Direct TV / identity theft

Direct TV
My husband signed up for Direct TV without my knowledge. Because of some past trust issues, all of our finances are kept seperate. About a week later, the bill arrived in the mail. Luckily, I happened to get home first so I got the mail. The bill was in my name. Apparently, my husband used my name to apply for the Direct TV service. The service man who came to our must have noticed that a man was signing documents with a woman's name on it. I tried to call Direct TV and have the account switched to his name, but they told me that he would have to call and take legal responsibility for the bills. I explained to the very nice customer service representative that I did not have the option to take legal responsibility. She explained that there was nothing she could do. When I asked to cancel the service, I was informed that I couldn't w/o having to pay for the service all 24 months. Now because of their irresponsibility, I am responsible for 24 months of a service I didn't ask for. On the bright side, I am able to see my husband for who he really is.

N  27th of Sep, 2007 by
My name is Douglas Ross, I am currently working in Kosovo for Kellogg Brown Root in support of the US Army. I recently found out that my SSN has been used in Dallas, Texas to get Direct TV.

I am originally from Dallas, but I have not lived there in over 30 years. I contacted the Direct TV office and they gave me a number 1800-860-1283 for fill a complaint all I receive is a recording and no one has answered the phone. Someone please help getting this problem resolved.
A  13th of Nov, 2008 by
i have ID theft on my account now, ppv movies showing being ordered from my phone, and im being billed, i have had Id theft accrossed the board since 2005. Had to pay Direct Tv $200.00 even though i have police report (prior to this) and fbi complaint number. After several calls and complaints i find out they have an ID theft dept, can not contact them, just a recording. They are being included in the investigation with the FBI. They say the company can also be investigated if they knowingly do not help me and pass the "fraud" onto me. Horrible customer service, they are crooked! Im begining to think it may be an inside job!
A  10th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
On Wed 4-8 someone from Direct TV called my husband's cell phone and the conversation got no further than verifying my husband's name, saying it was direct TV, and my husband asking that they never call him again. Today we looked at our accounts online and saw a $200.00 charge for Direct TV hardware from California on my husband's check card. We have PNC bank and they basically took care of it for us, but we wanted to investigate the ### further - something wasn't adding up and still isn't. PNC gave us Direct TV's phone number. Took forever to get a real person. When we finally did, my husband was treated like a criminal. They wouldn't give us any information until my husband verified our address. They said that someone had called claiming to be my husband on Mon 4-6 with his name, cell phone number, address, and credit card number. Apparently, even though my husband hung up on them, they were still coming to OUR address on Monday 4-13 to install the hardware???? If we had not caught this on Friday 4-10, we would have had Direct TV knocking at our door on Monday. After verifying that we are not idiots, we have never given our credit card out to anyone else, we NEVER called Direct TV - they called us, that we have NEVER had an account with Direct TV, the "customer service rep" got very defensive and basically said this was not their fault. We kept mentioning that "PNC" had already "launched an investigation" into these "fraudulent charges" and that this was not going away and that they would also be hearing from the State Attorney General. That finally got us somewhere. We did end up getting our money back and getting the account cancelled, but it's frustrating that Direct TV was so uncooperative. Again - SOMETHING IS NOT ADDING UP! If someone wanted to use our account to get Direct TV, why would they have it installed at OUR house? And how was that date and time set up? And why was Direct TV still planning on coming to our house, even though their attempts to use the contact number all failed? It does seem like an inside job. The "customer service rep" apparently ended the conversation by saying "I hope you find out who did this to you, " which I'm sure was just for show. DIRECT TV IS C-R-O-O-K-E-D!!!
N  17th of Aug, 2009 by
My ex-wife ordered Direct TV for her apartment, put it in my name, gave them my SS#, and her son forged my name. They installed the equipment without checking any identification. Then she never paid the bill. They called me in May of 07 saying I owed them $488. I told them it was not my bill, and they said it was because they had my signature on a contract. I told them it couldn't be my signature, and they told me I would have to prove it. I followed all the procedures for reporting fraud, sent letters everytime I was asked, explaining the situation. I spent an exorbitant amount of time on hold on the telephone, and was even hung up on once. I asked them for a copy of the signed contract. I was given a number to call to get it. The number was a recording at a text messaging service, and for a ten dollar fee, they would tell me information about the number I was calling. At this point, I was so disgusted I said to hell with it. Let them come after me. Well, here it is, two years later, and they are. I recieved a call from the law firm of Riddel and Wood, and given 48 hours to pay it or fax them a police report, and an affidavit of fraud. It will be faxed to them tomorrow. I have never in my life dealt with a more cold hearted, rude staffed, and outright lying company. I will not let this go at this point.
N  17th of Aug, 2009 by
Did you file a police report when it first happened? That would have been the FIRST thing I would have done. Sitting on your butt for two years while letting your ex wife get away with it is asinine. Who knows how many credit cards or other things she's used your SS# on.
A  10th of Oct, 2009 by
Hah this is clearly illegal on your husband's part and on the part of Direct tv. Your husband is not allowed to forge your signature, and Direct tv can't hold you responsible for the charges. You may have to prosecute your husband for forgery, but at the same time, you should be able to have an attorney explain to the thieves at Direct tv that they don't have a legal document/contract because YOUR signature is not on it.

I'd go after both of them with both legal barrels. If my husband ever did anything like that to me he'd be toast and he knows it. He'd better hope the cops got to him first so he'd be safe in jail ha ha ha.

Good luck and hope it works out for you.
N  17th of Jan, 2011 by
I Helen Williams would like to make a complaint on who ever lives at 1153 south 53 street. Because they have used my personl information to obtain a direct Tv bill in my name without my permission. An addition I have seen this address on my credit report and I have never lived at this address and I dont know who lives here at all. My home address is 6508 Elmwood ave Philadelphia pa 19142. i would like to press charges and have this bogus charged given to whoever lives at the house where they ran up this bill and used fraud to retrive this account.
D  29th of Dec, 2014 by
My mom used my name and social number to get direct tv for my grandparents at their house. I have never signed anything and the only way they can get me out of a 2 yr contract is to file a police report against my family, or pay the cancelation fee. My grandparents are talking about paying the ridiculous fee of $460 cancelation fee. This is cheaper that the thousands they would need to pay the next 24 months. I cant understand how they can still hold me to a contract I never even signed!

DirecTV Logo DirecTV