Comments

• Sl
      16th of Apr, 2009

I have the same thing, added a collections account to my credit report. $28 from Direct Brands, Don't know what it is.

• Re
      8th of Jun, 2009

WE NEED TO FILE A LAW SUIT THIS COMPANY I NEVER EVEN HEARD OF HAS JUS PUT A CHARGE ON MY CREDIT REPORT I HAVE TRIED TO CONTACT THEM NO LUCK AND ITS DESTROTING MY CREDIT REPORT!!! IM PISSED!!!

R SIMS
    DEER CREEK OKLAHOMA
    405-323-0373

• Yo
      13th of Jul, 2009

Direct Brands Inc was once formerly Bookspan, so if any of you ever bought anything from any music or book clubs, then this is what the charge is for. I am currently going thru the same as you. Call 717-697-0311 for more information about your account.

• Me
      28th of Jul, 2009

DIRECT BRAND IS SENDING PEOPLE BOOKS HOPE THEY BUY THEM AND WILL NOT RETURN THEM. THIS company is bad for business. Treats employees and customers very bad. FBI, CIA.SOMEONE PLEASE CHECK OUT HOW THEY ARE CHARGING PEOPLE. THEY ARE DOING ANYTHING SO THEY CAN STAY OPEN.

• De
      10th of Aug, 2009

Same here, but mine is for $91! Haven't bought anything from them, where do we send a complaint to or ask to have it removed? Thanks.

• Kk
      25th of Aug, 2009

i got the same thing. just pull my credit and they got one for $99 on mine and i never got any thing from them.

• So
      2nd of Sep, 2009

Wow, I also got a $38 charge on my credit report, it says 01/09 but I don't use book or music clubs (which their website says they sell) and I have never used this company either. I have submitted a dispute on the charge, but it too is messing with my good credit. What are we supposed to do?

• Cr
      18th of Sep, 2009

I have you all beat...$193! This just showed up as a collection item on my credit history a few weeks ago. I'd never heard of them and certainly never belonged to any book club and I am very upset. I used the number listed above and explained this to them. A very indifferent agent explained that she would report this to their "fraud department" who would send a letter to me within 2 weeks explaining what action they would take. Of course, no correspondence ever materialized. However, when I called back and spoke to a supervisor I was told that they had indeed removed the charge and had notified the collection agency to remove it. She said she would email me documentation proving this (not holding my breath). I wonder how long it will take for all this to get cleared up and be removed from my credit history? Anyone care to wager? Four weeks? Eight weeks? I'll say a minimum of 3 months. In the meantime I'm trying to buy a house and how do you suppose this looks to a mortgage lender? This whole system is so totally stacked against the consumer.

• La
      24th of Sep, 2009

I am getting calls from Penn Credit Collections stating that I have ordered books from Direct Brand Inc. Which I do not belong to no such thing as a book club I never had any knowledge that this company even exsisted. The collection agency said I ordered in year 2007 and I spoke with Direct Brand themselves @ number 717-697-0311 which isn't toll free the lady had told me I ordered in 2008 hmmmmm sounds fishy to me. For the grand total of 87.22. This is really hurting my credit. And I am not happy about this. And on top of all that Penn Credit Collections told me I could not dispute. What credit company tells you that you cannot dispute? It is my right to if I do not have anything from this so called company Direct Brands Inc. ??????????????

• In
      21st of Nov, 2009

We seem to all be in the same 'sinking' boat. My problem is exactly the same, for $74.00.
    My question: Has ANYONE resolved this BS?? Has anyone tried/contacted the Credit Report people? How Do We Fix This?

• Co
      7th of Dec, 2009

I just found the same problem on credit report for 102.00. I called Penn corp got my account# that was turned in from Feb 2007. The company doing this is Direct Brands Inc. They have Double Day Book club and BMG Music etc, so if you didn't satisfy your account they are still trying to collect. The # for Direct Brands is 717-918-1069. they still had my info and was able to help me if you can get your acct # from the Penn Credit. The lady took off the charges for me. She was very nice. so before anyone calls with attitude try being nice and remember she didn't do this.

