Direct Buy / Awful everything

1 1030 West Germantown PikeNorristown, PA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 610-592 1403

I saw an infomercial on TV about the huge savings off retail prices for a whole host of consumer items (Claim of about 50%) that could be found at Direct Buy in Norristown PA and at Direct Buy outlets nationwide I made an inquiry about this and I was contacted by phone by a Direct Buy Representative. When I asked about the cost of membership over the phone, if savings of 50% off retail prices were really true and how long the 'presentation' was, the representative was vague and very abrupt.

I found this a little disturbing but I was interested to come up and check this thing out so I agreed to an 'appointment'. Big mistake! At the 'appointment' I had to endure this cheesy high pressure sales pitch video and presentation. The carrot dangled in front of me at the end of the 'presentation' of, 'join now or you never can' is high pressure sales to the extreme.

I was forbidden to check out their 'catalogs' to see of their claims were really true. This is not professional truthful sales practice. Most of the people there with me walked out. They saw thru the lies, the scam. I wish I had have! I fell for the high pressure sales pitch and joined up thinking I could save a lot of money.

I now know I made a huge mistake and no amount of haggling, complaining has worked. They will not refund my $4000.00. If you join up on the night, you are their greatest friend. If you don't join up they treat you like dirt, ignore you.

I have tried to buy a few things there with my membership, but the staff there give you very little help with shopping and quotes. Their customer service TOTALLY SUCKS. I have found the freight charges are ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS, like several hundreds of dollars on top of falsely claimed lower than retail prices. They do not give you payment plans and give no warranties. Crazy.

I have been in there 'shopping' thru the catalogs a few times and happened to use their kitchen on occasion. I have heard a few of their 'Directors' in their phone room screaming and abusing their sales staff, treating them like dirt. Apparently one staff member was physically assaulted and the offending staff member WAS PROMOTED! I have been informed that other staff people have questioned company practice and have been immediately terminated with no warning. I have been informed that they have a huge turnover of staff there. NO WONDER.

To anybody reading this, I say thru bitter experience: If you are contacted by Direct Buy Norristown or any of their stores, HANG UP THE PHONE OR DO NOT ANSWER. SAVE YOURSELF! If you have an appointment, DON'T SHOW UP! EVER! This is a deceptive company. They worship money. HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT

To 'Director Tracy' and all other Direct buy staff, get the hell out of there. Leave. Find yourself a job with a reputable, professional company. SAVE YOURSELF

Spread the word about this evil company. More people are waking up.

Va

Comments

Na
  8th of Oct, 2008

A federal lawsuit has been filed in U.S. District Court in Hartford against the national high-end DirectBuy franchise operation, accusing it of falsely telling prospective clients that they are getting furniture, appliances and other household products at manufacturer prices. In a lawsuit filed by attorney Seth R. Klein of Hartford, DirectBuy is accused of hiding the fact that DirectBuy receives rebates from manufacturers which are not directly passed on to their members, who pay as much as $7, 000 to join for two or three years. The lawsuit, which seeks to be certified as a class action representing thousands of present and former members of the more than 100 franchises, was filed earlier this month. It follows a column on DirectBuy that disclosed the rebates, which are kept secret from its members and from those it entices to join through high pressure sales techniques. DirectBuy officials had no comment on the suit but had said earlier that it uses the millions of dollars it received in rebates to the benefit of its members. We will see what a jury has to say about that.

Ga
  14th of Oct, 2008

I agree completely. This seems like a racket and I'm incensed at the way that I was treated. They tried to pressure me into making a decision and asked me to pay thousands of dollars up front for a membership that isn't even good forever. In a few years they will probably want to gouge me again. I'm sorry that I wasted the time to talk to them and hope that others will not be taken in.

Li
  15th of Jan, 2009

I am horrified by this disgusting scam. I too fell into the trap of their scam in trying to save money. I should have realized this the first time I called to inquire about their service. The man on the phone insisted that I had to come with my husband and without children to this "meeting" that was only by appointment and that if you gave up the appointment you would never have another chance to make one. What an idiot I was. But the lure of saving so much money blinded me, I guess. I kept saying to him, I make all the decisions for my home. He kept insisting that "both" parties had to be there for the appointment. I did not feel he was entitled to know anything about me personally, so I insisted that I needed to come alone. I finally had to threaten to speak to his supervisor if he insisted on this requirement. He gave in. On the day of the appointment, my daughter was not feeling that great. She was OK but seemed like she was getting a cold. I called and told them that I had to bring her in with me and that I probably could not stay for the whole "demonstration". He told me I could not come. Despite the fact that I explained that my daughter was not a little baby or a toddler but was 12 years old and quite mature. I was shocked at this attitude and called his supervisor.

