Direct TV / terrible service

I am the owner of a duplex complex in Clayton, NC. My duplex renters have Direct TV. During installation, your technician drilled through the foundation vent causing damage that allows insect to get underneath the house and also cold air to get underneath the house and freeze the pipes in cold weather. Also damage was done to the shingles while putting the dish on the roof which has caused some water damage. I would like to know if you have had this complaint from any other home owner.

Ji
Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• Rh
      10th of Apr, 2013

Lord help me! 2 hours to get an upgraded box at my permanent campsite with billing to my house. after 7 years still have to pay extra thinking about dish!!

28th of Dec, 2011

I have been through 3 technicians and 22 customer service people and have been on the phone for 4 hours today just to get our direct t.v. at our new address. for what we have been through i believe that our direct should be free. they have also made unauthorized withdraws from our accounts. i am frustrated i want to talk to someone not an idiot that transfers me evey 5 minutes

• Br
      16th of Jan, 2011

Direct TV is a total scam. They provide the worst service ever. I pay every month on time, and every month I lose service for a couple of days. Whenever I call to complain they treat me like crap and I have to fight just to get credit for the days I was without service. I dont understand what is so hard. I pay for channels, I should get channels. They never do anything to try to help and it takes a minimum of 3 days for them to send a technician out to fix the problem. Worst of all I am stuck with them because of a stupid 2 year contract. If I had any idea that the service would be so terrible I would never have agreed to it. I spend more time on the phone with customer service then I do actually watching TV. Its a total scam! They dont care about their customers and their equipment is garbage. I can get better service with a COAT HANGER!!!
    Shame on you Direct TV!!!

• Lo
      16th of Dec, 2010

I was in the hospital from back surgery & my 16 yr. old called & ordered Direct TV...& signed for it. When I got my bill, I was charged for HD...supposed to be free for 3 mo...what a joke!! It just got worse from there. Can tell you plenty of shady practices they use...NEVER USE THIS COMPANY... DISH IS SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!
    falling3302@msn.com

• Js
      14th of Nov, 2010

Both Direct TV and Dish TV have lied to me about their offers, the pricing, and availability of channels in my area. When I signed for DISH, they got my name, my street address, my town and my zip code wrong. They sent the installation tech to a town 10 hours away from me. It took me two days of phone calls to attempt to clear this up, and finally a new installation time was agreed upon. THEY DIDN"T SHOW UP. I took time off work, I lost a total of 4 hours making phone calls, all for nothing. Nor did they care. I attempted to talk to top executives and THEY DID NOT CARE. So I called Direct TV, only to be lied to about their promotion price, the channel availability, and length of contract. I was told, after I signed up, that I should have read the sign-up agreement. I SIGNED UP OVER THE PHONE, AND EXPECTED THEM TO BE HONEST WITH ME. I DID NOT HAVE AN AGREEMENT IN FRONT OF ME TO READ. When I tried to call to speak to someone to get the truth about the agreement, I was bumped from one person to the next. At one point I got a call from a rep in INDIA who barely spoke english, telling me i needed to start over. He did not have a clue. Finally, i cancelled with both DISH and DIRECT TV. I REFUSE to have television at this point. It is so disheartening that the service is so incredibly bad, that they are dishonest and absolutely DO NOT CARE.

• Da
      22nd of Jul, 2010

My husband & I have had service with Direct TV for more than 10 yrs. We needed to have our old equipment updated to HD. Which ment that a tech. would have to come out replace dish on house & install new HD DVRs in three rooms. Made Apt. to do so & Contracted co. for Houston area never showed. Made many phone calles, were told that theywould be out at later time in day 2 diffrent times tech. was running behind. then finally were told they were out of equipment needed to up grade. Need to reschedule apt. Did so. Still No one showed for apt. were to come later in day still no show 2 times again. Finally after waiting most of day tech showed. Tech. came in(non english speaking) looked at dish on house & said I can't up grade. We do not install dishes on dewellings. can't change equip. gave me his phone with superviser on other end he told us the same thing plus a few choice words & had his techs leave. No work done. We had Direct TV install orginal dish & they changed it out one other time each time putting it on the roof where it was. Don't know what the major malfunction was this time. other than just didn't want to work. In our neighborhood Due to Deed restrictions that is where the dish has to be placed. Never was an issue before. Called & complained again to Direct TV with no results!! Have a list of many complaints on account with Direct TV they just don't seem to care!!! Will now switch to another Co.

