Diamond Resorts International / relinquishing my timeshare

After my husband passed away almost two years ago, I was left with unsurmountable debts and notified Diamond Resorts that I could no longer pay the dues and wished to relinquish the property back to them.

I never received any word back from this request except to receive more than six phone calls requesting maintenance fees that were due and two letter threatening me with legal action. They do not care about the client. They only want to collect their precious dues. If you ever attend a timeshare presentation from Diamond Resorts, do yourself a favor and do NOT attend. They will hassle you until you either buy or try to keep you occupied with every available sales person and take away precious vacation time from you. These people are vultures!!!

Comments

• Pa
      17th of Feb, 2010

Ms. Dulin,
    Our Chairman and CEO Mr. Stephen J. Cloobeck would like you to email him at; stephen.cloobeck@diamondresorts.com

• Mr
      3rd of Apr, 2010

My family is going through some difficult financial times. I tried to pay the maintentance fee (which has increased so much since I purchased my timeshare) in payments after the the due date. With my mother's passing and an already limited budget I proposed to pay the fee but in 3 payments. They responded by reading from their scripts. I asked to speak with someone who can make a compromise but was received with the same robotic script reading. So I agreed to pay an exta one time late fee of $50 and then an additional interest fee, that's it. But instead, they added an additional fee more than the first time. When I asked them about it they said, "oh its not a late fee its a collection fee." Wow! This is what you are dealing with at DRI. I do not recommend purchasing anything from them. I will sell my timeshare for a few dollars and rid myself of DRI once and for all.

Mr. T

4th of Apr, 2010

Mr. Torres,

If by some divine chance some fellow poster came across and solved your issue from this post, you would have been a recipient of a miracle.

However, if your situation is important enough to you, please email me at;

Cordially,
    Patrick

• Mk
      9th of Apr, 2010

I purchased my timeshare in Las Vegas in January. My husband and I were newly weds (1 day). The timeshare is in my name - I am a full time student and work 12 hours a week. We were told with the monthly maintenance fees we could, throughout the year make larger payments as to not have to deal with one large sum. However, I just receieved a bill for over $800 due in less than 30 days.

Also - I am paying about $3k a year with annual and monthly fees. When booking a vacation I realized it was going to take 4000 points for a week. Then I went to the website of the actual hotel - and realized I could book that room in the hotel for $587. Because I only have 3500 points a year, I am essentially paying over 3k a year for what is a 600 dollar vacation. How does that sound reasonable?

When contacting Diamond for some answers, I was told I could use my points to pay the annual fee. HOWEVER, all 3500 of my points is only equivalent to $175. Crazy.

We should never have been approved for this in the first place since I don't make more than 200 a month. We were lied to during the presentation, we were lied to when signing the contract (page 7, 14c) states that we will not be subjected to additional punishment other than the termination of our membership and loss of money we have already paid. That is fine - we just want out. Whatever we have to do, and no we don't want to file bankrupcy, die, or wait until we are 75 to make this happen. Nobody wants to buy our timeshare because most people are in the same situation as we are. To much money and not enough benefits.

3rd of May, 2010

Dear MKV,

Please send me under separate correspondence at; patrick.duffy@diamondresorts.com your membership number. I will be happy to look into your situation.

Cordially,

Diamond Resorts International

• Ro
      1st of Jun, 2010

Rodriguez Family

I am in the same situation most people are in with Diamond Resorts International, this is the third year we have the timeshare and we could not find availability in any of the hotels they advertise . It looks that timeshares were over sold for the amount of rooms available to members, unless you agree to go to the south pole in winter. Until now it is hard to say much about DRI since for three years we could not enjoy what we were promised, all I know is that the membership is for life and you can not cancel it even though it is payed, and every year dues have to be payed without a benefit, with that money you can have a week without having to pay purchase membership. If I have to go back in time I would not consider this timeshare.

2nd of Jun, 2010

Dear Rodriguez Family,

Permit us the opportunity to assist. No one who is reading this can solve this issue except you, me and my staff. Please contact me at;

patrick.duffy@diamondresorts.com

It will be a pleasure to both clarify, assist and accomodate you.

Patrick C Duffy

4th of Jun, 2010

Just typing their name on google came back with all the negative things. I had signed for their thing just 3 days ago and I cancelled it today after reading the horror stories. I am glad I read the terms and conditions carefully after I got home.

4th of Jun, 2010

Dear Paul_SJ...

If I can help to expedite your cancel, please permit me the opportunity. Sometimes these products are not suited to everybody. That is why we provide cancellation periods for each purchaser.

With 450, 000 owners and members, there will always be a percentage of users that are not comfortable. We're happy to accomodate you.

• Ro
      30th of Jul, 2010

I have the same issue with Diamond Resorts.

We have 2 timeshares with them and when we tried to book reservations it was full. They told us they are booked up to 2 years in advance.

Maintenance costs keep rising. This is not fair.

We do not want our timeshares anymore and are trying to sell them or give them away. We tried to return them but they do not take them back even if it’s free.

crv

1st of Nov, 2010

We have the exact same expereince. We have tried to cancel but DRI's response is: "You signed and you can't get out of it unless you die or become bankrupt!!"

An excellent example of DRIs dedication to customer satisfaction.

• Ka
      8th of Nov, 2010

My husband purchased a timeshare for $24, 000, 2 weeks every other year. Six months after we purchased we tried to book 2 weeks and were told that they had no availability for 2 weeks. We finally managed to find a window of two weeks and on the last day of our vacation my husband was hospitalized and diagnosed with terminal cancer. I called DRI and asked if they would keep our deposit and cancel the contract and I was told there was nothing they could do. The other two times I called to book two weeks I spent hours on the phone with DRI trying to find availability. We have never been able to use the timeshare on the dates that we preferred. Their customer service representative states that there is no availability. The fees continue to increase. The 2010 fee notice was received October 1st and is $2366. When I called to ask if I could make 4-5 payments I was told that the fee is due in full by 1/1/11 and that they will not accept payments after the due date. They give you 60 days to pay! We were told that we needed 24, 000 points to stay 2 weeks. When I tried to use 12, 000 points toward the assessment I was told the value is only $500 for 12, 000 points.

