Dex One / Continuing to bill me after I informed them in writing I was closing my account with them.

1 9501 E. Panorama CircleEnglewood CO 80112, CO, United States Review updated:

Telephone [protected]
jonikrose@gmail.com

March 2, 2010

CONCERNING DEX ONE, INC.

On November 13, 2007, I made a verbal agreement with the Dex Representative from Albuquerque for Internet advertising at $40 per month and yellow page listings at $21 per month for the calendar year 2008 only. My records show no signed contract.

However Dex did not follow through on our agreement. My Internet listing never appeared and my yellow page listing was omitted from the 2008 yellow pages.

In February of 2009 I received a bill from Dex for $48.54. I could not figure out what the charge was for, as it simply said "Advertising charge, " and listed two different date ranges, 01/06/09-01/05/10, and 01/06/09-02/28/09. I wrote the enclosed note requesting an explanation, but did not receive any.

About a month later I received another bill from Dex, this one showing an advertising charge of $286.26 for the period 01/06/09-01/05/10. Inexplicably this bill also repeated the $48.54 and added it as an additional charge even though the $286.26 was shown as covering the entire year 2009. The representative I spoke with was unable to offer a satisfactory explanation for the double billing, and added that Dex raises rates any time without warning. I told the representative that I would pay the $286.26, with the understanding that 2009 would be the very last year I advertised with Dex.

When I sent the check for $286.26 for the entire year, I included the enclosed letter, ending with the sentence, "Also note that my contract with you will NOT be renewed in 2010." This is an exact copy of the letter I sent Dex along with the check for $286.26. Since the letter was mailed March 16 in the same envelope as the check, Dex definitely did receive it. I even wrote on the check itself the word "closing, " as can be seen on the enclosed photocopy of the check.

Even after I paid the $286.87 for the entire year 2009, Dex continued to demand, without explanation, an additional $52.08. Regrettably in May of 2009 I finally did pay the $52.08, with a note indicating that this payment was my last one, and that henceforth my account with Dex was closed. To make absolutely clear that I was closing my account I even wrote on the check itself the words, "Closing this Account" right next to my signature. This can be seen on the enclosed photocopy. Hence Dex cannot claim they never received word from me that I was closing my account with them. I could not have made my intentions clearer.

Still Dex continued to send me bills for several months thereafter, as always failing to include any information as to what they were billing me for. I shredded the bills, and eventually they stopped. Yet last month, almost a year after I closed my account with Dex, I again received the enclosed bill from them. I called Dex, but their representative claimed they had never received the note stating that I was closing my account with them. As noted above, they did receive repeated messages from me, in writing as well as orally, telling them I was closing my account with them.

To recap, Dex has consistently provided me with unclear and inconsistent billing, without clear explanation as to what they were billing me for and for what time period. Furthermore they have continued to send me these bills long after I have clearly indicated, in writing as well as orally, that I no longer will do business with them. And when confronted with this fact they have lied and claimed they never received from me the notes, which they most definitely did receive.

From reading the numerous complaints about Dex from small businesspeople it appears that they have been following these unscrupulous practices at least since 2007. Had I known in 2007 how many complaints there had been against Dex I would never have even considered doing business with them. However the company has recently reorganized as Dex One, so now is a good time for them to change these practices and close past accounts without litigation.

In order to resolve this issue it is necessary that Dex acknowledge that I did in fact close my account with them last spring, and that I no longer am doing business with them. It would also be helpful if they would explain the $52.08 I paid to close my account last May, in addition to the $286.26 I had already paid for the entire year 2009. Nevertheless if Dex is willing to acknowledge now that my account with them is closed, and agree to stop harassing me with illegitimate billings, I am willing to let them keep the $52.08, with the understanding that they have no further business with me nor I with them.

Should Dex fail to stop harassing me then I will need to seek a complete investigation, involving the appropriate Federal and State agencies as well as the Better Business Bureau, the Complaint Board, and the media, so that the public can be informed how Dex does business. I would much prefer to forgo all of this and I sincerely hope that Dex is willing to acknowledge that my account with them was closed last year and requires no further payment. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Dex One

Comments

• Fr
      29th of Mar, 2011

I just got off the phone with them because they started billing me after my contract was over. They said I agreed to an automatic renewal over the phone a year ago. I may have but don't remember. They know people will forget. When I received a renewal notice I just through it away because I did not want to renew. They just told me that notice was an opt out notice and I needed to call them if I did not want to renew. I have not received one shred of business from my listing with them.

22nd of Mar, 2012

I would neverrrrrrrrrrrr ever do any business with these peope again !

22nd of Mar, 2012

I'd neverrrrrrrrr everrrrr do anymore advertisement with this company again!!!

• De
      30th of Jun, 2013

I had the same exact experience and then some! 95% of the calls we were getting from their efforts were scammers and telemarketers that were pulling my business information from the published information. When I brought this to their attention I was met with fierce resistance and told I wasn't taking enough action on my part and that I should have told someone about the telemarketing calls earlier. The answers to solutions from there on out were vague at best even though I was asking for specifics of what was being done. I mean come on! If someone is paying $225.00/month for service it is expected that they would have more help than this.

My original salesperson did after several messages and hounding by me come in to address our problems. He admitted there was an issue and described putting a stop on our account until we could get to the bottom of what was going on. Nothing changed and I continued to be billed monthly and even started getting calls from their collection department who had no idea of the issue and really didn't give a damn either. They tried contacting my salesman and have notes on their screens of multiple times they've tried to reach him with no reply. I've had one response so far from the salespeople I started with when voicing concerns. An email reply stating that they admit there was a problem and that I need to speak with customer service about my bill and that it is out of his hands. He also stated on the phone that he was sorry he couldn't move on things faster as he had to get approval from his supervisor who apparently was near death in the hospital(which I do not believe).

On another note, The Dex salespeople that came to my office made what I now view as lofty claims of having these elaborate scientifically based algorithms that will produce huge results and that their history of being side by side with Google is unmatched by many. Many companies stopped by with similar offers but these guys came off very sincere and sure of things...the mark of a good salesman. Admittedly I've been a bit naïve about the whole thing. Should have listened to my gut on it.

People listen up! I've had so many calls from telemarketers that now I turn down our ringer and have to be able to spot the scammers and try and filter out true customers calling in from other channels and I'm still to this day being billed for it. I'm up to $2, 500.00 now and they are threatening me with Third Party Creditors. I have a near perfect credit score, pay my bills regularly, have a great reputation in my community and have never in my life had even conversation with a collections department until now.

Please everyone BEWARE of Dex One!