Direct Buy / Lies!

1628 Star Batt DriveRochester Hills, MI, United States Review updated:
Phone: 248-853-9898

At the time of our interest in purchasing a Direct Buy membership my husband and I were about to close on property in Northern Michigan where we plan to build our retirement home. The night of our tour of the Direct Buy in Rochester Hills which is located near our current place of residence, it was shared with the sales person assigned to us that we were about to build a home up north. So our purchase of a membership was contingent on a Direct Buy location near the city we were moving to.

We were told by the sales woman that yes indeed there was a location in the city of Cadilac Michigan, a 50 mile drive from Manistee Michigan where we were building. Our adult daughter and her boyfriend were with us and heard the saleswoman say this to us. After purchasing the membership for over $4000. plus we find out that there is NO location in Cadilac Michigan. The closest location is a 3 1/2 hour drive from Manistee.

First I called the Direct Buy Corporate Headquarters and was told that I needed to take the matter up with the Rochester Hills Direct Buy. When I spoke to the wife of the owner of the Rochester Hills Direct Buy she was rude, and said no one would give us that information. In other words I was lying. I told her the conversation was also heard by my adult daughter and her boyfriend. She said it was only hearsay.

She told me that on the night of our tour we were give a brochure with a listing of all the Direct Buy branches in the state and it was our responsibility to look at the brochure to determine this. She said, 'Why would the saleswoman tell us that there was a location in Cadilac when there wasn't one?'

Could it be to make a sale and get a commission? She certainly knew we wanted the membership if a location was close to the city we were retiring to. The sales woman told us with authority that there was a location in Cadilac Michigan. She didn't say. 'I think so but you need to look in the brochure I gave you.'

I told the Owner's wife something needs to be done about this. She refused. Said we signed a contract. I was distraught at her uncaring and unyielding attitude. When I put the phone down to tell my husband the bad news, she hung up on me. I have written the BBB of Michigan about this. The Owner's wife replied with a twisted lying account of conversation we had.

Beware about Direct Buy tours. They are filled with sales pitches and videos to listen to glorifying the perks of a Direct Buy Membership. Then you are left alone to look at their library of catalogs which are confusing to say the least. Each catalog has a different formula for pricing and shipping.

Then the salesperson comes back and puts pressure on you to buy the membership. You are told you will never be asked back if you don't buy the membership that night. A red flag should have gone up right then.

Also when you order from Direct Buy you have to do it in person. No online sales or orders. That involves a trip to the location followed by another one to pick up the merchandise. They don't deliver to your home. Can you imagine a 3 1/2 hour drive every time an order is placed and then a return to pick up the merchandise. Especially the number of materials it takes to construct a new home. Impossible.

I also sent a letter to the Direct Buy Corporate Headquarters. They never responded.
Va

