Direct TV / very poor service and unacceptable contract

I have had direct TV now for about three months and have had one problem after another. I had initially switched from cable to DirectTV because I thought that their high definition service would be superior. Big mistake. Since the time of install I have been through 4 high definition receivers, each one failing for a different reason. When your service goes out with DirectTV your only option is to wait for a replacement box or for a service tech which in my case has taken close to a week each time. My service has been so spotty that I have had to retain my cable so that I have a backup. Talk about spending too much for T.V. service. Now that my experience with these buffoons has soured to the point it has i decided that i had had enough. Unfortunately their two year contract insulates them from having to provide any level of acceptable service at all. Even though my experience has been a nightmare and I have spent countless valuable hours trying to resolve issues they will not offer to terminate my contract no matter how many times I have requested this. I am currently without any service again and I have decided that I am going to bite the bullet and pay the termination fee. I am not litigious person but have considered taking these bullies to court. I can't imagine that I am the only person that has had these issues. I would avoid doing business with this company at all cost. I wish good luck to all those that are in the same boat as me.

Comments

• Ro
      24th of Sep, 2007

They did the same thing to me except.

I has not home when my systemm was installed. My wife was. The instaoller ran a phone line to the receiver by RUNNING A CORD IN THE MIDDLE OF MY LIVINGROOM ON TOP OF THE CARPET. I had endless problems with them and many calls to customer service.

They were rude as all getout!! I finally told them to shut it off!! TGhey told me I had a two year contract. I told them "###" I will not pay it and I did not. They have been houding me for over a year now and I have asked SEVERAL times for them ot produce one single shred of evidence.

They changed their tune and now say the contract was verbal. I again told them "###" no such contract is valid and again to provide proof!

They have ruined my credit and costed me some more money.

Here is the rub. I do have enough money to sue them. I am sorry for the gal above. I will get even with them for all of us!

• Ar
      24th of Sep, 2007

WOW!
    Reading these complaints has helped us tremendously.
    We were so close to signing up with Direct TV for our home-we have four televisions that are HD and different kids with different tastes.
    Our bill with Time Warner is atronomical but everybody thought Direct would be a better deal and we would get more.
    Thanks for steering us away from Direct.

• Jd
      27th of Sep, 2007
    Direct TV - From owning to leasing and fraud charges

My husband and i bought a tivo @ circuit city dec.Of 2004. That time we had sbc services. We decided to go with direct tv when we moved to another place in 2006. We went to exchange the tivo that we bought and got a dvr . It was making loud popping noises. Recently we had to cancel our service due to the apartment having lots of rules and regulations on how to hang the satellite. First we were told the situation was out of our hands that we didn't have to pay a cancellation fee. Called to see how returning the dvr was going to work. During that phone call a lady told us that we would be billed a cancellation fee and that it would be mailed to us.The lady was informed by us on the situation that we talked to a manager and we didn't have to pay anything. We were frustrated because we were told one thing and direct tv totally the opposite. Nothing was never really settle after talking to her and other agents and a manager. A couple of days later we were charged out of our account $87 without us knowing. We called to see how they got our account number an agent said we had to give bank info when starting out. On the hand, we had a different account when we started with them. Payments were made online through our card so they had to get it that way. The second thing happened to us today we were charged out of our account $216. 50. We called and they told us that we had an extra dvr. We explained to the agent that we had bought one in 2004 and then exchanged it 2006when they just started to lease. They told us that once we exchanged it that it was a lease. But, that is not right we originally bought that one in 2004 before they started to do the leasing thing. I hate the fact that you call and explain things to an agent and think you got everything taking care of and only to find out nothing was!!! It should be a fraud that they take money out without talking to someone!