I spoke to him (after he called a week later) and he apologized profusely and invited me to a "special appointment". He even told me that the person who spoke to me had been fired.

So I went. I believed all that they told me, since they seem to have trained these sleazy salespeople to trap you. I did not go with my intuition, unfortunately. I signed up.

Even though they did tell me that they were basically "self-service" they did tell me there was always someone there to ask questions. And, they insisted that they had everything so well organized that I would have no problem finding anything I needed.

Every time I went, I managed to spend 2 or 3 hours searching for things like I was in a maze. They had absolutely no one there to guide you. The organization of the catalogs was horrendous. There was no computer system that had a contemporary search engine. It was horrible!!!

I then gave up on this. I decided to try the kitchen planning service. The woman was rude, kept making mistakes and refused to accept they were hers. I repeatedly went to her and showed her what I came in with, and what she gave me back. She looked at me like I was an idiot. (I have done 4 house renovations). She finally gave me what seemed final. She recommended some people to come and give me an estimate. The first person never called back. The second person said I am only a painter. The third person came in and actually told me she made mistakes on the plan so he had to talk to her first.

Every time I tried to call Direct Buy, they were either closed or had limited hours with no access to a customer service line, no online help. When I did speak with someone, they told me they could not help me and had to call me back. Never heard back. In fact, I never received any letters, postcards, or anything special for members in the mail or via email. I only get their stupid, cheap catalog with their ugly furniture and stupid lures to make you come into the showroom.

I was so frustrated I finally decided not to go to the stupid showroom and use the website for members to do my shopping. So who wrote this website? A monkey? It is by far, the worse website I have ever encountered. I gave up. I called it a major loss and a stupid mistake.

DO NOT FALL FOR THEIR LIES AND SCAM. PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF THE MONEY. IT IS NOT WORTH IT.

Di
  19th of May, 2009

DirectBuy is a nightmare & scam.
Help spread the word...
A Federal Class Action lawsuit against DirectBuy has been filed by Izard Nobel LLP. Contact information is as follows
Lead Attorney - Jeff Nobel
email - jnobel@izardnobel.com
toll free phone# - (800) 797-5499
Please contact them so justice may prevail & we can get our hard earned money aka "membership fees" back.

Mi
  12th of Jun, 2009

i actually worked at this direct buy. if i annoyed anyone, i apologize. the d-bag owner gave us a list of about 1000 ppl to call. some of these ppl werent even close to norristown. some were in philly, ardmore, etc. i know ppl dont like solicited sales calls, so it really sucked when i called someone and they were mad at me. i knew where they were coming from. alot of these #'s were also disconnected and old. i think i averaged only 2 walkin agreements a day on my first week. Not bad right? considering im new, ppl hate what i was, and that alot of these numbers were old, and had to learn an actual script! so what happens? they told me "its not working out"! i asked for a reason and they just repeated it. also, our scripts pretty much had us being a-holes. if you were interested, but didnt meet the salary requirements, we pretty much said "perhaps we can help you in the future, goodbye" after wasting the customers time.

Di
  23rd of Jun, 2009

Mike-
Thanks for your honesty. We all know that the employees are not responsible for what happens at DirectBuy. It is the greedy franchise owners and the corporation at large who is raping the public. You were only a mere pawn in their game. I feel sorry for you because they must have treated you poorly during your time there.

Hopefully former employees will help in the fight to get DirectBuy shut down (after we recoup our membership fees & employees get their back pay).

I wish you well. Be thankful you don't work for those ### anymore...

Bn
  13th of Aug, 2009

I am a current employee of Direct Buy and they are horrible!!! They only give you 25 dollars per person who signs up and they people R signing up at 5, ooo per person. I average 8-10 people per week 250 extra dollars and the just made 50, 000 for me I hate my job but I'm in a catch 22 with the economy, so I can thank God for the job but I wish he will bless me with something better. Im just going 2 go back 2 school and yes peolle direct buy treat ther employees like ###. I've been working the for almost a year and got passed up on promotion twice!!! the first time they hired someone and gave him the position because he has a minister degree.. What they hell do that have 2 do with me 6yrs of sales experince and computer skills..they even gave him the job and one of my co worker. whom they fired of course, has 2 degree, one in pyscology and one in business!!! and he dont even act like a man of the cloth!!! he a hypocrite...and the second time i got passed up, they gave a employee, who was working ther a year before me but my stats and numbers is muuuuuuch better then hers and she missed three days with no call no show and they prmoted her!!! un###ing believable!!! This is not a career job except for the brownie points employees!!! They dont offer no insurance health dental nothing, they purposly keep employees 2 a small # so they dont have 2. and they made billions of dollars I hate them n remember when I said I average, 8-10 leads per week, well a couple of weeks I was only getting 2-3 and they was trying 2 write me up!!! they owner pays for Your leads so DONT CALL IN THEY R USING U THE CONSUMER AND US THE EMPLOYEES!!!, they r franchise out, but the corporation could at least offer some type of insurance and lastly if another bemployee picks with you, good luck telling someone they dont care 2 listen I wish I could get a class action lawsuit together 4 disgruntle and former employees of direct buy...HMMMM seem like a very good idea ?ThanKs 4 reading---------Buyer beware!!! Thanxs

