Direct TV / scam and fraud!

United States Review updated:
4.15
If anyone in the Volusia County FL area wishes to start a class action lawsuit against Direct TV I am in with you all the way. Otherwise I wish to start the ball rolling as Direct TV has taken 366 dollars from my checking account in 3 months (June 07, November 07, Jan 08). The last takeout was interesting the other day (Saturday) I was cleansing my e-mail accounts and I saw the message on Wednesday Jan 16th that my phone call to pay $144.38 has cleared. For everyone who wants to play detective here is a question: How can I use my cell phone on January 16th when it's 5 miles away from my reach? Why? It was in my home and I was in the local hospital for 10 days starting January 8th. Also I allege 3 counts of fraud against Direct TV as they are reporting me to a collection agency and taking money from my account.
Ra

Comments

Ra
  22nd of Jan, 2008
Just forgot an item in my review - President of Direct TV customer service is Joe Peterson Charlotte NC. How do I know go to Direct TV website, clink link About Them, then pretend you are interested in a job there, the head officers will appear.
Everyone swamp his mailbox with complaints
An
  8th of Feb, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I am so fustrated with what Direct TV has done to me, I called to cancel my service only to find out that they are charging me $320 for a cancellation fee that I was never aware of. I am now devoting my time to find others such as myself to file a class action lawsuit against them for such unfair practice.

Annette Eschoe.
To
  25th of Mar, 2008
To whom it may concern:

I am writing this email with the intent of voicing my frustration with Direct TV and Mastec. In response to a great amount of outrage, I am writing this email for sharing my thoughts to any reader, limited only to the email addresses that I can find that may be affiliated with the above mentioned.
We just recently moved into our newly built home. Last week, I signed up with a Verizon plan (Internet, Phone, and Direct TV). Arrangements were made for yesterday, the 24th, to install Direct TV and later in the week the phone and internet service.
Too briefly, summarize my situation its best to start with bulk of my complaint, the Direct TV service technician that arrived after 8 a.m. Monday morning. I was away on business but my wife with my two children was home to greet the technician.
Our home was pre-wired for coaxial, phone, and network cable. The tech told my wife that three of our six pre-wired cables were not working and that a charge of fifty dollars for each cable installed was required with payment up front. My wife responded by stating that she needed to contact our Superintendent to discuss the problem (a natural, reaction is to find out why a service you already paid for, isn’t working), the tech’s immediate response was to roll his eyes, sigh and walk away. While my wife was on the phone with our superintendent, the tech made a sarcastic remark about him having the same tools as he. Then he suggested to my wife, while still on the phone, that his work requires him to charge the fifty dollars but if he were to come back on his personal time, he would charge only twenty dollars per cable. Our Superintendent suggested he could be over within thirty minutes to help identify where the problem may be (he was certain all wiring was previously tested), the tech’s response was that he is very busy and he could not wait for our Superintendent to arrive (at that point only the dish itself was installed).
Immediately after, the tech, said he was going to start drilling through the exterior walls to run cable, at this point, my wife wanted to contact me of the situation, the tech’s response to her calling me… again, rolling his eyes and sighing.
About noon, I received a message from my wife to contact her; I called to find her on the edge of hysterical at the behavior of the tech.
To articulate the seriousness and uncomfortable atmosphere that my wife experienced during that period, my wife had two friends that stopped by to visit; they refused to leave her alone because of his behavior.
The overall rude behavior of the tech started from the moment he entered our home. When walking through the rooms to size-up his job he made a sarcastic comment, complaining about no TV’s in bedrooms yet for him to hookup (we have not finished moving in all our belongings).
After speaking with my wife, my first response was to contact the tech to identify the situation. While on the phone, I myself found it very difficult not being offended with his attitude on the phone. At that point, I suggested that he leave.
After the tech left my property, my Superintendent stopped by with two electricians and tested every cable in the house to find all of them working just fine.
Honestly, how can anyone look at this situation and not fell taken advantage of? I find it difficult to accept that Direct TV would allow such behavior.
I contacted Verizon, they were concerned of my situation but not very helpful, they transferred me to Direct TV, and then, I got no concern and no helpfulness at all, they lodged a formal complaint and advised me that someone will be contacting me within 48 to 72 hours. I understand the need for formalities, such as, filing a formal complaint but as a customer, all I really care about is how quickly the problem can be resolved. I do not care about being contacted in 48 to 72 hours I just wanted satellite. Nevertheless, you know they were nice enough to redirect me to MasTec (the company who sent the tech to my home). I was not able to lodge a complaint with Mastec because they could not find a record of my account.
At 5:05 p.m. my wife spoke with a man, named Joseph with Direct TV, she asked to speak to a supervisor he replied, “I can get a Supervisor for you but they aren’t going to do any more that what I can do”. He suggested our best option is to fill out damage claims forms. Again, I do not care about damage claim forms I just want a competent person to come out fix my problem.
Is my business not important to Direct TV? Do these Companies’s have so much business they do not care about a few individuals here and there? I know this cannot be normal business practice for Direct TV. I know many people that have Direct TV who talk highly of them. Why am I any different?
All I want is someone to hook up my satellite, I don’t want the same contractors/ tech’s at my home, I don’t want anything for free or discounted prices just the plan that I signed up for with my HD DVR, that’s it. Yesterday, after work, I wanted to come home to my family and watch some TV, instead, my wife and I have had the trouble of dealing with Direct TV’s crazy tech that has a big chip on his shoulder. Honestly, I would rather be watching TV right now than writing this email. I canceled my service yesterday afternoon. I have wires sticking out of my walls and a dish stuck on my roof that no one would come and remove. I did not want to cancel my service. I want either the problem resolved with the plan I originally had or someone to come fix what they have left.

