Direct TV / directv billing fraud

1 PO Box 54000United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-531-5000

I had been with direct tv for several years (About 7 or 8 yrs) and as they stated I always bought my equipment from then. About a year ago I "bought" an hd dvr for about 300.00. When I noticed I was getting charged a lease fee of 4.99 mo. I thought "oh this is another mistake", as in the past when they were charging me when they shouldn't because I had purchased not leased my equipment. When I called in to rectify the situation I was told no I did not buy this piece of equipment for $300.00 I leased!!! I said who in their right mind would pay to lease something for 300.00 + 4.99 a month. I told the rep to look and see that I always purchase. I was told at that time that they no longer sell equipment they only lease. I asked her to show me where I signed saying I leased this equipment. She told me it was on the paperwork I signed when it was installed (By a company, who by the way took my old receiver that I owned and they tired to charge me for this receiver also). I told her it said nothing on the paperwork about leasing. Fast forward several months and I decided to cancel my service since the hd dvr never worked most of the time. When I went to cancel they charged me over 100.00 for the rest of the lease they say I signed up for at 4.99 or 5.99 a mo. (It changes at random) they also told me I had to return the hd dvr. When I reminded them that I bought it and to show me where I signed the rep. They told me there was a sticker on the box!!! Since when does a sticker on the box constitute a binding contract???!!!
I told them I would not return until they proved to me that I signed something stating I leased a piece of equipment for 300.00 (Equipment I see on ad for free all the time).
Being that they are direct tv and can do anything they want and ruin my credit they now demanded that I now pay over $500.00 for this hd dvr!!! Or they would report me to credit agencies. I decided to go ahead and return while I figure out how to fight them. Now that I have returned the equipment I have now gotten another bill for tax!!! For the amount of $38.78!!! This is absolute thievery and fraud!!

If you could be of assistance or point me in the correct direction I would greatly appreciated it. It is time we stop this corporate fraud the thievery in this country!!

Rebecca jones

Comments

• Be
      4th of Nov, 2008

I had been with Direct TV for several years (about 7 or 8 yrs) and as they stated I always bought my equipment from then. About a year ago I "bought" an HD DVR for about 300.00. When I noticed I was getting charged a lease fee of 4.99 mo. I thought "oh this is another mistake", as in the past when they were charging me when they shouldn't because I had purchased not Leased my equipment. When I called in to rectify the situation I was told no I did not buy this piece of equipment for $300.00 I leased!!! I said who in their right mind would pay to lease something for 300.00 + 4.99 a month. I told the rep to look and see that I always purchase. I was told at that time that they no longer sell equipment they only lease. I asked her to show me where I signed saying I leased this equipment. She told me it was on the paperwork I signed when it was installed (by a company, who by the way took my old receiver that I OWNED and they tired to charge me for this receiver also). I told her it said nothing on the paperwork about leasing. Fast forward several months and I decided to cancel my service since the HD DVR never worked most of the time. When I went to cancel they charged me over 100.00 for the rest of the lease they say I signed up for at 4.99 or 5.99 a mo. (it changes at random) they also told me I had to return the HD DVR. When I reminded them that I bought it and to show me where I signed the rep. they told me there was a sticker on the box!!! Since when does a sticker on the box constitute a binding contract????!!!
    I told them I would not return until they proved to me that I signed something stating I leased a piece of equipment for 300.00 (equipment I see on ad for free all the time).
    Being that they are Direct TV and can do anything they want and ruin my credit they now demanded that I now pay over $500.00 for this HD DVR!!! or they would report me to credit agencies. I decided to go ahead and return while I figure out how to fight them. Now that I have returned the equipment I have now gotten another bill for TAX!!! For the amount of $38.78!!! This is absolute thievery and fraud!!

Rebecca Jones

• My
      11th of Feb, 2009

My advice is to get a lawyer. They sent us one bill for services we never received (we did not even establish service with them - because they couldn't! No signal) and after one month reported us to a credit collection agency. Now I have them paying...I sent letters to everyone I could - better business bureaus, my state attorney's general, and well, if it's not resolved, I have a lawyer on standby. If they thought they could buly us with a note from a collection agency, well, they just encountered someone who won't back down and be intimitated by coorporate fraud. We're aiming for a class action lawsuit. Get this poor excuse of a company out of business, and get honest folk some refunds...

• Se
      1st of Mar, 2009

I think DirectTV is like most Customer Service Representative call centers represent. If you have your paperwork, or even if you don't...I am sure your financial instution can help you retrieve a copy of where you paid DirectTV for the equipment. But, aside from that, find the address to their corporate office, and send your complaint by Certified Mail to the President/ CEO of the Company. Regardless of your prior efforts, when you send Certified Mail when the Vendor is stating their is some type of Service Agreement, you will have documentation to back it up. In your letter, try to remember dates, times, and names of the people you spoke with...include those in your letter. You know what they say...S*&@ rolls downhill, and this has always gotten a response for me. Be very specific in your letter about what you want: (1) a copy of any document that you have signed stating you agreed to a lease (2) any document that you agreed to pay a penalty for termination, etc.

Hope this helps!