Sincerely frustrated

• Ta
      27th of Sep, 2007

My husband and I bought a Tivo @ Curcuit City Dec.of 2004. That time we had SBC services. We decided to go with Direct TV when we moved to another place in 2006. We went to exchange the Tivo that we bought and got a DVR . It was making loud popping noises. Recently we had to cancel our service due to the apartment having lots of rules and regulations on how to hang the satelite. First we were told the situation was out of our hands that we didn't have to pay a cancellation fee. Called to see how returning the DVR was going to work. During that phone call a lady told us that we would be billed a cancellation fee and that it would be mailed to us.The lady was informed by us on the situation that we talked to a manager and we did't have to pay anything. We were frustrated because we were told one thing and Direct TV totally the opposite. Nothing was never really settle after talking to her and other agents and a manager. A couple of days later we were charged out of our account $87 without us knowing. We called to see how they got our account number an agent said we had to give bank info when starting out. On the hand, we had a different account when we started with them. Payments were made online through our card so they had to get it that way. The second thing happened to us today we were charged out of our account $216. 50. We called and they told us that we had an extra DVR. We explained to the agent that we had bought one in 2004 and then exchanged it 2006when they just started to lease. They told us that once we exchanged it that it was a lease. But, that is not right we originally bought that one in 2004 before they started to do the leasing thing. I HATE THE FACT THAT YOU CALL AND EXPLAIN THINGS TO AN AGENT AND THINK YOU GOT EVERYTHING TAKING CARE OF AND ONLY TO FIND OUT NOTHING WAS!!! IT SHOULD BE A FRAUD THAT THEY TAKE MONEY OUT WITHOUT TALKING TO SOMEONE!

Sincerely FRUSTRATED

29th of Sep, 2007

I agree!! I was scammed by there replacemment DVR's as well. The scam is to have sighn the contract for the dvr to be installed free and at no charge for the unit as long as you complete the contract. Here is the thing;;; They send you a refurbished receiver to begin with that you own since you signed the contract. Well about 2 weeks later it starts to give you issues so you call direct tv and have them replace it........Well when you have the one you own replaced they send you a leased receiver and extend your contract with out telling you 1st so you can at that time decide if thats what you want to do. So when they do this you then just shipped them back YOUR OWENED dvr and your contract is extended not another year but 3 YEARS!!!!!!!!! more. Wow if this is not criminal activity ............... By a large corporate company that millions of lawyers could have a hay day with, Buy somehow nothing is being done???? Our goverment is allowing them to do this PEOPLE so dont get mad at them get mad at our lobbiest country that only benefits the corporations of america. Direct tv does this because they no theuy can or they definitely would not be doing it trust me! So get mad at the right people that let this happen our Goverment!!! Oh yea this is" The United States Of Corporations" Not the States people!!!

• Al
      4th of Oct, 2007

DIRECT TV IS A SCAM! They extended our contract without telling us, so we have a cancelation fee in our credit card. They extended it because they sent a new receiver, so we totally agree with these complaint comments. Can somebody do something about it??? IT IS A REAL SCAM! BE CAREFUL CONSUMERS! You should get a different TV service , get out while you can and if you are out...stay that way!

• Do
      4th of Oct, 2007

OMG How can they do this. They just took 669.06 out of my Debit Card, now I am broke. I had service before the new policy went into affect, paid a couple bills online and now they think they can charge this?? Unreal.

On July 1rst I called Direct TV and wanted to move my service, they said it would cost $200.00 to move my service. I said to heck with that, I want my service cancelled now, period. They said ok, sure, and were going to send some "prepaid" boxes so I can return the DVR and other receiver.

Time passes, I log into my account online to check to see what is up, or if I can actually tell from online. I see the service still active, they are still billing me for service when the receivers are not even hooked up. I called right away and they said, our bad. I also asked about the "prepaid" boxes that I have not received. They actually did send them, but they were returned because Direct TV did not have the right address, you know the one I gave them, and they say its my fault. Well even if they had sent to the former address, they would have been forwarded. But they didn't even send it to a state I have ever lived in. Now i say your bad.

I show I owed then about $30.00 for service when I cancelled. Today they charged for 3 months of service, you know after I cancelled, and for not returning the receivers, you know 4 days after they said they are sending out "prepaid" boxes to the "right" address. I just called them 3 times and they said when they got the receivers back they would refund part of that, I said you will refund it all. They now claim what they did not claim before, and that is I never cancelled service on July 1, they agreed with me last time i talked to them that I did.