Comments

Jo
  19th of Aug, 2008
I cant beleive all you people are dumb enough to keep falling for this scam.
I am a salesman there, and you people are so gullible, its like taking candy from a baby.
STUPID JERKS IS ALL YOU PEOPLE ARE... HA-HA-HA-HA-HA
WHEWWWWW !!! IDIOTS
Nj
  27th of Aug, 2008
I have personally heard similar stories about this company and the AH salespersons comment above confirms it. Why don't you contact the Attorney General for your state? Or get a lawyer, I would if I was taken for $4, 000
Ch
  31st of Jul, 2009
They now have so called customers on TV saying that they saved $70, 000 by joining Direct Buy. What liers! Why doesn't someone in government do something about them. They are crooks.
Pr
  19th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
HI, I AM A PUBLIC RELATIONS REP FOR THE DIRECTBUY HERE IN PA...THERE ARE MANY THINGS IN THIS WOMANS STORY THAT DONT PAN OUT ...1ST OF ALL U CANT BRIGN YR CHILDREN TO THE INITAL OPEN HOUSE THATS A NO NO...AND U KNOW IF SHE HAD A BAD EXPERIECE I CAN BELIEVE IT PPL ARE HUMAN BUT I DO AGREE IT WAS WRONG FOR THE OWNERS WIFE TO ACT THAT WAY...BUT JUS CUZ OF ONE BAD APPLE YOUR GOING TO DISREGAURD ALL THE BENEFITS ABOUT THE COMPANY ...THAT TO ME SOUNDS LIKE YR A FOLLOWER NOT A LEADER...IF U DID THIS WITH EVERY COMPANY ...WOW COULD U IMAGIN ... NOW BEFORE I WORKED THERE I KNEW ABOUT IT AND KNEW IT WAS A GREAT DEAL ...NOW I KNOW ITS ALOT OF MONEY FOR SOME PPL BUT THINK OF HOW MUCH U SAVE AFTER...AND THIS LADY COULD HAVE JUS ORDERED HER ITEMS ONLINE OR THROUGH THE MAG WE OFFER THEN SHE WOULD HAVE NEVER HAD TO DEAL WITH THEM ... IM SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT HER EXPERIENCE BUT IM SORRY... I WOULD NEVER LET ANYONE PREVENT ME FROM SAVING MONEY...I AM A SHOPPER AND I DO SHOP THERE AND I HAVE TO SAY ...FOR A SINGLE MOM WITH 4 CHILDREN ...I HAVE GOTTEN ALL THEIR X-MAS GIFTS AND THEN SOME AT MY LOCATION...MY POINT IS DONT LET SOMEONE ELS MAKE THE CHOICE FOR U IF YOUR CURIOUS REQUEST THE INFO N FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF ...WHAT DO U HAVE TO LOSE...SERIOUSLY FIND OUT IF ITS FOR U ...JSU CUZ IT WASNT FOR HER DOESNT MEAN ITS NOT FOR YOU AND DO CHECK OUT WWW.DIRECTBUYCARES.COM AND SEE ALL THE MEMBERS WHO HAVE LEFT FEEDBACK ...BE A LEADER NOT A FOLLOWER
Ed
  21st of Aug, 2009
i am a member and you just have to send an email to the store with what you want and they reply to you in 72 hours with everything and the order so the order part is a lye, from the person of the history and nasty people you find in every other place my advice go to another branch my branch is awesome so i know i dont have that problem and it is totally a yes in savins you can save a lot if you have a project in your home is worht i recomended to every buddy that can spend mony in their house but i guees if not to every buddy because if you dont spend you dont get what you paid and the page on the internet i find it good the search may need improve but nothing is perfect it is just that there is to many stuff for only one store so is overwellming to see that much i recomended myself
Jo
  31st of Aug, 2009
Don't know yet! My wife and I just joined last week and haven't got our password or members I.D. yet!...John and Jennifer Lee Seymour, MO.
Gr
  15th of Feb, 2010
I was renewing my membership on-line for the first time and happened to see these complaints on the website. As a member, you are required to go to a Direct Buy showroom/store in person to place an order. There is no such thing as ordering by e-mail or sending an e-mail to the store with what you want and the Direct Buy store will place an order for you. You are required to appear in person with your Direct Buy card I.D. to be admitted and to have access to the various catalogues from the different manufacturers. As with anything else regarding shopping, you have to make sure that you get what you are paying for. Direct Buy is not for everybody. This fellow what calls himself John H. Lee is not a member. Don't know what his purpose was in what he stated, but anyone looking to join Direct Buy, be aware that you will be required to go to a Direct Buy showroom/store each time you would like to place an order. And unless a manufacturer drop ships directly to your address, you will be required to return to the Direct Buy pick-up location (usually in close proximity to the Direct Buy showroom/store) to pick up whatever you ordered. Gregory E. Love Atlanta, Georgia
Li
  3rd of Jan, 2012
I'm a member and have renew twice I do most buying on line then call Abe place an order sometimes the shipments are ready to pick up fast and redid our kitchen all of the stove, fridge, ect. Was sent to our home that was great but make sure you get a contract in writing because the contractors we used or they provided us with were horrible and the doors were hung wrong they leak the floor installed so bad. My house took forever and I'm not real happy the boss lady tried to settle my complaints? She seem to be just a mouthpiece Ionce you invest so much as I did it's hard not to renew yearly for 200.now I feel stupid.so I'm happy with easy ordering and picks and yes they deliver to your door depending on what is but I door all the work myself or get your own contractors because Theirs are not great, grade D- How about a class action lawsuit?
L2
  25th of Jul, 2016
I have been a member for over 5 years and it depends on what you order as to whether or not you can order online. So I am not sure where Gregory E. in Atlanta, GA is coming from. I have ordered tons of stuff online through the Direct Buy website like free standing cabinets, dressers, tables, light fixtures, and area rugs. I typically save a ton of money. When I ordered carpet or built in cabinets I had to go into the "store" to work with someone there. I have never had a problem with the people. I will admit the sales pitch was a bit pushy, but I wouldn't have had a problem walking out but we were building a house and I could see the savings. I will note that most of my dealings were with the Farmington Hills showroom which closed so we'll see about the Rochester Hills showroom. I do think it is unfortunate you were given bad information and that the owner would not make it right. I also agree that this set up is not for everyone. Laura K. in Beverly Hills, MI.

DirectBuy Logo DirectBuy