Direct TV / cancellation fees

I recently moved to arizona and was forced to stay in one place for a month or two while I was waiting for my condo to become vacant.
I decided to set my services up with qwest who told me that the tv bundle they offered was with direct tv. I told them where I was moving and made sure that it was okay if I just transfered services. They told m no problem your phone number might have to change though. I said okay, not a problem as long as I still have the same big and all that. Still they said no problem.
I was able to move in sooner than expected just a little over a month. So I called qwuest to set up the move. They took over a week to get to my condo and when they did they realized, once they were there, at my condo mind you, that they had made a mistake and that I would have to go with another service provider. I was furious. I called qwest to concel and it still cost me money along with my deposite, then on top of that I get a bill from dtv saying that they are going to charge me their own late fee of $125.00!!!
This was outrageous. They cannot provide service therefore they lie to me and then charge me. I'm a law student and not only is this unethical and illegal for them to do I cannot afford to just let it go. I call customer service spend hours (Literally) on the phone with customer service and still nothing. They tell me that I have to write a letter and mail it to a po box for complaints. I think are you kidding me? This is almost 2008 and there is no other way other than mailing a letter via the postal service? This is the only way that they deal with customer complaints? By far the worst compnay I have ever dealt with. I wish nothing but the worst for dtv and hope to see them go bankrupt or sued and destroyed in my life time. From what I can see all that they have done I would like to find one just one customer with dtv that has never had a problem. I challenge them to find one.
I wont let this go I want my $125.00 back and I want them to pay! I need it and it's mine, dtv are thiefs and liars and should not be allowed to operate any kind of business.

Phoenix arizona

Comments

Cu
  24th of Jan, 2008

I just had a win against Direct TV!!! I went to the BBB site & found the following information. I called the (301) number and was connected with a rep . She waived the early termination fees that we were going to be assessed for cancelling. This was after trying to resolve the issue with at least 5 other Customer Service Reps/Supervisors via the Customer Service number. Be persistant. I was prepared to file a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau and with the Consumer Protection Agency. Stick to your guns...call the number below. Good luck!

DBA: DirecTV, Inc.
Other DBAs: DirecTV, Inc.
DTV

Nicole Martin
Office of the President

Fi
  6th of Nov, 2008

I am disputing charges with Direct TV regarding the cancellation fee I am being charged of $400.00 I was not advised of the charge to be in the amount assessed. I totally disagree with the final bill because of billing discrepancies regarding the so-called bundling with version resulting the need to sell the package over quality… The amount of the direct tv on verizon statement was much higher for one. At the same time of being billed on phone bill, also received bill from direct. Reflecting a dif. Amount owed. There was no explanation provided on why the difference on either end. I returned all the equipment and the only honest response I received from Direct is that Yes we received the equipment . I have not received anything in writing or verbally stating my early cancellation is $400.00 I was provided with this address to dispute the bill. Has anyone else received a $400.00 cancellation fee from Direct TV. They turned me over to an collection agency. I have also submitted a complaint to my states bureau of consumer protection. This is still pending. Hopefully there is an consumer rights attorney outhere some where that would be interested in these deceptive charges... I

Ba
  6th of Nov, 2008

Read all the crap they sent you carefully. If you are indeed not obligated to pay them, take them to small claims court and be awarded triple damages for them try to ruin your credit.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Ve
  25th of Nov, 2008

I have the same problem, buying through Verizon bundled services. Fedup w/ DirecTV and cancelled. Now they are charging me upwards of $500. I will write to states bureau of consumer protection. It is a good suggestion. I would like to know if any one has successfully faught DirecTV and come out of it.

I am seriously campaigning against DirecTV with neighbors, friends & family against getting DirecTV. If we all do this, I am sure they will go out of business.

Ju
  21st of Jan, 2009

I recently had to disconnect my direct tv because there was a fire in the building and the owner of the building told me i had to remove the dish because of fire hazzards.when i cancelled i recieved a $220 cancellation fee.They told me that since i replaced a faulty dvr reciever a year ago i still had a year left on my contract.I was never informed of my contract being extended when i called to replace the reciever and i wrote to the complaint department and when i didn, t hear from them i called direct tv.They told me the dispute department informed them that the cancellation charge was valid and that i had to pay the $220 dollars.I believe it is unfair to penalize somebody for a faulty dvr reciever and also when the owner themselves asked you to remove the dish.

Ba
  21st of Jan, 2009

Put in a claim with your insurance company for the cancellation fee and/or take DirectTV to small calims court.

