Direct TV / service

Log of complaints with DirecTV
This log is intended as record of problems I have dealt with DirecTV and is intended to be used in case of litigation or as a testimony to either the cable company or DirecTV in the future.

Problem #1 12/16/07
Details: I was recording the Saturday night football game so that I could watch it later this evening. I went to list selected the game and began watching the game. With the score 0 - 0 in the first quarter the TV went blank and a message came on the screen saying that the receiver was resetting. It came back up in a setup program asking questions I could not answer so I called your 1-800#. First of all your automated answering system is rediculous, it took me several minutes to get to talk with someone
that could help me. When I got to customer service they walked me throught the setup and got my service back up BUT the game I had recorded was no longer on my play list and I could not retreive it, so I lost the game that I had been all set to watch. I was warned by others not to leave cable and go to satelite but I didn't listen. Now I know what my friends were warning me about. If this is the kind of experience I can expect form you then I will contact a lawyer to get out of my contract and go to the
internet and tell the truth about Satelite service. I am very disappointed with your service and I've only had it for a few months. I was a cable customer for 20+ years and never had an experience like this.NOT HAPPY

Resolution: 12/19/07
Positive
Called the complaint office and they apologized for the loss of my game and gave me a $10 discount for the next 12 months for a total of $120 discount. Plus if I take the NFL ticket next year they will give me the additional super fan feature for free.

Problem #2 01/05/08
After holding on line for way too long I sent the following complaint through their web site.

Customer 01/05/2008 03:55 PM

[Topic Selected: DIRECTV Billing]

I have been on hold all day trying to talk with an agent so I will try this.

I just received my first bill since coming off the promotion package. You have charged me for two packages. You charged me for Choice @$49.99 AND Plus DVR @$59.99. You should have only charged me for Plus DVR @59.99. Also there are some discrepancies with partial charges in adjustments and credits.

I am not off to a very good start with your company. In fact I have decided to start keeping a journal of all these problems including the times I lose reception in case I have to take action in the future.

Please contact me when you have resolved this issue.

-----Original Message-----
From: DIRECTV Customer Service [mailto:directvcustomercare@directv.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2008 9:40 PM
To: censcoe@frontiernet.net
Subject: Over billed [Reference #: [protected]]

Over billed

Response (Josephine) 01/06/2008 06:39 PM
Dear Mr. Enscoe,

Thanks for writing and for letting us know your concern about the charges on your DIRECTV account. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you today.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and confusion this situation has caused and I understand that you should only have the PlusDVR package. In order to resolve this, I went ahead and cancelled Choice then issued a total credit of $51.66. You'll see this credit reflected on your next DIRECTV bill, or you can see it immediately by signing into your DIRECTV account online at directv.com/mydirectv and clicking on "View Recent Activity" in the My Account column.

At this time, your account shows a remaining balance of $87.35. If you still have any questions regarding your bill, just write us back or call us at [protected] and one of our Customer Service Representatives will be glad to assist you. You can verify your online bill access by signing into your account and clicking on "View Statement;" you should immediately see a list of at most twenty four statements available for you to view.

I hope this information clarifies your recent bill. Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to directv.com for the latest news and information about our services.

Josephine L.

I replied through email sent Mon 1/7/2008 8:33 AM
Dear
Josephine L.
DIRECTV Customer Service

By my calculation my bill should be $77.35 and not the $87.35 you have stated in the note below. I have a $10.00 monthly credit from an earlier agreement which looks like it has been applied but I see a $10.00 charge for Protection Plan Cancel which I don’t understand. I was on your 4 month promotion plan which expired 12/30/07 so how can you charge me for a cancellation?

Please respond and let me know the resolution to this inquiry.

Chuck & Chieko Enscoe

RE: Over billed [Reference #: [protected]]

Response (Allain L)
01/07/2008 04:24 PM
Dear Mr. Enscoe,

Thank you for writing us back. I understand your concern about getting charged $10 for canceling the DIRECTV Protection Plan and I apologize for any confusion that this may have caused. Please allow me to address your concern.

I checked your records and found that you signed up for the special NFL SUNDAY TICKET offer that included four months of free PREMIER and DVR Service. Please note that this offer did not include getting the Protection Plan free of charge.

In addition, I'd also like to let you know that you were supposed to keep the Protection Plan for one year. Since you cancelled the Protection Plan within your first year, you were charged a $10 Protection Plan cancellation fee.

I hope this clarifies your concerns. Should you have further questions, please email us back or call us at [protected] and a Customer Service specialist will be most happy to assist you.

Thank you again for writing and giving us the opportunity to respond to your needs.

Allain L.

Summary to problem #2.
They did in fact over bill me and made the correction but on the correction they charged me an additional $10 for canceling my protection plan. The protection plan was something that came with the original promotion and not something I asked for. The charge for the protection plan is $5.99 per month. When I switched over to the plus package the cancel protection plan was already a default selection so I left it that way. Now they tell me there is a $10 penalty for canceling the protection plan within a one year time frame. So they sign you up for a 4 month promotion knowing full well that you will most likely change plans after the promotion period is up and when you don’t select the protection plan they bill you $10, something they never explained in the first place. I could go back and complain some more but it’s just not worth the aggravation I have dealing with these people. I’ll eat the $10 this time and hope my problems go away.

