Destination Movers / Extortion and Load Hostaging

1 20442 NE 15th Ct. North Miami, FL 33179Miami, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-620-8646

Attention everyone that has had any problems with Destination Movers- please contact me immediately. A group of us are gathering to make sure they stop their illegal practices.

We CAN do something about this. They are violating major federal and state laws and regulations housed under Department of Transportation, Consumer Protection, FBI, etc...the list goes on. They can lose their DOT license for engaging in "load hostaging" which is, in fact, a mover providing an estimate than refusing delivery unless twice, three, four times as much is paid in cash. This is ILLEGAL and they need complaints filed against them to the DOT. Also, the FBI investigated a case in 2004 involving 74 moving companies based out of Florida for the same crimes. They prosecuted all of them.

I, too, have had the same experience with destination movers, with pick-up, delivery, threats to throw my things away if I didn't show up in a different state and pay cash because they don't accept credit card, rudeness and bad customer service, etc. This is extortion. PLEASE email me. Individually it is difficult to fight them, but collectively we can show that this is standard and methodical criminal operating procedures on their part! Thank you,

jessica

Comments

20th of Jul, 2008
    Destination Movers - Extortionists
    20442 NE 15th Court
    Miami
    Phone: (866) 620-8646
    www.destinationmovers.com

To sum it up I was quoted a price over the phone and explained that they would need me to cover my mirrors in bubble wrap and wrap my couch as well. The young lady told me that the price included packing and wrapping the bed. I did as she asked and when the movers came they charged me an extra $1273 for extra items and packing. I agreed to pay for the extra items but didn't want to pay for the packing I did noit asked for. After taking my things I was asked for a tip and to take up my complaint with the manager. I called every day for 2 weeks before getting him. He gave me a $129 dollar refund only! I asked for my things to be returned he said it was already gone and would be ready on the 29 of May. On that date the movers were not ready and said they could not deliver until june 9. I asked to be informed of a time 24hrs in advance he called a the day before late at night and could not give me an estimated time. He was aware that he would be delivering at a storage facility (Public Storage). The mover called me after 6pm when the storage facility was closed and I could not move my things in. He then tried to charge me an extra $300 dollars over the phone. I spoke with him as well as the manager and he agreed to move it that morning and not charge me. The driver got lost and went to another public storage. I had to go get him and he followed me back to the storage facility. He then tried to charge me $300 again. He refused to give me my things then took the money and left my stuff in the street at PS. PLEASE REPORT THESE PEOPLE TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU. There are many complaints about them around the web we need to do something about this!

• Ry
      5th of Aug, 2008

The same thing happened to me - load hostaging, full payments needed up front, 20+-minute hold times. I will work together with Jessica to take Destination Movers down and help prosecute to the full extent of the law. Please contact Jessica as I have, and let's make this happen.

Ryan

6th of Aug, 2008

customer was not a pick up location, after agreeing to the service she wanted a straight delivery the next day, the additional charges are for only 400 for the long carry and stairs that the movers broke their back. customer is lieing about information, harrasing us with 15 emails a day, the driver saw her picture in the house with a head of a human being on a plate and the customer ready to eat.discusting and abnormal. according to the contract we have up to 21 business days to deliver. customer did not even give a chance for us to deliver. all services are accodring to the order for service provided to the customer. we advised the customer to pick up her items, we never held items hostage. thank you for reading DM manager

• Va
      6th of Aug, 2008

Same Here Please Contact me on my on my email and we can group together and bring this crook down. I have already Complained to County Police and they are investigateing.

Srinivas

6th of Aug, 2008

Reuben or Max- whichever one of you wrote that...my story is the same as many. And I'd be careful about slander since 1- you don't know what I look like, 2- it's my husband's condo before we met and there are no pictures of me there, and 3- even if I did have a photo of myself eating a human head, that doesn't give you the right to engage in extortion and fraud. It also doens't explain why "employ" vulnerable immigrant populations and exploit them without paying them or providing decent wages and work conditions per US labor laws.

Nice try, though.

6th of Aug, 2008

RE ebbeler: nice try with the immigration, we are all legal, maybe your not, but the driver did see the picture, and i would more than happy to see you in person as your threatning email that you sent me. customer just wants a free move. thought he hired a mama papa moving company.