Tony S. Arnold
Vi
  11th of Jun, 2008
Direct tv is a liar. When I conect the sevice they said the cancelation fee will be 20.00 dlls, i asked this question many times, because I tought was few, but the sell woman, says yes, now I dound out is 480.00, the cancelation supervisor said sorry for the bad information they did trying to close the deal, but is like that, and taht. I made my complaint in the Federal trade comission, but that is somenthing can take years. What else?? Someone has an idea??
Ka
  18th of Jun, 2008
Direct TV definitely gets the award for The Absolute Worst Customer Service Ever. I have been with them for around 10 years and had no real problems until recently. My mother became disabled over a year ago. She was still able to take care of her financial obligations until recent months when I started having to help pay her bills. One of those bills was for her Direct TV service. I used my bank debit card to pay her bill online several times. Things finally got to the point of my not being able to keep everything going for her. She let her service with them go. Low and behold after a couple of months, they charged MY DEBIT CARD FOR HER BILL!! I immediately called them and was told there was nothing they could do blah, blah cuz the card was used to "open the account". I explained that it most certainly was not. Finally, after waiting on hold forever, they told me that it WAS their fault and that they would refund the money they charged me as well as any bank overdraft fees that my account might incur as a result of this unexpected charge. They told me to fax a copy of my bank statement with the charge which I did the very next day. I then called them back to let them know that it been faxed. They proceeded to tell me on this call that they could do NOTHING to rectify the situation!! I then waited on hold for *22* mintues to get a supervisor. The call finally disconnected without anyone ever having picked up. I called back, more than a little angry. I still tried to keep my cool as I was transferred to a supervisor. Well, as calm as I was, she was NOT. She talked to me like I was GARBAGE! As I tried to explain the situation she kept cutting me off and talking over me. I told her that I was really aggravated because I had been told one thing the day before and now they were telling me something else. She kept telling me to call my mother since it was her account that was paid with my card. I told the lady that I HAD spoken to my mother and that I had her bill right in front of me. She then kept telling me that she couldn't discuss my mother's account with me! I finally lost my cool. I told her that the only other call I would be making would be to an attorney. Boy oh boy did she get mad then! She told me that if I was threatening legal counsel then she was done talking to me and she hung up. I called back and told the girl who answered that I wnated a supervisor and wanted one right then. Bless her heart, she was sooo nice and she told me point blank that I would get NOWHERE with a supervisor if I hadn't gotten anywhere already. She proceeded to look over my account details. I told her to just cancel my service with them completely. She eventually talked me into giving them a chance to try and fix the problem. She told me again that they would get my erroneous charge reversed, but that they couldn't do anything about the overdraft fees at my bank due to the charge. So, she offered me a $10 a month discount on my bill and the movie cahnnels free for 3 months. I told her to do that and I would think things over. I am just going to wait and see what they end up doing. But, as bad as I hate to leave them, I am pretty sure that I will be doing just that no matter waht. I cannot stay with such a rude, dishonest ocmpany like this. Even though I don't like Dish network, I will probably be back with them within a few months. I just wonder...does anyone think that there is class action lawsuit potential here?? Direct is doing this kind of theing to a LOT of poeple it seems. They keep telling me that by using my credit card to pay on someone else's account, I "attached" my card to that account and that it is perfectly legal for them to then use that card to clear up account balances. HUH????!!! I have read their "Legal" notices and can find NO where that says that!!! (One more lil note...whatcha wanna bet that they end up trying to charge me for those "free" movie channels after 3 months, unless I "call and cancel them"?!)
Lo
  18th of Aug, 2008