Problem #3 02/01/08
Details: Friday night about 11:45PM signal started getting patchy, breaking up. By midnight I had completely lost the signal caused by ice and snow build up on my dish. This kind of thing only rarely happened with cable.
Resolution: 02/02/08
Positive/Negative: By the next morning I had my signal back, but with cable I wouldn’t have lost the signal.

Problem #4 02/05/08
Details: Tuesday night I tried to rewind the news on channel 10 and the DVR would not rewind. Called [protected] again.

Resolution: 02/05/08
Positive/Negative
After getting through their automated messages and being put on hold I got customer service. I explained the problem to CS and after taking my information and problem description she put me on hold for some time. She realized that she couldn’t help me so she transferred me to Technical support. Again on hold but in less than a minute of hold I got hold of a technician. It took a half hour on the phone with the tech before he realized that there was nothing he could do on his end to fix the problem. I found out that the DVR has never worked properly because he explained that if I hit record in the middle of a program that it should go back to the beginning of the program. Mine never has, if I hit record in the middle of a program it just records from the point I hit record. So this has been faulty from the beginning. They are charging me $19.95 for shipping to send me a new DVR and have me send the old one back. Since I am getting a new DVR I will lose all the programs I have stored on the disc. To appease me they are giving me 3 months of free movie channels so that I can record new movies onto my disc. That’s a $36 value so it makes up for some of my misery. Techs name was Mike employee #410653. When I hook up the new DVR I have to call [protected] pin #1439 which will get me right to Tech support without the crazy automated messages. I need to tell them that I want to activate my new DVR and deactivate my old DVR.

02/09/08 11:56AM
I received my new DVR yesterday afternoon but it was too late in the day to install it as we had company coming over for dinner. I installed the new DVR on Saturday morning.
Old DVR:

Rcv ID [protected]
Ser# B02AF7BA310978
Model # R15-300
Access card # [protected]

The new DVR is much smaller than the old DVR so I had to use the older DVR’s box that I had kept from the original installation to ship the DVR back to DirecTV.
FedEx return shipping info
Shipping label # 26283283
SKU: R15-300C-R
Order # [protected]
PO# [protected]
Ship date: 06FEB08
Trk # [protected]
After installing the DVR I called tech support and spoke with Lawrence who helped me through the guided installation then deactivated the old card and activated the new access card. I related to Lawrence that I spoke with other DirecTV customers and they said that I shouldn’t have to pay the $19.95 shipping because this DVR was defective from the start. Lawrence didn’t argue, he explained that it was a FedEx charge and not DirecTV but because of the circumstances that he would credit my account the $19.95. I thanked him and soon after I got an email from DirecTV showing the transaction.

I also explained that the new DVR was much smaller physically and that I couldn’t use the same shipping box. He said it was ok to use the other box I had in my possession.

End of call was 12:20PM

Keeping a hard copy of this transaction in my Feb billing folder.

Problem #5 2/26/08 8:30 PM

Connecticut at Rutgers basketball was supposed to be shown on channel 621 MSG but when I went to watch it I got a message 721 not available in this area. Called customer service [protected]. Spoke with a Sarah who tried to troubleshoot the problem by having me reset my receiver then she ran me through setup and had me verify satellite data info. None of this worked. She transferred me to the technical department and I spoke with Jeremiah. I had to run through my problem again with him and he put me on hold for several minutes. He got back to me and said I should not be blacked out there must be a problem on their end and that he was going to have to escalate the problem, he sent an email off to engineering letting them know the problem but that doesn’t help me one bit on watching this game. He asked me if he had answered all my questions and I said no he hadn’t answered me on when I could see the game. He answered that it would be resolved when engineering fixed the problem and there was nothing he could do on his end other than apologize. I told him that I was building a case by documenting all these incidents as I never had these problems while I was a cable customer and that I was going to try to get out of my contract. He said once again he apologized but there was nothing more he could do. I got his employee #W2393 and told him that I was an unhappy customer. No basketball game tonight. 9:20PM almost an hour on the phone.

I logged on to DirecTV and sent a message to customer service with the above comments and asked them how I could get out of my contract without paying a penalty. Time of message sent to customer service 9:39PM

Blacked out and missed game

Response (Arlene S) 02/27/2008 04:23 AM
Dear Mr. Enscoe,

Thanks for writing. I'm sorry to hear about the problems you had watching the basketball game. Let me assist you with your concern.

I just wanted to let you know that we received your email and I have forwarded it to a sport specialist who will research your email and follow up with you. Please note that due to high volume it may take a few days for a specialist to contact you. For immediate assistance, please call us at [protected].

Thanks again for writing, we appreciate your patience and understanding.

