Direct TV / poor service

Me and my wife moved last month to Colorado on a PCS move for the army and we notified Direct TV that we would be moving and that service needed to be suspended til we arrived in Colorasdo and found a new place. We were in transit in kansas city driving from kentucky when we got a unpleasent suprise, Direct TV charged 1100 Dollars to our debit card for cancalation and equipment fees, At this point leaving us 100 dollars negitive in the bank and stranded till i was able to get money from our parents. Once we contacted them about this they explained that we never contacted them even after we gave them the name and number of the person we spoke with about the move almost a month before. Then they tell us it will be 6-8 weeks to return the money to our account. Well after my wife spoke to the attentdents supervisor and the supervisors supervisor we got told we would have the money back in 72 hours. Well this was on 26 April 09 and it is now 06 May 09 and needless to say we havent seen our money yet. I am just upset at this company for there practices and the fact i never gave them promission to with draw money from my account and the fact that they used the card i had paid my last bill is even more disturbing. I never had a complant with Direct TV up to this point and even sent my friends to them and had moved before and had no issues, but after my last 2 weeks and the issues i have had i will never recommend or use them my self again. You do what the company tells you to do when you relocate and they tell you that you are in rthe wrong and take money in my mind illegally from my account. I am military and on a strict budget, and the fact that i had to go to my parents to get the money to finish my move is embarrising to me, but to have to explain the reason why was even more. I have seen on this site that others have had this issue and i see a trend. Needless to say if i dont see the money i am owed here soon i will take this to my installtions Better Business office and hope that maybe they can accomplish something. I highly recommend that if you have direct tv watch yourself when you move.

Comments

• Mi
      13th of Oct, 2008

I have been a Direrct tv customer for a total of 10years and my husband is retired military. We have moved from city to city and our satellite dish has moved with us also using the move feature by direct tv. Ever since we have moved to Slidell, LA. we have had problems. It all started back on August 24, 2008 when the original appointment was given. The technican called between the hours of 8-12 pm to tell us that he couldn't find the house so we had to reschedule. This is a new subdivision right off from a major interstate. We had to reschedule our appointment and the next appointment was set for October 6, 2008 so we agreed with that time. Thursday October 6, 2008 rolled around and my mother had to let the technician in because both my husband and I had to work. The technician was to show up between 8-12pm again. He did not show up but he called to say that he was running late and was coming from Bay St. Louis. The technician finally showed up around 1:30 pm. At that time my mother had to leave to pick up my daughter, on her return the two technicians had left. Another technician showed up around 4:00pm to hook up our satellite but gave us excuses on a different kind of line that was needed. The technician told us that we needed a single multi-switch line and that we had to call the main office and do a work order change. We got right on the phone while he was there and the main office told us that the local office had to change the work order. This scenario went on for sometime going back and forth on who was to order the switch. On Saturday I woke up early that morning to get back in touch with direct tv. The first person I got was really rude but the next lady was very pleasant. She informed me that she was going to cancel the original order and put in a whole new order with the switch on it. I immediately called the local office and told the supervisor that the matter was taken care of and I had given him the new work order number supposedly with the multi-switch on it. He told me that he would come out and install just one of our televisions so that we could have service. The pleasant lady at the main office lied to me because on the work order there was no order for a single multi-switch. It is now October 13, 2008 and we still do not have satellite. The next available date is November 12th, 2008 for installation and once again the technician will tell us that he is unable to hook up the dish because of this line.

• Mr
      6th of Feb, 2009

I was never told about suspending my account. I received an overdue bill for 79.95 to be paid by 2/11/09. If I new that I could suspend my service until the spring, then when Direct TV did not follow through with another issue in giving correct information this could have been solved then. When i ask to speak to a manager customer service Ms Shine 10034270 stated there was no supervisor available. What type business do you run, where operator need assistance and there is none.
    I have not turn this TV or direct TV on since October 2008, and I was not awared that I could suspend the service. Now I am face with a pass due amount of $79.95 and I have not used the service since Oct 2008.
    My email address is : r1ckyb50@aol.com. Please contact me there.

