Direct Energy / protection plan rip off

Direct Energy
I signed up for a heating protection plan in 2009 and was paying 20.99 per month. In one service call I was told by a sales representative from Direct Energy that there is a more comprehensive plan (Total home protection plan) that covers air conditioning and plumbing, etc. for additional 9 dollars. The sales person explained that I will be receiving the same benefits and more and there is no need to sign for a new contract. That was in February, so I said go for it..
To my surprise, when I saw my next bill, I was billed for 20.99 and 29.99 together so I called Direct Energy customer service and they acknowledge the problem and told me that they will be crediting the amount to my account and will be reflected in the next bill..
Next bill came with a charge of 20.99, 29.99 and a number of charges with a credit that amount to additional $40 charge. After a long and unpleasant call to Direct Energy, I was told that in order to switch to the new “Total home protection plan” they have to cancel the first plan “heating protection plan” and then add the new plan. Something that is completely new to me especially I called a month ago to inform them of the charge. Also they told me that I missed on the chance to cancel the plan (two months) which is a complete trickery especially I called a month earlier regarding the problem. Some of the things I heard from the executive support (supposedly the highest ranking support) indicates to me the following:
• Direct Energy do not care about customers satisfaction at all
• Direct Energy customer support is very inflexible even if the customer is obviously screwed by them. They would not make any adjustment to the additional charges taken from me.
• The cancellation, change, and renewal policies are very tricky and Direct Energy takes full advantage of these confusing policies.
• Sales people do not give you the complete picture and charges when they sign you up to any upgrade. They basically want to complete the sale and get their commission.
Overall satisfaction with Direct Energy is very poor. I recommend that you be careful if you decide to go with Direct Energy and don’t change your plan in the middle. Of course I recommend that you don’t even go with Direct Energy to start with.

A  2nd of Apr, 2009 by
I worked for DE for some period of time. It is true - the plans are usually a scam. Most people don't benefit from them. Plans are designed that way - that's how DE makes money!!! I will never ever ever join a plan. Not after working for these crooks. Also, just to let you know, the agents on the phone are FORCED to try and sell to you. It is not an option. Agents are brainwashed into thinking they are doing you a favor by looking after your best interests in joining these multiple-exclusionary plans. Go ahead, check your Terms and Conditions of the plan...Here are just a small number of things not included:
1) Heat Exchangers - this is the most expensive part of the system. NOT COVERED.
2) Condensator coils/compressors - most expensive part of the air conditioning. NOT COVERED.
2) Radiators, bleeding radiators, programmable thermostats. NOT COVERED.

DE doesn't tell you this when you join. Total home is even more of a rip off.
I was even told by my supervisor to make up things, like how happy I am that I have DE as a service provider. I had to lie or they would fire me. I quit my job. I refuse to lie. I refuse to work for this company.
A  14th of Jul, 2014 by
I have moved and am being billed for the rest of the term. They claim this is legal but of course its in the fine print apparently. They have never covered anything for the heating protection plan other than annual service and cleaning and I am not even sure if the person doing this was a certified technician. This is a rip off and do not be taken in!! You have only a small window of time to cancel a contract once you sign on so please don't be duped like I was. They are not willing to negotiate at all...pay up that's it!
A  12th of Mar, 2015 by
I sold my house and made a call to Direct Energy. I got a bill for the rest 11 months ahead for the cancellation of the protection plan when I had a chance to call 2 months before when I sold my house. As I found out later the Direct Energy has the policy that customer has to notify 30 days in advance to cancel the plan otherwise it's going to be automatically renewed and the customer might not even know about it. They never notified the Customer ahead about this rule when it comes to the protection plan agreement initiation. So I didn't ever had a clue about this cancellation rule. So the Customers should pay for nothing done. I didn't even use their service for the maintenance. They don't discover it on the purpose to make a charges in case of cancellations. The Direct Energy should notify the customer that the renewal date is approaching and the customer has the option to opt out. They never do it and the customers have to be stack with this plan for another year.
If the phone's plans get cancelled the customer paid rest of amount owing for the phone device. It makes sense.
But why I had to pay for the service that was never was provided.
That is huge scam under Enbridge Gas name as the bill from Direct Energy came as sum with gas total amount and customers has to pay it to avoid late charge fee.
A  20th of Jun, 2016 by
I have also experienced most of what was said above. Even though they are now called Enercare, the same deceitful practices continue. I was marketed a new "Heating Protection Plan" before my "Maintenance Plan" expired. Not many customers would even remember when their plan expires (this is by design I am sure). The marketing strategy allowed Enercare (in their minds) to bill me an "adjustment" as they referred to it to "pay out" the remaining months for the old plan and pay again for the SAME months under a new plan that so conveniently includes maintenance coverage I had before. I call this double billing. I have looked back at my records and it's not the first time that I was sold a new "plan" before the old one expired (including when I got free maintenance e.g. when I bought a new furnace. The way Enercare bills monthly for an "annual" plan is designed to make the customer think that it's a month-by-month subscription, so when a customer cancels the plan, the "cancellation" or "payout" fee is a big surprise. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR ANY MAINTENANCE OR PROTECTION PLAN FROM ENERCARE.
A  13th of Jul, 2016 by
I too sold my house and just received a bill for the balance, 9 months heating protection plan . I called Enercare and they refuse to reconsider the cancellation cost of 9 months remaining on the contract. This is unfair as the cancellation of contract under these terms can be anything from one month to eleven months. This is unfair and inequitable. I have searched on tine and can't seem to find much information on resolution. Where do I go next, any suggestions would be appreciated. Has anyone received any money back from these thieves?
N  14th of Jul, 2016 by
Register your complaint through BBB. I did that and Enercare refunded me the smaller amount (for 3 months) I paid out on the old plan. I am still fighting for the 7 month pay out amount on the newer plan. I also discovered that they get you to schedule more than 1 maintenance in a year - when you call them in response to their reminder to schedule maintenance - that's when they pounce on you with a new plan and new maintenance appointment, so that you use up the maintenance as soon as the new plan is signed up. I read somewhere a review from a customer who got back about $400 from them.

Direct Energy Logo Direct Energy