Arlene S.
DIRECTV Customer Service

Make the most of DIRECTV by registering your account on directv.com. You'll learn about exclusive online promotions, new features of DIRECTV and the latest programs and packages. Visit www.directv.com/register today.
Customer (Entered by Arlene S) 02/27/2008 04:23 AM

[Topic Selected: Sports]

Details: I have pasted the following excerpt from my problem log that I use to document all the problems I have with your service. Problem #5 2/26/08 8:30 PM Connecticut at Rutgers basketball was supposed to be shown on channel 621 MSG but when I went to watch it I got a message 721 not available in this area. Called customer service [protected]. Spoke with a Sarah who tried to troubleshoot the problem by having me reset my receiver then she ran me through setup and had me verify satellite data info. None
of this worked. She transferred me to the technical department and I spoke with Jeremiah. I had to run through my problem again with him and he put me on hold for several minutes. He got back to me and said I should not be blacked out there must be a problem on their end and that he was going to have to escalate the problem, he sent an email off to engineering letting them know the problem but that doesn't help me one bit on watching this game. He asked me if he had answered all my questions and I said no he
hadnt answered me on when I could see the game. He answered that it would be resolved when engineering fixed the problem and there was nothing he could do on his end other than apologize. I told him that I was building a case by documenting all these incidents as I never had these problems while I was a cable customer and that I was going to try to get out of my contract. He said once again he apologized but there was nothing more he could do. I got his employee #W2393 and told him that I was an unhappy
customer. No basketball game tonight. 9:20PM almost an hour on the phone. It is now 9:39PM and as I write this channel 621 has come back on as the basketball game is now over. There is no way I should have missed this game. What do I have to do to legally get out of my contract without paying a penalty?

-----Original Message-----
From: DIRECTV Customer Service [mailto:directvcustomercare@directv.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:23 PM
To: censcoe@frontiernet.net
Subject: Blacked out and missed game [Reference #: [protected]]

Blacked out and missed game

Response (BP Michael H) 02/27/2008 03:23 PM
Dear Mr. Enscoe,

Thanks for writing. I am sorry that you were not able to view the Rutgers/ UCONN basketball game on Madison Square Garden network. I will be able to address your concern today.

As the provider of the most comprehensive sports programming lineup in the digital home entertainment industry, it's challenging to describe the blackout rules for many different locations and sports briefly. Please visit our web site at directv.com/blackouts for our general blackout FAQ, and click on the specific sports package you're interested in for more detailed information.

We realize blackouts can be confusing and sometimes frustrating to our customers. However, to honor our agreements with the leagues and other owners of broadcast rights, we must pay close attention to the restrictions that we are required to follow.

As a reminder, When you started your DIRECTV account, you were given very specific information regarding cancellation of services before the agreed upon programming commitment. The programming commitment is in return for discounted equipment. We agree to lease you our equipment at a reduced rate and you intern, agree to keep DIRECTV services for a period ranging from 18-24 months.

I hope you find this information helpful and thank you again for writing.

Michael H. ID#U8397

Customer 02/26/2008 06:42 PM

[Topic Selected: Sports]

Details: I have pasted the following excerpt from my problem log that I use to document all the problems I have with your service. Problem #4 2/26/08 8:30 PMConnecticut at Rutgers basketball was supposed to be shown on channel 621 MSG but when I went to watch it I got a message 721 not available in this area. Called customer service [protected]. Spoke with a Sarah who tried to troubleshoot the problem by having me reset my receiver then she ran me through setup and had me verify satellite data info. None
of this worked. She transferred me to the technical department and I spoke with Jeremiah. I had to run through my problem again with him and he put me on hold for several minutes. He got back to me and said I should not be blacked out there must be a problem on their end and that he was going to have to escalate the problem, he sent an email off to engineering letting them know the problem but that doesnt help me one bit on watching this game. He asked me if he had answered all my questions and I said no he

2/27/08
Dear Michael H. ID#U8397
DIRECTV Customer Service

I have read your blackout rules but they are very ambiguous especially the statement “If a local off–air broadcast channel (not ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX) or local cable system has rights to broadcast a game in a certain region, customers in that area will be unable to receive that game through their DIRECTV® subscription(s). “ Does that mean that if Time Warner cable is showing something that DirecTV can’t show it. If so then you couldn’t show anything because Time Warner shows all that you have and more. That can’t be correct or you wouldn’t be able to show anything.

This particular game was broadcast on Channel 621 Madison Square Gardens which is available to my account Plus DVR with Sports Pack. It was not being shown locally on any channel. Your customer service representative (Sarah) verified that I should not be blacked out and tried to fix the problem. She escalated the call to Tech support and your Tech support representative Jeremiah employee ID #W2393 also verified that I should not be blacked out. He was able to see the game on HD but not on 621. So either your own representatives don’t understand the blackout rules or you are incorrect. Since I don’t feel that your correspondence with me has sufficiently addressed the problem I would like this to be elevated to your supervisor for further investigation.

