Digitals Future / Bait and Switch Scam

1 2517 86th St., New York, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 8888184721

Searched for a new sony camcorder and found DigitalFuture had the lowest price and a good EveryPrice seller rating. Ordered the product on 2/20/09/ On 2/22/09 got an call from Digitals Future "Robert" and he wanted to upsell me. I didn't have a problem with their attempt, but I was buying the product as a gift, so I didn't want to extend tmy nvestment. They then expained that the camcorder advertise would come with a disposable battery. I confirm that it was the sony product as packaged. We all know Sony would not ship with a disposable battery. I call their bluff and said ship it as is. They then expained it was not the USA version. The product number was the USA version. This is were I realized the scam. Get the customer on the phone, and put on the high pressure sale pitch to fix their low price offer. I insisted they cancel the order. Be careful with this guys!

Comments

31st of Jan, 2009
    Digitals Future - Terrible experience
    digitalsfuture.com

Digitals Future promised a package deal over the phone. When I received the package, it was missing the long life battery, camera case, premium charger and full size tri-pod and there was no packing slip.

When I called, the sales rep emailed me an invoice which had none of these items on the list. I had been ripped off and had nothing in writing.

It's my own fault but I hope by doing this, others will not be taken.

6th of Feb, 2009

oh no. i just ordered something from them and can not get anyone to call me back. i'm trying not to be scammed.

• Da
      19th of Feb, 2009

This appears to be the classic bait and switch company marketing "upsells". I ordered a Canon DSLR on 1/8/08 and got an order confirmation. After about a week, I decided to call to check the status. They then stated they have been trying to get a hold of me to verify the shipping address. After doing so, I got the sales job to try to buy a battery & charger (not included), lens, strap, etc. I declined. I was then told the camera was 4-6 weeks out which I said was fine because I was not in a hurry and I already had the "accessories". Called again last week and the cameras are stuck in customs (BullS**T) and it will be another 4-6 weeks. I have not cancelled and plan on spending more time calling everyday getting updates. Even if they cancel my order, I am going to continue to call and I am sure I will cost more in toll-free calling on-hold than my camera will cost.

Moral of the story is don't order from them unless you have time to waste and really don't want a product.

Here is there "storefront":

• Ki
      19th of Feb, 2009

I don't know about the rest of you, but I got my whole order. The first box only had my camera and lens (no invoice) when I called they were very helpful and gave me the tracking number for my 2nd box that came a day later with the rest of my order. Overall it was their service was great and the price was not to be beaten.

• Om
      26th of Feb, 2009

A similar situation happened to me. I ordered a Nikon 70-300mm VR lens and got a confirmation email right away, but the processing seem weird. I went to the website to track the order status and noticed that there was no page of such. They claim to be working on it. BY THE WAY, when you are ordering from them, your order is not secure and all transactions are non https://. That was my second red flag! saw it too late though.
    So I started getting anxious about it, and I called. The representative made a blunder and ask me what the model of my camera is? my response was how is that relevant? Nikon lens are interchangeable, may not work correctly but they are. He went on to say, I need to order the imported version of the lens. Ha???? first of all, nikon don't make stuff in USA. They make them for the US Consumers. All I wanted was what I saw online on their Website. This is false advertising. When you list a product, add the necessary details especials if we are talking hundreds dollars cheaper than market price.

• Br
      4th of Mar, 2009

I ordered a new camera (SLR Canon XSi 450D) and was contacted by email to contact to verify my order. I was grilled by a sales person regarding upgrading the product. I told the individual (Jeremy) that I was not interested and was told that the product would be delivered in 6-8weeks because it had to come from Japan. I've dealt with this before with www.digitaldirect.com, and www.techondigital.com. THEY ARE A SCAM OPERATION! They bait you in with an advertised price and change their tone when you do not upgrade to a new battery or a warranty plan, etc.

This is a classic bait and switch selling practice and false advertising - they along with these other shops should be put out of business. According to Canon they are no even an approved distributor. How do operations like these stay in business.

