Direct Energy / vicious bullying
Direct Energy = Vicious bully
Corporations tend to put a lot of money into goodwill, advertising their services and creating a positive image in the eyes of the public. All this goes for naught when the same company's policies are written to screw their customers.
In 1998, while living in a house in Richmond Hill, I signed an agreement with Direct Energy to supply my natural gas. Every few years they would contact me for renewal of this agreement; I was always offered to opt out for double or triple gas price. Of course I renewed; it didn't really matter to me who supplied gas to my house. Finally, last September I sold my house and moved into an apartment in downtown Toronto.
This week I was served with a collection notice for $727.63. When I contacted the collection agency I was told that they represented Direct Energy and were charging me a fee for breaking my gas contract. Apparently there are 4.5 years left on my current 'renewal'; the fact that I have been a customer for 12 years is irrelevant.
The situation was resolved when I faxed in a copy of my current lease proving that I was no longer paying for gas services. Of course, the fax was at my cost (direct energy, you owe me $6.30). If I did not send in this fax, the bullying would continue; I was warned by the collection agency that they would keep calling until this was resolved.
So the bottom line, Direct Energy uses contract lawyers and collection agencies to setup their customers for intimidation and bullying. So much for goodwill.
More Direct Energy Complaints & Reviews
- Direct Energy - negative option contract renewal! 
- Direct Energy - fraud and cheating! 
- Direct Energy - billing 
- Direct Energy - things we should know as customers before signing with direct energy for natural gas 
- Mr Tankless / Ontario Direct Energy - owner 
- Direct Energy Services - billing and processing
- Direct Energy - scam
- Direct Energy - the aeroplan points
- Direct Energy - billing gas and electricity
- Direct Energy - natural gas and electricity