Destination Paradise / high pressure sale

1 Honolulu, HI, United States Review updated:

We were directed into attending this "timeshare" presentation which we were told was not a timeshare, in exchange for a free gift with a 150 dollar surcharge. After a high pressure sales pitch and the usually greasy used car salesman type hype, we decided to refuse to acquire the service (which was given a 10K price tag!). When this happened, we were made to wait for over 20 minutes (hoping for our gift to be delivered to us); then a larger more intimidating character who was supposedly from the corporate offices in Florida approached our table and offered us a "special offer" with a mere 3000 dollar pricetag for the same package- this immediately started throwing up all sorts of red flags for me.

Thankfully we didn't get talked into the "product" (a flexible timeshare hybrid), with an expensive price tag and annual payments to boot. We were directed to a building across the street to collect our gifts- essentially tour vouchers. When we tried to redeem the vouchers, we found that the booking agency never even bothered to contact the tour group! So we were down 3 hours AND didn't even get the free gift. What a scam! Don't let the street vendors talk you into this.

Comments

• Pa
      23rd of Mar, 2009

DESTINATION PARADISE TIMESHARE SCAM - DO NOT SIGN UP!

My wife and I have just returned from a holiday in Hawaii. During our stay we came across a stand inside the Food Court at Seaside Avenue and were invited to a Timeshare presentation on 16th March 2009 on the 3rd floor in exchange for 2 discounted tickets to the Polynesian Cultural Centre for the Ambassador package at USD 80 (RRP 240). We were advised that there will be no obligation or pressure to sign-up, just turn up to hear about getting free holidays.

There were about 8-10 groups at the presentation which started at 8am sharp. An matured lady called 'Maxime' from NYC did a good presentation. At the end of 1 hour presentation, the sleazy salesman offered us 2 packages, both cost USD 9995 with sign-up fees. It was later reduced to USD 3800 but we weren't interested. Another 2 salesmans came up to our table and reduced it to USD 2000 but my wife wasn't that keen eventhough I was keen about the idea. In the heat of the moment I offered USD 1500 and it was refused and were so glad that my wife stopped me from being so enthusiastic about the offer as it turned out to be a scam.

BE WARNED about sleazy sale techniques. Now that I have time to reflect I'd like to share with you my views on this issue:
    - we have made it clear to the Salesman that we know nothing of timeshare and asked to see the Contract - that was refused!
    - they said they have been in business for 30 years which is a liar
    - the Salesman tried to talk to us about the weather and good things about Hawaii to distract us about the offer.
    - we asked for the demo of the real site and this was refused.

My advise to people who are thinking of going to Hawaii and happened to have read this article then make sure you are not talked into signing any offers without thinking it through or taking further advices from friends or families before making any commitments. You are there to be on holiday so don't be fooled into sleazy sale technique.

On a good note, we did get the discounted tickets for the Polynesian Cultural Centre in the end. The tickets had to be collected from a travel agent across the road.

Also, do not hire Chrysler Serbring or Dodge cars as it turned out to be a tourist trap where gangs will break into your trunk at shopping malls and beaches right under your nose! Our rented car was broken into TWICE at the parking lot at Ala Moana shopping mall and at the apartment car park. We have lost our camera and Camcorder which we have just bought after the wedding (total loss USD 2000). It has been known to the Police and gang members that there is a manufacture fault with Chrysler Serbring car where car thieves can open your trunk through the keyhole within seconds using a tool...

• Ne
      26th of Apr, 2009

Thank you for the tip about Chrysler Sebrings. We just returned from a week in Wikiki in a Sebring with no issues.

Unlike the first poster we did get our VERY discounted Polynesian Cultural Center tickets. $10 each for the $88 Luau package.

Don't fall for the sleezy sales techniques and we made $150 in under 2 hours!
    Neill

• Wa
      8th of May, 2009

We to were approached by destination paradise on the 4th May 2009.
    So my partner and I went to the senimar. We were promised great coffee and food as well as discounted tickets for a snorkelling tour. The coffee was SH1t and there was no food. After the senimar we told them that we would look on forums about destination paradise and contact them back. We were immediatly shown the door. We did get vouchers for the tour but they did not book it in. We rang the company direct and booked it in ourselves, the vouchers were honered. Sorry for anyone who got trapped by these scammers, I was searching them to find out good things about this mob but alas no luck.
    Warwick

• Pa
      20th of Aug, 2009

We got suckered into this SCAM July of 2008. We purchased the $8000 package and have not been able to use it once. There is never any availability and the rare times that there are it is in an unpopulated area away from areas tourists usually visit. Additionally, if you google the places they do have available in these isolated areas you will find nothing but derogatory remarks regarding the resorts they offer. For example we tried to book a resort in the Bahamas. The ONE they had available was pretty much held up by a kickstand alone. If you blew on it too hard it would have fallen over. I googled the reviews on the resort and there was an average of 1/2 a star on it.
    This company is a complete joke. We ended up booking a condo on homeaway.com (which is fabulous). They got us with the same scheme and line. We had to sign up before seeing any inventory. DO NOT EVER DO THIS! I have called them and complained endlessly. They dont care and once you sign on the dotted line there is nothing you can do about it. We are stuck paying on this "license" we cant even use. We might as well have stuffed $8000 into a bag and thrown it out the window. If anyone knows any legal loopholes please advise! If I didnt care so much about my credit I would let it go and not pay them one damn dime.

