Direct General / claims

1 Cartersville, GU, United States Review updated:

I was a Direct General customer for a year. I paid on time every time. I came out of the grocery store to find a huge dent on the side of my car by the gas tank door. I called and asked if it was covered under uninsured motorist. They informed me my ininsured motorist coverage was dropped after 3 months ( I didn't ask them to.) So I said thank you and went on because the car was old and I didn't want to be rude about someone making a mistake. However, When I went to renew my policy my dues went up $150 every 6 months because they said I had made a claim. Even though I only asked someone a question. They didn't cover it? No big deal...But to charge me for someone denting my car when they didn't even pay for it. Really??

Comments

• So
      7th of Nov, 2009

DIRECT GENERAL IS THE WORST INSURANCE COMPANY TO HAVE, MY TRUCK WAS IN A ACCIDENT, I HAD TO WAIT 3 DAYS TO TALK TO AN ADJUSTER AND I HAD TO CALLED THEM, THEIR ATTITUDE IS NASTY, THEIR WANT RETURN YOUR PHONE CALLS, I LIVE IN SOUTH CAROLINA THE CLOSEST ADJUSTER IS IN FLORIDA, MY TRUCK STAY IN STORAGE FOR TEN DAYS I HAD TO PAY FOR THAT, I NEVER GOT MY TRUCK FIX THROUGH THEM, I PAID FOR IT MYSELF. THEY ARE A BACKYARD INSURANCE COMPANY AND I RECOMMEND ANYBODY TO THINK TWICE BEFORE USING THIS COMPANY.

• Tu
      7th of Jan, 2011

My Car was stolen we signed over power of attorney to the adjuster. on the 33rd day of the car missing it was found and they are trying to make us pay the deductable to get the car fixed and I have had the worst time with the adjuster I was first given if I hadnt have done there job I wouldnt be where I am in the situation now, they dont want to provide the the best customer care for there customers.

• Th
      28th of Mar, 2011

The collision occurred 27 November of last year.

Direct General at first refused to accept responsibility even when their insured was shown to be clearly at fault.

DG ... refused to provide a rental car ... My Cherokee was rendered illegal and unsafe to drive due to the collision.

Only the bumper and one fender was damaged ... yet ... DG wanted my Cherokee TOTALED ... and wanted to send a wrecker TO MY HOME to pull to a junk yard. I would have been responsible for storage SO I refused.

FOUR MONTHS later still no payment ... still they refuse to compensate for transportation.

They will not pay to have my vehicle repaired and used a non-existent
    Cherokee to validate a woefully inadequate ACV for my vehicle.

Other items were damaged in the collision ... they simply but totally ignore my questions about that.

• Ne
      25th of May, 2011

I have hail damage to my truck and they sent out someone to look at it and he told me he didn't see any damage from hail that the damage was from other. I know they are trying to get out of paying for my truck so here comes the class action law suit

• Ar
      22nd of Jul, 2018

Attn: For all the ones that has been wronged via Direct General. Good news; you may have up to five, yes 5 years to get your claims heard.
    1st. Contact your local city small claims office, to file a small claims suit to get the ball rolling.
    2nd. Let them know, we the people are no longer taking their crap. All insurance companies: Delay, Denie and Defend, it’s their golden rule. Bottom line until we the people stand up and speak up, hold them accountable, Direct General will continue to do what they do best. Bleed us out of our money that lawfully ours on our claims.
    3. Once you file the simple start forward small claims complaint, pay the small fees, serve it upon them. Good thing is, the major big shot lawyers that defend them are not allowed in small claims court. That's right, it’s you against them and a fair Judge that is there to listen to what you have to say.
    4. Make sure the court clerk’s office have your correct contact information:
    cell number, home or business address. Once you file your claim in small claims court, make sure you ask for a court date. The courts normally will assign you one once the case is assigned to a judge. But you can also ask for one. Most times; the clerks can tell you when your court date is and whom the judge is assigned to hear your matter.
    The cost to file a small claims court action is very small considering your amounts your owed and may be awarded.
    Be sure to not miss your court date, and if Direct General fails to show, simple as for a DEFAULT JUDGEMENT.YOU WIN.