DHL / outright corruption

1 Suriname Review updated:

My brother recently posted 90 DVD'S which was his personal collection from the UK to Suriname as he was emigrating here.
Total cost was 68 GBP ($135) Personal used items do not carry an import tax burden as I and many friends know having imported many personal items in the past. The DHL guy turns up at my house in his personal vehicle in the evening demanding $900 import tax! After being told to whistle he then managed to "get us a discount" - $450. We agreed thinking we would pay and then send the items back out the country and claim the tax back. No chance he turned up with the box without a single piece of paperwork! He was then sent away to get the paperwork and upon return arrived with a handwritten scrawl on an unofficial piece of paper. He then admitted that there is no official import tax on the item and that "people have to eat" and so we will have to pay! Calling the local office we were told that it is a customs issue and that is Suriname but when challenged that if that was the case we would have to clear the items ourselves and would get official documentation ( I import items for 6 companies weekly) I was asked - "do you want the things or not?". I am going to bury these thieves or at least the local office.

Comments

• Mj
      24th of Dec, 2010

They are corrupt.
    I had a box come to China and it showed on DHL tracking that it was in Canton ready to come to me then DHL sent the box back to DHL Shenzhen office were they then said customs is holding and the value stated was too low. They then told me if I wanted the box I must write out a new higher total which they taxed me on (100usd). Their office told me one total and the dilivery guy calls and says it is 50 more! They also said they can not provide an invoice for all this as well. My sender in the US says he spoke tyo DHL office there and they said for sending the box back it could take 3 months. They are unbelievable! Do yourself a favor and never use DHL, they are racketeering.