Direct Expressfraud ivr money transfer unauthorized

8/03/2017 my social security benefits were put into my account, 23 mins later I had all of my social security transferred out of my account my a IVR, I immediately called them on the phone and my pin was not working I had to take the time to renter a new pin, finally got someone on the phone, asked them to stop the transfer, since I didn't authorize it, she said she didn't like my tone with her and now she needed to verify who I was, she was rude, I told her to tansfwr me to someone who could help me and she hung up, I called back got level 2 got the paperwork being mailed, and a new card on the way, I've made. Police report and the officer looked direct express up on her computer and said that she advised I Google them that there was a number of complaints about money missing that's unresolved. I am 3500 miles away visiting my parents with dementia, I keep calling direct express, to be told that the money was probably stolen by my parents, or someone I knew with my info. I do not give my card to anybody, I don't give me pin out, or have it written down anyplace.See the Top 10 Worst Companies in San Antonio, TX I have contacted Comerica bank who says they only issue the cards to direct express but he would transfer me to direct express to be hung up on again. I have called direct express 42 times today to be hung up on or told that they have alot of callers.
I have been with Direct Express for 10yrs and they have always had my money on time. I read so many post no body gets a provisional credit, or gets refunded even though the are fdi insured. I was on hold yesterday with social security for an hour and 20 mins to have social security only tell me they deposited the money, to take it up with Direct Express about my funds, there is no such place a IVR money transfer. It's done in house meaning someone from direct express to top it off they even charged me the 1.50 transfer fee. Anybody that has any info that can help me, I did get a merchant ID but the police couldn't even seem to find the merchant. I am 3500 miles away from home. As of Sunday I will no longer have a motel room, I have borrowed money to eat, I have no car, I was waiting for this money to make a reservation plane ticket home. I am in Riverside county, CA and I live in Florida!! Beware everyone I will be changing debit cards if this isn't resolved by Sunday.

So
Aug 04, 2017

Comments

• He
      Aug 21, 2017

I am having the same issue. I live in FL and my money has been stolen. They are sending me a form to fill out too. What are we going to do????? Can somebody help us????

• Yv
      May 01, 2018

@Helpfordirectexpress So this morning I went to use my card and mysteriously my PIN number had been changed and $379 is missing I am on a budget I can't pay my bills my electricity is going to be cut off tomorrow because these Direct Express people it's just doing whatever they want somebody please help me I need my money I have a newborn here and I'm not going to have no electricity because they let somebody I notified them before the money even got missing because someone had changed my PIN number which I believe is in house and I don't care what nobody say who are we supposed to go to to get our money back

• Vi
      Jun 14, 2018

@Yvette Ross Hi My Name is Vicki and I to just had all my Social Security Stolen from my account yesterday! Can you give me a call here in California I would love to help you! [protected]

• Mi
      Dec 08, 2018

@Helpfordirectexpress I too am having the same problem money keeps coming up missing has been for years..
    Past two months it's seems to be on the 5th and always an online company. Now it frozen and I can't get my money. Frustrated

• Ka
      Sep 15, 2017

I had the same issue with and IVR transfer on the 3rd of August 2017. I have not been able to reach anybody and have not had the money returned.

• Re
      Oct 04, 2017

Same thing happened to me today. Did any of you get your money back?

• Zb
      Oct 04, 2017

I just had $700.00 stolen from my SSI Direct Express card as well. The money came on 09/29/17 and all of it was gone on 10/3/17. I am sick. I finally got through just now at 3am Tucson time and the girl is sending me papers!!! I am writing a letter AND attaching a copy of these complaints. What is going on here??????

Oct 04, 2017

omg! This is unreal! Same exact siruation wirh the pin not working and then...BOOM... got it changed and had onl 61 dollars. I'm contacting SS. Can't get any help from DE anyway.

• Yv
      May 01, 2018

@Kelly Jo Eisenbarth Yo what is wrong with the treasury Department because I know they had many complaints like how is our money not safe be responsible for our money wants to Treasury Department put it in our account and they're just doing whatever they want I think we should go to the treasury Department

Oct 04, 2017

Sorry about my previous comment. I was upset.
    I receive Social Security Disability Benefits.Yesterday when my benefits were available, I went to an ATM to make a W/D and curiously, the pin that I'v e had for many years did'n't work. i have alerts set up with the card issuer to inform me of pin changes and I went directly home to check online for an alert. Nothing. I called the customer service number. I received a High call volume message and was disconnected. That's never happened. Called repeatedly and each time was not given an opportunity to wait for an available Representative. just click...dial tone. At this point, the panic begins to set in. I check my balance. $61 . NOW I'M ON FIRE. Check my transaction history and BOOM! There it is a $500 IVR money transfer. I'm thinking, "What the hell is an IVR money transfer?"