6th of Aug, 2008

RE Srinivas Kolli : i dont know why you are complaining, all paperwork was signed by you and a binding contract was drawn up at your request. you are awaiting delivery. all charges are according to contract. your a crook trying to get in on the lawsuit try to make en extra buck. we are a proffesional moving company if we were not we would not be open for more than a year already. bbb certified. no matter what we can not satisfy everyone. i understand today's economy is bad, but dont take it out on us.

GENERAL INFORMATION
    REGARDING HOSTAGE LOAD SITUATIONS ON SHIPMENTS
    MOVING IN INTERSTATE COMMERCE
    A carrier has a lien on the property it is transporting for freight charges and any other charges lawfully
    incurred on that shipment. The lien is specific to that shipment, however, and does not extend to other
    shipments which have moved under other bills of lading. Thus, a carrier may withhold delivery of a
    shipment until all charges relative to that particular shipment are paid. The carrier may not, however,
    withhold delivery of one shipment to enforce the collection of past due freight charges on another shipment.
    When a carrier does hold one shipment hostage to force the payment of freight charges on another
    shipment, it arguably commits the following offenses:

6th of Aug, 2008

just a quick note before i gather all of my personal story on these LIARS...you state "we are a proffesional moving company if we were not we would not be open for more than a year already. bbb certified. no matter what we can not satisfy everyone. i understand today's economy is bad, but dont take it out on us." have you even been to your own website? at http://www.destinationmovers.com/about-us.htm you proudly emphasize your 10 years of "dedicated moving experience"...interesting...
    "Our Values begin with fair, open, and ethical behavior" LIE
    I only highlight a few statements but the rest is there to read and LAUGH at your leisure, as any of us who have dealt with you know how completly false these comments are...I leave you with a personal favorite from their site..."Destination Movers guarantees every job—no matter what the size. During our initial consultation, we'll go over your expectations and communicate your specific concerns and needs. At final consultation, if you are not completely satisfied, we will address any issues you may have and guarantee that your expectations have been met 100%." HAHAHA...i am so pissed off right now

7th of Aug, 2008

Max and Reuben's BUSINESS PLAN that was the business plan of 16 other companies that was INDICTED by the DOJ in 2004. http://www.fbi.gov/page2/march04/moving031604.htm

And guys- you've been operating under the Destination Movers name only since Decemeber 2007. You had to shut down the shop on your old moving company before that because you had too many BBB complaints. This time when you rack up too many complaints, though, the lot of us that were victimized by your company are going to make sure you don't open another company again.

Keep up the libel, though, MAXIM BOHADANA AND REUBEN SHMUELI. It only helps our case and shows how unprofessional you are.

And Max and Reuben- we also are in touch with ex-employees of yours that will gladly testify against you and your illegal labor practices- asking if there's any cheap Mexicans in thea area? Also- careful what you say on the phone to people. You never know who is listening, and it is also illegal for you to share personal information of your customers with others. Did you happen to share my information with another customer over the phone? Thanks for making this a slam dunk case :)

7th of Aug, 2008

Destination Florida...but I’m in Michigan!

I have a contract with Destination Movers right now. They were supposed to pick my things up from California on the 22nd of July 2008. They didn’t show up until the 25th of July.

I am going to keep much of what has already happened to myself for now. I will post a full review after I get all of my belongings, or what’s left of them.

“Erika”, the person who sold the job to me, told me it would be 4 or 5 days to deliver, it’s now 14 days later.

I called them today (again) and they said my belongings have to go to Florida for “sorting”, and then they will ship them back to me in Michigan.
    In my eyes, sorting means that they are going through my things!

Anyway, I have much to complain about already and would like to join this lawsuit IF all of my items are not delivered and I feel they won’t be.

I’m going to have someone videotape the entire delivery - I promise. From the time the truck arrives, to the time they leave, the camera/cameras will be rolling.

I do know how to share videos and I will make it public for all to see (good or bad) :)
    I will mail a copy of the entire dvd or dvd’s to anyone who wants to view it in its entirety.

Good Luck!

Michigander-

I understand your desire for privacy until you get your things. In the meantime, there are many of else who can help you with advice and support right now to make sure you do get your things! We won't disclose your identity to anyone beyond the group, and if you want your name to remain anonymous, email us from a different address without your name in it. We aren't just going through the legal route. Some of us have had (somewhat) succesful experiences in at least getting our things back in a more timely way or less money extorted...I encourage you to talk to us so we can help you. Even if it is anonymously.