Chuck & Chieko Enscoe
621 Bending Bough Dr.
Webster, NY 14580
[protected]

RE: Blacked out and missed game [Reference #: [protected]]

Response (Noel B) 02/27/2008 09:11 PM
Dear Chuck & Chieko Enscoe,

Thanks for writing us back about your sports programming concern. I'm sorry to learn that we were not able to address your specific concern with our previous response. I just wanted to let you know that we received your email and I have forwarded it to a specialist who will research your email and follow up with you within the next 48 hours. For immediate assistance, please call us at [protected].

Thank you for your patience and understanding and for providing us with the opportunity to be of service to you.

Noel B.

Customer (Entered by Noel B) 02/27/2008 09:11 PM

Resolution #5: 02/05/08

Subject
RE: Blacked out and missed game [Reference #: [protected]] [Reference #: [protected]]

Response (AV Josh D) 03/01/2008 09:35 AM
Dear Mr. Enscoe,

Thank you for taking the time to write. The reason why the Rutgers and Connecticut game was incorrectly blacked out in your area is not known. We were able to open an escalation to our broadcast department to try and resolve the problem that night as quickly as possible but as you have stated we were unable to resolve the problem before the end of the game. I do apologize that you were unable to see the game due to the technical problems we were experiencing.

We do strive for perfection to not have any of these types of issues arise for customers who are supposed to receive the correct programming but for unspecified technical reasons are not able to receive the programming. Please be aware that we cannot guarantee it will not happen again but we will work as hard as we possibly can to ensure you that all of our customers receive the programming they are supposed to.

Thanks again for writing and I thank you very much for your patience and understanding.

Joshua D. Y4368

Problem #6 3/14/08 7:50 PM

It's happening again. Back on Feb 26th 2008 I called Customer Svc because I could not see the Rutgers vs Conn. baseketball game on channel 621 MSG. Customer svc saw that I should have been able to view that game but was unable to resolve the problem. They escalted the problem to Tech support, they acknowledged that I should be able to receive that channel and supposedly escalated the problem to engineering. I started a string of emails with you which ended with the following email.

" Subject

RE: Blacked out and missed game [Reference #: [protected]]

Response (DI Michael Y)
02/28/2008 05:08 PM

Dear Mr. Enscoe,

Thank you for writing. I understand your concern regarding not being able to watch the Connecticut and Rutgers game on the MSG network, channel 621. I apologize for any inconvenience and I will be happy to assist you. In reviewing your account, I see that you have been a customer for six months, and I want to take a moment to thank you for your continued support of DIRECTV.

I see that the MSG network is one of your local regional sports networks. You are authorized to view the pro and college games shown on that channel. Due to contractual broadcast rights between the networks and the leagues, those who live outside of your area are not authorized to view the same games.

You should have been able to watch the Connecticut versus Rutgers game. If you are not able to watch a game on MSG network, the YES Network, and FSN New York that you should be able to view, please contact us at [protected] twenty four hours every day and we will be happy to assist you with resolving the problem.

Thank you again for writing.

Michael Y. U8843
DIRECTV Customer Service "

I just got off the phone with Elan from customer svc, and Ryan emp#[protected] from Tech support both agreed that I should not be blocked out. Ryan stated that sometimes your engineering department blocks out people who should not be blacked out. I told Ryan that this was supposed to be escalated to engineering on the 26th of Feb but he showed no escalation in his records. So here we are again. I'm missing a very good hockey (Rangers vs. Panthers) game broadcast on channel 621 from 7:30 to 10PM and you still have not resolved the problem. You are not living up to your end of the contractual agreement, you need to fix this problem.

A customer that is not happy.
Mr Charles Enscoe

Subject
Not receiving a program I should be able to see.

Response (Danielle) 03/14/2008 07:38 PM
Dear Mr. Enscoe,

Thanks for writing us back and following up on your previous E-mails. I'm sorry to hear about the continued problems you have experienced. I went ahead and forwarded your follow-up email and additional concerns to a specialist who will contact you within 24-48 hours.

As what was mentioned in the previous reply, normally, we are able to get back to you as soon as possible. Our agents are working overtime to be able to help you as fast as possible, but if you need immediate assistance, please call us at [protected].

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Danielle D.
Employee ID # [protected]

Subject
Not receiving a program I should be able to see.

Response (CS Kirk S) 03/15/2008 09:30 AM
Dear Mr. Enscoe,

Thank you for writing about the college games and I can address your concern.

I realize that this must be very frustrating for you and certainly understand your concern. This issue was escalated to broadcasting on March 14th, 2008 for further review. Please allow additional time for broadcasting to address this issue.

Thank you again for writing and I hope that I was able to help you. As always our goal is to provide you with excellent customer service and world class entertainment.

Kirk S.
U9311

Resolution #6
Negative
It is now 3/25/08 and they never got back to me as they asked for additional time to resolve the problem.

Problem #7 3/25/08 7:00 AM
Searching for signal message on several channels but the one I wanted to watch was ESPN2 the opening baseball game of the 2008 season, Red Sox and Oakland A’s from Japan. Called customer service and heard a message that they were aware of the problem and that the signal should return soon.