I opened a new window and typed in " IVR money transfer. "
    I was met with:a link to this page.
    There are some serious issues with the Direct Express Card (Comerica Bank)that the government works with to distribute Social Security payments.

People need to be warned.So I sent this comment to a local news agency.

• Ab
      Oct 06, 2017

@Kelly Jo Eisenbarth Same exact thing happened to me, my pin number was changed twice and an IVR of 700.00 was stolen from me. i can not pay rent and i am going to be evicted. NOBODY has ever seen or held my card in their hand, i do not write it down, i shred documents before i throw them away. I am at a loss as to how this was able to happen. and seeing how it is happening on a broad scale, it seems like it is from the inside, their network is not secure, or they have rogue employees. perhaps the fact that you can call and access account using only social security number is a weakness they need to remove from the options. that is the only difference between this card, and any other card i have used in the past. all the information that is required to access my account only exists in one place, and that is inside their servers. my documents are fort knox in a safe and nobody has access but me. so this is their fault and they need to make it right before us customers unite in a lawsuit...

• Ro
      Nov 01, 2017

This just happened to my daughter... pin number wouldn't work... $750 gone on unauthorized IVR transfer. WTH?!

• Lo
      Dec 08, 2017

Me too, same thing. I received my statement today, i could hardly wait for my statement . and sure enuf there is IVR transfer. I look up what that means and it brought me here. I need the money. I was a little hungry last month. And my bills are getting behind ..mine was a 400.00 transfer

• Pa
      May 01, 2018

Same thing happened to me today they took a 1000 Off my card now I have to wait for papers did anyone get their money back

• Di
      May 07, 2018

May 3rd, Nine minutes after my money was dropped into my account it was gone. $1500.00 just disappeared through a IVR money transfer. This is the money I live on every month. I knew something was not right when I attempted to W/D money from an ATM to cover my co-pay for a Doctors appointment I was about to go to. It told me my PIN was wrong. I attempted W/Ds at other ATMs in the area only to be told my PIN was incorrect. I went to the appointment and of course I have no cash, I ask the receptionist to run the co-pay charge against my card. It won't run at all. No "insufficient funds" error message it just won't run through. She tried 3 times only to have it do the same thing. I am now concerned. I finish the appointment and proceed to the Pharmacy. I can't pay for my meds because the cashier runs up against the same issue. I am trying not to panic, maybe they are late with the deposit. I can't remember if I received the automated call letting me know when the auto deposit will take place. Having been thoroughly humiliated 3 times (because of course there were people in line at the ATMs) I proceed to my vehicle where I can check my account balance in peace. I find that my account is locked! Okay not a big thing. This has happened before. I call Direct Express Customer Service. I run through the Automated menu to unlock and reset my PIN. I reset and unlock the account. I check the balance. I have $44.00 I my account. I go to account history and see that an IVR money transfer has taken place. The amount is odd in that it's a whole number not $1499.99, not $1543.99 but $1500 straight whole number. I have no idea what an IVR money transfer is. I have tried on multiple occasions when I was first issued the card to transfer money into my regular bank account. It never worked. Even after calling the Customer Service phone number and getting ahold of an actual human being after 90 minutes, only to be told "that's odd". Mind you we tried multiple account types. Regular Bank savings account. Credit Union Checking accounts. Credit Union savings/checking account combo's. I even tried a Mutual Fund Checking account. none of them worked. Which is why I had to default to this Direct Express account. Having been through this somewhat before with a charge from an unscrupulous seller on Amazon, I had not hit Panic Mode yet. I knew that I was in for a couple of days playing phone tag through the Customer Service phone tag system. After numerous attempts after 4 days without sleep. I got ahold of a Human Being at least it sounded Human. I was told I sent the money to myself. I was told that I gave my card to a spouse or other family member and they sent the money to me. I was told that an IVR transfer requires the card number, the SSN of the card holder, The address of the cardholder. The routing number of both the Coamerica Bank as well as the Routing Number of the receiving Account. I was told that above all else it used the PIN associated with the card. I told the Human in the other end of the Line, that I didn't authorize a withdrawal of the MONEY I LIVE ON. That it also was done without my consent. I was told emphatically that I did it, and not to expect a refund or return of funds or whatever you want to call it. I was told that I would'nt be connected to the Fraud Dept. because I didn't qualify as a fraud and wouldn't be allowed to dispute the transaction. I admit that I became heated. This is after hours of calling and being hung up on. Hours of being told the call volume was high and to call back. I was begging at this point..."please transfer me to the Fraud Dept. so I can lodge a dispute on the transaction...please" He (I assume "He" because the voice was baritone) blessed me and said he would connect me to the Fraud Dept. I don't know if "He" tried to or not because it never happened. However, because he had left the "headset" or "handset" on. I was "gifted" to a conversation "He" was saving with someone in the same room. I listened to "Him" say that "there was another [censored]ing disabled actor wanting his money" also "I am [censored]ing tired of these [censored]ing [censored] lowlifes demanding [censored] they have no right to" there was more but I was so angry, I shouted on the phone that "hey you are supposed to connect me" at which point "He" realized I was still on the line...annnnd promptly hung up on me. I went through another 3 days without sleep trying desperately to get ahold of someone. I also called the SSA. They told me "it was out of their hands" they made the Deposit. in the wee hours of day four I got ahold of someone. I swear to God they must have blocked my number because the calls started not to go through. They didn't even reach the Customer Service automated system. It just hung up. I decided to use the VPN on my phone when the call actually went through. I was calm because I was low energy after 4 days and less then 6 hours asleep across those days. The "woman" took my information, allowed me to ask questions. Explained what would happen from there on out. Which is what I wanted. I learned that you don't actually need to be connected to the Fraud Dept. to lodge a Dispute on a transaction. The Customer Service Rep. you are speaking to can do it from their console. I found that out after explaining that I had got to this point before only to have been either hung up on or having the transfer go wrong and then being hung up on. I had gone beyond panic and entered into an uneasy acceptance that my phone would be turned off this month. My electric would probably be cut off for non-payment, My water was also going to be shut off at some point. I was now going to be behind on a car payment, and the "cheaper" monthly car insurance I went with because there was no way to buy that insurance as a lump sum. I wouldn't be making my monthly trip to another county to see my ortho and my pcp because there would be no money for the cheaper plane tickets I normally booked a month out. I realized that monetarily I was in a hole so deep that even if I accepted help from family it wouldn't be enough. The reconnect charges alone were large not to mention the penalties. At this point they will be sending me the paperwork for the Formal Dispute. Even if they replace everything that was taken. I will still not be able to pay the reconnect fees. I could do it if I don't eat, If I don't purchase my meds. If I miss 3-4 doctors appointments and save the co-pays, If I let the dogs I rescued not eat. If I stay home and use no gas for a couple weeks I might be able to do it. I pride myself as being frugal and thrifty. I have not purchased "new" clothes in almost a decade. I wear no jewelry. I do not wear the latest "kicks" I buy my clothes and shoes from the Goodwill and Salvation Army. Everything that needs paying gets paid. I have never missed a payment since becoming disabled a decade ago. I have paired down and live a much simpler life. Even with all that...I don't know how to dig myself out of a hole not of my making. Fini.