i can't believe all the complaints and the things they are doing to us consumers!!! i ordered direct tv on 7-10-2007. i was told i could try it for 1 year and cancel after that if i wanted. i found that the have less hd channels then cable. i called today to cancel and they said i have a contract till sept.2009!! and if i cancel they would charge my bank card 350.00 dollars for cancelling early!! i found the terms and conditions for cancelling and it says you will be charged 10.00 dollars for cancelling midterm not 350.00!! i called back and read the terms for canceling and she basically tolded me tuff ###!!! this needs to be addressed somehow and i am on board if anyone has any ideas!!!
Be
  23rd of Sep, 2008
I was charged 656.00 for early term. WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING!!!
Cr
  30th of Nov, 2008
Here is one of many emails i sent to Direct TV after paying for service I was not getting and then trying to cancel!!! I am so FRUSTERATED>.. PLEASE HELP!
we have tried to get someone out to our house to fix our HD dish for several
months.AFter a no show on the first appointment and 3 reschedules without our
authorization and over 4 hours on the phone, in just one day, we canceled. The
man on the phone said we had a credit of $128 and would not be charged since you
all did not provide the service, ITS YOUR FREAKING FAULT WE CANCELLED! Now I
logged on, just to make sure, cause we have had so many issues with you all, and
it says you will charge my card $542.24! heck no! You need to take these
charges off now, you failed to provide service, i have several emails from you
all to record your lack of providing service. i will forward them upon
recieving an email ! PLEASE REPLY NOW!
Eu
  30th of Apr, 2009
YES IT IS GREATLY TRUE DIRECT TV IS A FRAUD, IT has being SCAMMING American people and we need to do something about it, This is my story i was a comcast customer but they keep raising their rate so in late october 2008 direct TV offer me a monthly rate of $29.99 it was far better than what i was paying for comcast so i took the offer. the bad NEWS my first bill came it was $64.57 so i call them and said them why, the lady said oh it is a rebate and and have it it have 4 weeks to process and it will reflect on you next month bill. that was it, next month came my bill was $136 .68 so i immediately call directTV a lady came on the line i ask her why, she said it 4-6weeks and told her is been 8 weeks so said she will find out what is going on and get back to me so she took my # and said she will call me back as soon they situate the issue then ask my do i want to pay for the outstanding bill and i TOLD HER NO not until you guys charge me what you promise me, she said i will call you back, also check you account to see it hs been fixed. she never call back it was not fix two weeks into january 2009 the cable was disconnected and at the end of the month a bill of 546 .87 was sent to me i call them and it was HELL, so i gave them HELL too, now they have sent me many bill from collection and each time the amount increases now it is $645.27 for two months of cable. they are treating my credit and until the do that i have to do something about it, LAWSUIT my option
  17th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
i aLSO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH DIRECT TV. I HAD A deal with verizon and direct tv and what a mistake, i had a a deal for 99.99 with verizon and direct tv. verizon told me in the begining that the bill would be high and the bill was costing 250.00 one month then 240.00 . after i had service installed. i had a sales men caLL AND AND SAID HE WANTED TO SELL THE NFL TICKET THAt was sponsored from direct tv and idecided to try it but the next day idecided to cancel it burt for months it was still on. i called verizon and complained and got no satisfaction. i decided to cancel the direct tv and they said i had a 2year commintment but in the beginning the installers never said anything about 350.00. the lady i called at direct tv was rude and recording me with out my permision and was rude and saying i have to pay. i will never pay because they lie. verizon telephone company should never ask people to get direct tv. they made a big mistake and caused me to file for bankruptcy. it cost me to be broke because of verizon and the one they sponser direct tv.
De
  2nd of Nov, 2009
I filed a complaint today with BBB and FTC against Direct TV. I started with them in 08, lost my job and had to move. Now in Nov of 09 they came to my new residence and was not able to install because of Unable to obtain HOA approval. I was told by rep to call an cancell and that it was a cercumstance beyond my controll. They are now stating i will be charged a 240.00 cancel fee. Then the rep told me my credit card on file from 08 would be charged for the cancellation fee. I told them no was do they have my permission to use a credit card on file from 08 and the rep said they would charge it any way. I have asked for a copy of the original contract concerning cancellation and have not received one.
To