Basically Direct TV lost me as a customer because I moved and they didn't want my service anymore. Then Direct TV wanted to keep billing me. Then Direct TV charged me "behind my back" and illegally for service I cancelled and for receivers they didnt want back, because they on purpose sent the "prepaid" boxes to somebody else.

Direct TV needs to DIE. You will all hear about me in the news one day............." Former Direct TV Customer BLOWS......" Well you get the idea. DIRECT TV IS MY NUMBER ONE AND ONLY REASON TO GO TO JAIL RIGHT NOW. I cannot work next week because they took what money I had. I will go down in a Blaze of Glory for what I believe in.

6th of Oct, 2007
    Charge for cancellation

False Advertising; lying; poor service; worse customer service; incorrect billing; false charges; illegal and improper business tactics...

USE THIS LINK:

FIGHT BACK.

• Ti
      6th of Oct, 2007
    Direct TV - Billed for service after cancellation

I contacted Direct TV's local dealer to cancel service just before my monthly billing period began this past June and I was informed that I would get a final bill in the mail. My next bill came in July and was for a complete month. I contacted Direct TV at this point and they replied that they would cancel my account, but a representative would contact me within forty eight hours to discuss other options with me, I replied that I did not need to discuss anything just cancel my service. This time I did not pay my bill. In August I received a bill for the basic package that I had been receiving, but they did drop Showtime. I did not pay this bill either and both called and e-mailed them to cancel my service and to credit me for the months they had billed after I wanted service stopped, plus the late fees. I heard nothing else from them until September when they had changed me to a bill for minimum service, still had the balance from the previous months, and late fees. I did not pay this bill either and on October 1 I received an e-mail that they had disconnected my service and I would get a bill for all of these charges that I should have not been billed for in the first place. Today I was checking my credit card balance and they had charged the balance to my credit card the next day after service was finally disconnected, without my permission or even notifying me. What happened to the I will send you a bill. This company is the biggest bunch of con artist that I have had the misfortune to have to deal with. I have challenged the billing with my credit card issuer. If this does not work I will file a complaint with the state Attorney General's Office. Tell everyone you know to stay away from dealing with this company.

7th of Oct, 2007
    Direct TV - Geographic discrimination

Direct TV refuses to show up to scheduled service calls in area 35 miles outside of Memphis. All sorts of excuses - wrong day, too busy. They even LIED and said the technician showed and we weren't there, even after we had spoken with the technician who admitted he would not make it. ONE HOUR phone tree. Obvious discrimination based on area although we pay the same for TV. Have been without service for 2 months yet Direct TV refuses a refund.

• Ri
      9th of Oct, 2007

You are not "screwed", signing a contract for service where the person providing the service does not provide a reasonable version of what you agreed to purchase will change the terms of the contract (i.e. fees) at any time, is called an unconscionable (sorry for spelling) contract. It is illegal to have something so outrageous that they can say we can charge you for wanting to cancel our service because we don't provide the service you are contracted for with us.

Contact the BBB at BBB.org and state your problem, set in the complaint resolution portion that you want out of your contract with no penalties due to them not providing the service you contracted with them for in the first place. If you buy a TV from a store and they never deliver it, you are not bound to pay for it, right? You fill out an on line form and it is quick and easy.

Use the following address in your complaint:

DirecTV, Inc.
    PO Box 6550
    Greenwood Village CO 80155-6550

Attention: Ms. Jill LaVigne Vice President of Direct TV

Do it for yourself and others who will get screwed in the future. The more complaints that roll into the BBB, the more attention they will need to pay to it as the competition will be able to use it against them ESPECIALLY when they advertise uptime and customer service unparalleled in the industry. NOTE!!!! When the BBB contacts Direct TV, they will send you a letter, one page, easy read. Read it and check the box labeled the problem is still unresolved, if it is and mail it back to the BBB immediately. If you get the letter and sit on it or worse yet do not return it, they will close the case and let them off the hook. If you mail it back, another letter goes to Direct TV. If they do not reply in time or do not resolve it, it goes on their permanent record for others to see on the BBB web site. For the price of a stamp it is well worth it if the problem is still unresolved.