• De
      14th of Mar, 2009

I have been having problems with the direct t.v I have on;y had it for 1 month and they can not get a tech. to come to my apartment to fix the problem I have called them and they have scheuld me appointment and never show up are they had say that they will be 2 hours late and you don't hear from them and when you call direct tv they say that thaey can not talk to the people that they have doing there direct tv so you just wait until it have been 3 week and I still dont have anyone out hear so I dont recommended any one to get direct tv stick with cable.

• Ta
      26th of Jun, 2009

Direct TV and Direct Path need to be shut down!

You will never resolve a problem in under 30 minutes. They never accept responsibility for non-service and will not refund your account to do problems even if they are a 'direct' result of their fault.

Unless they completely retool their business model, I see them going out of business in a few years or being shut down by the FCC.

• Dc
      5th of Aug, 2009

My DirectTV Nightmare!!!

My name is Dave Conaway and I signed up for DirectTV for the first time 3 months ago after rave reviews from my dad.I was told that my monthly bill would be $49.99 and that I would receive 3 months of Showtime and HBO at no cost.

I got my first bill and it was $85 so I called up DirectTV. They said that the $49.99 was after a online rebate that would take 6-8 weeks to process. So I was pissed but went online and signed up for the rebate.

A couple of weeks went by and no problems until the North Carolina summer storms starting rolling in. I lose the signal at the first threat of rain or the picture pixelates so bad programs are unwatchable. Then the DVR box starts shutting off when I turn on the TV and reboots which takes upwards of 10 to 15 minutes.

So once again I call DirectTV. They tell me they can replace the box at no charge but I will lose all of my recorded programs. So once again I am pissed and forgo having the box replaced until I can watch all of my recorded programs so I can then get a new box.

Then this week I get my bill and DirectTV is charging me like $30 some dollars for HBO and Showtime. I never ordered them. If my 3 months is up of free service fine but don't just start charging me for something I don't want.

At this point I am over the whole damn DirectTV ### and feel that not only have they not provided me with the service I was promised and expected but that they have tried to pull one over on me.

So today I call DirectTV and am very nice and professional and tell they guy I want to cancel my service. He is very polite and tries to troubleshoot the situation and save the account but I wasn't having it. Then he proceeds to tell me that DirectTV will be charging me $420 for breaking my contract.

ARE YOU SERIOUS!! DIRECTTV HAS NOT PROVIDED ME WITH THE SERVICE I WAS PAYING FOR AND NOW I HAVE TO PAY THEM $420 FOR NOTHING!!

So I politely ask to speak to his manager. The manager keeps assuring me he can rectify the situation and have a technician come out and fix everything and he would review my bill.I understand that his job is probably retention so I politely explain to him that there is nothing to rectify except the cancellation fee. After 10 minutes of him jabbering I finally say look are you going to remove the cancellation fee or what.

NO was his response.

Well DirectTV beware because if I have to pay ANY cancellation fee I will be screaming from the mountain tops. I will tell everyone I know not to do business with you. I will be filing complaints, writing letters, making phone calls, whatever it takes.Hope the money was worth it.

• Co
      5th of Aug, 2009

Try Star Choice if that is available in United States. I have been a customer for over 2 years and never once have I had a problem.

• Mi
      5th of Jan, 2010

I am never going to use or recommend Direct TV to anyone ever again. I have had nothing but bad experiences with these people. Out of countless calls to try and get my problems rectified, I only spoke with one customer service rep who was the least bit helpful and polite. Come to find out later unfortunately, that she outright lied to me. This company is a joke. I can't understand how they are still in business. I guess P T Barnum was right, there is a sucker born every minute. I just hope people will read these messages before they do business with Direct TV.

