Direc TV Referral Bonus Program / referral bonus program is a rip-off!

I have been with Direct TV for the past three months and up until this morning, I was pleased with the service.

When I signed up with Direct TV three months ago, I told them that we wanted to take advantage of the $100 referral program that they were offering at that time, and stated that my parents had referred us.

They explained the program to me and said that my parents would get $100 off their next Direct TV bill. They instructed me to call a different phone number to give them my parents' account number in order to complete the offer. I immediately did this upon completing my phone call with the first Rep.

This morning I asked my parents if their bill reflected any money off, and after reviewing their 2 most recent bills, they said no. I immediately called Direct TV to report this.

The Rep told me that it was too late for them to do anything because their records didn't reflect that I had ever completed the transaction by calling the other phone number! I told the Rep that I did indeed do everything that I was told to do and that I expected them to make good on their original offer. After I stated that I was sure it was an error on their part, I was shocked when she said that even if it was their error, it was too late for them to correct it! I asked her why she felt that the customer should be penalized for their error, however instead of answering me, she repeated the same thing she told me before about it being to late. I AGAIN asked her that same question and AGAIN she started to give me the same answer, so I cut her off and asked her to give me the address of their corporate office. She asked if I was going to let her finish what she was saying, I told her no, that I had heard enough and repeated my request for their corporate address. She hung up!

I called back to speak to a manager who told me the same thing, however as a "courtesy", he said he would deduct $10.00 off my parents bill for the next 6 months.

I told him that although I appreciated the offer, I was still very upset over how this issue had been handled, and that if I didn't know better, it seemed like they were trying to scam us. At the point I told him that I would pursue this issue with their corporate, he told me that he didn't have to offer me the courtesy that he had just offered, as if he was going to take that courtesy discount away because I was still going to pursue the issue!

Va

Comments

• Do
      25th of Jun, 2007

I had a very similar experience with Directv. I told them when I called that my son had referred me. I specifically asked them if I needed any account # to give them for the referral. Cole at extension 6306 phone # 1-800-620-6841 said that I just needed to call him back when the dish was installed and give him the information and then call another # 1-866-443-8869 (referral dept.) and they would set it all up. He told me my son would get $50.00 and I would get $50.00 off on my next bill. When I called back Cole was not there and they told me it was too late to get the referral, that I should have called before ordering the system. I spoke to a manager & he told me they would give me a $50.0 0 credit on the credit card that I used to purchase the system. That has been a month ago & I still have not received the credit. I called the referral # and they said there was nothing they could do and I called customer service and got the same response.I finally called back and did get to speak to Cole and he said that they should have taken the referral because he made notes about it in the order. Customer service said they had no record of notes. I guess it's ok for the customer reps of these companies to lie as long as they sell a system. I will be disconnecting this system as soon as my year is up. I spent approximately 4 hours on hold trying to get some answers to this problem. Never had these problems with cable. I am willing to pay more just to get better service and no lies.

• Rh
      20th of May, 2008

I reffered my sister to direct tv. She tried to get the offer of 50 to her and 50 to myself for the refferal. They told her that I would be the only person that would get the 50$. After 9 months, still nothing. I called them. They stated they could not look into because they could not look into her account since I was not her. She would not let me speak to a manager.

• Er
      6th of Aug, 2008

I recently signed up for Direct TV and got the $50 off friend referral deal. If anyone wants the same discount please feel free to use me as a "friend". The discount will appear as a $10 credit for 5 months. They'll ask for my account number which is #51312525. Give it a shot and save $50. This discount is in addition to the current offers they have running so you have nothing to lose.

Regards,
    Eric Bede
    Mililani, Hawaii

• Ri
      13th of Oct, 2008

Hey everyone, this deal is still alove and going on, I used the following account number as a referral code, this was taken from FATWALLET deal site. Account number 21855190

• Ho
      18th of May, 2009

I had the same problem...3 different times.

Complete and total ### by Directv.

• Re
      26th of May, 2009

With directv you have to call the referal number to begin with. Period. If you are referring someone to directv and you want to make sure you and they get the discount YOU SHOULD CALL IN and get the REFER A FRIEND phone number, its also on the ads on tv when they are talking about refering your friends. IF THEY DO NOT CALL THIS NUMBER THEY ARE NOT GOING TO GET THE DISCOUNT, EVER!!!
    And Rick, I have reported that directv account number and the accounts it has referd to directv, this if fraud, that is illeagle, and very unfair practices for customers to do that kind of crap when there is honest customers doing the right thing out there. so just an fyi, you may be losing those discounts, maybe worse. Next time try and be honest, and not use a website that teaches you how to fraud a company.

