Digital & Cover Ltd / Conning old people

1 Podium House, 61 Chapel Road, Worthing, England, West Sussex, United Kingdom Review updated:

These people sent a letter confirming the renewal of a Satellite TV insurance package. They said she had agreed to the cover in a telephone call two weeks before, which she denies. Seems they have taken a client list from a previous company and are passing this client list off as their own. They said that it wasn't against telephone preference to call her, even though she's listed, because she is an existing customer. The company was incorporated in 2010 but she cancelled a policy she had with a similar company in 2008.
Two people I spoke to one was Stephen who called me pathetic when I asked them to cancel and then hung up. Later I spoke to Jason who said he found nothing wrong with Stephens call and the the problem was probably down to my 83 yr old Mum. How's that for customer service.

Comments

• Ol
      15th of Apr, 2012

This is a "carbon copy" of what happend to my 89 Year Old father. I contacted the "Company" and informed them that my
    Father could not have supplied his Bank Details, on the date quoted, as he was unwell and further more does not know his
    Bank Account details, as he is house bound, my Brother and I look after him, including his Bank Account !
    When I rang up and questioned this, so called, "Company" I was told the Direct Debit had been cancelled and that I had not been
    present when they called my Father and obtained his Account details . When I informed them of my opinion of the "Company" I was called a "###" . Hope that was recorded for their Customer service "Training" !

• Tr
      5th of Sep, 2012

Two days ago I received a phone call from this company. The guy on the phone told me that he was just letting me know that the company's terms and conditions were changing and that I would be receiving an update in the post in the next couple of days. I told him I had never been a customer of D&C...he then let out a huge sigh and told me I had been a customer since 2009 and was still a customer today. This morning I received a letter which states "Dear ******* We have accepted your Direct Debit details and would like to confirm that they are correct. Please check the details below, including our payment schedule." It then goes on to give an old bank accounts details which I closed at least 5+ years ago. Luckily I am not an ageing person and am not easily confused. Also luckily the bank details are correct but no longer used and so I do not have to worry about them taking money from me that I have not agreed to. How can this company get away with this. At no time did I agree to them starting a schedule of payment. It makes me so angry that company's can get away with this sort of thing.

• Ia
      18th of Sep, 2012

My story is exactly the same as above. The phone calls trying to confirm bank details, which I refused to do followed by the letter saying they had set up a direct debit. When I phoned i was told I had made a payment for a years cover in September 2010 and they no longer accepted yearly payments, but this is untrue. The man I spoke to on the phone was extremely rude and totally unconcerned when I told him I was going straight to the police (who were not particularly interested as no money had yet gone out of my account). They must have got the bank details from a previous company which went out of business and I am sure this is the same people starting up again with a new name.

19th of Oct, 2012

I have today received a similar call. The guy was most dogmatic, insisting that I had cover with D&C although I kept telling him that I hadn't. Eventually he said that he hadn't called to argue so I said goodbye and put the phone down. He called back (pretty hard-faced as I though I'd almost been rude the first time). He started to say that their terms and conditions had changed but I cut hime dead saying that I although I'd once had such a policy with another company, I'd canceled it a few years ago and I hung up. I hope that this is that laast I'll hear from them. If they have picked up my account details from anpther company can they actually set up a direct debit withput my permission? Surely not?

19th of Oct, 2012

Checking with my bank, confirms that they cannot set up a direct debit without my signature although if they had my card (debit or credit card) details they could take a payment but fortunately they don't. Nontheless I will check my account regularly for any such direct debit and cancel it immediately should one appear I could then get the bank to reclaim the mony and refer the matter to the police.

3rd of May, 2014

Have just checked my old bank account, I changed 2 years ago but still keep the old one going for convenience, and I discovered 4 Direct Debit payments to Digital and Cover. i have not even spoken to them so I assume my details have been passed on by one of their previous companies that I had a policy with that I cancelled having discovered it was not quite the cover that they indicated . I also had a policy with Centico and this again I think is linked to these people. I was paying £12.50 a month for appliance cover and when I tried to contact them to add another no reply from either phone numbers or any response from their email address. Checked it online and it was again a scam.