Direct TV / lairs, scams, bait n switch, early cancel fee, etc...

So I currently have Comcast and wanted to see whats so good about direct tv so my comcast is not a contract so I can cancel anytime, I called direct TV and told them I currently have comcast cable and I just wanted to try out Direct TV and see a side by side and the agent told me thats not a problem at all. You have 30 days trial and if you do not like it, you won't be responsible for the installation nor the contract agreement... great, lets order it and let me try it out. I also DOUBLE checked to make sure there is no early term fee or anything like that and he said 30 days free trial.

Okay so we ordered it, tested it didn't like it compared to our comcast and called to cancel... this is when EVERYTHING went bad with direct TV. They said there is no 30 day free trial. I tried to contact the same sales person to help but no luck. I finally got a supervisor who was a human being and understood (cuz why would ANYONE in their right mind order a direct tv contract when they already have comcast cable? makes no sense) and credited my account back for the $460 charge or early termination... Well, it shows up on my direct tv account but they never gave it back. They said "IT WAS A VALID EARLY TERMINATION FEE" and will not be giving me back $460.. WTF thats crazy. I don't have $460 sitting under my couch to spare for you... I have to pay bills!!!

So I kept calling and talking to supervisors, talked to the presidents cabinet, and still no luck... I just sent a email to Chase Carey... I don't know if that will work or not. I also used my debt card to pay so I won't be able to use my credit card company to help me dispute this charge.

ANY HELP? In this economy I wouldn't want to lose $460 for nothing!!!

DAMN YOU DIRECT TV, why did you lie, to me. Why did you do a bait n switch, your company is HORRIBLE!!!

Comments

• Te
      25th of Apr, 2009

Call your bank! If you used a debit/check card and the transaction has been poseted to your accound, you can file a dispute for the money. You may get lucky and get it refunded. Just be prepared to explain the situation to the bank's customer service reporesentative.

Good Luck!

PS - I am in the process of disputing chagres made to my debit card from another company, so I know what you are feeling.

As a side note, some banks require that your card be closed and a new one issued (new number) to prevent further fruad.

25th of Apr, 2009

Just so that it is not for nothing, if you reactivate your service they will refund the money. The "trial" period is 72 hours (3 days)

25th of Apr, 2009

Banks will refund the funds until they have looked into the problem, if they find that the withdrawl is legit theywill withdrawl the funds again. And being that a contract was signed with Directv they are going to get your money.

25th of Apr, 2009

geesh its expensive enough without yahoos calling and expecting setup, install, with a tech just for a 'free trial'

they need to keep that money -- after all, they performed services for you and that costs them money.

25th of Apr, 2009

the bank will put it in 'dispute'. they certainly won't just 'refund' it so you can just withdraw it to avoid paying if they find out you do owe it.. which bank is this?

25th of Apr, 2009

I have filed a dispute, USAA put the funds back into my account. Like I said before, if the charge was legit they remove the money from my account, if they find that I am right I keep my money and they get it back from the company that originally took it. What do you mean so you could just withdrawl it? Really he's pissed about owing the money to Directv, don't you think he would be just as stressed that he owed the bank?

• Sp
      25th of Apr, 2009

correct they SHOULD get my money BUT if they told me that theres a free trial and I have no obligations if I cancel within the 30 days, then no they DO NOT deserve my money.

If the guy told me for sure that there is NO free trial, then i would of never ordered it to compare... why go through the hassle?

25th of Apr, 2009

well i dont know why anyone in this day and age would think a company would send a skilled tech worker to their home to hook up equipment and set up services and not charge anything for it.

I'm with DirectTv on this one, either you misunderstood what you were agreeing too or you confused the rep with your question. But in either case, that doesn't mean you don't have to pay up or that you are being cheated.

25th of Apr, 2009

Pfft is 100% correct. Like I said in one of my previous posts, You are given 3 days that you can decide to cancel without incurring a termination fee, I think the customer misunderstood and heard 30 instead of 3. You're actually lucky that you didn't go through a retailer, you would have been charged a termination fee from both Directv and the retailer as typically there is a contract with them also, and if the retailer installed it, they would have charged you for the installation also.

• De
      2nd of Feb, 2010

I subscribed to Direct Tv- what a mistake- it was presented (on the phone) as a 1 year committment. I subscribed- during the year- the picture quality was poor and there were intermittent signal problems. I contacted them report and they did not resolve them. After my year commitment - I discontinued the service . At this time, and only at this time, I was notified that I would be charged an early disconnect fee of $252.65 . I asked what this was for and they stated it was early disconnect on a 24 month contract. This was the first time I had heard this. I stated my case with bad quality and misrepresentation, etc. and they charged my card for the fee. When I received my credit card bill, I disputed the charge- it was denied by the credit card because Direct TV could not produce a contract. I appealed- and stated that if Direct Tv could not produce a contract - there was NO CONTRACT!!! I was credited the charges. Months went by and I get a call from a collection company- Direct Tv turned me over to collections for $252.65. I was directed to write to their Corporate Office @ Greenwood Village, Co., of which I did. I stated my case= requesting a copy of the signed contract sent to me immediately in order to resolve this issue. In the interim, I received another call from another collection company- That did it. I searched for Direct TV-corp phone # and could only get to their Customer Service Dept. I then found a number out of California of which I called. This was the office of the President of Direct Tv- Bingo- I again stated my case to a very nice gentleman- Ed-. Ed told me that the agreement was verbal and I had been notified that this was a 2 yr agreement. I asked when? - he stated at the time of disconnect and you still went ahead and discontinued service! I stated of course I did - your company misrepresented the product and service from the beginning.Why would I continue paying for something I was not getting with the faulty service problems and technical issues. Anyway, we bantered back and forth and Ed stated that the agreement even though it was verbal, still stands. I asked for my contract and he said he would "try" to get it-however he could not promise anything, and once again the contract still stands. I said fine product a hard copy of the contract- Ed stated Direct Tv has verbal agreements. I stated, I had legal background and if Direct Tv could not produce a hardcopy, signed agreement, and were standing on the laurels of a "verbal" agreement, this would not fly in a court of law.
    The collection company used the words "contract" and that I breached the "contract".
    I told Ed that if Direct Tv harmed my credit rating by their action- I would take legal action against them. I was trying to resolve an issue, they created .
    Direct Tv cannot have it both ways- produce the written contract or drop your early disconnect fees. This is a ploy to EXTORT money from consumers while delivering faulty service.
    My recommendation: DO NOT DO BUSINESSS WITH DIRECT TV

• Ad
      26th of Nov, 2010

I signed up for Direct Tv about 2 weeks ago, and it is fine until I noticed that at the store they signed me up for HD programing. I did not want this because I have no HD tv yet. I called and disputed and wanted it all changed and they said I had to pay some fees to change equipment and they cannot refund the first month HD fees. I called my Law Firm and Direct TV got a letter, and magically they changed their mind and I got what I wanted. The letter from my Law Firm was free. I have a Pre Paid Legal Membership. IT can help all you with these problems. Contact me for more info. I would love to get you what I got for my family in our ongoing efforts to FIGHT THE MAN. Adam in Michigan. 574 520 7434

• Na
      29th of Jan, 2011

I would like to know how to disconect the Sports and Movie chanels I now have in my bundle I do not want to disconect the service I am happy with it Please give me a phone number I can call to do this. Thank you