• Du
      14th of Jun, 2009

I just got direct tv and when I asked if the referral was good they said yes .After 4 calls with more info on my friend, ph# then address I was told it was a done deal.Today I got a letter saying no my friends account was not active.and he got a letter saying mine was not active.Come on, once they have a contract its screw you period.

• Pa
      15th of Jan, 2010

Amazing, My mother and I are going through the same thing too. After both of us making phone calls, and telling us we were approved for the discount over the phone, we received letters staing it was to late. Im still persuing this though' and will be sending out letters to the attorney general, FCC and Direct tv if the rsults I get aren't completely satisfactory.

12th of May, 2010

Ditto. Referred my daughter in Feb. 2010. We did all the right things. Now we've called Directv and they have no record of the referral. Each of us has spent over an hour on the phone trying to get to the bottom of this. Just get transferred and eventually disconnected. Now we've emailed through their website and their responsive "resolution specialist", a real joke, starts all over with "company-line" and hasn't even read our e-mail. To boot, he even gives another referral phone line # than their website. So, I guess now that they have 2 #s to call, if you call the one # they can say that you didn't call the other one. Where's a class action lawsuit when you need one?

• Pa
      27th of Oct, 2010

Hey it worked for me. I used the account number 40711911, and called 1-866-443-8869. Worked like a champ with 0 problems.

• Mb
      17th of Jul, 2011

Worked for me...

Free NFL Sunday Ticket for new subscribers!!!

PLUS...

$100 off ($10 a month for 10 months) for new subscribers. Just go to www.directv.com/refer and enter code 45080982 or call 1-800-507-4045 and give them account code 45080982.

Bryan Bixler

27th of Oct, 2014

Lets both save $100 :)

1 - Go here: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/referral/referralProgram.jsp

2 - Enter my account # : 68527587

3 - If needed, the name is Joe Diaz in Garden Grove, CA

You can also call 1-800-507-4045

Thanks in advance and enjoy :)

• Di
      28th of Oct, 2014

Use my account number and save $10 off per month for 10 months! $100 savings on top of their best deal.

Account No. 7713215
    Name Robert Koke

Go to directv.com/refer or by calling 1-800-507-4045

• De
      29th of Oct, 2015

Feel free to use my information to get $100.

Name: Dena Whalen

Account number: 3489741

• Ez
      13th of Jan, 2016

I'm having some of the same problems. I referred my daughter, she called with my account number and was told to give it a couple of billing cycles to show on the billing, and that was October. Still have not seen anything so I called today. I was told that because she had bundled with AT&T that we would not qualify for the refer a friend. The technician that installed her system told them that would not be a problem.
    I have been with Directv since 2005 and it continues to be a problem with the billing. Another problem is the statement, so pleased look at your statement closely. I have my checking account automatically drafted and when I receive my statement the amount received, which is the statement amount, is always different from what is shown as the previous balance, so I end up with a small amount brought forward to the next month. A small amount but if this amount is for every customer think of the profits. I requested an explanation but was told, I don't know.

Watch your billing

• Be
      19th of Jan, 2016

Sign up with Directv via website and save $100. That’s $10 per month off your bill for 10 months. Please use my account as I still have 6 open spaces to refer. Copy and paste the link below. Signing up online saved me a ton of headaches. It's the way to go.

Brad Berger account # 3313129
    Zip Code 80403

• Jt
      28th of Feb, 2016

I love refer a friend program. But now at&t has made everything competitive and complicated there one company now or a family yet at&t is making offers to beat referrals so u cam only chose one promotional discount yet being refered by a friend to the cable company has nothing y too do w compeating its one company they shouldn't be making it a option to chose a gift card n all the great offers thry give to be with att not extra services in the same company not alot of ppl have friends to refer bit if they do why not wats the problem they sound like envious be one family y then

• Re
      24th of Apr, 2016

I referred my boss and was told to call with his account number after he activated his service. He activated on April 16, 2016. I called and gave all information requested on April 24, 2016. I was told that because he bundled his satellite service and phone service, we were not eligible for the referral credits. So basically they get a new customer for two services and we get nothing. Scam! Very disappointed. We have been with Directv for over 10 years with no complaints except the expense but now I'm really disappointed and WILL NOT refer anyone again!

• Be
      21st of Jul, 2016

You can use my account number for $10 off your Directv bill.

James Krause