• Fo
      19th of Jan, 2010

If you value the truth and honesty of a company then do NOT deal with direct tv . DO NOT give them any credit, debit or bank information. they will tell you you have thirty days to try their service... we cancelled within six days and they just took $506.06 out of our account for "EARLY TERMINATION FEES" they have been giving us the run around since we started with them in oct. and ended in november. NO corporate office to talk to, no legal department to contact... SO IF you really want to go thru major hassles to try their service, which isn't what they sell you over the phone when you receive it. and if you want some company getting into your personal money accounts... then go for it!

17th of Dec, 2009

I recently signed up for Direct TV and the salesman on the phone never disclosed that in order to get the monthly rate he quoted I would have to sign up for a rebate. And they also did not tell me that I would only have this rate for one year. I called and spoke with a rep who apologized but said that they could not do anything, so I demanded to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor said that he would credit my account $25 for the miscommunication. I never saw a credit. I called again, and employee #100234302 said she saw the notes and would take care of it. It was never credited. I called the next day and Meg (rep) told me that since I was a new customer that they can't do a credit on the account. I told her that I hated Direct TV, they don't live up to their claim of being "ethical and honest" and I wish I never signed up. Of course she apologize - which means nothing. She said she would get her supervisor, left me on hold and I was disconnected. I called back - yes, when it comes to issues like this I am ruthless - and I spoke with another rep who finally credited my account. I hope that Meg - the stupid, useless representative at Direct TV accidently falls off a curb and gets hit by a bus. I also hope that Direct TV goes bankrupt from all of the crap that they pull. DON'T SIGN UP FOR DIRECT TV unless you like being frustrated and throwing away your money!

• Dw
      2nd of Dec, 2009

I had Verizon Fios and I thought the service there was bad so being the smart guy I am I went to DIRECT TV! What a mistake this is the worse service I have ever had. I have had a box that has not worked since I received it. I called Direct TV and was told I would have to pay a service fee to get this box fixed. Well I paid the service fee and the box still does not work so I phoned Direct TV and I am now told I will have to pay another service fee. When I signed my contract I signed for 18 months so when I called Direct TV i politely informed them the after the 18 months I would drop the service at that point I was told that because I have a HD box my service is now 24 months. THIS COMPANY IS THE WORSE COMPANY TO DEAL WITH!!! To everyone who is thinking about getting this service please think twice had I been warned I would not be in this mess. I am one very unsatified customer!

• Sc
      23rd of Nov, 2009

I am now experiencing the same problem. They are gouging me for over $800 worth of equipment and an early termination fee. I did not know I was signing extensions nor did I agree to them. After 7 1/2 years of on time paying loyalty, I am being screwed!!!

• Po
      30th of Aug, 2009

I called several times just to get an english speaking rep. When I finally got one, she acted as if she was doing me a favor...She raced through her script so fast I never understood a single sentence. If it wasn't for Direct tv having the NFL Sunday ticket I would tell them to kiss my...

• Di
      22nd of Jul, 2009

"OMG" I couldnt even finish reading it was so terrible!
    Yes, take them to court, just do it.

I was looking for reviews to see if I really wanted to switch to Direct TV.

ahh, NO I DONT THINK SO!!!

Not after reading the few comments that were left here. Thanks for letting us all know before we go through the living hell you all are. (growwwl)

What a bunch of thieving crooks!

Forget about it.

I will just hold out until a different service gets to my area.

Thanks for the heads up!

• Ba
      17th of Jun, 2009

When you call to activate service they do not tell you, that you are signing up for 2 years and there is a $300-400 early disconnect fee. When the technician installs the equipment, you think you are signing for the equipment installed, but you are putting your signature on the 2 year contract. They do not tell you any of this. If you have to disconnect before the 2 years, then you are told you signed the contract and there is absolutely no way around it. They never ever wave the fee, that is company policy. This is blatant false advertising practices. When you try and talk to them, all you get is 'you should have been told at sign up about the contract, if you were not then the technician should have told you. Well what do you do when neither one of them told you about it?

