Direct TV / hidden charges

Subscriber beware: Direct TV has hidden charges that are not disclosed at the time of sign up. I asked the person at the call center "Please tell me about any charges that I my incur during set up and installation." She said there were none. The satellite dish was free. The DVR was free. The set-up and installation are free. I even got lucky and got HBO, Starrs and Showtime for three months for free. Lucky me!! After giving her all my info, scheduling an appoitment, she asked for my credit card. "Why" I asked. She needed to charge me $19.99 for shipping and handling of the satellite dish and DVR. I said "I asked you if there were any additional charges and you assured me there were not. Now you're asking for my credit card number." I got a major song and dance but I figured (as I assume they hoped I and every other fool will) that I had spent all this time getting signed up, so what was $19.99? So I gave her my card number. Today the installers showed up and the first things out of their mouths were that because I have a flat roof on my house there would be a $65.00 custom installation charge. I hit the roof (no pun intended). I called Direct TV and they said they can't predict when a home will need a custom installation. I told them I wasn't even told about the possibility of a custom installation charge. They referred me to the fine, fine, fine print at the bottom of the flyer. I said "But I asked the sales associate if there would be any additional charges and she said "No." Why wasn't I told at that time about the $19.99 s&h fee and the possibility of the $65.00 custom installation fee"? Oh, we're sorry...so I'm SOL. And so are you if you have a flat or tiled roof. In my book, omission is the same as lying. What a way to build customer loyalty!!

Tr

Comments

• Re
      24th of May, 2009

oh, you poor poor victum. lets all feel sorry for the person who didnt read the whole flyer, there was no way that the poor lady/gentlemen helping you with your order could know that you would need customer work done. get a life, serriously. and yeah you are right what did happen to customer LOYALTY, because what your dumb ### is complaining about was CUSTOMER SERVICE. There you are, someone give you the pitty party you wanted, oh not what you were expecting, then heres and idea GET OVER IT

• Ab
      18th of Jun, 2009

MESSAGE TO ALL REALIST IS A LOSER, SADISTIC ###, THAT HAS NOTHING BETTER TO DO THEN TO TRY TO DISCREDIT PEOPLE BY TALKING ### ABOUT EVERYBODY. CLICK HER NAME AND CHECK HER COMMENTS TO PEOPLE. SHE IS RUDE, HAS NO VALUE POINTS AND I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE WASTES HER TIME. BUT SHE DOES. WHICH ONLY MAKES ME COME TO ONE CONCLUSION THAT SHE MAKES UP EVERY MORNING AND LOOKS IN THE MIRROR AND REALIZES SHE CAN'T STAND HERSELF AND HATES THE WORLD. GO GET A LIFE YOU F'EN LOSER...
    SORRY TO EVERYBODY ELSE, I AM NOT LIKE THIS UNTIL I GET ATTACKED PERSONALLY FROM SOMEBODY THAT HAS NO IDEA WHO I AM OR KNOWS YOU. KEEP POSTING YOUR COMPLAINTS, IF ANYTHING ELSE IT ALLOWS OTHERS TO WATCH OUT FOR WHEN DEALING WITH COMPANY'S.

• Fl
      9th of Sep, 2010

It answered my questions about upfront hidden fees for Direct TV. Go suck on a tailpipe Realist.

• Fr
      24th of Nov, 2010

I ordered and installed Direct Tv about 5 months ago. At the time, I had the opprotunity to install up to 4 rooms. I did only 2 rooms. I called to get a 3rd room installed and was told I would be charge as a "new customer" and the extra install would cost over $100.00 and add extra on to my bill every month. At the time of my initial installation, I had told them that if my son where to move / come home, I would put service in his bedroom. They said nothing about extra charges at a later time. Well he will be home from college over the holidays and I wanted his bedroom to be as inviting as possible. However, not now, I can't afford the extra fees to put a receiver in his room. I should have been told this at the time that I ordered my initial hook up. I would have just done it then, FOR FREE. What a rip off!

• Co
      21st of Oct, 2012

You are unrealistic and the poster (realist) was, in fact, much more REAL than your attitude. They could have said it differently. But it sounds like you want everything for nothing. Let me guess- Obama supporter maybe? :)

• Ha
      2nd of Nov, 2012

I too had a technitian come to my door today on day of install and tell me that theres a $75 custom install fee cause he cant put it on my roof.. which is BS. I called Direct tv and the lady that answered the phone wasnt willing to answer ANY of my questions about this hidden charge, and was rude when I told her she could not have my name and address to continue processing me as a new customer. Im sorry but if you have a problem with answering your clients questions, you SHOULD NOT be a customer service rep. Thats their job is to SATISFY the customer so they DONT LOSE them. Luckily since my husband is military, the tech waved the fee. THAT is good customer service Mr. Technition!

• Co
      30th of Nov, 2013

I THINK YOU ARE ALL BEING HARD ON EACH OTHER. i JUST ORDERED DIRECT TV. tHE 19.99 CHARGE DID COME LATE IN THE PHONE ORDERING WHICH IS LAME BUT THEY DID TELL ME THERE COULD BE A CUSTOM INSTALL CHARGE IF MY SITUATION IS DIFFERANT. KEEP IN MIND WE ARE THE MERCY OF UTILITIES AND WE JUST HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE SCAM PORTIONS OF IT. iTS JUST SIMPLE BUSINESS GREED.

• Bs
      9th of Sep, 2014

I know that this post is somewhat dated, but DTV just tried to hand me the $19.99 BS. I moved and they told me that everything for the move was free. Then she tried to fleece me for the money. I asked what it was for and received the same reply as above. I then proceeded to tell her that in fact wasn't free. I even looked over the move offer details...nothing listed for delivery cost and tech visit. I asked for a credit on my bill if she was still going to charge me the fee. She proceeded to argue with me...that's when I asked to speak with a supervisor. She put me on hold for about a minute, came back and told me that the fee would be waived as a one time courtesy because I was a loyal customer...BS...but I didn't get fleeced!