Sm
  6th of Sep, 2009

We narrowly escaped from their trap today (09/05/2009). My wife was contacted by one of the sales women from Direct Buy three days ago and gave her a month free membership and invitation for an open house. They again called her yesterday (09/04/2009) and gave her a access code!. During the phone conversation my wife repeatedly asked her about the membership fee, they said you would come to know about it when you visit us tomorrow. We drove about ~30 miles (From Dallas TX to Sunnyvale, TX) to meet a pushy sales man. Funny thing was that they did not have any merchandise in their open house except a leather jacket, a set of cookware and a kitchen knife set to show us how much money we can save if we buy things through them. During the presentation, the sales man asked us several questions on how much we earn and spend on buying things. My wife kept on asking him about the membership fee but he asked her to wait. After hearing our yearly budget, he started doing a simple math. Like, if you spend $10, 000 per year and in five years it would be $50, 000. If the retailer keeps 100% margin you would be paying $25, 000 extra. Then he asked the question, how would you feel about your hard earned money going into someone else's pocket. You don't have to pay this much to a retailer and you have to pay only $6000 as a membership fee for three year and save $19, 000. After hearing the membership fee, our brain shut-down temporarily. Somehow we completed the tour and the salesman asked us to sign the agreement immediately. We requested him to give us few days time to think about it but he warned us that once we walk out of their door we would not be getting another chance to become a member. We really felt bad to decline the membership offer at that time. We walked out of their door with a bitter feeling. We felt really good (1) after reading others experience with Direct buy and (2) we did not become one of Direct buy's victims.
Please don't go and waste your precious time.
-SMAT

Ro
  9th of Sep, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

I think most of these responses are angry responses to something you know nothing about. You fear and resent change, and a change in the way you buy things is what DirectBuy offers. You don't understand the concept they offer so you lash out in anger. Best of luck with all things in life, but moreso the one constant. Change.

Na
  18th of Dec, 2009
Agree Disagree -2 Votes

Anyone can post anything on these boards. Mix a little truth with some lies and viola, what a mess.
Warranties are on all purchases for instance. No different.
Some franchise centers owners are horrible at service, others do great.
IN the end, you have the power to join or not and the power to get up and walk out of an open house, dont let a foolish salesman, rip you apart. Leave. If it is right for you, make that choice yourself after seeing the savings for yourself. Somehow people fail to realize they are grown ups and can act accordingly. Both the salesman and the guests. A 38 year old company with 160+ locations and nearly 1/2 million active members is not a scam. But it certainly is NOT for everyone.
Right?

It
  10th of Feb, 2010

Got an offer for an interview in this crazy job market to manage a
Direct Buy call center. At first I was excited...I thought it was for Best Buy.

Years ago I got a few high pressure sales calls from the Norristown Direct Buy. When you don't get straight answers for what should be simple questions...especially from someone invading your sanctity by calling your home...it's usually a scam. It's five years later and as I researched Direct Buy for my interview, there are thousands of similarly negative experiences posted all across the web. They are peppered with "counterclaims" attacking people regarding their experience using nothing but their opinion (I suspect a corporate effort to diminish the truth) These counter attacks are on every site but stand out as the only ones using their full names like "Rob VanDoodewaard" above.