• Re
      7th of May, 2009

Any idiot watching those ads on tv would realize they are telling you that this is the discount for new customers, so what does this make you I dont know. So let me get this strait, you got behind on your bill and expected directv to give you a credit for this, and on top of that you wanted them to make arrangements with you two months in a row???? If you want to be a truely valued customer with any company you must pay them on time every month with no late fees at all for at least 3 years outside of your new customer offer regardless of your situation, or suspend or disconnect if you can not afford it. Dont blame this one on the company.

• Si
      29th of Apr, 2009

After hearing of a $21.oo monthly discount available from Direct Tv while watching the race I called to check on it. I got a live person who wouldn't listen to what I wanted but sure wanted me to know I was behind on my bill. So after denying me the advertised $21.00 discount. I asked about the $35.00 credit from last month. She told me that wasn't in the notes so it didn't happen. So then I asked for an arrangement plan for my bill. After holding on for twenty minutes I was denied any arrangements because I got them last month and I couldn't just expect to have them again. So after five minutes of begging for a resolution specialist I was given to MIKE badge number 100134986. Mike is the highest person at Direct TV, he informed me and although he was sorry Direct tv would rather lose my business than grant me an extension no matter what kind of rough time I am experiencing. But he did note that I was a good customer and they will hate losing me.

• Le
      18th of Feb, 2009

This service is not proffesional. i don't undertandd this service. I have been trying to get this service since maybe October. Due to financial reasons I couldn't. I fianlly had the money in jan. they requiered a deposit $221.00. I really don't like using a credit card on-line, and i decided to do it through western union quick pay!!! The representative gave me a order number instead of a account number. I used that number because that's what the represetative gave me!!!and I asked her 2X just to make sure that is the number I should use. The money got there they received it!!! But they don't recognize the number every time I call it's a hassle and no one seems to know what they are doing... One person sees that the money arrived but they don't understand why no one till this point has not come to my home or called at least to scheduled a installatioin... so i get transffered and i keep repeating same story over and over...frankly i just wanted service and no one is doing what they are suppose too!! I spoke to a supervisor, and she said she will e-mail corporate!!! I will have to wait 48 hours again... I will wait but if no one calls me or I get a date scheduled, I willllllll get my money back and I will call corporate I have been enough pissed of this situation enough is enough thay have un- proffesional people working there...

• Le

DIRECTV, Inc.
    P.O. Box 6550
    Greenwood Village, CO 80155-6550

Dear Sirs:

Would you pay for a service you are not receiving? I think not. That is why I am writing to you. I am a retired person living on a fixed income and switched from Comcast because I thought you would be a better deal. I was mistaken.

I have had Direct TV for a little more than a month and have had to call you six different times now. I told Pam today that I want the boxes sent so I can return your equipment and want this disconnected with no charge or I am filing a lawsuit for repairs to my home, for lack of service, and stress.

1. The initial installer came, busted through my concrete basement wall and ran a wire that hangs down into my family room to hook up the TV there. It was the best he could do according to him.
    2. The initial installer hooked up my bedroom and the TV came in black and white. He said it was the best he could do.
    3. I was supposed to get up to 4-6 hookups for signing up but did not because this guy had to get home to dinner. He told me and a friend who was visiting that his wife had dinner ready. He did not show up until late evening. I was told to call again for my other hookups.
    4. My service went out and I was told I had to wait 5 days to get someone out. The service came back on the day before. I was expected to wait 5 days for service. Not acceptable. I did wait and finally got the bedroom TV to work after somebody came again, however, a line is draped across the back of my home like a clothesline. My new siding has holes in it.
    5. The initial installer put the dish on my brand new roof when I had asked for a pole in the yard. I just had this roof installed this past summer. Now I have a dish sitting on my new roof. Who is getting that off and fixing my roof now?
    6. I made another appointment and was told I would have to pay $300 to get my living room hooked up. I requested a supervisor. I was told by a “Tyler” he was sorry for all my trouble and a supervisor would come out to my home today, January 8th, between the hours of 8-12. He told me the supervisor was not on a schedule and would probably be here at 9:00. Nobody came.
    7. I am an organist for funerals, as well as a substitute teacher. I turned down 3 offers because I sat at home and waited for your people.
    8. I have a TV in my living room that is not hooked up that I can not watch. My other bedroom hookup was never done. I only can see TV now from my family room with the wire hanging down and the hole in my wall.
    9. I called twice today, the second time speaking with Pam. I told her the story again and I want disconnected and for her to send me the Federal Express boxes so you can have your equipment back. She was not nice and told me I had to pay a penalty of around $400 for disconnecting. I protested and told her I never received what I was supposed to get. She is still sending me a bill. I already asked my attorney and was told this is unilateral and benefits only you and not me.
    10. I called my credit card company and cancelled my card so you can not charge me.
    11. I called Comcast and they are reconnecting me at the pole for $104.48.