Resolution #7: 03/25/08
Negative
I was put on hold for 11 minutes and when I finally got through I asked what they were going to do for customers to make up for this. I spoke with Axel from Tech support who acknowledged the problem was quite extensive and said that they needed 24hrs to resolve the problem. 24 HRS! That does a lot of good the game is in the third inning right now and I don’t think they will wait for DirecTV to catch up. I asked what they were doing for customers and they said that they could offer one month of Showtime. I asked if there was something else other than Showtime and they said they had nothing else to offer. I told them that I didn’t like Showtime but if that was all they could offer I would take it. The signal came back about 90 minutes later.

Problem #8 3/25/08 8:15 PM
Went channel surfing through my sports package and found on 8 channels that I should be receiving I was getting a message that stated “Channel not purchased (721) Rcvr [protected] Card [protected] “ I went on line and looked at the channel line up for the sports package and according to the web site I should be getting those channels because I purchase the sports package. I called customer service [protected] and spoke with John who verified that I should be getting those channels, he tried some troubleshooting like unplugging the receiver from the wall and then seeing if the situation changed. It did not.

Resolution #8: 03/25/08
Negative
He searched his logs and said he found a note that they were having problems with certain sports package channels and that they were working on the problem at this time but he had no estimate on when the problem would be fixed. He apologized and said that the next time I called in to customer service that he had put in his notes that I would receive some sort of compensation for this inconvenience.

Problem #9 3/27/08 9:30 PM
Went channel surfing again through my sports package. Yesterday I was getting the stations I had problems with in problem #8 but today I’m back to having 6 channels that give me the message “Channel not purchased (721) Rcvr [protected] Card [protected] “ Spoke with Amy and related the problem, she saw that she could not resolve the problem so she transferred me to Tech support. Stephen explained that I was being blocked from seeing the game because of contractual agreements with professional sports. That to see the hockey game I was trying to watch I would have to purchase the center ice package. Since it was being shown on center ice it could not be shown on the sports package and the would be the case with all professional sports.

I explained to him that I was told when I purchased the sports package that I needed the sports package to see MSG, YES, SNY, the channels I always watch to see the Mets and Yankees, and that now I find out that this was not the case, since I subscribe to choice extra I am entitled to those channels even without the sports package. So I was lied to seven months ago and have been paying $12 a month for something that I’m not interested in. I was so angry with DirecTV that I demanded to be reimbursed but they refused. I cancelled the sports package immediately and hung up on Stephen.

Resolution #9 3/27/08 10:00PM
A three Advil moment.

Problem #10 11/24/08 9:30 PM

This is not really problem #10 it’s probably more like #20 I just got tired of writing complaints. The above complaints mostly involved me calling them and using this as a log to keep track of what goes on. I have had so many complaints about missing Syracuse basketball games, missing Mets and Yankees baseball games because for one reason or another they blocked the signal that I just gave up logging them in. Well I am writing this the morning after (11/25) I lost satellite hookup to ESPN on a Monday night. I was recording Syracuse basketball on ESPN2 and watching Monday night football on ESPN. It was a great game for SU against Florida a 2 pt game and I lost the feed at half time so I don’t know what happened and of course I lost the football game in the second qtr and don’t know what happened there either.

It’s 7am now 11/25 and I am going to call [protected]. Office was closed for general support so they directed me to try online support. It is now 20 minutes later. It took that long to get through the screens and submit my complaint/question, they forced me to choose categories for my email that didn’t fit the profile of my complaint. More later.

Comments

• Wa
      27th of Aug, 2008

Trying to get emergency service is a joke.I cut my neighbors Directv line while mowing.called to arrange someone to fix it, what a joke.6 days before they will come out.Meanwhile my 76 year old neighbor has no cable and its my fault.So what do ya do, i say call the competitor and sign up for their Sat tv service, bet they can get it installed b4 i can get it repaired.Directv Service SUCKS!

• Kk
      26th of Jun, 2009

DirecTV cut my cable for my Hughes Net when they installed their dish, since I was not using Hughes Net at the time. I never gave permission for them to do that. Since 6/18, I am charged $72.32 for Hughes Net and they said I have to pay for the service call for them to come out and reinstall a new cable. DirecTV said they will not pay it, since it is not their problem and that their service people do it all the time. They did not think anything was wrong about them doing that. Since, I have learned this has happend to other people and DirecTV needs to stop getting away with it!

• Rh
      20th of Jul, 2009

mediately contacted them.
    They give me a run around with transferring me to four different people then making me explain the same thing each time what my complaint was .
    The last person I spoke with told me they were protecting the company and not the customer. So therefore I then filed aIn February I had a contract with Directs to get their service for a given amount,
    The first billing was correct the second billing was incorrect and I im complaint with the state. The state informed me that Directv refused to cooperate.
    They advised me that I would need to use the court system or to complain to the Attorney General office about possible fraud,
    Directv finally answered to the state but did not offer any solutions to this problem.

