Direct TV / billing for nfl package

United States Review updated:

To whom it may concern,
I am very upset with directv. We have had directv for years and have not ever had any problems. We have always paid our bills without fail. This past september 2008, my husband called directv to merely ask about the different programs and promotions that they were advertising. He also asked when we would be receiving the our local channels on hd, since they are always advertising them in hd. We received our october bill and noticed that they had charged us for the nfl package charging us $300 for the package. My husband called to complain about the charge. The respresentative told him that there was nothing she could do, that the season had already started and they simply had to wait until the season was over before they could cancel the package. Yes, $300 later. The representative after talking to my husband for about 20 min. Or so told him that he was sorry and that it was a directv mistake but that nothing in fact could be done. He then offered a super fan package to my husband as a settlement for their mistake. Today, I called to again complain about the issue and talked all the way up the chain of command or so I thought. Each person told me the same thing. The last supervisor that came on told me that since my husband had agreed to a settlement that was the final say and that nothing could be done. I told him that my husband did not ask about the package that he just asked about the hd channels. I told him it was a directv mistake and not ours. He said that there was nothing he could do and that that was the final word. Directv is billing us $300 for something we did not ask for. We have been directv customers for a very long time and have always paid our bills. This time I really do have a problem because it was the mistake directv. Their representative made the mistake, therefore directv should correct their mistake and take off the nfl package. Is this a practice of directv? Is this how directv is making their money now by being dishonest and deceitful.
Imelda

Comments

Im
  28th of Oct, 2008
To whom it may concern,
I am very upset with DirecTV. We have had DirecTV for years and have not ever had any problems. We have always paid our bills without fail. This past September 2008, my husband called DirecTV to merely ask about the different programs and promotions that they were advertising. He also asked when we would be receiving the our local channels on HD, since they are always advertising them in HD. We received our October bill and noticed that they had charged us for the NFL Package charging us $300 for the package. My husband called to complain about the charge. The respresentative told him that there was nothing she could do, that the season had already started and they simply had to wait until the season was over before they could cancel the package. Yes, $300 later. The representative after talking to my husband for about 20 min. or so told him that he was sorry and that it was a DirecTV mistake but that nothing in fact could be done. He then offered a Super Fan package to my husband as a settlement for their mistake. Today, I called to again complain about the issue and talked all the way up the chain of command or so I thought. Each person told me the same thing. The last supervisor that came on told me that since my husband had agreed to a settlement that was the final say and that nothing could be done. I told him that my husband did NOT ask about the package that he just asked about the HD channels. I told him it was a DirecTV mistake and not ours. He said that there was nothing he could do and that that was the final word. DirecTV is billing us $300 for something we did not ask for. We have been DirecTV customers for a VERY long time and have always paid our bills. This time I really do have a problem because it was the mistake DirecTV. Their representative made the mistake, therefore DirecTV should correct their mistake and take off the NFL Package. Is this a practice of DirecTV? Is this how DirecTV is making their money now by being DISHONEST and DECEITFUL.
Imelda
Ba
  29th of Oct, 2008
Simple solution...take them to small claims court. You are entitled to triple damages.
Do
  14th of Aug, 2009
We've been DTV customers for years, and we never get a break on our bill. New customers can save as much as $778.00, and get free HBO & Showtime - this really doesn't seem fair to me. Especially since we are senior citizens and are on a fixed income.
Ch
  5th of Jan, 2010
direct tv is a crooked company-plain and simple!!! they should be put out of business!!!
An
  6th of Jan, 2010
Direct TV has done and is doing the exact same thing to me. We NEVER ordered or used the NFL package and they refuse to remove it and continue to bill me for it. How can this be legal? An awful company that takes advantage of people in rural areas that have few options for television service.
Ta
  18th of Jan, 2010
I hate this company!!! I have had similar issues, and they seem not to care. Very questionable practices. They transfer you several times and avoid your solution! I strongly urge you to stay away from this company!!! I can not believe they are permitted to conduct service like they do...Crazy. I considered getting a lawyer, as they were telling me $400 to cancel! Hate em!!
Ke
  17th of Jun, 2010
Please stand up together we can make a right thing
We will open a campaign to force Direct TV to provide their services to consumers rightful and Direct T V should obey the fed or/and state regulation that should protect consumers. Direct TV, They are running a big scam right now by giving out misleading information and flyers all over Medias. By many and many scams from Direct TV’ false advertisement, wrong billing, poor and incompetent customer service, Unauthorized over charge, cancelation fee and 24 hours only policy for cancelation, Harassing calls, scam selling, property and roof damage and more to notice. It is ridiculous for consumers that are allowed only 24 hours to cancel the services from the first day installation if consumers are not satisfied.
We need stand up together to ask our Congress representatives, our senators, our local force law force, our State General Attorney to sent a clear and strong message to Direct TV. We want State and Federal open investigation on all over Direct TV misleading services to our consumers for many years. We should not allow this happen in our society today.
We will collect all the problems you have, are facing with Direct TV and we will sent letters to all official agencies and Congress. Please have your name and address if applicable.
Best Regards
Kent Phh
408-930-1040
Student6991@yahoo.com
Ja
  30th of Jun, 2010
We signed up for a AT&T bundle for phone internet and TV ( the TV was supplied by Direct TV ) for $99 month. But AT&T could not provided the internet as promised. But that was after Direct TV came out and installed. So with no bundle the Direct TV alone cost more, than the total. With the added cost of independent internet ( broad band ) and the phone. We kept the Direct TV even though it was not our pick. Then Direct TV called and asked if we would like to try the movie channels for free for a few months and if we did not like them we could cancel and go back to our old plan when the free period was over. So at the end of the free trial we called to cancel and was told: That by take the free trail we could not go back but had to pay for some NFL package. We are not sports fans and did not care about this package. I was never informed about this NFL package and when I told Direct TV, they said it was not them but a contracted sales group that did not inform me ... so on and so on. I told them I did not want to deal with a company that does bait and switch and is deceptive. And I canceled my service. They say I owe them $140 in termination fees. I do not think I should pay. Who can you go to?
Ri
  19th of Jul, 2010
I am so sorry to read about your dealings with Direct TV. It's pretty clear to me this entire industry is very poorly regulated. They have the upper hand on this matter since have the deeper pockets and expect as each consumer is challenged, they will have to bow to the might of the Direct TV kingdom.