Jun 04, 2018

@Display Named Here Hey, the same thing happened to me, I found this while searching IVR Transfers us direct express, I hope you get it fixed. don't give up!
    Got a consumer problem? The ABC News Fixer may be able to help. Click here to submit your problem online. Letters are edited for length and clarity.
    {this is what they did for this man, }
    Dear James: Well, this sure was a fine way to start the new year. You told the ABC News Fixer that you and your payee are careful with the debit card and do not share the PIN with others, so it was a surprise when these costly phones, video game, and music purchases hit your account just after the deposit went in. Worse, you said, was the frustrating experience of not being able to reverse the fraud while it was still pending.

We got in touch with Comerica, the bank that administers the Direct Express program for the U.S. Treasury. Wayne Mielke, VP of corporate communications at Comerica, promised they'd look into it right away.

And they were able to fix this: First they canceled the compromised card, and you and your payee faxed them a formal dispute. The whole thing took a couple weeks, but they finally returned the missing money minus some fees for a replacement card and expedited delivery, resulting in a refund of $614. You told us you're now back on track with your bills.

• Vi
      Jun 14, 2018

@Display Named Here Hi my name is Vicki and I live in California yesterday all my Social Security was stolen out of my account is it possible to give me a call just wondering if you ever got your money back? [protected]

Jun 02, 2018

Me too 20 Minutes after my Disability check went thru $1000 was taken Thru IVR transfer.
    did anyone get a reference trace number, the first C.S.R. gave me a trace number and the last 4 of an acct. and last 4 routing number, which the fraud rep. said no one should have given me a number. When I requested a paper statement, the ref transfer was on it, but no name or company. I believe it was from Us direct express because they know when the money is in there, I knew something was wrong when my pin number didn't work and they said I entered it wrong. Report it to the Federal Trade Commision. I haven't gotten my money back yet. Be tenacious!
    You can get your money back .