Here's the consistent complaint... Membership fees are a secret before you go in the door, your real savings remain elusive and unclear until after you figure it out to be a scam, contract is signed under duress using the take-away sales technique...sign now or never, shipping fees, handling charges and all the rest are not discusssed and often catch the unsuspecting by surprise later, deliveries come to the wearhouse, so you may have to pay more to get them home, the fee to join is an astronomical $5000 + with additional annual fees to follow, and you'll realize the service sucks only after you part with your money. The worse thing...it seems they have somehow found a loophole in most states which corners the consumer into signing away their usual Nationwide expectation of protection afforded by the Uniform Commercial Business Law Code to a 3 day cooling off period in which you normally can cancel any contract. Worse yet, people who have been suckered realize later that the actual prices paid could be found in most supply houses, and are often cheaper elsewhere. The only feasible use for a membership that justifies costs of $5000 to join would for be a contractor spreading the cost over several jobs...if this were a legitimate buyers club, this approach would be their best customer. The actuality is that you can't buy a refrigerator for your cousin without being "expelled" from the "club"...the benefits are for your household alone. $5000 would be all the appliances I'd need for a new kitchen, I can find a deal on cabinets and countertops anywhere.

After reading about their sales tactics and hundreds of complaints, I'd hate myself if I worked for them by doing such a disservice to so many. I'll be skipping this interview.

Ha
  9th of Jun, 2010

This place is a constant harassment if you do not decide to purchase their membership. I have received numerous phone calls after I declined to visit their store when I found out that it was a membership at a ridiculous price, rather than just a discount store. The phone number 610-592-1403 shows up on my phone and when I answer the other party just hangs up. When I try to dial back, I keep getting a busy signal. I finally paid the fee to have a company reverse look up the information, turns out it was the DirectBuy in Norristown, PA. I have seen other reviews when I looked up this phone number on the web and saw that the same number had been harassing other people as well. Beware of this company.

Sa
  18th of Aug, 2010

there sweepstakes only allow people who have an anuall incom of 35, 000 and above or eles if poor you canot enter with anything less then 35, 000 to 60, 000 That's not right. people would love to enter but they ask why do they have to make so much just to win 50, 000 dollars.

Pi
  24th of Sep, 2010

Unfortunately I also made the mistake of calling them after watching a TV infomercial.

The representative, Jennifer, who contacted me was beyond rude. First she was talking too fast on the phone, sounded almost like she doesn't even care about what she was telling. So I politely asked her if she could speak a little bit slower so that I could understand. Then she started eating something and I heard her swallows between each of her words.

Couple other things happened, too. For example one of the questions was about my marital status and so I said I am engaged and said we don't live together and because of that I didn't wanna give my fiances name to them. So she started questioning how come we don't live together! Seriously!!!

Then I had it up here so I asked her what her last name was because I told her that I would report her unacceptable attitude to her manager. First she prentended that she didn't hear me and kept explaining what else they offer at Direct Buy. Then I asked her last name two more times, and she said why and added she didn't do anything wrong. So I said:

"If you believe that you didn't do anything wrong then why do you hesitate to give me your last name?"

She couldn't say anything, and after a silence, she said she's the only Jennifer at the Direct Buy Norristown Office, still not giving me her last name.

Anyhow, on the day of my apointment with them, I got stuck at work so I called them and left Jennifer a voice message thru their office's general mailbox because there was noone to answer the calls, which is fine because I called them at 5:30pm. The day after that, Jennifer called, started talking way too fast again... I am at work, I am desigining something, super-duper concentrated and trying to understand what she was saying. After she stopped talking, I seriously still somehow was able to answer her question very politely and I said I left her a message thru general mailbox. Sarcastically she said she never got it, laughed, and I told her to check their general mailbox. Then she asked me if I like to reschedule my appointment. And because I am pissed at her attitude, I said no, thank you, and she just hung up the phone on face! Wow Direct Buy!!!

So I called their Norristown office.

Jessica, the service manager, answered the phone and I told her about my horrible experience with that specific representative and her attitude. Jennifer apologized and told me she would talk to her.

So then, because I was so pissed, I called Jennifer back and told her that this is the girl who you hung up the phone on her face. Also added that I talked to her manager and hoped that this would teach her a lesson. She was so chill, laughed and asked:

"Huh, you think this would teach me a lesson?"

I have nothing else to say to you Direct Buy!!! Where do you find these high-class(!!!) representatives??

Merci beaucoup,

and have a great day!