• Qu
      18th of Aug, 2009

DirecTV has impossibly horrible service.
    I was a loyal customer for 10+ years. Decided to upgrade to the HD signal, since we received a new LCD tv as a gift. As I went to activate the new HD-DVR box, the person on the phone failed to ask me if I had an HD-DVR dish for the installation... I was also not notified that I'd have to pay a hefty penalty for canceling what I thought was a simple 'upgrade' to my existing account.

Turns out that my apartment did not have an HD capable dish, and that DirecTV wanted to install one, but our building would not allow it (probably from their own frustrated experiences with DirecTV). So here I am stuck with an HD account, and I can't even use it, and to cancel would cost me $420.00, not to mention what I had to pay to buy an HD DVR box (another $187), and even though I wrote to the claims department, they are not budging on releasing me from the HD contract... even though I cannot get an HD signal... sounds like extortion to me... is this worthy of a lawsuit (class action or small claims?)

• Dl
      27th of Sep, 2009

Just cancelled my Directv account, I had planned on having a second DVR installed but service techs came unprepared-suggested I miss anothers day work so they could re-schedule appointment, called customer service and was told the re -schedule and install would now cost $49.95. Told them forget it, when I called to cancel after being customer for almost 6 years, was told I would be charged $250. for early termination because I had upgraded equipment a year earlier (installed an actual HD DVR for a supposed HD DVR I purchased from them which was only a DVR) Directv is operating in an underhanded way. Their customer service techs need to be re-trained and have a statement they read and you have to agree to that states "Any change to your equipment will cause a renewel of your service contract from 18 to 24 months, and that any equipment you purchase still belongs to DTV.

• Li
      1st of Dec, 2009

I am blown away to see I'm not standing alone with EXTREME problems with DirecTV! I was moving about 2 miles, had just bought my first home, was crazy happy. Wanted a service that was a bundled package and especially looking to be able to watch the Patroits play because my fiance is from Massachusetts. And if anyone knows someone from there, you know that are crazy Patriots and Red Sox fans! Called Directv because I was told they were the only ones where you could get this and the other things I needed. The girl I spoke with was awesome! Promised me everything I asked for. "Bundled package Deal" with NFL Sunday Ticket explaining that she had just watched a Patriots game the other night! Movie channels, and of course my "other" issue, the internet was going to be partnered with AT&T however would be shipped out to me about a week after my installation of the other! On the day that the internet did NOT arrive I immediatly called. Try to get help from anyone there you speak with...I dare you! Very long story short, after having just TV service and no NFL Sunday Ticket which by the way they will tell you it's on your account but you can't view it on your TV!!! Having this service for about 8 days I've been charged almost 800.00 folks! Yes, a little over 200.00 for a security deposit, and a bit over 500.00 this past week directly drawn out of my checking account UNAUTHORIZED! Went to my bank and they have also filled 2 seperate claims to dispute to help me get my money back. I had written a letter, as instructed, by "a Supervisor at DirecTV" to the dispute department in Colorado and have been patiently waiting for them to get back with me. And then next thing I know, over 500 bucks taken right out of my account! Meanwhile, I just sent a check for my new mortgage payment and my new Jeep payment!!! Thank God my bank is not going to let anything more bad happen to my account and are going to help me with the checks that I sent out.
    I am going to make this my lifes mission to make sure I am heard by Directv and paid back the money they STOLE from my family! This company needs to be put OUT OF SERVICE!
    I've also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and waiting to hear back from them as well. I don't want anything from Directv except the exact $ amount they stole.
    Lisa Kingsley

• St
      26th of Dec, 2009

I signed up for Directv and had it installed Dec. 24. Saturday they disconnected me because there was a family member who had an unpaid bill. I never even lived with this family member and they are penalizing me for his actions. For some reason his name shows up as a relative that lived with me. Now I either pay his past due balance or I stay disconnected. I paid $379 (needed a $300 deposit) and now I have no choice but to pay it or else I'm out that money.

• Ta
      9th of Jul, 2010

Directv is horrrible and no one should use them. They promise everything when you try to sign up and do not come through at all. I asked for On Demand, was told I would have it and was given the wrong box. Then I was told I had to pay a $100 for the guy to come out and deliver the correct box. Then they said I could change names on the account since I originally took on the account when my brothers credit was not good, then when I tried to switch it was against their policy. I told them I was referred to get my friend a credit and then they didn't give the credit since I dialed the wrong phone line.

I would never recommend them. They have too many people working their that do not know their policies. Then they stick you in long contracts that cost you a fortune to get out when they constantly make mistakes.

• Eu
      3rd of Dec, 2010

Be careful if you pay your DirecTV monthly bill early. They will send you emails demanding that you pay your bill in full by the due date. I paid my monthly bill via the bank on the day that the bill was received. Two weeks later I get emails from DirecTV stating that, as the bill is falling due, I should make payment in full before the due date. rtepeated attempts to sort it out failed miserably. Roll on 2011 when I can run awaqy from DirecTV as fast as I can. Dish network or COX TV here I come.