Your company is absolutely terrible. I have damages to my home., wires hanging, no TV service in two rooms, your people treated me like crap, I had to wait about 5 days every time I called back to complain, the supervisor never showed up, I could not even see your service during our last ice storm, I went nearly 5 days without any TV, and you want to charge me? I think not. I am out repairs to my home, having someone come and redo my roof taking your dish off, and I am out income.

If I do not hear from you in two weeks, I am forwarding this letter and my documentation to the following: You are not stealing from me without a fight.

Attorney General State Of IL
    AARP
    Better Business Bureau

If you do not write me off totally, I shall be forced to file suit to get your company to leave me in peace.

• Mo
      17th of Dec, 2008

Just a consumer aware with Direct TV.

I was a loyal customer for over 5 years and always paid online. This was until our dvr box decided to stop working the morning after they had sent one of their usual automatic updates to it.

I called the rep to be told I would have to pay $70 for a tech to come and look at the box, then pay an additional $300 if it had to be replaced. I had no time limited contract with them from being a customer for so long and thus I also found out that I owned the DVR box, so it was my responsibility that it broke.

You could imagine my surprise and I requested to speak to a supervisor, which after being on hold for ever, I was hung up on. I called back and was then told by a different rep that I also had the option to sign up for their monthly service plan which would eliminate the tech fee, but would be an addition $5+ a month. I explained my frustration that they were the ones in control of the box, I had done nothing to it, yet I have to pay for it. So why would I have to pay for a service when they could just send a signal and kill your cable box whenever they wanted too ... sounded like a scam to get you to sign up to their service plan ...

It took me 5 minutes to cancel my service with Direct TV and sign up on a much cheaper bundle package with Comcast. A few days past and I regularly check my bank account. I found that Direct TV had taken my last payment of $64 which was not even due yet, straight out of my account. I was not on any form of automatic payment with them, and had chose the option to pay 1 time only via credit card each time I paid my bill online. I called them to ask them why they had done this as it was not authorized, their answer was ... Oh we updated our contract agreement recently and you would have gotten a copy with your statement in the mail. If you cancel your account, we are allowed to take the remaining balance immediately out of whatever account you have saved with us online that you have been making payments with in the past.!!!.

So BEWARE of making any payment online to them through the direct TV web site. Stick to making them directly through your own banking system or send a check when you get your statement. If not you will get an unpleasant surprise with probably a lot of NSF fees to follow.

Funny thing is that they now call and send me junk mail trying to get my business back, not in a million years Direct TV, you lost a very loyal customer and your not the only ones to offer all those channels anymore, DUH!!!

• Ty
      1st of Dec, 2008

I agree with the comments regarding Direct TV. I have been a loyal customer for over 10 yrs now, and I am deeply disappointed with the way in which they are doing business. I recently upgraded to HD (bought an HD TV and receiver). When it was time to start the NFL season, I knew I was paying for my NFL package ($249), but what they didn't tell you is that you have to pay an additional $100 to have the NFL games in HD. What a friggin rip off that is. Not only that, you must pay an additional $10/mo for any additional receiver. This is highway robbery of the consumer. The company did almost 17billion dollars last yr. U can imagine (like most CEO's) how they're eating these days; like fat cats!!! I am in the process of cancelling these idiots and moving to a different/more cost efficient and effective service. I have also filed a complaint with the FCC (http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm).