Digital River / Incompetence, fraud, theft
On 24 March 2009 I ordered IMSI/Design Turbo CAD 16 and Design Tools in response to a promotional email from IMSI. The first thing that went wrong was that the Design Tools, available only by download, would not download. When I reported this, the instuctions I got from Christie O. resulted in "Web Screen Error" after several attempts. I reported this and received the same instructions again from Amber R. Note that there was no problem charging my credit card $99.95 - that process worked flawlessly. More later...
About this time Digital River advised that Turbo CAD 16 was backordered. Is copying software to a DVD really that complicated? In any event, frustrated by the download and now the backorder, I reconsidered and cancelled the order. Just so there is no confusion, the Digital River - IMSI Design site reported "This order has been successfully concelled. Your credit card will not be charged." (http://www.shopimsi.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Master) When I requested confirmation (just call me skeptical!)of the cancellation and credit for my undownloadable download, Tony C. advised that the backordered, cancelled Turbo CAD 16 had shipped. He advised that I would have to refuse the package which entailed a special trip to UPS and that instructions to get credit for my undownloadable download would arrive in another email.
So, several days later when no additional emails or credits had arrived, I wrote the angry email. Subsequently, Ashley R. did credit me for the cost of the software. However, in a final flip of the universal unidigit salute to how much we care, they kept $10.75 for shipping of the backordered/confirmed concelled/shipped/refused TurboCAD 16. I have filed complaints with the FTC, the Minnesota AG and the Oregon AG just on principle.
When you shop for software, be careful who you are dealing with. Digital River does not actually make or market anything - they are just a fulfillment house. As such, their name is not displayed prominently. This is the site for IMSI Design shopping: https://www.shopimsi.com/dr/v2/ec_Main.entry. The tip off you are actually dealing with Digital River seems to be the "dr" in the url. Their billing is similarly obscured using only the initials "DR*" attached to some other name.
More Digital River Complaints & Reviews
- www.DRI*DigitalRiver.com - Fraudulent charges! 
- Digital River Luxembourg - Unauthorized charges 
- Dri*digitalriver.com - Scam 
- Dri*digitalriver.com - unauthorized charge 
- Digital River International Luxembourg - Unauthorized use of credit card 
- Digital River - not sure as I have no knowledge of any order
- Digital River - upgrading nuance dragon mac version 6; wrong product, different from what I ordered, language problem, a simple nightmare
- Digital River - unauthorized transaction
- Digital River - unauthorised credit card charges
- Digital River Ireland Ltd - money taken from my halifax account