• Sj
      16th of Mar, 2011

Directv was installed 2/28/11. The installer was clueless and said he has no idea how surround sound is connected. He tells me I have to use two controllers, one for turning off and on the tv and the second one for turning off and on the Directv box. At the same time I can't increase or decrease my volume on the Directv controller with out moving the toggle switch from Directv to AV2, change the volume then moving the switch back to Directv to change the channel. Three times in one day we turned off the TV and when we turned it back on there was no audio. We had to reboot the system to get the audio back. Everytime I called all I was told was "I am sorry" then either transfered to someone else or disconnected. Finally I got the name of the President, Michael White (303) 712-4600 located at POB 6550 Greenwood Village, CO 80155 (must be cramped in that POB). I didn't get to talk to Mr. White (of course) but did speak to Mike ID#U143. He was "very sorry" but would not let me out of our contract and for me to receive the services I requested in the first place I would need to pay an additional $200 for the two HD DVRs that I would need for the whole house package. I refused!!! He kept reminding me that these are discounted (origional $199 now $99) WELL THANK YOU but NO WAY!!!
    There is so much more that is wrong with the service.
    I am exausted and all my anger got me no where. I am stuck with crappy service and "I am sorry" mode til my contract is up.

18th of Mar, 2011

i feel your pain, i switch to directv to save a few bucks, i almost committed suicide because the equipment is so bad and the software is 1980's. i will probably take a hit on my credit and switch back to dish, directv is just bad.

• Wi
      28th of Mar, 2011

I just got rid of Direct tv because when I signed up at Sams Club, It was supposed to be a bundle with TV internet & phone. Never happened. One TV wouldn't work for 3 weeks & I was told to go out in the snow with my Oxygen cannister to check the cables. Then to push reset buttons, unplug the receiver. And on and on. I was paying a service charge & I was doing the service. They finally fixed that problem with a new cable that the first installer should have done. Then every time it rained my TVs would all go off. Then quickly they raised the bill. I wrote emails & called & was told to check the satellite dish. It is on the roof. I was told four months later to call AT&T to get the bundle that Sams club/Direct Tv was selling. I called & AT&T sold me on AT&T U-Verse. Installed & works every time it rains or the wind blows. Direct TV sent me a bill for $410 for early cancellation. I paid to protect my credit, But was very unhappy with Direct Tv & would not recommend it to anyone. I did see a Direct TV salesperson at Sams club later & told her the problems I had with it. She says, I should have called Direct Tv. I told how many times I called & wrote to them. I told her that when I wanted to watch TV I wanted to watch TV. Not have to call some foreigner that I have to have them repeat every thing they say. It apparently doesn't make any difference whether they keep you as a customer. Dave Davis

• Fa
      14th of Oct, 2011

To Whom it may concern:
    On October 13th 2011 I had, had enough of my picture constantly going out due to the rain. I had just finished trying to watch a show I had recorded from the night before only to find that over 20 minutes of the show didn’t record due to the rain the night before. The 5 days before this it had been raining quite a bit and during that time I had no picture regularly, there were periods where my picture was out for 2-4 hours at a time. Living in Florida during the summer it rains a lot, and I had the same thing throughout the summer. UFC pay per views that I spent $50 dollars a piece on with a house full of friends ready to watch the fights only to have the picture go out for half of them including the final two rounds of a championship fight. Needless to say after one of my favorite shows not recording I was at the end of my rope. I called in to cancel my service, I had had it. I called the 1-800-DIRECTV phone number and after telling the automated system I was calling to cancel I was put through to Oscar in the retention department. I told Oscar my problems and frustrations and he began offering me things to try to keep my business. I kept telling him I wasn’t interested and that what he was offering me just wasn’t enough to deal with not having a picture half of the time. First he offered me a $50 credit off my bill for the month, I said no, then he offered me Showtime free for 12 months on top of the $50 credit, I said no. The next thing he offered was an additional $10 off my bill per month for 12 months on top of the other things, still I said no. His next offer was to add the NFL Sunday Ticket for free to my account on top of the other offers, to this I decided that may be worth staying for so I told him ok, but that I wanted a technician to come out and check my dish. We set up a date and time for the technician to come out, Oscar gave me a confirmation number and another phone number of 1-888-355-7530. After putting me on hold for a couple minutes we were done and I was happy.
    About 6 hours later when I got home I decided to check out what was on Showtime only to find that I wasn’t getting the channels. So I once again called Direc tv. This time I got Melinda on the phone employee id # 100422109. Melinda pulled up my account and told me that there were no notes on my account, that nothing had been done, and that the system showed that I hadn’t called in since February. I told her about the entire conversation earlier with Oscar, and all the things that I had been promised all of which I had written down. She put me on hold for several minutes and came back only to tell me that all of the things that were promised to me to keep my business could not be honored and that the only thing she could do was give me Showtime free for 3 months. I was furious. Here I’ve been a loyal customer with Direc Tv for years, stayed with Direct Tv even after years of frustration of my picture going out, only to be told that everything that was promised to me I could not get. I spent close to a half hour of my day on the phone with Oscar for nothing, and I spent over a half hour on the phone with Melinda dealing with this. I asked her about the fact that the system told me the conversations were being recorded and that I wanted the conversation to be pulled up. Her response was that’s for training and that’s not possible. Then she told me the only other thing she could do was offer me the NFL Sunday Ticket at HALF PRICE! I told her absolutely not, that Direct Tv was not getting another dime out of me, I should be getting money from them for the horrible service and frustration I’ve had to go through. Melinda’s attitude was one that I really couldn’t believe, it was one of just not caring at all, like she didn’t care if I stayed with Direc Tv or not, like my business was nothing to the company. I told Melinda that I wasn’t even going to bother trying to talk to a supervisor and that I’d be calling Comcast and once I had a date scheduled for the cable to be hooked up Id call back and cancel service with Direc Tv, and she very easily let me off the phone.
    I want you-Direc Tv to know that I intend on complaining to every single agency, website and forum that I can possibly find. I’m going to let everyone know exactly what kind of “service” you provide and the dirty tactics you employ to try and keep customers. I also plan on letting all of my customers my company deals with about your company. You see in owning a, lets just say technology based company my employees see a lot of customers every day, often times customers will ask us whats the best computer we recommend or tv and very often we are asked about cable and satellite providers and before we would always recommend Directv, you can bet that will never happen again. This issue with me ultimately will cost your company tens of thousands of dollars if not more, youre not just losing one customer. To be promised something only to be told you can’t have it is ridiculous. Your reliability percentages are lies, fabricated to earn you business from your competitors. You can still do the right thing, but by my experience with your company to this point, I’m sure I’ll never hear a thing from you. Maybe I’ll be proved wrong.
    Shane Horton