I sumbitted a grievance about Direct TV as well and will take it to arbitration to be heard. I was told by a Direct TV employee about their collection agency and intend to pay my bill until I am in front of an arbitrator, who might...and I do mean might...choose to enforce my rights as a consumer. I shall see.
Dt
  11th of Sep, 2010
Well it seems on your entry emelda you faild to inform that you had the ticket the year before. Whitch as far as I know every agent at dtv is supposed to give you info that the service auto rianstates the following yr. So I would have to say to you that ignorance is not an excuse and you should what you are buying. :-)
Ab
  23rd of Sep, 2010
I now have the same problem. They have billed me for NHL which I did not order or want. After calling 3 times they continue to bill me and this last time a arrogant young man said he did not like my attitude so he would not cancel. Thanks to someone who posted the email address of the CEO, I have sent him a email in regards to this matter. If I do not receive a reply quickly I will file a complain with the Attorney Generals office in my state and then contact my Congressman in regards to the manner in which the way this company operates.
Na
  29th of Oct, 2010
A simlar thing happened to me. I got NFL sunday ticket as part of a move in promotion. I had suspended my account in July to see if I could live with out direct tv. I could so I called to cancel and they gave me a 150 dollar credit to stay so I did. My direct tv came on in October. My first bill had a $49.99 auto renewal that I had no idea about. I called to say I did not watch it and did not want it. I was told It was to late the season started. I did not even know that I had the channels because they are only on sunday. They charge 300 to watch 6 sundays worth of NFL, I don't think so. I will cancel my account since I am over my three years. If you are not past your 2 years and are getting billed try suspending your account for the time to avoid paying for it.
Nathan
Pa
  1st of Dec, 2010
I Agree!!! It's a scam set up and executed by Direct TV! The fact that they say they can't do anything about it is BS. I am in the process of filing a complaint with our states attorney generals office.
Yv
  7th of Feb, 2011
It is a scam. I am going thru the same thing for the 2010/2011 season.
They totally misrepresented themselves.
Cc
  3rd of Jun, 2016

Direct TV - Mistakes

I used Direct TV for a couple of years, always paid my bills on time. In addition to the DVR and received I got from Direct TV, I bought a DVR from Costco myself. After the contract ends, I sent the DVR and receiver to Direct TV, excpet the one I bought. Direct TV has been asking me for the DVR since. I sent Direct TV sales receipt with no luck.

I finally called Costco and Costco told me to "return" the DVR to Costco (after tw years). Costco refunded me in full- not a cent less. I sent the refund receipt to Direct TV thinking that resolved the issue.

What did the Direct TV do? Direct TV sent me to collection. I have talked to Direct TV more than 10 times and could not get anywhere.

Direct TV has wasted enough of my time and did not really try to resolve the issue. I will spent more effort online to tell the bad behavior of a company than waste time with the company.

DirecTV Logo DirecTV