Direct TV / false advertising, poor customer service!

United States Review updated:
Phone: 8317712722
I have phone numbers to call and report complaints to at the end of this!!!

Gee, there seems to be a trend here! I had a similar experience with direct tv in california. When we called regarding the ad in the mail, the salesman told me that the cost would be $44.95 a month for the choice xtra programming per month. In addition, we would receive three free months of hbo and a free portable dvd player. We specifically asked him what our first bill would be as we were having them directly debit our account. He stated that it would be exactly $44.95. We asked if there was anything else to be done to get the dvd. He said "no." we asked him how long the contract was for and he said 1 year. We signed up and an installer was sent out in 2 days! Wow, we thought great service! Wrong, wrong, and wrong again!

Seven days later, i noticed a debit for $67.95 on my account. Direct tv had debited the first months bill. We called and the customer rep said that we had to send in a rebate form with our first bill in order to possibly get the monthly rebate. We told them what had been told by the sales rep. They said we had to send in the rebate form-no discussion. My husband asked them about the dvd player. They said we did not qualify for the dvd player because a local installer had come out to install the dish and receivers. We told them that they had sent out the local installer-not us! They continued with the same stonewall tactics-that a local installer had come out, so we didn't qualify for the free portable dvd player! We told them that we wanted to cancel the service. They said that we had 3 days to cancel and that it was too late. We would have to pay $320.00 if we wanted to cancel! They also said that we had an 18 month contract! We said "no"--the rep told us 1 year. "sorry, but your contract is for 18 months." i told them that it was false advertising, misleading salesperson, etc and that i was going to call the better business bureau. The rep jim said, "go ahead!"

Now all this happened after 20 phone calls, being hung up on after transfers to a manager 3 times! This was the response after all those calls! I found this website after these problems! Hindsight is 20/20! Here are the places to call and the numbers to report your problems to:

(1) federal trade commission:

(2) better business bureau in colorado:

(3) california state attorney generals office:
[protected]

Some states have filed suit. For example, florida, idaho, illinois, kansas, maryland, massachusettes, montana, nebraska, nevada, new jersey, new mexico, new york, north carolina, ohio, oregon, pennsylvania, texas, tennessee, vermont, and west virginia joined in a lawsuit for false advertising. Call this number [protected]) if you are in one of those states and had trouble before may 11, 2006. Call and report to your state attorney general office to report complaints and maybe if we band together, something will happen!

Also, call your local better business bureau if direct tv is in another state! As i have read on the other blogs, i am sure that this will not be the end of the problems with this company!

Comments

Sc
  28th of Dec, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I did some leg work & located their corporate office number which is (310) 964-5000, try to call them. Explain the issue in a calm manner (don't be ### or angry) & explain why you think it's unfair & see if they will be able to assist you.

Generally that would be the final step with the company to get the charges reversed.

Pablo
Da
  11th of Mar, 2008
DirectTV

To Whom It May Concern:

Let's start at the beginning...I called your customer service office to cancel my service. I explicitly asked the Representative at this time exactly how much I owed on my account. I paid this.

A month and a half later I get another bill saying that I owe $ 216.13. When I called to find out what this bill was for I was told it was for cancelling my service 11 months early since I had just renewed my contract. I didn't renew my contract. They pulled this out of thin air. I told the representative that I wanted this contract in writing to protect myself from it magically renewing itself again. She told me that DirectTV would not put it in writing. Which meant that I had no protection-I could never cancel DirectTV because each time they could claim that I renewed it when I didn't.

That's when I started getting phone calls from Nationwide Collection Agency. They call at all ungodly hours of the day and night. They told me when they are done with me I will not even be able to finance a pack of gum. Their words not mine. When I asked his name he told me it could be Johnny, Tommy, what the difference just pay the bill. This is really good behavior for such a large company.

When I check around I found out that I am not the only one who has this problem with DirectTV. It's a shame such a big business has to behave in this manner. I cannot believe DirectTV is so hard up for money. The little man has no protection against such a large entity. I hope you are really proud of your business practices.
Vi
  12th of Apr, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am new customer; I got the receiver on last Monday till date
1. My account is not active.
2. I called DTV if not more at least 20 time, Even after so many promises the engineer does not show up. We are waiting at home since last 5 days, hoping for the miracle.
3. 90% of the time the calls goes to voice, by any chance if someone picks, he or she is not right person, try to transfer and guess what disconnected.
4. Even they say leave Voice message, they are not even courteous to call back.
5. Nobody tell the actual problem. Keep giving wild guesses.

Bottom line pathetic service, hopeless customer service, and I will never recommend DTV to any of my friends and family.
Ro
  12th of May, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Wow! I thought I was the only one getting the royal shaft from Direct TV.

I think we should all go one step further. Send this link to everyone in your e-mail address book and tell them to avoid Direct TV like the plague. Then ask them to forward to all their friends, and so on, and so on...
Up
  6th of Jun, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Misleading Sales Rep. Lying Managers.

I asked the sales rep specifically, "Do you have OnDemand?" She said, "Yes, and it is free to you."

After the install, I found that the OnDemand did not work. I called technical support. I find out I have to pay $500 in equipment to get it to work on my 3 tvs. I asked to cancel, they said it would be $400 to cancel. I asked to talk with a manager.

After explaining to the manager, he said that if I did not cancel, I would get free OnDemand in all three rooms. I agreed and he sent out a service guy.

The service guy got one room working, but did not have the equipment for the other rooms. I called and talked with another manager. This manger said he would send out another service guy to connect my other rooms. After, the service guy left, I still did not have OnDemand in those rooms. I called again. They said I needed still more equipment to make it work.

I took two days off work to get this thing installed and it still did not work.

I told them that I wanted to cancel and they said that I would be charged a $400 cancelation fee (On my bank card! I can't believe I gave them my bank card).

I told the manager that I was going to report this to the Better Business Bureau. He said, "Get your contract out, they are going to want to see it".
Wi
  19th of Jun, 2009
I also had to buy equipment to make on Demand work after they said i had it free to use and did not tell me i needed to purchase equipment. I am also right now having trouble getting them to honer the current $21 a month rebate...What is with cable and satellite services sheesh. Call the attorney generals office they are a big help and the federal trade commission.
Th
  11th of Mar, 2011
Direct tv went into my account and took $308 without my permission then sent me a bill 3 days later. Talked to two supervisors who said they would fix it. They did nothing. They put the $ back into my direct tv account as a credit!!! Thanks to the post from Pablo I called the (310) 964-5000 and spoke to Emily who gave me her direct # and said she will fix this. I am still cancelling Direct Tv and will never use them again..

DirecTV Logo DirecTV