• Fr
      11th of Oct, 2007

I have also had so many problems with Direct TV. The level of unprofessionalism their customer service department displays is unreal. It is always "your fault."

The first lie I was told was upon installation. I requested a pole for the Dish. The guy told me I did not request one, (which I did) and that it would have to go on the roof. Then he told me I did not have to have a phone jack next to my receivers (which I now know I do.)

Then every time it "drizzled" the picture would go out.

I try to order a pay-per-view and the receiver says to call them to order. I call them and get charged $4.99 plus the pay-per-view cost, $4.99 for a phone order. I called them numerous times about this problem and complained about the phone in fee, for I had no choice. Then they tell me I have to have a phone line connected to it 24 hrs before I want to watch a pay -per-view. I say fine. Plug it in 48 hrs before, and it still forces me to call them and I get charged again. Then they say, to avoid phone charges order online. Fine. I set up an online account. Get charged $1.99 processing fee every online order. You pay for your events online. I get the bill and what do you know, charged again.

I finally had enough with calling them. Every time you call them, they make it out like you are a fool and they have better things to do than talk to you. I called Comcast and got cable.

So I call to cancel my service. First of all they ask you why you are canceling. So I told them. Then the rep lit me up about how I was doing everything wrong and how it is my fault the stupid dish never worked. Ok, whatever. Come and get this dish.

Then rep then tells me the Dish is mine and it is my responsibility to take it off the roof. In short, I told him it was not mine , I never signed anything saying it was mine; you do not have a paid invoice for a satellite; you do not have any canceled checks that say I bought a satellite; There is nothing in your contract that says the dish is owned by the customer.

I am now talking to lawyer friends to see what I can do about having them come and get their dish and fixing my roof. Direct TV is not worth it. It was the worst year of my life and I will never, ever go back to them. I would rather get a clothes hanger and some fishing line then get them again.

• Ju
      13th of Oct, 2007
    Charge for cancellation

This is in regards to my mothers contract she is 81 years old and early stages of altizmers and did this without me knowing about it and now they want $132.52 because is was canceled she didn't understand how to operate the tv or remote

• Cu
      14th of Oct, 2007

My husband and I were so happy to see all the wonderful programs and packages that were offered by Direct TV via mail. We went ahead and canceled our local cable service, and were looking forward to all this new programs that will come on.

Appointment #1 10/2/07: A technician was scheduled to come out and complete the “easy installation process” on 10/2/2007 between 12-4p.m. I was more than happy to take half day off from work waiting for the technician. The technician ended up showing up at 5:30p.m. I was a bit unhappy thinking that I could have been working all day. But since this was supposed to be a 1-time thing. No biggie. The tech guy told me that there were several issues and he wouldn’t be able to install it. He said that since my Internet line has not been switched to a standalone, my Internet service would not work if he installed the Direct TV Service. I explained to him that the Internet guy would come out and fix it 2 days later, and I could live without the Internet service for a few days. Then, he found another excuse not to do it. He told us that they need two plugs on the back of our TV in order to install the DVR, and the only way that can be done is if we are willing to pay $85 and he would run a line thru the attic. My husband and I talked about it over the phone and we agreed to pay and got the whole thing over with. Then, he spent about 2 minutes in the attic and he decided that it was more worked that needed to be done then he expected, he would need to reschedule and come out on Saturday again. This guy is from “Ironwood Communications” located in Chandler, Arizona.