STAY AWAY FROM THE FOLLOWING:

shopdigitaldirect.com
    soniccameras.com
    myrtleelectronics.com
    lensesnmore.com
    www.closeoutgenius.com ( GENIUS )
    slrgenius.com
    cellulargenius.com
    receivergenius.com
    navigenius.com
    cameragiantsinc.com

They are all run out of the same place. the same type of scam, advertised cheap price and then just try to sell you expensive upgrades. They tell you that what you ordered has been back-ordered until you say that you decided to cancel your order. Then they have your debit/credit card info. Anyway, just a word of warning. Safe-shopping.

• Tb
      17th of Mar, 2009

Thanks for the warning. I just canceled my order...everything was going just as was noted above. I couldn't get an anwer on the phone call and the tracking on the website was "under construction." Then when they called me I voiced my concern and was told it did take 4-6 weeks because it needed to be imported. The only good thing was that they didn't argue when I canceled my order. (I also have canceled my credit card for safety measure -- a hassle, but good for peace of mind!).

• Nc
      20th of Mar, 2009

Digitals Future is a complete scam company. I ordered a sony fs-100 camcorder over 7 days ago. Called to followup and after a long wait they told me they have a new policy. Digitals Future is a complete scam company. I ordered a sony fs-100 camcorder over 7 days ago. Called to followup and after a long wait they told me they have a new policy. You have to call up an internet order to confirm. Now I know why. They proceeded upon looking up the order to try to sell everything and the kitchen sink. The first was an extended battery, they said the one in the box only lasts 20 minutes. When I declined, they seemed insulted then proceeded to try to sell me a flash card that was incredibly more expensive then the competition which is why i didn't but it in the first place. I declined then they moved into polarizing filter and when I declined he got really pissed. He lastly tried to sell me a USA warrantee. The kicker was after I refused all add-ons is they said shipping would take 6 to 8 weeks. I declined again and felt violated so I cancelled the order. They we're more than happy to oblige because they we're obviously losing money on this deal.

• Re
      25th of Mar, 2009

this is a horrible bad siervice company! not one of the 5 people i spoke with have any good customer service skills. what a scam!

• Bo
      30th of Mar, 2009

The consensus is clear. 99 out of 100 reviews show SCAM. Bait and switch, misleading product descriptions, non-shipping, etc. A neighbor of mine got burned by them and has been returning the favor. During his idle times, he's making calls while driving home or cooking or whatever midless, and takes 30 to 40 minutes placing an order with them, but ends up "changing his mind" at the end of it. He lets them upsell like mad, puts them on hold a couple of times, runs them through 4 or 5 "incorrect" credit card numbers on a now large and tempting order, then ends the call once they are drooling and rabid for his money. He thinks the best way to hit them is in their own crooked pocketbook. Every minute they are on the phone with him, is a minute they can't scam some unsuspecting new buyer.

I wonder what would happen if everyone who had ever been burned by them made a call or two a week to them?

• Ca
      3rd of Apr, 2009

I purchased the package for an advertised New Panasonci Lumix Camera for my son's birthday.
    The camera is not new. Not factory sealed, no protective film on the lens & LCD. The battery was scratched & charged up. I also didn't receive all of the components of the package.
    I am now trying to get return info from them but of course can't get through on the phone. If you have had a similar experience contact the New York BBB at;
    http://www.bbb.org Put in the 888 telephone number & Digitals Future will come up.
    Also go to the NY Attorney General's website & log a complaint.

5th of Apr, 2009
    Digitals Future - fraud
    California

I bought a digital SLR form Digitals Future online a couple of days ago. Believing the deal was too good to be true, I called digital future soon after I made the purchase online and asked if the camera came with a battery. They customer service said that it would arrive with the standard Nikon kit which included the battery. The guy was rude and sounded like a street thug with a below average education . I recieved a confirmation e-mail which requested a call to confirm my order. I also received a phone call for confirmation of my order. I called a couple days later to confirm my order and was pressured to buy a camera battery from the guy on the phone. He told me the battery that the camera came with only lasted for 15 min. A demo battery he called it. I said no to everything he was trying to push and he finally became very irritated and said "maybe you didn't here me!". He then said the camera would arrive in 6 to 8 weeks even though I paid extra to have it delivered in 3 days. In short I canceled my order which I now believe was never real to begin with. "If it's to good to be true it's probably not", definitly applies here. Don't waste your time with Digitals Future.

