Destination Movers / WORST MOVERS

Miami, FL, United States Review updated:

Please don't use this company.
I reserved my July move one month in advance. I was told I was going to get a call from the driver a day in advance to set a time of pick up. I got none, so I call the office. Max (suppose to be manager), told me that he'd call me back with the time. Basically, after playing phone tags, he game me a wrong time of pick up anyway, and he gave me the driver's phone number. By 9pm, I thought I was going to be stood up, and I had to vacate the property so someone else could move in the next day! They didn't show up until 9:45pm! After he loaded my stuff, he informed me that the price had gone up (triple of what I was quoted!), including $500 in packing??? So, being in an impossible position, and being afraid (there were 5 of them and it was after 10pm), I agreed.

I had been promised by Becky (since then she left) that my items were going to be delivered 5 days later in DC (I was moving from Atlanta). Instead, the driver calls me 3 days before the earliest available day I was prepared to received the stuff, and the day I had agreed with Becky, and tried to deliver my stuff. Interestingly enough, he was very interested in whether I had cash, or whether I had put "destination movers" on the money orders. Well, I wasn't prepared to receive the items, so said no, that he would have to deliver when I had agreed with Becky. Then, without advising me, he proceeded to place my items in a undisclosed location storage, and started to ignore my calls. I called that Monday, when I was supposed to get the stuff, and I repeatedly got the run around by Max, Anna, the driver (I think his name is Reuven), and everyone in the office. Anna (the dispatcher) told me several times that my stuff was on its way (for sure) in a couple of days, but nothing happen. I was told that my stuff was placed in storage because the "truck got rerouted", but I got no explanation why the original set up date was not honored.

I kept getting the run around for weeks. I had to start my new job with a couple of outfits that I just happen to bring with me, nothing at all, not a chair to sit on, nothing, and they didn't care at all. They continued to tell me how they had 21 days, but never mind they never told me that in advance.

Eventually, one day Anna and Max tell me that I'll get my stuff within the next 7 days. After the 7 days passed and I got nothing, I called the driver who supposedly "just happen" to be in the vicinity of the storage unit, went to check it out, and found my stuff still in there. (remember Anna told me it was on its way, a week ago). Anyway... so the driver said he loaded the stuff and asked me again if I had "cash". When I told him I did, he agreed to load my stuff and deliver it the next day.

When they arrived, (I had to lose a day of a very important training week that my employer paid thousands for me to take, making me look like a jerk) the first item they delivered wasn't even mine. The rest of the stuff was ok, but I just can't believe how much they overcharged me and how clueless and careless they are with customers.

I have reported these people to Federal authorities, and I would encourage all of you guys who fell victims of these people to do so. Write to the Department of Transportation office of the Attorney General, the FBI, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration [protected]), the American Moving and Storage Association [protected]), and the better business bureau (I found that they've had over 60 complaints in the last 36 months!)

Please don't let these people get away with these kind of behavior! take action!
Ja

Comments

An
  27th of Oct, 2008
My situation was quite similar to yours and I was working with Anna as well, who kept telling me the exact same thing she had told you that it was on its way. She kept telling me that she could not tell me where my stuff was exactly so I was mostly left in the dark. the movers who were delivering my belongings did sort of the same thing wanted cash only and they also told me it was not there problem anymore and that i had to tell Anna to fly my stuff personally to my house. I later found out my stuff was in a storage unit in phoenix had i known that i would have used that money to go and rent a u haul and pick it up. the driver told me he wanted an extra $200 because he claimed he had tried to stop by but i told him that was a lie because i am home 247 so they dropped the $200. I did not receive all my belongings either. I had only received some and 2 items that were not mine, but the driver insisted i take it because it had my sticker on it. I saw the back end of his truck and the thing was packed all the way to the door full of stuff. Things were looking misplaced all over and my boxes looked like they had been run over about 20 times. luckily nothing was broken. I had contacted the BBB and later come to find out they closed me case due to a lack of response from Destination movers but it was placed on public record. I agree something needs to be done and i just cant figure out how to do it.
e-mail me with some ideas if you have any.