Focus Receivables Management
5601 Office Blvd. NE Ste. 500
Albuquerque, NM. 87109

866-918-2469

Yesterday I opened a letter from your agency stating I have 30 days to dispute an attempt to collect a debt before it is reported to credit agencies. I immediately started a rough draft of this letter and called the 800# the following day. Your letter dated 2-1-10 and post marked 2-2-10 was reportedly 11 days past its dispute period. February having only 28 days makes this mathematically impossible. Needless to say I did not get far with your operator, although he calmly heard what I had to say his general attitude was that there really is no disputing a dept. If Direct TV says you owe them money then by god you do. The reality is that if you want to protect your credit score then you have to pay. This opens the door to criminals like Direct TV who have found a clever way to steal money like some new aged armed robber. If you give up your wallet at gun point does the forfeiture of said money prove the gunman’s legal right to it? I guess if you are a representative of Direct TV your answer is yes.

Some time ago an advertisement on TV caught my eye. Direct TV for some crazy price.
I can’t recall exactly the advertisement but a sales rep. set me up with a package for around $29.00 per month. I was changing over from Dish Network whose comparable package was approximately $45.00 per Month. Some time had gone by possible a month as I waited for installation and then a week after the bill comes. To my surprise the total for that month was $65.00. Never mind having been charged for a full month and only installed for a week, but where did this price come from? I called Direct TV to sort the problem out. They told me they would give me the difference as a 6 month mail in rebate that I could retrieve from the internet. I don’t own a computer I explained to the woman. I just want my bill to be reduced to the amount we had agreed upon. After going in circles with her, I told her to reduce my bill or pick up her equipment. She advised me that she will pick up the equipment but I would be liable for 400+ Dollars for breach of contract. Excuse me? The “contract” which is a verbal agreement between the sales rep. and me states that I would receive a product for a specific price. There was no mention of a rebate, especially one that I could not easily obtain nor were they able to mail to me when asked or furthermore one which could take 6 months to mature. The contract was breached when Direct TV failed to meet their price requirement.

Let me tell you! THIS IS YOUR FORMAL NOTICE OF DISPUTE….. Further harassment will result in small claims suite in which representatives from Focus Receivables Management will appear to court in my county where I will show sufficient evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that I am being harassed and unjustly perused:
That you are bullying me into paying a debt I do not owe.
That you intend to make false marks against my credit.
That you intend to smear my good name in such a manner that would harm my credit resulting in ill effects toward my livelihood and general pursuit of happiness.
Further more I advise you that I am not alone. After speaking to friends, neighbors and members of my community it would seem the problem is more widespread than a simple person like me could imagine. I would be willing to bet that if I were to enquire, my political community has been affected by this same atrocity. You see during our economic hardships it would appear that Direct TV has resorted to dirty play in an attempt to steal business from Dish Network. I know 3 people like me on my street alone. I haven’t started to fish yet. How many streets in a county, state or even country at that? I know you aren’t lawyers but you could imagine that if one where to pick up my plight, backed with a small investment from a large company like Direct TV possible Dish Network or maybe one of many various cable companies, with the support of high ranking political officials and fueled by media attention, he/ she would quickly see that this common occurrence has class action written all over it. How many cases in your office as we speak? How many of those with adequate proof of contract?

