DHL / Bad service

United States Review updated:
DHL might more appropriately named DHB for DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH in awaiting delivery.

I made an online purchase from a vendor who has a warehouse located about 25 miles from me in NJ. DHL picked up the order that same day, then delivered it to a hub in Allentown PA. Somewhere along the way the merchandise was broken and returned to the vendor. Their online tracking service stated it was delivered to me and signed for.

DHL never satisfactorily answered my queries about what was happening, and the vendor wasn't much help either.

Finally, a replacement shipment was made and, according to DHL's tracking service, was to arrive the next day. Instead it went to a hub in Iowa where the tracking service said it was received, then sent out. Nothing!

The second shipment seemed OK, but it had been mistakenly sent to Iowa by truck and was now on a truck back to NJ. It will arrive in about a week.

I don't know if it will or not, but I will heretofore check to see if vendors use DHL. If so, I simply won't order from them.
Va

Comments

Sp
  18th of Oct, 2008
You say:
"Somewhere along the way the merchandise was broken and returned to the vendor. Their online tracking service stated it was delivered to me and signed for."

The tracking should clearly say it was returned to sender and signed for by an employee at the original company. What you are describing is somebody's misinterpretation of what happened. If its damaged in transit, then its returned to sender. That should answer your question. If you want to know "exactly" who is responsible and "exactly" how it was damaged in transit, unfortunately, nobody will be able to answer that.

You say:
"...Instead it went to a hub in Iowa..."
We don't have a hub in Iowa. Our main sort facility is in Wilmington Ohio. I think you are referring to that.

You say:
"Finally I was able to speak to a live person who told me the shipment was damaged. I finally got them straightened out, and they realized it was the FIRST shipment that was damaged."
If you read the 1st tracking # (the damaged/return to sender), then the rep will tell you what happened - which you already know. Each time the company ships to you they will use a new tracking #. Read the 2nd tracking # to find out the status of the new shipment.

Most of us in customer service are competent and will truthfully answer your questions. If the customer is all freaked out and not giving us accurate info, then we can hardly assist them. You say you straightened out the customer service rep? If you were talking to a stupid rep - good for you! If you were talking to me - I would have straightened you out.
Asking for a supervisor will get you the same information from a different person.

Sorry about all of the problems, if you had called me at customer service, I would have told you the truth and saved you numerous callbacks.

PS: I do love DHL = Don't Hold Your Breath. That's a good one. I am on a DHL employee board and will share it with my coworkers. :)
Da
  7th of Aug, 2010
I have sent a crate from Beijing to Berlin 3 weeks ago. I called DHL in China to make sure that they would deliver the crate to my office that is the back house second floor (and not only to the front door of the building) since I had a car accident and cannot carry anything. I also called DHL Berlin to ask the same information and both confirmed that I would receive the package directly at my office on the second floor.

They called to say that the package would arrive between 9 am and 12 am on Friday and again I made sure that it was going to be brought up since the only person in the office on that day was a small woman. I was told yes, it will be brought up.

The DHL man came and said he could not bring the crate up since it is too heavy and that she would have to find a solution herself. He left the crate outside in the back house. I called DHL and they said someone was going to come back and bring it up. At 12 the first woman had to leave so I paid someone else to come and wait. Every 2h I would call them to ask when they are coming. I was always told they would come but it might not be right away. I even said that two men should come since it real heavy but I was then told that if the driver managed to bring it to the front door alone that he will manage to bring it up 2 floors alone.

At 18 h the other woman had to go so I had to come in the office and wait. I called DHL to say I have dinner plans if the driver can arrive soon and I was told to wait and someone would come soon.

At 20h I called again and a very rude man said no one will come because the working day for the drivers ended at 18h and I have to find a solution myself.

To make an even longer story short I had to wait outside (at night) until I finally found 2 guys big enough to pay to bring the crate up. (I waited long since it was raining hard and bringing two strangers to my back office when I am alone is not smart). I was done with the hole thing it was 23h.

Since then I have called DHL 14 times and I always get the same answer someone will call you back today or tomorrow. It has now been 2 weeks. I also wrote 4 emails and not one single email reply. I guess they are waiting until I forget about it. Plus it cost money to complain by DHL. I have just calculated my Skype cost calling DHL and I am now at 30 euros. Here is another great way for them to make money.

Today is the first time in my life that I put something up in a forum as a complaint.

I am so tired of being ignored and I will not stop until I get fully reimbursed.

DHL Express Logo DHL Express