Dhaka Zia International Airport / Goods lost from luggage

1 Bangladesh Review updated:

I depurted from Blantyre, Malawi on 2nd July 2008 via Johansburg and arrived on 3rd July at Dhaka Zia International Airport. My luggahe was lost which reference No. was 19357.

Then I informed from Dubai that my luggage has arrived. I have collected my luggage on [protected] but there are some goods was missed. I reported about my missing goods. But no body is communicating with me about missing items. I tried to communicate with Emirates Baggage section by Tel No. 8916112 mant times. but no body pick up the phone. At last some One Mr. Salauddin pick up the phone. I talk with him about missing goods. but he completely denied about missing goods and misbehaved with me. I have the written documents with missing goods from the Airport.

My question wheather I would recive my missing items or compensation for it?

Pls inform me immidiately.

Thank you.

Mohammad Ali

Comments

• Re
      23rd of Sep, 2008

Your case is a typical instance of baggage mishandling.

The first step you should have taken after noticing anomalies with your baggage was to report to the agent who handed the bag to you at DAC. He/she should have endorsed the nature of mishandling and with your air ticket and receipts from the missing items, or a completed Baggage Claim Form, initiate the process of claim in accordance with Airline procedure.

Baggage with contents missing is weighed and the received weight is subtracted from the checked in weight recorded in the air ticket. It is the missing weight that gets compensated. This is done BEFORE the bag leaves the airport.

You do not indicate how the bag was delivered to you, although I suspect you may have collected it yourself at the airport.

There is still room to make amends, though. Your right to claim is still valid, as long as you lodge a complaint within two years of the journey in which the mishandling occurred. My suggestion is; write a letter to the Senior Claims Officer (or some other designation of seniority) at the headquarters of the flight that had taken you into DAC. State your case politely and truthfully.

Include the following items in your claim:

i. the used portion of the ticket of your journey
    ii. any documents related to the missing item and the value
    iii. the full routing of your flight from Malawi
    iv. baggage check (claim tag) for the mishandled bag
    v. list of the missing contents

You should expect rejection or some justification for reduced compensation figure (they will point out the flouting of procedures) but don’t give up. You may also refer the matter to the Airlines’ Insurance Services Manager.

Good luck