• Ro
      13th of Apr, 2009

I was shocked to see a Canon 5D Mark II with lens for over $1, 000 less than the best market price. I was so shocked that I got all the way to the credit card page and started shaking my head in disbelief. I believe it was God who whispered, "Don't do it."

So I called. I was placed into a queue until a rather rude gentleman got on the phone. I may be making this up, but I am pretty sure his name was Robert, like the first poster said. I politely asked him why their prices were so drastically lower than everyone else's and if the camera was in fact new and sealed. He told me they can sell so cheaply because they buy in bulk (what retailer doesn't), and assured me that the box came straight from the manufacturer and included everything listed on the manufacturer site and in the specs including the charger, cables, manuals, and software. I thanked him and told him I would complete my order online. Something STILL told me to wait, so I called my Mom. She told me that by me calling her, I was having second thoughts and should sleep on it. I walked away from the computer and came back several hours later. I am SO glad I decided to look up digitalsfuture postings on Google. the first words that came up were "complaints" and "scam". I will spend the extra $1, 000 to protect my identity. I'd deal with the shennanigans if I was getting the actual product, but now I am not so sure.

Thank you for your candor.

• Ro
      13th of Apr, 2009

Oh yeah, check this out as well:

That pretty much settles it for me! These people are SCAM artists!

• Ka
    Digitals Future - Horrible company
    New York
    digitalsfuture.com

This company is a very unreputable to say the least.
    1st -March 11th, 2017 I order a Nikon Coolpix P80 Digital Camera (1) @ $ 179.00 = $ 179.00, this is the lowest price anywhere I did a lot of research ect.
    2nd- I recieved an email to call the company. When I talked to Barry, the customer service rep I was refered to, he told me that it would take approx 3 week before my camera was in the country because it was coming from Europe and as another consumer on this site has reported he tried to upsell me on a battery. I said ship as is.
    3rd- April 13th 2017- I call digitals future's customer service because it has been over 4 weeks and I have yet to recieve any word on my camera. The rep. I spoke with said it was on "international backorder" when I asked when the shipment would be coming in, because back order usually means that it is just held up, he said that they company would not be able to get the product and I could purchase the US version for $289.00.
    I cancelled my order. Hopefully, I never have to hear from this company again.
    Be careful people.

• Bu
      4th of May, 2009

No Doubt these people ARE SCAMMERS
    I ordered a Sony DCR SR 47, ...good price, ...but only $15 cheaper than I ended up buying at Sam' Club, ...The phone agent was RUDE, ..tried to tell me 5-8 weeks from Japan, , ...it said 5-9 business days delivery, ...then he tried to get me to upgrade for $79.99... STAY AWAY from these CONS!!!

• Pe
      6th of May, 2009
    Digitals Future - Horrible company
    digital future
    New York

I ordered a camcorder from this company. A sales person called and tried
    to sell me additional accessories. He was very rude. I stayed with my
    original order, the camera only. 10 days later no camera shipped. So called
    back and they say the camera was unavailable. Stay clear of these clowns. Not
    a serious business.

• Ha
      19th of May, 2009

They are a con operation for sure. I returned my equipment... they refuse to refund $2, 000. Then I said I was going to report them, so he said they would refund 50% while they looked into it. Sent me a FAKE email showing a credit to my CC (that never posted on my account), and now they are not even answering their phones. We are reporting fraud with our CC company. It is a bait and switch operation AND they are so amazingly rude - beyond belief. They are listed with the BBB as having lots of complaints and I feel stupid for not researching them.

• Ha