haven't had a contract with them for SOME time, i completed it successfully)

Last summer, and this summer, I had a whole bunch of reception problems with my dish, which kept going unresolved, I figure it was due to placement since the leaves are gone in the winter maybe thats what it was, but this summer it kept happening, so I got some people to come out (from DirecTV) to look at the problem, they basically told me they couldn't move it because they didnt get paid enough money that the "real" guy would have to come out and remove the dish and re-install it... he came out and basically said that there was "no need to move it" that it was due to this one tree (which I doubted), I broke all the limbs off it, and still had the problem.... I wrote them and said "this problem cant be resolved then I will be forced to cancel"... nothing... so a short time later, I ordered cable service and sent them an email (through their website) stating i specifically wanted to cancel... at the time i owed them about 63 $ ... I waited... nothing... (at the time I couldn't call them oh a home phone, and basically could only contact them through email).

I emailed them back and said "I WANT MY SERVICE CANCELED"... finally after a month and a half or so went by I got an email from them saying they couldn't cancel until I called them on the phone... I said, Ive told you i cant call you, this is the only way I can contact you, they basically said thats not good enough... (ridiculous)... so another month went by... I notice my termination date was changed and my service was continued... again and again... and then all the sudden the other day I receive an email saying my service was gonna be cancelled and that my balance was like 200 $...

Last night i looked at my bank account and BOOM 204.75 was taken out of my bank account without my permission... I was LIVID to say the least... furthermore it OVERDREW MY ACCOUNT and I got charged an overdraft fee...

Long story short I called their customer service [censored]ing at about 3 am and was basically told that it would be sent to the billing dept and they would contact me in about a week (or less?) to see if they could "help me somehow".

I dont believe for a second that Im going to get my money back... I dont mind paying them for the month i owed them in July but I refuse to accept that the rest of that was my responsibility since I specifically asked to be disconnected more than one time, in fact numerous times.

What can I do?

31st of Oct, 2007
    Direct TV - Unauthorized charge to my card!

On the day I canceled they told me they'd charge me $120, I told them even on that day I wouldn't have the money in my account, can I pay half now and half in two weeks. I was canceling not because I wanted to, but I had no choice it was due to circumstances beyond my control. Not only did they not care, they automatically withdrew $160.33 and caused me overdraft fees. I talked to TEN+ reps about this, and everyone's reply was the same "It's our policy, it's automatic and we couldn't take your credit card off the account." STAY AWAY FROM DIRECT TV! CABLE MAY COST A LITTLE MORE BUT I TRUST IT'S BETTER SERVICE!

31st of Oct, 2007

The same thing happened to me, only on the day I canceled they told me they'd charge me $120, I told them even on that day I wouldn't have the money in my account, can I pay half now and half in two weeks. I was canceling not because I wanted to, but I had no choice it was due to circumstances beyond my control. Not only did they not care, they automatically withdrew $160.33 and caused me overdraft fees. I talked to TEN+ reps about this, and everyone's reply was the same "It's our policy." STAY AWAY FROM DIRECT TV! CABLE MAY COST A LITTLE MORE BUT I TRUST IT'S BETTER SERVICE!

31st of Oct, 2007

Unbelievable!!! These people treated me like a second-rate customer, refused to work with me to pay my cancellation fee rather than charging it to a card that had sufficient funds (thus causing me overdraft fees) then had the nerve to keep calling asking me to come back!!!

• Wi
      6th of Nov, 2007

I am going to cancel my service with direct TV. Because they are adding additional charges to my account without my authorization.They have told me I am responsible for a old account that did not belong to me. That was account under my father name Willie Caldwell that was in the past. When I started with direct I paid them 112.00 that they don't have any record of my payment. They say I got started in April and a payment wasn't made until may. That is not right; APRIL PAYMENT-112.50 MAY-42.89 JUNE-61.89 JULY-76.89 AUG-8984 SEPT-48.06 OCT-78.06.OCT bill was not paid, do to the additional charges of $265.91 That I was not responsible for. In all they won't me to pay$346.67 to keep my service. If needed I do have all my bank statement. They also bill me for magazine special price for 12 months for 2.99, that I didn't ask for. Please let me hear from you if I can get some help.

• Wa
      14th of Nov, 2007

I have recently had several problems with Direct TV. My ex-husband upgraded to HDTV. When he paid $100 for the receiver, he was never told is was a lease. He moved out and cancelled the HDTV. He had to send the receiver back or I was going to be charged. Second, my service got cut. There was a $212 early cancellation fee on my account, I have had the service since 2000. When I called, I was told that when he upgraded to HDTV that extended our contract till Feb 09. This was never relayed. Now, I called on 10/19 and made a payment over the phone. At that time, I was told they needed to have a credit card on file. Two days later, another charge was taken out of my account I did not authorize. I have called 4 times, received 4 different responses and the last call, I was told that whenever a credit card is given, that is authorizing automatic payment. When I said this was never relayed, I was told that it is within their guidelines and it is posted on their website. Something needs to be done about them.