My principals do not allow me to pay a bill I do not owe. I have never refuted a bill before; therefore I can only give you the same ultimatum you have given me (like force). You have 30 days to stop action on my file #12974362 and reply to me in writing as I believe my $465.22 is best spent on stamps.

Sincerely,

Tommy Murphy
Di
  30th of Mar, 2010
I HAVE THE SAME FEELINGS TOWARDS DIRECT TV THEY ARE SCAMMERS AND ###S. THEY LIE AND TAKE UR MONEY AND THEN SAY THEY CANT GIVE IT BACK AFTER 10MIN OF ORDERING AND CANCELING. THEN THEY SAID THERE IS A CANCELATION FEE AND A FEE TO RESTOCK WHICH THEY NEVER TELL U . I HOPE SOMEONE SUES THE ### OUT OF THEM AND DIRECT TV LOSES BUSINESS SO THEY CLOSE DOWN.AND ON TOP OF ALL THAT THE MANGERS AND SUPERVISORS ARE ALL DUMBASS ALSO . THEY SAY THEY RECORD ALL CALLS BUT WHEN I TOLD THEM TO LET ME HEAR MY RECORDING THEY SAID THEY DONT HAVE IT BUT IF U HAD SOMETHING U OWED THEM ITS ALL RECODED.
Al
  3rd of Aug, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I ordered Direct TV shortly after they were to be in partnership with at&t. As a retired at&t employee I am to recieve discounts this never happened! Then I sold my home and moved I tried to discontinue service but they said to suspend service instead. I found that at my new home I was capable of having u-verse service so I ordered it knowing I would receive my discount.Called and canceled direct tv who billed my bank card i called the bank and had the charges removed (You have to do this while the charge is in pending status). Now direct tv has reported me to a collection agency because they can't get their money they do not deserse. Lousey service, bad customer serviceand terrible attitude. They need to learn the meaning of what customers are and what they can do. Maybe as a group we can shut them down and add them to the unemploeement line! At that time they will realize how discussed with their antics the public sector is.

Sincerely:

Albert Skinner
  6th of Aug, 2010
I will agree with all the complaint`s for this [censor]ing stealing company.I had an account a few years back. Very bad reception very bad service.Then I moved and told them to cancel subscription.The expect 300 plus for lousy service bad reception.Now all I can say to that is they really have to be joking. If they sue I`ll sue them back.
Do
  18th of Aug, 2010
i.need to return a remote that i forgot to send back with the receiver where do i send it.
Xp
  7th of Sep, 2010
DIRECT TV DISCRIMINATES ALSO AGAINST ANY PARTNERSHIP YOU'VE HAD WITH OTHERS WHO HAVE LIVED AT THE SAME RESIDENCE. I WAS APPROVED FOR SERVICE INSTALLATION, AND PAID FOR THE SERVICE.

THEY WAITED UNTIL THE DAY BEFORE SERVICE & SENT AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE THE ACCOUNT WAS ON HOLD DUE TO A BILL THAT WAS IN A PREVIOUS RESIDENTS NAME WHO HAD SERVICE AT THIS ADDRESS.

I STATED, THEN IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO GIVE ME SERVICE THEN CANCEL & REFUND MY MONEY. THEY SAID, THEY CAN'T DO THAT, WHY CAN'T THEY DO THAT? THEY APPROVED IT, THEY HAD MY SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, MY PHONE, EVERYTHING ELSE.

THEY SAID UNTIL THAT PERSON'S BILL WAS PAID, I COULD NOT GET SERVICE & TRIED TO SCAM ME INTO PAYING HIS BILL!!! WHEN I VOICED THAT WHAT THEY WERE DOING WAS ILLEGAL THE DIRECT TV CONSULTANT HUNG UP ON ME.