Jun 04, 2018

• Ca
      Jun 12, 2018

Same happened to me yesterday. Tried to make a $11 purchase & wouldn't go through.

Called Direct Express, the first red flag was that the last 4 digits of the Direct Express card didn't match my PIN, so was asked to create a new one. I then proceeded to make my purchase & still wouldn't go through.

I called again after getting my most recent transactions, there was a $500 IVR Transfer to Home Federal Bank, of which after a Google search, turns out there are many banks under that name.

Now I have to wait on another card, as this one was closed when I reported & will have to fill out paperwork when it arrives. In the meantime, am going to file a police report, since that was the first thing asked after getting my information. Glad that my bills are paid for the month, except my medicine & all of the money leftover for food is gone.

Hopefully will get it back, there was a much smaller theft several years back (less than $10), it was refunded right away. Have doubts that this one will be processed as fast.

Am rapidly losing faith in Direct Express, after reading these posts, appears to be a widespread issue. Funny thing though, they blocked a $24 transaction that I made, had to call & say it was me. Seems that if they could block $24 from going through, a $500 IVR Transfer should had most certainly be a huge red flag.

I'm still in great shock over this.

• Sf
      Jul 03, 2018

Same thing for me as well. The very night of my monthly deposit, my pin failed to work, and then I discovered $2200 stolen from my account. After some time, I was able to reach US Direct Express via phone. They cancelled my card, asked me a half-dozen questions, and then told me to expect paperwork necessary to their incestigation to arrive in three-to-five days. My understanding it that, because I was fortunate enough to report the theft quickly, the must fully replace the loss with provisional funds within 10 days, and then reimburse me permanently. Time will tell if they abide by the law, but merely the fact that they insist on snailmail to for moving their investigation along is indicative of their management and executives' “commitment” to customer service..meaning they are only “committed” to lining their own pockets, and don't give a damn about their custormers.

• Je
      Aug 04, 2018

Has anyone actually received this refund. We may become homeless due to a IVR fraud on our Direct Deposit. My husband is a 100 percent service connected disabled veteran. It took all of our kids school clothes money, rent, and food money. How could this happen to an account entrusted by the government?

• Ge
      Aug 07, 2018

Samething happened to me Aug 3rd. Checked my card at 6am and 750.78 taken by IVR money transfer to Bank of America. Called Direct Express pin didn’t work had to make a new one. Then it kept saying high call volume and hung up. Finally got though to them. Said there sending me a new card and papers for fraud. Hopefully it won’t take forever for them to put money back on. What I really don’t get is I’m not the only person this is happening to so why are they even questioning anyone’s when they know there getting hacked. They need to up there security

• Di
      Aug 23, 2018

The same thing happened to me. Someone changed my address on my direct express account and got a new card expedited to a different state. They then went to an ATM and overdrew my account by withdrawing $700 in one transaction. I’ve called Direct Express numerous times, called SSA to put a hold on my information so it cannot be changed without walking in the SSA building. I filed a police report and a dispute with Direct Express and called the Chase bank where the money was withdrawn. I obviously use this money to survive so I’m [censored]ed. Direct Express is an UNSECURED company. They should be sued and shut TF down.

• Ve
      Oct 06, 2018

This happened to my husband on October 1st, 2018!! We had just ran across numerous articles, being thankful it didn't happen to us, pissed that none of us was told about the FRAUD Comerica Bank has been practicing since 2013 and decided to move his money elsewhere(should start in November). Then BAMM!! It was time to pay bills, was able to pay one bill, checked account(only by his SS number because pin# did not match, to me this is not a secure way when you don't need a card number!!) and he only had $22.?? in there and a $1, 419 IVR money transfer was made into a Bank of America account!! Took us the next morning to get a person, she called me a "third party" because I speak for my husband and threaten to hangup!! So, we talked with a person, cancelled card, wanted a check instead of credit back on account(she said "can't do that" and I do not trust none of them). We were promised a fraud packet(don't have it yet) and new card mailed out Oct 3rd. In the mean time there will be a hand written letter sent to them(don't know when we will receive anything!!) and complaints filed with CFPB, our state senators, FTC, BBB and local news!! WE need help with THIS FIASCO called THE GOVERNMENT, they know whats going on!!!

May 31, 2019

Kenny Smith here from puyallup direct express. Is terrible they don’t do any investigations it’s all lies they just keep your money we should all start a class action lawsuit together we would guarantee win any ever done class action lawsuits I want to look into
    This we cannot let them get away with this Contact me anytime anyone Kenny Smith Texting is best for me [protected] Grand total of almost $1000