• Rl
      12th of May, 2010

My husband purchased pack age from some travel agency in San Antonio Tx under
    name of Good Times travel ...big scam too ...after several complaints from other people place shut down and is now...Paradise Destinations...wandering if they
    are affiliated in any way...also used Outrigger Vacations and Fun Planet Vacations
    offers a promo which we have had a hard time with...sorry we purchased package
    have had a hard time reaching personnel, etc. always answering machine or promise for
    call back...seems like they might all be connected. I f any comments email me or
    husband: naomibarrera@gmail.com or blarzelere@satx.rr.com

Thanks N Larzelere

• Je
      5th of Jun, 2010

on may of this year i was phoned about a free holiday with extra stuff added on and all i had to pay was 290.00 d0llars... i called them back to refuse the offer after they had taken down my credit card number, which i was pressured into and i said i had no money for the deal, found out later they still used my card to get at some of the money they wanted from me...! don't let this happen to you, i;ve since cancelled my card and such but the money i probably won't see again. they called me at work, for all this info and stuff... do not give in to there little sceme they just want your money and nothing else... j.s

• Lu
      19th of Aug, 2010

Just tonight someone called t from PARADISE DESTINATIONS" in San Antonio, TX, offered us some kind of vacations plan. I was very lucky to have my PC on and Google it ...THANKS " Disgustedwithscam258"... for your advice...it was very handy. :) I hung up with good basis.

30th of Aug, 2010

Yes I agree all of these so called promotional gifts suck. I have received them fro car dealers, Timeshare, and even my cable company. But the sales offers that I received were sometimes good and sometimes just not interesting. I guess my point is that you get what you pay for and with most of these gifts the stated cost is nothing so you really don't get much. As for all of your comments about the Vacation Club, my wife and I joined one of these several years ago and it was one of the best purchases that I have ever made. We paid $4000.00 for our membership and recouped our investment in our first 3 vacations. Now I am not familiar with this Outrigger club that you are talking about, our club, Grand Vacation Club has provided excellent service and savings on Condo rentals and cruises. The two things that my wife and I do. It sounds like most of you are just wining about the FREE gift that has lots of restrictions, this is what I find when I search for comments about companies like these. Get over it guys the gifts suck. Spend the money, buy a membership and travel the world for pennies on the dollar.

John Conner

• Hv
      25th of Sep, 2010

Thanks for all of your comments! My wife and I was called yesterday and have an appointment this afternoon. After reading this, we will go do something productive with our time!

H Williams

• Vi
      14th of Oct, 2010

If they promised a product, but can't provide it...wouldn't that be a lie? A scam? A fraud? Is it worthwhile to sue this company altogether? It seems they are getting away with it since years...and more people have become victims.

I read about our common complaints, but I don't see any solutions posted...except reporting to the Attorney General. How frustrating.

If by any change you are a well educated lawyer and you know how to handle this, please post it here. Many people will be very thankful to you.

• Jk
      15th of Oct, 2010

Dirty Rotten M*ther [censored]ers

• Bl
      17th of Jan, 2011

We were lured into this scam in the August of 2008. The same high sales pitch ending up with a $10, 000 package .. reduced to $7000 for the day. We got excited about it - although didn't want to sign up.. so as we were getting up to leave .. we were offered the package for $2000.
    As everyone says, never used it ONCE .. the site is a complete joke, no destinations/resorts ever available and the ones that are .. are unheard of .. or have bad reviews and locations.
    One year later, i got charged the yearly $159 amount for the membership (not sure what it is now in 2011) and i disputed it with my Credit Card company and got it back. 2 weeks later i got a call from Destination Paradise that my payment is due and i need to provide a new CC.. i immediately told the calling person that DP was a scam and everyone knows about it and how dare they ask for more payment.. she quickly said ok we wont disturb you and hung up and that was the end of it.
    I've cancelled that credit card and have no more of this joke and scam in my life. Like someone said, might as well put $2000 in a bag and throw it away!

• Wy
      6th of May, 2011

We are from Edmonton, Alberta Canada and bought this package in 2009 and have used it twice and have had an excellent experience. I don't understand these vicious complaints. We were dealt fairly and professionally. Sure, the sales pressure was high but you didn't have to buy. There was no problem with the dinner cruise voucher we got. We paid $5000 for the pkg. and with the two holidays we have taken so far we feel that our original price has been almost paid for by the savings. The places we stayed at were absolutely georgeous.(Kanapalai Beach Club) Not something we could afford at normal prices. Sure, it takes some patience to book your holidays but the savings are worth it. We've always had good customer service if we needed help from the head office.
    It seems some of the complaints are from people who have never even tried to book a holiday. So far we have been very satisfied. We previously had a trial timeshare with RCI that had so many levels of ownership and stipulations that it was basically useless to us.

• Md
      27th of Aug, 2012

We were sadly suckered into this at $2000. For years we would always look for a place to stay and could never find anything. Finally an unexpected opportunity for short term travel came up. We looked at the short term rentals and found a few that looked just okay for $399 for the week we figured we might as well give it a try. Each offer we clicked to buy kept coming up as unavailable. Then we accidentally clicked a resort we didn't want and of course that one went through. It states to call if you have a problem immediately. We did, no one was there we left a message. When we spoke to the representative she said that we were supposed to hit a certain extension for an emergency (this was not on the recording). Now they will not change it to the location we wanted. The best part, if you were to book this on your own through expedia or hotels.com it is essentially the same price!! Total scam please avoid at all costs.