It started with lies and ended with lies. Promises not kept and probably never intended to do so. It took them over 2 weeks to get my service started which should have been a clue as to what was to come. I told them originally that I would be moving to a new location in about 2-3 months and was told that I could move my service without a problem and no charges incurred...wrong. I canceled my service and had to pay the "contract" agreement for remaining months. It was a wash for the extra charges that were to be incurred to move my service to the new house. I just had the charges billed to my credit card but I will dispute the charges and delay this as long as possible. I only hope I can make them as miserable as they have made me.

The only way to force these crooks to clean up their act is to hurt them financially. Please tell everyone you know to stay away from Direct TV.

• Da
      5th of Jan, 2010

my account number 74986224 my name is daniel abbate my bill should be 114.13 but you are chargering me 508.22 you are always over billing me every mouth. and you blame me you gave me a 200 dollar credit because of all the problems then you take it away and now you say im past due i am never i said never late with my bills. i have been with direct tv for three years check your records and see how many times i have been late. all the credits you give me is becaues of billing problems not something i am doing, all the phone calls are recorded so listen to all the calls i have had with you and you will see its all billing. you need help in the billing department that is were the problem is not me. you tell me i am a vaulue customer and you treat me like this thats just wrong.

• Da
      5th of Jan, 2010

the above comets are from me

• Ro
      10th of Jan, 2010

be ready to pay what you owe them along with court costs when they sue you. And they will win, because you did not hold up your end of the contract. Probably would have been cheaper to just pay it and be done. It says so in the contract that YOU signed when the dish was delivered.

• Ih
      22nd of Jan, 2010

What a racket! I signed up for Direct TV a year ago and I have had nothing but problems. Unfortunately, I can't do anything about it because they bind you a 2 year contract that is a few hundred dollars to cancel! I have had poor reception and needed to pay $50 for a technician to come out and check it. Why would I have to pay extra to receive good reception from a service that I am paying for? The next round of frustration came when I bought a new TV (HD) and had to agree to another year added to the "agreement" just to have a box that is compatible with a new TV. What do you do? You can't cancel because of the fee and you can't return the TV. Then we decided to add TV in another room of our home! Simple enough...After 4 cancellations from our local installers MASTECH we are still waiting for someone to come. 2 missed days of work and no apology or compensation from either Direct TV or mastech. Call Directtv and at least they stand behind their installers because they DO NOT stand behind their customers. I can't wait until I can cancel this service and urge everyone shopping for a television service provider to stay away from Direct TV!

• Si
      16th of Feb, 2010

Direct TV has had so many complaints in the state of Washington for poor customer service, and other complaints that they have failed to address, that the Washington State Attorney General's Office has filed suit against them. The Attorney General stated that they failed to work with the state regarding consumer complaints, therefore, they will work it out in court.
    This is FYI. Perhaps some other state's Attorney Generals should address this issue as well.

• We
      2nd of Sep, 2010

I understand your position because if you pay for a service and you will not be received such kind of service that's really devastating.so be patience and i hope at the end of the day you will be happy.thanks

• Lo
      5th of Sep, 2010

Direct TV has been aweful to work with. We recently moved locations and called and set up an appointment to have our direct tv installed at the new home. We waited noon to 4 and no one ever showed up or called. Then when we called to see what happened we were told, the tv man called and no one answered. So he just didn't show!! They called our old number which was still on file. If it is your business to call before you show up then the company should make sure they have the updated number! Why does the coustomer have to work around the provider. I'm paying for the service!!! I should not be given a 4 hour window I can understand 2 hours at most.

• Ke
      19th of Oct, 2010

On 10/4/2010 i was told that i would have service on the next day.In which hand i had gotten a confirmation e-mail saying that i would have serrvice between 8 - 12 on 10-5-2010.So me and my wife took off work to be here when the install was done so we could be here to learn about the dvr and everything else...