If not, only talk to them over email so you have documentation. Make as many written requests for your belongings as possible via email to document it.

Good luck,

Jessica (jessica.ebbeler@gmail.com)

8th of Aug, 2008

Also- Michigander- check out Destination Movers complaints on /link removed/ There are 20 other stories. You will see how your things will be handled and treated, and you will know what to expect as far as being asked for more money in cash if you want your things, and even though you will have damaged goods and missing items. They are counting on you to back down right now to get more money out of you. Whether you back down and do what they want or fight back, your things will still be damaged and missing, guaranteed. They don't care.

• Pr
      8th of Aug, 2008

Please note, I have a friend that just recently had the exact experiences that all of you have shared. She is so upset that she has to write her own comment once she pulls things together. As you can imagine, items are several damaged and missing. The move increased $3000+ from the original quote. The funny thing is she has a whole family of attorneys! Actually, very high powered attorneys. Destination should really watch there every move because they are being watched by investigators more than they think so. Have they ever thought about a secret shopper :) We look forward to teaming up with everyone to ensure that this business is closed. Hey, has anyone noticed that Reuben ect...can not spell and he speaks of such professionalism! It's also very odd for a company to even respond through somewhat of a blog, especially discussing a customer's business (that is a red flag right there).

FYI...when I read about the Isralian, the overcharges, the time of the moves, the damaged and missing items and the tip stories, I just could not believe that I was reading EVERYTHING that my friend told me as well. She actually cried to me her experience, this is why I know that this is much more serious than Destination knows. If I were them, I would close up shop and run! Because we're all coming to get them!...Thought some humor could help :)

10th of Aug, 2008

Update:

Spoke with Max...again and he assured me that my items will arrive in 3 days, unharmed and complete, this was 2 days ago. So my items should be here tomorrow (unless they mean 3 business days). Today is day 17 of my move.

Thank you all for the advice - I’ll keep you posted. By the way, my video camera is charged and the second battery is charging.

-Michigander

• Je
      13th of Aug, 2008

Michigander-

Did you get your things delivered? Please update us and get in touch with us!

Jessica 202-669-8275

14th of Aug, 2008
    Destination Movers - Fraud and scam
    www.destinationmovers.com

Destination movers is a prime example of a Bait and Switch con artists. I am in the military and was stationed in Tampa. I decided to relocate to New Jersey. I called this company and was lulled into their sweet talk and claims of taking care of the military. I was quoted a DETAILED price of $1, 200.00 with everything included. on the day of the move i was faced with a rude supervisor that started tagging on extras for a total of $4000.00. I had no choice since i was due at my new assignment in 2 days. They guaranteed delivery within the next week and wrote the date on the contract! It is now 3 weeks later and no sign of my belongings. They said that the fine print states they have 21 days to deliver. when asked what happens if they cant deliver within the 21 days they said "we might give you a discount if its our fault". I asked them who else's fault could it be. they aid weather and truck breakdowns are a few.

I am disgusted and am contemplating legal action as well as writing the attorney general in both states.

Beware!!
    Sgt Jennifer M.

• Al
      14th of Aug, 2008
    Destination Movers - Worst company EVER!!
    destinationmovers.com

I hired Destination Movers to move my 1-bedroom apartment from New York, NY to Dallas, TX. My scheduled pick up was for Sunday June 29th, 2008. I paid for "full packaging" and only had use of the elevators in my building from 1:00-4:00pm. Because of this, the driver was instructed to be at my apartment before 1:00pm. I was contacted on Saturday June 28th, and was told the movers would be at my apartment at 12:00pm the next day. The movers did not show up until 8:00pm, though!!! And the reason was not because of “traffic delays”, but that the driver was scheduled to do another job the same morning in Boston, and didn’t even KNOW about my job until 12:00pm that day. This was extremely poor planning and lack of communication from the beginning, because if the driver has a job in Boston in the morning, there is no way to get to my apartment by noon the same day. I was never contacted to be made aware of this issue, and I spent the entire day waiting, playing phone tag with the company, and wondering when they would finally arrive.