XoXo

Be
  6th of Feb, 2011

I should have known this was a scam when I heard the pitch, money up front for promises in the future. Having owned several medium sized retail businesses, I also know how business works. Many big box chain stores' buyers will work with and even recruit smaller merchants to move much of their merchandise even before they buy it. They do this to get better pricing and terms from the manufacturers, particularly overseas manufacturers where ocean freight costs are a factor. Both sides of this "trans-shipping" arrangement understand that it is mutually beneficial. The big guy moves enough merchadise to get the best deal from the manufacturer and the little guy gets a better price than he could get from the manufacturer even to the extent that he will eschew payment terms and "floor plans" he would get if he was direct with the manufacturer. This means that the pricing you see in Direct Buy's catalog is not a true representation of the "wholesale" price a store would pay. It depends on the store, the size of their orders, etc. There is no one wholesale price. There are many, even many different "wholesale" price lists from the same manufacturer. This of course includes special incentive prices, shipping deals, etc. So if you know how to shop (shop around and be tough) you can do as well as Direct Buy says they can do for you (after the ancillary charges) without paying a $5000 membership fee. That's the reason for the hard sell. Get you to fork over the money, sock it away in the bank while you wait for "indoctrination seminars" and other time wasting stalls while whatever grace period your credit card company offers for you to opt out of the deal runs out. Thankfully, I discovered this website while my grace period is still in effect. Monday morning I will cancel my membership. Yes, I feel like a fool but at least I'll be a fool who got back his $5000. Take my advice. Steer clear of these "pay me now and I'll get you a great price in the future" buying clubs. Do your own shopping and remember, it's a buyers' market out there.

Be
  7th of Feb, 2011

Well it's Monday morning and my bank advises me that grace periods don't mean much once the money has been paid out which it has. So now it's on to lawyers and the Florida Attorney General. I'll keep you updated.

Lu
  11th of Mar, 2011

Today March 10 2011, my wife and me, go to the appointment Direct Buy, this is a fraud, for you make a tour for the merchandise, you need pay $5, 500 dollars like a down-payment, and after 150.00 a year how membership but this is not in the promotion, all is a false history, and the representative was incorrect, they only want your money, my interview was only 3 minutes, no more, we don't recommend this company DIRECTBUY one more time this is a fraud all the promotion. NEVER MAKE A VISIT TO DIRECTBUY, OR GO, AND AFTER WRITE HERE YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Luis.

Lu
  2nd of Jul, 2011

I have been watching their ads for a couple of years. I went to their website and that is where I smelled a rat. If they want customers they sure don't know how to get them. I avoided them just on my gut feelings and I am glad I did.

Mo
  12th of Jun, 2012

I've been a member of Direct Buy for 5 years.
I used to go to the Newtown Store before it closed.
I never had anything other than a good experience there. Our new kitchen was designed with the help of their wonderful kitchen consultant, it's top of the line, and cost the same as the estimate from Lowe's for the junky stuff.
We've bought many materials to redo our house through Direct Buy and saved a ton of money...windows, roofing supplies (we got them cheaper than the roofer could get), flooring, appliances. The company is not a scam, it's well worth the price if you are redoing your house or a large project. I don't know about the Norristown store specifically.

Pa
  23rd of Oct, 2012

I've been a member for several years. Just like the writer before me, i was a member at the Newtown Direct buy. It was closer to me, so its kind of annoying to go to the Norristown showroom for certain things, and they don't have weekend hours. But besides that, it's been a great experience. I'm not sure how anyone can call this a scam because the prices are different. Yes, you can spend hours in the showroom, and recently, I've found it to be more organized and the staff was very helpful. But at the end of the day, they prices are less. I've paid $500 for a bathroom sink (final price after all) that would have cost me $700 anywhere else that I looked for it online. And they do offer a warranty of it. I've also paid $4, 000 for a highen kitchen, where I would have paid $8, 000 for the "highend" home depot version, which we all know, isn't very high end. I've also recently bought some nice, real SOLID walnut (not the fake crap wrapped in veneer) dining chairs made by Calligaris, and found the direct buy prices way cheaper then anywhere else i could find the chairs.

This direct buy isn't for everyone. If you're looking for "cheap" inexpensive stuff, like some crappy ikea quality, partical board wrapped in wood veneer furniture, and you want it even cheaper then you can get at Ikea, you won't find that at Direct Buy. If you want a long lasting, high quality, solid wood piece of furniture, but can't really spend the $2, 000 it costs, you can find that high quality piece and spend maybe $1, 300 on it. See the difference? You'll get the top tier quality furniture (and other things) but a better price. Almost what you would pay for the cheap stuff somewhere else. If you don't see the value in finely crafted, high quality furniture (and other things), then don't join in Direct Buy.

There are things you can buy else where after searching for it yourself online and you can possibly find cheaper. Then go after it. But there are lots of things you can get through direct buy that have a tremendous savings. Usually, the bigger purchases are where you'd save. Flooring, tiles, kitchen cabinets, and some expensive furniture pieces. The smaller things sometimes aren't worth the hassle and few saved bucks. But the big things pay back the membership fee pretty quickly.