Now it is 1:20 on 10-5-2010 and still no dvr or sattelite tv.so in which hand we are not only out on the watching tv we are also out on 2 days of pay with a figure of 1200 dollars. Who is gonna pay for that??????. I feel sure direct tv wont. I am fitting to cancel this whole thing because some employee does'nt know how do there job...

• Sd
      16th of Apr, 2011

I called Direct TV on 4/15/11 (Friday) because I had NO service. They responded to me saying they cannot send tech support to my house until 4/18/11. I told them when I had Dish Network and I had a problem they sent someone out within hours..NOT DAYS!! Now we have to do without TV until Monday. They responded to me that the technicians don't "work" on weekend..They offered me a refund of 92 cents. I asked them what it would cost me to discontinue my service and they told me $400.00 since I'm a "new customer"..LOOKS LIKE I'M STUCK WITH THIS NITEMARE FOR A FEW MORE YEARS!! SOOO WRONG!! I HATE DIRECT TV!!!

• Sd
      16th of Apr, 2011

I also have wires exposed because the cover fell off.. they told me to tape it on. to me that is a "safty hazzard"!!

• Kr
      16th of Jun, 2011

We signed up to get Direct TV through Sams. Waited for the installation all day. No one called. I called the # that was on our Sales order. What a joke!! Waited 20 minutes to hear them finally say "due to high volume leave a message" Are you kidding me. I called the # off of Direct TV web site and got hold of some one only to say since we ordered from a retailer/Smart Circle that they didnt have anything to do with it. Does Direct TV know that this is their product? After 2 hours on the phone back and forth with Direct TV and the retailer/Smart Circle, I finally reschedule with the retailer.I called last night to confirm this and they said "yes" and that someone would come today. Guess what? I waited 5 hours and no show. Called Smart Circle to tell them to forget it and that I wanted my refund back and they said they handed that to Corporate (Direct TV) last week and they would have to schedule an appointment. If any one is considering Direct TV... Dont sign up. Go with Dish. Go with Dish. Go with Dish. you'll be happier!!!

• Ca
      1st of Jul, 2011

I ordered Direct Tv on June 14th 2011. They came to install in a timely manner, June 16, with one issue, one box shorted out on install. The installer said it was a bad electrical outlet. I had an electrician come out and he checked everything and found nothing. I went to hook up the box on Hune 23rd and got shocked by blast and sparks flew.
    It did something tothe system and had not TV in the house. I then called them to see when they could get out to fix the HOT electrical coax cable, there response was in 8 days. I was left with a HOT wire in my sons bedroom and was expected to wait for 8 days for someone to show up.
    When I called and they said they couldn't be there for over a week she said it was impossible for the equipment to do such a thing. I told her if they couldn't be there for 8 days they could just come and pick-up there equipment and I am not paying a dime for there horrible service, she said she understood.
    I called to cancell the service, they are now wanting to charge me $460 for a early termination fee...WOW. I have there service, that potentially could have burnt my huse down, they wont come and fix it in a timely manner, and they want to charge me. WHAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

• Mr
      6th of Jun, 2012

I had a problem with service and was told that I would be charged 50 dollars to have a tech come to my home. The tech suggested that I check all the service couplers and splitters. I did and they were all loose with wires unsecured and dangling everywhere. As I retreeated from the attic I was entangled in the 15 or so foot of coax left in the access to my attic and fell about seven feet to the floor. I fell so hard that the coax attached to the TV yanked the satelite and TV up to the ceiling in the bedroom. I have been in serious pain ever since. The question so many should have is how many millions are being charged every day for improperly installed cables and why is there no set standards of installation? Even the phone company staples the phone line to the wall or ceiling joists. When researching installation of coax I found that there are no available codes of such accept that of the electrical construction code. But, if you have no permit or inspection, what keeps the installer honest and responsible to quality. How many roofs are slowly rotting from unsealed screws drilled through the shingles? This picture shows the amount of coax left in the opening of my attic space.