Ha
  16th of Mar, 2009
Direc TV - Cancellation Fees
DirectTV

I signed up with Direct TV in January 2008 and I was quite explicit about wanting all three major networks, ABC NBC and CBS, they said they could provide CBS and ABC, but did not mention the additional fee to transmit these stations and said they were working on NBC. After 10 months and still no NBC transmission I called and cancelled their service, I spoke to someone named Jeremy and explained that Directv did not deliver on their promise for service and that I wanted to cancel, he said that would be okay and said that he would send me a Fed Ex box to return their cable box, which I did and 2 months latter I received a bill for $286.00 for early cancellation, I refused to pay it and it Feb of this year they put a collection Item On my Credit report, which lowered my Fico Score from 807 to 633, how do I get this removed.

Di
  18th of Jun, 2009
Direc TV - Cancellation fee
Direct TV

When I signed up for Direct TV, it was for my Dad who lived across the street from me and myself. I was not made aware of any contract involved. Had I been informed of it I would never have signed up for my Dad. I had been told in Oct 08 that he only had a few months to live. Passed away Good Friday this year. The rep convinced me to put the accounts on my credit card because my Dad didn't have any cr cards. So I did. When my Dad passed, I called to cancel. No mention of cancellation fee was ever made. Then I find a 384.72 charge on my credit card. Was told to send letter of dispute and copy of death certificate, which I did. At first it was denied then my cr card company got involved and Direct said it would be taken under review. I was told by three different reps that the fee had been cancelled. Then, last nite 6/17/09 that the fee was going into collections. I spent two hours on the phone with them. One rep said it could be cancelled and then I was transferred to the dept that could handle it, and they refused. I was told that I can't contact the corporate office dispute dept other then by mail. They don't accept calls. What a surprise. I paid last nite on line because I am not letting this low life company ruin my credit. I also asked to cancel the insurance that I was talked in to but was told there's a cancellation fee for that. The ins is a laugh. When I called for service, the woman on the phone tried to 'talk me thru a repair'. After an hour and a half I said to send someone out. I have the ins and I'm not a tech. She said they 'didn't like to do that'. Finally, after two days, got a tech out and found the box was defective. Am trying to find a way to get to corporate office without using the mail.

Xr
  10th of Sep, 2009

Don't EVER get Directv! They charged me $460 early termination fee. I lost my signal on a Friday night and because I didn't call them until Sunday (so sorry I have a life-like moving into a new home) I had an active account for more than 24 hrs-therefore I will be charged. Even corporate wouldn't listen to reason.

This company wreaks of rip off and loop hole scam. Fine print on what?
My next stop is BBB.

Ma
  18th of Oct, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

July 2008-signed up for Direct Tv.
March, 2009- moved to a different residence and moved with me the Direct Tv equpment with their Free Move Program, but failed to install the equpment on the roof of the condominium as being considered as common property>> the landlord prevented it per the by-laws of the condomunium .
September, 2009- billed me for the $ 300 early cancellation fee.
October, 2009- recevied a letter from collection agency, threatening that they will send deragotory remarks on my file with the credit bureaus. I am seeking legal help and did file a complain in Michigan Public Commission . This is unethical and business malpractice. First they charged me for the equipment for non-activity (March-May 2009), which was later reversed when the equipment was returned. Next they charged me for the early cancellation fee. I really dont get it !!

Thoughts: I did not intend to cancel the service but there is no way for me let them install the equipment on the roof without violating the laws. I dont think it is right for Direct Tv to enrich themselves at the expense of its consumers.

Ce
  29th of Oct, 2009

I am now sarting the complaint process with directv. they stated one price on the phone of 84.99 for the premium package that compared to the att uverse package we had. now they are stating that that price is only for 5 months and then it will go up to 109.99. I was suppose to be getting over 150 HD channels and only get maybe 30. I will post the results as they happen

Ru
  5th of Feb, 2010

I cancelled my direct TV for poor service, I didn't receive a signal about half the time. When I had moved to my new place I they gave me a free upgrade to an HD receiver from my plain DVR one and APPARENTLY that renewed a new contract for two years. But... when I called to cancel I was told it would be a 140.00 cancellation fee and last night I was charged 391.00 on my bank account. As we speak I am on the phone with a representative that states "so sorry about the misinformation but you still owe"!!!

I would like to know of anyone that is thinking about hiring an attorney as this is bad all they way around and from what I can see this has happened to more that just me.