DIRECT TV IS A SCAM - DO NOT GO WITH DISH EITHER, FIND A LOCAL CABLE ALTERNATIVE. THEY'VE CORNERED THE MARKET & OFFER NOTHING IN RETURN BUT HEADACHES.
Be
  17th of Sep, 2010
After having DirectTv for years I had to cancel service as my new landlord would not allow a dish. I called DTV to cancel, gave them the new address, etc. They said they would send a FedEx box so I could return the equipment. One month later, still not box - then I noticed that a $160 termination fee was taken out of my account, but to top it all off - a week later they took $720 out of my account for non-return of the boxes. I was on the phone for over an hour and finally got a supervisor who told me they sent the boxes to the old address and would resend to my new address. I received the box and immediately sent the equipment back to them This supervisor said they would refund the money to my account within 72 hours of when they received the equipment. Still haven't received the money - I called them again today and got another run-around. Now they are only returning approximately $400 and are charging me for a month that I did not have service. They said the monies are returned to them in 72 hours and to me in 6-8 WEEKS. Where did they send the money if it had to be returned to them???????? I asked why they were holding my money hostage for 6-8 weeks and they said it was so they could make sure I am getting the correct amount of money back - I could use an abacus and figure it out more quickly. WHAT A RIPOFF. I'm going to contact the FAA next and BBB.
  23rd of Sep, 2010
hello

I have been with Direct Tv for a year and have been dealing with nothing but B.S. since. Let me tell you my story.
First they put dish screwed into roof which has been leaking for over a year.
I jumped through all the hoops they asked me too so I could get the roof fixed.
To date no such thing has happened now the two reps. I have been talking with don't answer my calls.
It's moonsoon season and it's now leaking onto carpet and it will be no good soon..

If I had the money or a husband that was in good health we would just do the repairs.
My husband is disabled and just this last week has had heart surgery and a broken ribt in and out of the E.R. and hospitals.

As soon as my contract is up I will not ever use this company plus I tell everyone I know my story to hopefully keep them for doing bussiness with this sorry careless company.

Whats sad is we are all hard working people who only want to watch a little t.v. and get screwed by this big company who workers give us [censor] when we call for any reason and then they don't respect us enough to fix their screw ups. But by God when it comes to the bill being paid they are on it.

Tell all your friends and family stay away from this company they don't keep tp their words and are very rude and just screw you.
dawn G.
In
  8th of Oct, 2010
This is my story about Direct TV. I shut down my service for six months because of moving for Indiana to Tennessee. I gave my new address to Direct TV when shutting down my service.
I could not have Direct TV in the house I am renting. The landlord said no, because the house was wired for cable TV.

I forgot all about Direct TV, because I was on Comcast. I never received anything from Direct TV. They had my Tennessee address before, I moved here.
I have lived here for over a year, when my youngest son ask me if I had Direct TV. I said not anymore. He had a bill from them. He mailed it to me. I called Direct TV and told them I could not have their service because of my landlord not wanting it in the house I was renting.

I was told I would receive boxes to send their equipment back to them. I was told I owed $199.51. I paid that amount and returned the equipment to them. This was August of 2009.

It is now September 2010. My main credit card company sent me a statement that they were reducing the amount of credit on their card by half. I was told I could get a free copy of my credit report and see if there were mistakes on it, because this was their source of information for reducing my credit.

I got my free credit report and found two mistakes. 1. I have never live in Staunton, IN. and 2. I had a collection company representing Direct TV for a past due amount of $296.90. I told the credit reporting company about both mistakes and they would correct them if my claim was correct. I received a letter for the credit reporting company that all mistakes had been corrected.

The last part of September 2010 I receive a telephone call form this collection agency. They tell me I owe Direct TV $296.90. I told them no I had paid Direct TV in full. I was told to write a letter of disputing this bill.

I am writing a letter to Direct TV also disputing their claim of $296.90. I was the one that called them to handle my account so I could pay it. I did just that. I heard nor receive any type of contact from Direct TV for over a year. I had never received any contact from the collection agency until September of this year 2010.

I thought there was a time limit for notifying a person of a debt.

DirecTV Logo DirecTV