Appointment #2 10/6: After several days of not having our TV service, we were still happy that the same installer would be coming out and installed the dish for us. It turned out that Ironwood contracted some other company to complete the installation for us. Not the same guy who promised me that could come back out. These crews explained to us that they could run a line through one of our bedrooms and still gave us a free installation. While all 3 of them began the installation process, I wanted to confirm that they were aware of the special program I ordered called “ the Jadeworld”. They immediately stop the installation process and told me that they were not being told, and they did not have the “International dish” for programs to come on. They told me they would come out the same night with the correct dish, which turned out to be the next day, and reschedule again to the following Monday.

Appointment #3 10/8 and 10/9: A guy showed up on time. This is a different tech guy again. Prior to the installation, we explained to him that we need a 3LNB dish for Jadeworld channels to come on. He did not bother looking into it and started installing the international dish. We figured he is the expert, not us, and he insisted that he knew what he was doing. After 4 hours of installation, he could not activate the Jadeworld channels. Then he realized that we were right all along. What we need was the 3LNB, not the international dish. Since it was getting really late at night and he could not finished wiring all the rooms, we allowed him to complete the rest the next day.

Appointment #4 10/13: We were on the phone with Direct TV for an hour and a half trying to get this rescheduled. We told them that all we needed is the correct dish for the Jadeworld channels to kick in. Nothing more. Direct TV scheduled with “Ironwood Communications” again for the installation, supposedly between 4-8p.m. My husband called the local office on Wednesday and checked if they could come out earlier. Unfortunately, they were all booked up. My husband and I waited patiently until Saturday, and a guy from Ironwood Communications by the name of “Sean” called us and canceled our appointment. He forced us to reschedule the appointment because “there was miscommunication between Ironwood and sub-contractors”, and “he was not aware our appointment”. He told us that he was just a tech and he had no control over this. Finally, we had to call direct TV again and on hold for an hour, did a 3 way phone call with Ironwood Communications. We were on hold for 30 minutes before someone finally picked up the phone. Not only she was not being understanding in regards to our frustration towards the situation, she was extremely rude to us (and direct TV Staff) over the phone. Direct TV customer service rep explained to them that if they didn’t correct their mistake and came out the same night, the customer was going to cancel. Their response was “that’s not our problem, go ahead and cancel then”.

Each time we dealt with Direct TV, we were on the phone for about an hour and a half, and got transferred from one department to another the whole time. Not to mention none of the supervisor will pick up the phone and speak with any customers. They are Horrible!

• Ro
      15th of Oct, 2007

I called them to disconnect in March 2007 after having met my contract. They asked why I was disconnecting. I said Dish offered a free DVR- so they offered to provide me with a free DVR if I did not cancel. Ok. Then in May I canceled because I was moving. After the move I received a bill for $263 for an early cancellation fee. I called and informed them I had met my contract in March- they then said that by accepting the DVR I extended my contract by 2 years! I was not informed of any such thing at the time that I accepted it nor when I called and canceled. So I wrote and sent it certified a letter of dispute to their dispute office. They sent back a letter simply stating they do not require signatures and the debt is valid. Now they have a collection agency threatening to put this on my credit report!! I asked for a recorded conversation that I was informed of this extension and they cannot provide it. I do not feel it fair or valid and do not wish to pay this rip off company but do not want my credit ruined!

18th of Oct, 2007

I am so mad at the moment I can hardly write. Long story short, I got charged for programs I did not want... specifically NFL Superfan package. Because the season started I will be charged nonetheless. After I repeatedly stated I did not order it, they pretty much said too bad. Does this mean they can order anything they want for their customers and charge us with no retaliation. I wanted to cancel my service immediately. I started service November 2006 with a two year commitment. I was told it will be $20 per month charge for outstanding months... fine. I just wanted out of Direct TV. Thinking my contract will expire November 2008, I could pay the penalty. I later find out that because I added a Direct TV HDDVR, which I purchased off of ebay, in June 2007, my contract started over with a two year commitment. No one told me!

Seriously, I am crazy or is this plain robbery. I really want to hurt them bad. Isn't there a lawyer out there who wants to start a class action. I want them out of business. The only draw back of putting them out of business is that we will have a bunch of idiot customer service ###s collect unemployment. I AM SERIOUS... PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU NEED MY NAME FOR A CLASS ACTION!!! I WANT THEM FINISHED!!