When I booked this move, 'Yvonne' assured me that by paying extra for “Straight Delivery”, my items would arrive in Dallas three days from the time of pick-up. I have e-mails documenting this conversation. This conversation was the SOLE reason I even hired this company for my move. I had 10 other movers I could have used. Destination Movers was not the cheapest price, and I had other quotes for a 4-5 day delivery time, but their quote assured me the shortest time frame, which was a mandatory factor in my moving process.

After the movers left my apartment on Sunday June 29th, I was under the assumption that my items would be en route to Texas the following morning, since that is what I agreed to. However, that was not the case at all. For whatever reason, my items were taken to a storage facility in New Jersey and were just sitting there. I was never contacted with an update on timing, as I was told I would be, and wasn’t even aware of my items where-a-bouts until I called the company myself to get an update. Then I was told it would take up to 21 days to deliver my stuff, which was complete unacceptable because I was leaving the country for two weeks on July 6th and needed my stuff!! Because Destination Movers did not do the job I hired them to do, I had to hire another moving company to pick up my items from their New Jersey facility. They couldn't pick up my items until 5:30pm on July 2nd, because Destination Movers REFUSED to give me the address of the facility. No one was being helpful to me, and it took the entire day for me to finally get it out of someone where my items were being held.

This new moving company took an inventory of items upon pick-up, and when they dropped off my items in Dallas, I cross-checked their inventory list with the inventory list I was given upon pick-up. One big item was missing, however, and a few items were broken. First and foremost, I am still missing a queen-sized padded leather headboard worth $1, 500, which was never picked up from their warehouse. This headboard is still missing to this day! And the company refuses to help me or have anything to do with it. In addition to the headboard, my TV was broken along with a broken table and a broken stool (all because of the poor packing job).

Upon pick-up, I paid the Company $1, 270. This was for 50% of the entire service they were supposed to provide me; however, far less than 50% of the service was completed. I was willing to pay for the cost of packing my items, and removing them from my apartment, but this service cannot cost anywhere near $1, 270. I have tried to contact Destination Movers multiple times to discuss a reimbursement for the service they did not provide, however they refuse to speak with me. In addition, they overcharged me for “Packing”. In the quote I received, I was told “Full Packing” was $278 (I have an e-mail documenting this), however the total cost of packing ended up being $708 somehow. Yvonne described “Full Packing” as follows: “The full packing includes the movers packing everything as well as the supplies of materials.” Therefore, the movers overcharged me for this service. Again, I tried to contact the company to discuss this, but no one is willing to. I even had packed a lot of items on my own, and used a lot of my own boxes since I had 8 hours to spare while I was waiting for the movers to arrive! Basically this company provided the worst customer service possible and made my life hell for the past month.

My contract was broken in every way possible, and they refuse to do anything about it. 1) The job was not completed. I paid extra money for “Straight Delivery” which I was told meant 3 days, but in reality was apparently 21 days. 2) I paid extra money for “Full Packaging” versus what was quoted. 3) The movers were 8 hours late for their scheduled pick up time, after the company assured me that the driver would be there before 1:00pm. 4) I was told I would be given constant status updates with pick-up and delivery times, but I was never once contacted by the company, and I had to call myself every time. 5) Extremely poor customer service, as no one was willing or able to work with me to resolve the issue, and I was never offered a single apology for the apparent miscommunication and extreme inconvenience they caused me. It was almost impossible to get a hold of anyone at the company, and when I finally did, every person had a different story to tell me. NO ONE should ever use this company!!!

I am in the process of trying to find a laywer to help me get justice with this company and the situation. If anyone out there knows someone who has helped them, or thinks I have a good case, please let me know!!

15th of Aug, 2008

Hello Jessica and everyone concerned,

I am “Michigander” and no, I have not received any of my items yet, nor have I received one single call from the company. Today is day 22 of my move! I call them frequently and get a different story as to where my things are and when they will be delivered, so I’m going to call them again today and see what kind of bull I get this time.

My video camera is charged and ready to go…if they should ever arrive.

I’ll write more when I find out what’s going on….although; I think we all know exactly what’s going on here.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

16th of Aug, 2008

RE: Jessica Ebbeler is a crazy, selfish and rude customer that is trying to make a quick buck of the moving company, we gave her things back with out even charging her a dollar, she was never even at the pickup location.she is the big scam and ### artist i have ever seen. you got your stuff and did not pay so back the f off