• Pa
      17th of Nov, 2007
    direct - no rebate
    1516 n 60th st
    Philadelphia
    Pennsylvania
    Phone: 215-294-8748

i intalled direct tv in my home about 3 yrs ago and i was told if i paid i would get a rebate. of course nothing happened. i filed a caomplaint with the attorney general's office in pa to no avail. i recently bill about a settlement received a notation in my cable a settlement

19th of Nov, 2007

I can't add anything different, $ 200+ deducted with no human contact options. CLASS ACTION seems like the only option for any of us. Let me know the next step. Good luck all!!!

• Do
      21st of Nov, 2007

CONTACT YOUR STATE ATTORNEY GENERALS OFFICE ASAP - THIS IS A CRIME... and these are the only people who can help.

• Pe
      24th of Nov, 2007

I have had Direct Tv for a long time I paid my last bill however the representative failed to let me know there was more that I owed. Needless to say they cut me off. I called their customer services hoping to get some help instead I got two rude ladies with one that told me I should pay bills. Well at this point I was very upset I have had enough that was out of line to talk to a customer like this however the two witches can ride there broom south because I plain on paying this bill and filing a large complaint. Direct tV customer service sucks.

27th of Nov, 2007

I also have had the same issue, deducted $160 from my bank account with out authorization. I have spent over 15 hours on the hone with their Customer Service people, spoke to various "supervisors", was "accidentally disconnected" along with being spoken to like I had an IQ of below 70.

I just sent my receiver boxes back that same day, so I am just waiting for another debit for "not" getting the receivers back, in their pre-paid boxes. I am also ready for a CLASS ACTION SUIT. Needless to say I am not sure who to contact about a SUIT. Of anyone can help please let me know.

Thanks.

• De
      28th of Nov, 2007

In September 2007 Verizon offered a package deal includeing Direct Tv for an extra $15.00 a month. 3 months later and we are still paying $62.94 a month for Direct tv basic package. We have tryed several times to get this matter taken care of both through Verizon and Direct TV and they say they have no record of the offer. My advice to everyone is Never get involved with any offer through Verizon for Direct Tv.

• Cr
      29th of Nov, 2007

Im in a similar situation. I cancelled my service and I specifically asked for information on the previous balance I had with them. Their customer service representative said that Direct TV doesnt do payment arrangements and that I will have to pay all at once when I can pay. NEVER DID SHE STATE OR IMPLY that it would be deducted from my account..$202 thats what was missing from my account yesterday not to mention overdraft fees from the bank...

CLASS ACTION... Im down and I just need to know what to do next...

• Da
      29th of Nov, 2007

### Direct TV. Have you ever tried to get through to someone. It's near to impossible and if they need to transfer you, you will alway get disconnected after long wait times. And forget asking for a supervisor. They don't exist.

I believe DT is run by Apes and chimps... I hate these cheating ###.

30th of Nov, 2007

We just went through the refurbished scam. Got a new one, but only because of an honest service man.

• Je
      1st of Dec, 2007
    Direct TV - HDDVR and HD service
    Direct TV

WARNING! Buyer beware! I
    Submitted by Anonymous on Sat, 12/01/2007 - 1:26pm.

WARNING!

Buyer beware!
    I went down to Best Buy and paid for a HDDVR, it took two month to install due to Direct TV had to many orders.

A year later I disconnected the service and I come to find out the HDDVR I paid for was just a lease and now they want it back.
    how do you spell ripped off DIRECT TV.

you need to know the HD they are selling is just a smaller screen, I have a big screen TV and if I put it in HD it is reduced on all sides to half the size of the TV screen.

Don't waist your money, oh they are charging me the 2nd years of the contract for HD service for the disconnect charge.

5th of Dec, 2007

Called Direct TV today to cancel my service. I just moved into a new house and do not feel like having holes drilled into my walls and roof and probably left unsealed again.

Was told that I would be charged an early termination fee for not fulfilling the 24 month contract that I was never made aware of and never agreed to. I picked Direct TV specifically because I could find no mention whatsoever on their website that specified that you would be signing up for a commitment of a certain duration.

If there were in fact such information buried somewhere in a click-through license agreement it was never stated on the main pages that outlined pricing and conditions.

I was further informed that "for my convenience" the termination fee would be charged to my credit card on file. I informed the CSR that that credit card was used only for one time payments and they were not authorized to make any charges against it. That did however not seem to concern him the least. I then asked him to kindly remove my credit card information from the file but he said that was impossible because it was in my _file_. While I realize these CRSs are paid to just repeat the scripts they have been given, this company seems to have no regards for laws whatsoever.

One question, did any of you that had Direct TV charge your accounts call your bank to inform them that the transaction was not authorized by you?

• Ca
      7th of Dec, 2007

I signed a one year agreement with direct tv last dec. I called to cancel this month and had already paid this months bill. The lady I talked to said my contract was not up til the end of this month. I already paid for this month. today they stole 121.00 out of my checking account. When I called to ask for my money back I was told I had a two year agreement. They are theives, and they know it.

9th of Dec, 2007

Direct TV SUCKS!!! We should all take them to a class action. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE. I AM NEVER TAKING THEIR SERVICE. I JUST SENT TO 35,000 EMPLOYEES IN MY COMPANY REGARDING THEIR POOR BEHAVIOR.

YOU ALL SHOULD DO THE SAME. LET THE WORLD KNOW ABOUT THEM.