Diamond Resorts International / hotel / white sands beach club menorca

1 United Kingdom

I am submitting my complaint to advise you about our holiday from hell at one of your hotels in Menorca called White Sands Beach Club. My family and I booked our holiday to enjoy a half term break with our two young boys. Little did we know that the holiday would be our worst holiday ever. We arrived there on Saturday 27th October to be told that we couldn't check into our apartments until 4.30pm which was just ridiculous as we had been travelling since 3.30am in the morning and all we wanted to do is check in and relax. It started to rain very heavily so I went to see a lady called Isabel at reception and asked if there was anyway we could check in earlier as we were getting wet and our boys were tired. It took almost 2 hours for her to finally agree to find another apartment for us to check into. The following day we experienced severe weather and even had a mini tornado and was left with no power and electricity. The staff im the hotel did not update us to let us know what is happening. My husband and I had to go over to find out information. We were left with no water or electricity. I had to go over to reception to ask for a bottle of water and a torch as my boys are afraid of the dark. For almost 3 nights we were left with no power. The reception staff were not very accommodating and did not know offer to bring in any food or offer water etc. We were left with no food as all the restaurants and shops were closed in the area. My poor children were left to eat crisps and stale bread. Not once did anyone apologise about the lack of service we received. The staff were rude and abrupt at times when we asked why there wasn't a generator here to get some power just like another hotel nearby. I feel we wasted almost £2, 000 on this nightmare holiday. The staff couldn't made things easier, I appreciate natural disaster's are beyond anyone's control but having a back up plan would've been far more effective. They had no measures in place for this as this had never happened before . The reception staff didn't seem to care that my children had no food or drink. Can you please look into this and offer us some sort of refund on our holiday? It is just not acceptable to be treated this way.

• Updated by Hena Birring, Nov 09, 2018