22nd of Feb, 2012

I have been a direct tv customer for over ten years and I got my bill today and my package went up called customer service and spoke to rep and supervisor named Nicole and was told due to price increase without any notification is why my bill went up!!! This is just wrong!!! Is this how they reward their long term customers? This is just bad business!! Looks like I am getting the word out not to trust direct tv!

• Fe
      4th of Apr, 2012

I have been a customer for 10+ years. As of 2012 I have had nothing but problems with Directv's (lack of) customer service and technical support. You call and you are on the phone for 1+ hour being bounced around, call disconnected, to call back and bounce around again. No notations are put on the account about the calls and concerns. No one owns up to the company's mistakes and poor service. You complain via email, writing to corporate, and even verbal while calling customer service. All fall on deaf ears and blind eyes. I am tired of being on their hamster wheel along with all the other dissatisfied customers. Put more training and effort into your customer service, communications, and fulfill the obligations and responsibilities us as customers pay for.

• 0 Votes

I'd DUMP this company -- actually we are getting ready to dump Directv. I've had enough of their BS!!

• Je
      29th of Jun, 2012

bad service

• Fr
      29th of Aug, 2012

I had Direct TV a while back, and was considering re-contracting with them. I received a phone call offering their service; I talked to the guy and everything. I told him I would consider it and talk to my wife about the change and the guy seemed to be ok he said “alright thanks, have a nice day” and just before he hung up he called me a dog. I was shocked by his use of vocabulary never in all my years of talking to companies have I ever been called or treated in such way. I thought to myself, whether im the 1st or last person to be called this I will find away to alert people, so that they don’t end up, being mistreated like me. If I had to rate them from 1- 10 I would give them a 1 because of the poor service. I am trying now to call the company and find out who called me that to speak to them personally; I do hope these calls are recorded so I have evidence of my mistreatment.
    - Fredy Contreras

• Co
      17th of Mar, 2013

I signed up online and never selected any "Protection Plan", which is $5.99/month to basically save you $49 if they need to come and repair their own equipment. I received a confirmation from them, which didn't have any "Protection Plan" on it. I reviewed the first bill, which didn't have any "Protection Plan". However, now 5 months later, I noticed that they had started charging me for this optional service that I never requested in the second month.

Charging you for worthless and unwanted features like this is a pretty obvious scam, one that I know old telephone companies used to do as well. I called and requested not only canceling the plan but a credit all the way back to the beginning. "Karen" said she'd have to research it, and later that she could only credit it for 3 months. I objected and finally got them to credit me for all 5 months, but she gave me some lecture about "taking advantage of the service" and how I should have checked my bills! The nerve of them to fraudulently charge me for an optional feature that I never requested - and that they hid from me on the confirmation and on the first month's bill - and then lecture me about "taking advantage" of them!

I suspect this fraud is happening to others and could be grounds for a class action lawsuit. If you find this charge on your bill and you didn't ask for it, stay on the phone for as long as it takes to get a full refund for every penny you've ever paid, including tax. If they refuse, start a chargeback with your credit card, as it's obvious fraud on their part.