Direct Readers Guild / Terrible company

A month ago my husband got a phone call from this company at his work stating that he was selected to participate in a special magazine offer. Well he was never aware about any verbal contract and had never been told that he would have to pay for the magazines during a period of 5 years!!. As far as I know any kind of agreement should have at least a confirmation number or at least you would get a letter stating about what you are about to get or pay or what kind of service you will receive, but this company never sent anything to him and was never clear about their "GOOD DEAL". After a month he got a payment coupon book with some envelopes, that is how my husband find out about how many years he would be paying for those magazines, therefore he decided to call and cancel that subscription and all he got as an answer was that there was no way to cancel that subscription unless he was dying or had cancer. So I wonder what kind of company is this? I think somebody should stop this companies from doing this. I dont understand why they are unable to cancel a subscription? that just does not make sense to me at all. I just want to let people know about this and hopefully somebody stop them from doing this. It's really stressful to get in a situation like this and also frustrating.

Ch

Comments

• Il
      13th of Aug, 2009

My husband and I are going through the same thing. I don't understand it either. Why don't these people have a number or something. I have searched and searched for a way to get ahold of them and have failed. Then again, I found it. Just incase someone needs the number for the direct readers guild here it is. 1-847-4264622 and its in Illinois. Anyway Some how, for some reason they have our bank info so every month we are charged. Do you know if it harms credit if not paid, cause Im sick and tired of paying this dang thing. Ohh whats crazy is that I figured out that they make $400 a year off us. Thats alot of money I am giving to someone for no reason. I agree it is frusterating. I am calling the bank first thing tomorrow and putting a block on this scam so they can't bill our account anymore. Ive had it.

22nd of Aug, 2009

...the same thing happened to me! I'm paying out $300 a month, I, too called to cancel and they said there is no way...i've recently been cut on my hours and they take it straight out of my bank account...if we didn't pay can they turn you over to the collection agency??

22nd of Aug, 2009

i meant $300 a year...btw i thought i was the only one dealing with this...wow

• Ed
      2nd of Sep, 2009

Someone has contacted ABC news regarding this. Hope something happens. My daughter has been caught up in this and I told her to not pay. Hope that was the right thing to do. I also contacted the NY Attorney General - they are sending me a complaint form to fill out. Everyone should do the same to get these guys shut down.

• Ho
      18th of Jan, 2012

i have just started to get the calls from them, like once a year for about $300 to $400 this is bull ###! i refused to pay and if they try again im getting a attorney involved.