• Yo
      14th of Dec, 2009

Listen people...I used to work for the company you are maligning. Most of you idiots don't bother to read the fine print in the correspondence that is sent to you, which is disappointing, because after all, you are signing up for a book club. Most of your problems are stemming from the fact that when you returned the little card to get 4 books for 99 cents plus shipping or some other variation(which hey...that's a great deal), you did not have the brain power to notice that you were roped into a commitment to buy 4 other books at regular club price within the next 2 years. When that 2 years is completed and you still have not fulfulled your commitment, you are charged for those books, which is when you start ### because you did not receive anything but those 4 books for 99 cents for your money. Moral of my story...always read the fine print and I have no sympathy for your self imposed problems with this company

• Sp
      6th of Jan, 2010

OK, I received my credit report and it had a $162, what.. from a BMG music/ direct Brands...What, I did not know People still order CD in the mail?? I have never order anything.. The lady from National Credit Solution told me original amount was $30 and now they what $162? What Do credit report agencies allow this fraud company to report accounts????

8th of Jan, 2010

Just noticed the same thing on my credit report (for $93). - Never ordered books/music online before. I filed a fraud report via Experian, and also called the 'Penn Credit Corp' # which was listed on my credit report. However they couldn't find any info regarding my name, address, or even soc sec #. So it's not like someone even used my name to order anything.. . very odd!

I'll try those #s for Direct Brands next and see what happens.

It's terribly frustrating; this is the only bad thing on my credit report!

8th of Jan, 2010

Update: well after a very long time on the phone w/ Direct at 717-918-1069 they said the account # I had on my credit report was under a different name and living at a different address. Of course they could not provide me that info. I gave her my addresses and they did not match the one she had.

Whatever was ordered under my name was sent to that address.

So it looks like a possible case of identity theft. She gave me yet another # for Penn Corp - will try when I have more energy.

15th of Jan, 2010

So Experian cleared the record off after my dispute. I had called Direct and and Penn Corp; apparently the account holder had the same last name as me, but a different first name and soc sec number. It's scary how these sorts of stupid mistakes can happen!

It's a pain in the ### but I encourage others to fight back and dispute any possible mistakes on their credit report.

22nd of Feb, 2010

This happened to me as well in the amount of $86. I happened to pull up my credit report on Experian and noticed a Penn Corporation charge of $86. I stated on my credit report that this charge was not mine and I did not remember ever buying anything from Direct Brand Inc. I just got a letter in the mail a few weeks ago saying that I was correct, this was not my bill, and now it has been deleted from my credit. How do companies like this get peoples' personal information if they do not EVER sign up for any cd/dvd/book/etc. offers? That should be illegal because they add whatever amount they feel like adding onto your credit, so it makes your credit looks bad. It's ridiculous!!

• Rh
      15th of Mar, 2010

This company shows up on my credit report -- I understand they are the main creditor to BMG Music, and claim that I ordered a Coldplay CD 6 years ago. I hate Coldplay -- I definitely never bought any of their CD's. Moreover, BMG music was proven to have sold fraudalent names to collection agencies as recently as 2008. When I called Direct Brands, they said I didn't have an account with them, and they gave me a number to call at Columbia House. The number they provided was inactive, and trying to get someone at Columbia House to help you on any general customer service lines is impossible.

Out of the 3 credit agencies, only Experian shows this on my account, and my dispute through them was unfavorable. Apparently they just call the company to ask if it's accurate, and of course the company says it is. Next stop for me -- the Better Business Bureau. I have had success getting them to clear up mistakes/fraud on my credit report in the past.

• Ny
      19th of Mar, 2010

I just found a charge for 189 on my credit I called the Collection company who hung up on me 3 times!! I was told that I never signed anthing but They had somone with my middle name who they looked up to find a Social socurity number for without authorization then put it on my credit because I had lived at the address listed!! Apparently any agency can do this! Just get your social and bill you for ANYTHING!!! I was told I could dispute which I did! This place is Freaking ###'s!! Someone help!!

• Jl
      23rd of Mar, 2010

I also just found charges on credit report and disputed. I have another one on my husbands which I believe his lying conniving ex-wife placed in his name -- problem for her is its over $100 which I believe is prosecutable.