Direct TV / commitment contract & cancellation of service

I have a problem with direct tv. I was a customer for 8 years and then my dvr wasn't working right. I wanted new equipment. Direct tv told me that I would have to sign a 2 year commitment contract to get new equipment. I told them no thanks. The very next day a dvr arrived on my door step via fed ex. I called them to make sure that I would not be agreeing to a 2 year commitment if I used the dvr. They said no problem, no commitment!
I continued to have problems with the new equipment and called several time. I was never informed that I was under a new commitment agreement and they did not offer to do anything to fix my problems, so I went with another company. After installation of new equipment from a new company. I called direct tv to cancel. Now they tell me that I am under a commitment agreement and will have to pay extra to cancel. What should I do next? I never agreed to the commitment.

Comments

• Sc
      28th of Sep, 2008

I SIGNED A NEW CONTRACT WITH DIRECT TV AT A PRICE BETTER THAN DISH, WITH LESS CHANNELS, BUT WITH SUPPOSEDLY BETTER RECEPTION. 3 MONTHS LATER THEY INCREASED PRICE TO 69.98 PER MNTH- AND THEY SAID THEY WERE ALLOWED TO. I DISPUTED WITH MNGMT ABOUT ETHICS AND BREACH OF CONTRACT. THEY DIDNT BUDGE. RECEPTION WORSE NOW- VERY POOR IN RAINY DAYS. NOW I'M MOVING- THEY WANT TO CHGE 50.00 FOR REINSTALL-/TRANSFER. EVEN WITH MAINT PCKGE. THIS COMPANY IS LIKE DEALING WITH THIEVES- CROOKED AND STAB YOU AFTER THEY ROB YOU. I'M GOING TO SCREW THEM FIRST.