• Ji
      26th of Oct, 2007

DIRECT TV SUCKS! My 4 month old 5LNB dish fell off the roof in calm sunny weather (due to poor installation), and I was told I would have to wait ONE WEEK for them to come out to put it back up. When I told them to kiss my rear, and switched to TW Cable, they charged me $212 for early cancellation (even though I had been a customer for 4 years). They got me with the typical new contract when you add equipment routine! Since I added a DVR when I put up the 5LNB dish, I was committed for another 8 months. I am looking into suing them now. I paid their fee, because it isn't worth wrecking my credit rating. However, if I can get a lawyer interested, or perhaps just file a case in small claims court against Direct TV & the CEO (named) - he is in California, so I doubt he'll show up in Ohio, maybe I can get my money back that way. Enough is enough!!! Sites like this are great! CONSUMERS BEWARE!

• St
      27th of Oct, 2007
    Direct TV - Total incompetency in all regards

Direct TV is so incompetent it is almost hard to fathom. I called in early October to make an appointment at my townhome to have a satellite installed. I explained in detail the rules for the townhome including that it had to be installed on a chimney with siding, and set up an appointment for October 13th. I double checked the date, day and time before hanging up. After five hours of waiting, I called Direct TV and they had a difficult time finding any order. They transferred me to the local installer, because they subcontract their work.....first huge mistake!! They told me the appointment had been set for the 20th. I was angry but told them I would see them next week. After two and a half hours of waiting on the 20th, they called to inform me that the technician had been mistakenly scheduled in Missouri; the problem is I that I live in Minnesota. They apologized and apologized and agreed to come out on a Thursday night, the 25th and told me they would give me a $100 credit on my first bill. I once again told them about the townhome and specifics about the chimney. On Thursday after more than an hour of waiting, the guy showed up. Now this was my third appoinment, and I had waited a total of 8.5 hours. He said they cannot install satellite dishes on chimneys, and refused to even discuss it. When I called the number of the woman who instructed me to call her if I had any problems, she had already left for the day, after promising to be available al evening. Don't waste your time with these sorry ###. They are disorganized liars and cheaters and will only cause you grief. I spent a month trying to just get a person to my home, and it ended up being worthless anyway. AVOID THESE CREEPS LIKE THE PLAGUE, FOR YOUR OWN MENTAL HEALTH AND TO AVOID WASTING TIME. I called DISH network. They agreed to come in two days......we'll see how it goes.

• Ca
      29th of Oct, 2007
    Direct TV - Inexcusable Customer Service Part 3

Forgot to mention that Tony in AL (Badge number U7402) asked if we had a good pair of garden clippers. He suggested we cut the exterior wiring in 4 or 5 places to make sure the local Ironwood contractor would replace it. Kathy, the customer service supervisor who solves problems in 3 hours, had some interesting facts. No customer service rep is allowed to make any outgoing calls. So much for the promise Tom in OK had made to call back. Kathy also said supersivors can make outgoing calls, but only once per week. What authority! I would never work for Direct TV. The level of self-worth their employees must have is below anything I never want to know. It must be hard for Direct TV to find employees with so little concern and kindness for others.

• St
      29th of Oct, 2007
    Direct TV - incompetent service

As I previously wrote, Direct TV is pathetic and rude and lies about returning calls, having experienced technicians, when they will show up, and extending credit for poor service. I reached DISH Network and was pleasantly surprised. The technician(s), a team of two, arrived on time. They were experienced, intelligent and polite, and they did a difficult installation on the chimney of my townhome in less than 2.5 hours. They also took the time to instruct me on the system use, and gave me phone numbers if any issues arose. I was incredibly pleased after dealing with the no-brain twits from Direct TV. Do yourself a favor....if you are looking for satellite television, call DISH Network. There is a huge difference in service, and the cost is less than cable, has more services and will save you a ton of anger and impatience.