DRI are crooks. They tell you one thing and after you sign their 50 page contract you find out that you did not get what you purchased. If you don't bank your points by June of each year you lose your points. I have tried for six years to find someone that can help me get out of this contract. I paid $900 to a company that assured me they could sell my timeshare and in 5 years not a word. After reading all of the complaints it amazes me that the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Protection is allowing DRI to continue lying and taking advantage of thousands of people. I will continue to post complaints and spread the word that DRI is operating a scam.

8th of Nov, 2010

If I were you Katherine, I would simply not pay them. I believe that their ludicrous maintenance charges and poor availability put them in breach of contract. I am sure that they will send threatening letters (as they have done to me), but most contracts need to be balanced and fair. Theirs is neither. Essentially they have taken significant money from us all for something that actually has negative value (no market for the points). What do you call that kind of behaviour legally?

It seems that the bigger the scam, the longer you can get away with it. This requires a Government agency to take on DRI. The average owner does not have the resources. In my view Government is failing us all with DRI, they should be looking into this.

• Va
      16th of Nov, 2010

DRI is a big company and is operated by "LEGAL Thugs" basically they have their legal dept figure out how they can rob and steal legally from thier members. If you look at you annual fees you will find one is called maintenance and the rest are assesments, taxes and owners association fees. Their legal Dept is good at finding the loopholes in your contracts so your vacation ownership is worthless (when they are done with it) and then thye get to "Leagally" cheat you out of your hard earned $$$ and make it impossible to sell. If you default they will gladly steal your deeded property (which you paid in full) and resell it to some other poor smuck at some "6 hour long" 90 minute presentation.

This member robbery has worked well for them for the past few years and they have damage control being handled by a very pleasant Mr. Duffy oh I mean customer service, sorry Patrick. If you have not been asked yet to respond offline directly to Patrick, you are not making enough noise or give it a little time he will invite you to contact him directly. Drop him a note he does seem to be a nice guy, even though he won't talk to me anymore, as I have anger issues.

patrick.duffy@diamondresorts.com

DRI is TOP HEAVY and that is why your fees are so much... Personal opion, but very plausable as they lump those heavty salaries in to their "MANAGEMENT FEES". The resort where I own a deeded week (did not sign up for DRI Points) went from around 950, 000 dallar management cost in 2008 to 2, 500, 000 in 2009. DRI's response to the 150% hike in cost was that the resort was paying well under Industry standard managment fees. no real justification, spin it anyway you like DRI is ripping you off...

Vacation Owner
    Keep posting complaints about DRI someone is listening...

• Va
      17th of Nov, 2010

Hey Bakers

It's my personal oppinion, but I think the ludicrus fees are funding some DRI executives exit strategy and we the abused members (not by choice) will be left footing the bailout... again...

Vacation Owner

17th of Nov, 2010

The continued silence from Mr Duffy on the question of the application of maintenance fees does seem very suspicious I admit. They certainly are creaming in a huge amount of cash in maintenance fees. Come on Mr Duffy, break your silence and explain in simple language what is going on. How much do you spend per typical appartment per week in maintenance. We know what you charge us... what do you spend it on? Do you wash down the walls with angel tears and scrub the floors with powdered unicorn horn?

• Di

Hi all
    We are having exactly the same problems in the UK. Diamond resorts are phoning every day with an automated system based from the US to hassle complaining owners into paying their maintenance fees. They are now threatening us with debt collectors. All are meant to push us into paying but are producing the opposite effects. What a sad bunch of conmen!
    However, I feel this is simply the desperate death throws of a redundant system attempting to squeeze as much out of its victims before it collapses.

Dear Dicko...

Sadly, you are currently in a personal financial spot now. One that Diamond Resorts has not placed you in, in your entirety. For however long you have been an owner, you have no doubt held up your financial responsibilities. Like all other current members, who use the product, pay the fees on the agreement they signed and enjoy holidays and vacations annually.
    Unfortunately, for whatever reason has befallen you financially, Diamond Resorts is not the root cause of that. If we can assist you in bringing your responsibilities current we would be happy too.

• Ci
      22nd of Apr, 2018

@Patrick Duffy I am a diamond owner but it was not Diamond when I purchased it. Diamond does overcharge for maintenance fees to the point of seeming like legalized robbery. If this was a legitimate organization with what you consider to be a good deal why is it you don't resell them for owners of just let us give them back to you?

• Di

Dear Duffy
    What are you talking about? I am in no financial spot - never been so well off. Got a joint income of £80, 000 and NONE of it is coming your way.
    Have you read back what you have actually written? It does not make sense! Do you actually read what your ex-owners are saying? I can get the "product" cheaper from a travel agent so why pay maintenance fees? The "agreement" was signed under false infomation that amounted to misrepresentation - why do you employ salesmen who tell lies to entice people to buy your "product".
    Don't flatter yourself - DRI would never be the root of any of my problems. However, it is a problem to many many pensioners and widows being shafted by your organisation's 54 year debt. Shame on you!
    I will repeat - Timeshare is dead and it was suicide - scam owners and their thug lawyers killed it with their greed!

6th of Dec, 2010

DRI are arrogant, ignorant and greedy. Not to mention morally corrupt.

I agree with you Dicko, Partick should hang his head in shame to be associated with DRI. I am amazed that he has the front to even keep writing on this thread.