Dk
  2nd of Mar, 2010

I contacted DirectTV to cancel my services due to a switch to Verizon Fios. DirectTV refuses to waive a $180 cancellation fee after being a loyal customer for 7 years. They also charged me $75 for a month of satellite service I never received. DirectTV states we upgraded to a HD receiver in 12/09 and state that we are obligated for another year's service due to the upgrade, which equals $20/month for the next 9 months. Additionally, we bundled services through Verizon & Direct TV, but neither will take responsibility. Verizon quotes a $179 cancellation fee for their services, no matter how many services you cancel. Customer service at DirectTV and Verizon sucks!

Yv
  24th of May, 2010

In February of 2010 I moved from a house to an apartment. I checked with my apartment manager on whether or not I could have satellite at the apartments and she said yes. I put in a request to move my satellite to my new apartment with Direct TV. A technician came to my apartment on February 4 and I handed him the restrictions that the apartment manager gave me (no drilling holes in the walls, no mounting anything on the sides of the buildings, etc). The technicial told me I could not get service there. I assumed he would submit the appropriate documents back to the company. A couple of weeks later I received a call from Direct TV telling me my bill was overdue. When I called, I found that the move was not reported and they had left service on at my last house. Not only do they want me to pay for February bill, they are now stating that I owe them a cancellation fee. I did not cancel my service, the technicial said he could not put service in with the landlord's restrictions. That was not a cancellation on my part! That was something the technician needed to work out with my landlord. I will NOT pay the cancellation fee.

If anyone hears of any lawsuits in the works for this, please contact me. I will NEVER do business again with Direct TV and urge everyone to stay away from them!!!

Je
  12th of Nov, 2010

I received a call from a direct TV sales rep, asking me to return to Direct TV, and she could save me money from the plan that I had. She offered me a bundled plan quoting me an amount of $97.97 not including taxes.
I accepted the offer. Once the service was connected I found out that I did not have a bundled service from your company. Only cable service. I would still be billed by Verizon for my internet and telephone, and no-one at Direct TV could quote these charges to me. I called the Direct TV office to get a quote and was told I had to call Verizon to get the phone and internet quote. I asked Amy the rep. that I was speaking with if I had 30 days to cancel and she confirmed yes. At this point I had only had the service for one week. I called Verizon and got a quote on what they would be billing me for their portion . The total came up to more then what I was paying
before to Verizon for the bundle. I immediately signed again with Verizon for the bundle. My experience with
direct TV was misleading and a lie. I found the representatives did not know what they were doing and really screwed me up. They went as far as ordering me a new telephone line in my home and no-one ever informed
me of this, nor ask me if I needed a new line. I found all of this once I was talking with the Verizon representative. Now I'm dealing with trying to get this line disconnected and not be billed for two lines.
I've been in my home for over 20 years with the same phone number, I just do not know what direct TV was doing, but I have to suffer all of this inconvenience. I do not feel that I should be charged the $454.10 that Direct TV is trying to collect from me. I do need some assistance on this.

Ph
  12th of Aug, 2011

I have had so many problems with them. NOT getting the credits Im suppose to my bill constantly rising and now I find out that my "special" pricing ends in Oct but I have to continue with them for another year, I dont want them for another year. When I signed up it was thru consumers enegry because i was moving and they told me abou this special offer they had with direct tv and so I thought I would try it and oh my god what a mistake. I t hought I was saving money going to them but they are not honoring any of the "deals" I was suppose to get now Im stuck with this crappy service. How do I get out of it I cant stand it a whole 1.5 years with this company really.
I would call and change my number and it wouldnt get changed, they say they emailed me my contract but they had the wrong email address. I just dont want them anymore there has to be a way out why isnt the BBB or someone doing anything about this company? there has to be a way out of the contract anyone help.

Ja
  24th of Oct, 2011

I have been a Direct TV customer for over 10 years. About a year ago, my satellite box died and I replaced it with an upgraded DVR box at a cost of $150. Today I called to cancel my service (going back to cable) and was informed that I will be charged $225 early cancellation fee. I was furious! How can a customer of 10 years be charged early cancellation?? I filed a complaint to the Better Business Bureau.

To
  28th of Nov, 2012

I accepted a "free" offer for premium movie channels as well as the NFL channel for three months, no cancellation fee if done within the 3 months. I did cancel in time, but was billed for them. Direct TV agreed to clear the bill, but during the process I was so fed up I cancelled the entire service and decided to switch providers. I questioned the service discontinuation bill I was to received and found out I was going to owe 200$ for early stoppage of "service" . The so called free offer was nothing but bait for hooking me into a one year service contract without my realizing it. Be warned, it's unscrupulous and fraudulent, but that's what their "free" is really all about. I argued, but doubt they will remove the "use our service or we'll screw you" bill =(