Dex Online / Be careful before signing up for a Quest Dex Phone book add

1 3190 S. Vaughn Wy. 6 SouthAurora, CO, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-422-1234

Be careful before signing up for a Quest Dex Phone book add, they will try to trick you into signing up for a lifetime agreement which is difficult to get out of.

As owner of AAA Computer Repair, I am reporting that Quest Dex used trickery to enter our company into a lifetime agreement of charges. A Quest Dex Representative, Wallace, called us and talked us into having a phone book add in the Dex phone book. He came to our location and signed us up in a package deal for advertising in the 2008 Quest Dex phone book, claiming that we would get a lot better deal with the package, which included internet advertising. Quest Dex is no longer supplying a phone book for 2009 in Lincoln NE, yet a year later, we received another bill on 10/9/08 from Dex in the amount of $240.00 for internet advertising from 9/26/08 to 9/25/09.

We never signed up for any advertising with Dex for 2009, so I called them to remove the internet advertising of our company. I talked to Bernadine, AND THEY REFUSED! They said that by having a signing phone book package deal, it entered our company into a lifetime agreement of online advertising that they would not cancel. They were then were nice enough to e-mail me their “Terms of Agreement”, full of small print legal work.

Why this is fraudulent in nature:
1) This is called black hat sales trick & ‘Gotcha’ fine print.
2) The contract signed clearly states, “Contract start date: 9/20/07/Contract End Date: 9/19/08” under “Internet Products”. For the paperwork signed to say the contract ends will end at 9/19/08 and then for a separate “terms of agreement” to contradict that, makes the contract fraudulent.
3) Being that all we wanted was a phone book add, when it says, “I have received a copy of and read the Dex Media, Inc terms of agreement”, the signer is under the impression that the sheet of paper he is signing is the terms of agreement, not some other unknown document that was hidden from the signer.
4) The Dex salesman did not inform us that we were signing a lifetime contract, but to the contrary told us we were signing for a 1 year phone book add.
5) The Dex salesman did not give us, ask us to read, or even inform us that a separate “terms of agreement” document existed.
6) From my understanding, a legal document is only applicable if both parties sign it. The Dex salesman did NOT sign it, or date it.
7) Unlike a phone book add, our add in DexOnline can be removed at any time. By locking us in for a year, and not allowing us to cancel, shows their product to be a ‘Gotcha” tactic, instead of something that has value.
8) All legitimate service companies (AOL, Time Warner, Windstream, ) allow cancellation over the phone. Quest Dex will bill me every year for the rest of my life unless I write up and mail them a legal document to some PO. Box in Illinois. They won’t even cancel the online add for 2010, 2011, 2012, ect over the phone. They sent a representative here to talk us into their lifetime contract, they should send a representative back for cancellation.
9) Quest Dex has an F rating with Better Business Bureau. Web page (Denver office): http://denver.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx?site=33&bbb=0885&firm=15159

Company involved in fraudulent activity:
Quest Dex
3190 S. Vaughn Wy. 6 South
Aurora, CO 80014

Company reporting the activity:
AAA Computer Repair
3720 Vine St.
Lincoln NE 68503

More Dex Online Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ke
      26th of Mar, 2009

I have a problem with them too.
    Qwest gave me a new phone number last December.
    That number apparently belonged to a business that folded.
    Yet Dex Online is still showing that business online and I get calls almost daily for that business.
    My number, which used to be theirs is unlisted.
    Very poor business practice.

• Ca
      2nd of May, 2009

I have always had a great realtionship with my dex person, same guy for over decade? They have always given my great value both print and internet?

• Va
      18th of Dec, 2009

Dex is still trying the same shoddy sales tactics in late December 2009 as well. We also had a paid ad for one year, they called and tried to sign us up for another year, we said "No Thanks" since our business was down and very few calls had actually come in from our Dex ad during the previous 12 months (we always asked how the customer found us).

Dex claimed that we would have to fill out more paperwork to stop the automatic yearly re-billing of our ad even though we had already told them "No Thanks" on several occasions (when they called wanting to re-do our ad from the previous year). They promised to send over the paperwork they claimed they needed to cancel their so-called "automatic yearly ad re-bill" but never did.

Now they are trying to claim that after several months of telling them "No Thanks" we called them and changed our minds (we never called them and certainly didn't change our mind about not renewing any advertising with them) and want $1, 000 for an ad we never authorized.

They also claim that they have "notes" in their file authorizing the ad placement, yet can't produce a single authorization, or a purchase order, or a tape of the conversation where we authorized any re-run of our original ad.

Dex has become a scam of the worst kind. Small businesses are much better off advertising their wares or services using Google or other search engines.

• Un
      12th of Mar, 2013

Anonymous said...
    DEX IS A HUGE SCAM!!! THEY CAME TO MY STORE AND OFFERED US A MONTHS ADD FOR 100 BUCKS WITH NO LONG TERM COMMITMENT . THE MANAGER ANDRE WALKER SAID IF WE DIDNT LIKE IT WE COULD JUST CANCEL IT...SEEMED EASY AND TROUBLE FREE RIGHT? NOT!!! EVEN AFTER THE FIRST MONTHS BILL CAME I CALLED AND SAID I WAS NOT INTERESTED SINCE NOT ONE PERSON CAME TO MY STORE FROM DEX. NATURALLY I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE CANCELLED BUT IT WASNT, BILLS KEPT COMING AND NOW I CANT EVEN GET IN TOUCH WITH THE MANAGER ANDRE. FINALLY HE SHOWS UP AT MY STORE AND I SHOW HIM THE BILLS AND HE SAYS "IM SORRY ABOUT THIS BUT I SIGNED YOU UP AND I KNOW YOU WERENT SUPOSSED TO BE BILLED FOR THIS, DO YOU MIND IF I TAKE A COPY OF THIS BILL SO I CAN FIX IT FOR YOU"? I SAY NO PROBLEM AND THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME RESOLVE THIS. WOULDNT YOU KNOW HE IS SUCH A HUGE LIAR! NOTHING WAS DONE I KEPT GETTING BILLS AND NOW THE PHONE CALLS START FROM THE BILLING DEPT. I INFORM THEM I DONT WANT THE SERVICE AND THAT ANDRE IS FIXING THIS FOR ME. MONTHS GO BY NO WORD FROM ANDRE THE MANAGER, I CALL AND GET FORWARDED TO HIS EMAIL. NOW IM IN A COLLECTIONS DISPUTE FOR 1500.00 BUCKS...ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? DEX IS A SCAM DONT TRUST THEYRE CROOKED SALESMAN, ITS A PATHETIC COMPANY THAT PREYS ON SMALL BUSINESSES WHO ARE TRYING TO PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE FOR THERE KIDS.REALLY DEX? YOUR TAKING FOOD OUT OF A BABYS MOUTH? HOW PATHETIC CAN ONE COMPANY BE!!!