DHL / dhl driver stole my package

1 San Francisco, CA, United States Review updated:

DHL STEALS PACKAGES

San Francisco, CA 94114
US
www.dhl.com/us

DHL IS THEFT!!! I shipped my Gibson Guitar via DHL on 12-04-2007. Their driver came to pick it up but the weird thing was he took my guitar and left nothing for me to track and left. I called their costumer service to find out where is the guitar. GUESS WHAT, THE DRIVER REPORTED that he DID NOT PICK UP ANYTHING!! could you believe that!?

Then I called everyday to their CS service, and their representative always says: Oh, there will be somebody call you back in an hour..." BUT NO ONE REALLY CALLED ME BACK!!

The most ridiculous part is everytime they would tell me without the "TRACKING NUMBER" , they could not do anything about it. WTF, the driver just did NOT give me one!!

IS not it a simple logic problem?

Ok, then i still keep calling and emailing them. Someday, a guy named KEITH replied:

2007/12/18, DHL Customer Service <CustomerService AT dhl.com>:

Dear Yu-jing Wang,

Thank you for contacting DHL.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. Our records indicate that the shipment was lost in transit due to DHL handling errors. However, I request you to contact the shipper who is the authorized person to file a loss claim.

If I can be of further assistance, please advise.

Thank you for using DHL.

Keith

DHL Express

OK. good news isn't it?

THen i faxed my claim form to their claim department. No response AT ALL.

SO I call the claim department. Very funny, they told me without the TRACKING NUMBER, they will just throw away my claim form.

WTF, then I explain this whole thing again.

But the guy is like a machine and repeating:"i am sorry, without a waybill number, theres nothing i can do. Please contact our costumer service".

I was so upset and i emailed to the KEITH guy who sent the claim form for me. I asked him to help me explain this issue to their claim department. here is what he replied:

On Dec 29, 2007 11:56 AM, DHL Customer Service < CustomerService AT dhl.com> wrote:

Dear Yu-jing Wang,

Thank you for your reply.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. Unfortunately, I am unable to pull up the information you have provided, please get back to us with a valid tracking number of your shipment so that I can assist you better in this regard.

If I can be of further assistance, please advise.

Thank you for using DHL.

Keith

DHL Express

"

WTF! Is it some kind of a joke?

Everything is just back to the BEGINNING.

Guess i will lost the 969 dollar GIBSON GUITAR forever!!

Va

Comments

• Sp
      18th of Oct, 2008

I work for DHL customer service and I have a few comments about this.
    When you ship, there is a waybill attached to the package.
    If it is in 3 layers, you as the shipper keep the top copy.
    If its just a label, then you need to write down the tracking number.
    The tracking # might also be referred to as the awb or waybill #.

As the shipper you do have some responsibility for knowing how the process works. If you have a question, call DHL customer service and ask before you ship. Or take the package to a nearby shipping center.

If you call customer service without the tracking #, the rep will attempt to locate the # using the "zip to zip search". Using the zip of the sender (you) and the zip of the receiver. Also need to give the date of shipment.
    Or, if it is less than 7 days since the pickup, we can look up the pickup. After that the system doesn't keep a record.

If DHL didn't pick it up, then its not in the system and so won't honor a loss claim.
    I don't know what to tell you about the driver. They don't nec have to give you anything, because you have already noted the tracking # as mentioned above. Did you leave the package at the front door for pickup, or did the driver knock at your door?
    Did you witness the driver picking up the guitar? Did the driver use the scanner at pickup? If left at your front door, Is it possible it was stolen by some passer-by?

I'm sorry you lost your guitar, I would be angry too. I see you post is pretty old; I just wanted to give you an idea of how it works from my side.

Speedy