Destination MoversAwful experience

1 Review updated:

I moved from Savannah GA to Oceanside CA this month of June. I had a quoted itinerary of less than $1, 000 for my stuff to be shipped door to door. Destination Movers were two days late picking my stuff up on a scheduled day, and did not submit any paperwork to me whatsoever upon taking my stuff. A few days later I get a call from a man that can hardly speak english (unlike the receptionist Erika) saying that I owe them $1500 instead of the original quote because of extra packing...

Upon Moving, I had agreed to the one month free storage, being informed that at any time, when i was ready - to call them and schedule a delivery... It took me many 20 minute waiting sessions being on hold to speak with Erika, Yureem, Max, among others to get to the bottom of where and when my belongings would be delivered. I had asked to speak to a supervisor on many occasions, coming to find out that all employees claim to be that person on any given day... I scheduled my delivery 3 weeks in advance... I actually had to upgrade my phone plan just because of the hassle of being put on hold with these same people... getting the same runaround about 'the truck broke down' but 'we don't know exactly where it broke down at'...See Top 10 Worst Companies in North Miami, FLWhen they finally arrived at my home, a day late from their 21 day max limit... many of my belongings were missing and the ones i received were broken. Before they would even unload anything, the man demanded &75 hard cash before he would unload anything - according to their over 75 feet rule... My contract specifically stated that the first 75 feet, and first flight of stairs come at no charge... I was forced to pay it on the spot by him even though i showed him my contract...
I saw inside of their truck - people's possessions were scrambled on top of each other broken just like mine. I was nice enough to tell the Russian non speaking delivery man, that half of the stuff pulled out of the trailer was not mine... they were very disgruntled people and i can say it was a very unpleasant experience for anyone to go through. I myself like the people who filed before me, will be calling the Florida Attorney General Tomorrow. These people, Destination Movers are a rip off - scam artist company. I feel the need to pass along the word and report it so that others don't have to go what i have been through. They took hard earned money from me, and half of my possessions aren't even worth keeping now. Among the things that weren't delivered - I'm fighting against this company so that others won't have to deal with the misfortunes I and others have had to bare...

Comments

• Mi
      Aug 03, 2008
    Florida
    Phone: [protected]
    destinationmovers.com

Misleading Consumer About Moving Costs
    Destination Movers were deceptive in their presentation of moving costs. On 6/17/08, I had spoken with the customer representative, Becky, about the total square footage of items to be moved. Although she had been professional up to this point, I was forced to call her repeatedly as she had made errors in the estimates. After an exchange of 4 emails, Becky had sent me a final price of $1236.90 for 248 sq feet of furniture. This was considered “a binding estimate.” I agreed to this total and signed the computerized contract.

The movers came to my family’s house on 6/21. I had already left for California at that time so that I would be present 5 days after the movers picked up the furniture. The movers told my brother (who was present at the house) that the total square footage was 350 rather than 248 feet after the items were already packed. The estimate did not seem accurate as the apartment in San Francisco was only 650 sq feet in size. The total ended up being $2129. This total included $384 for “new packing” for a total of 32 items. Only a mirror, 4 pictures, and a sofa had been “repacked.” Due to the fact that the furniture had already been loaded on the truck, my brother had little choice, but agree to the sum of $2129.

Our moving items were finally delivered on 7/26/08. While discussing the charges for delivery to San Francisco, Becky had told me during the initial booking that the first flight of stairs is free. Here is an excerpt from the electronic contract:
    Stairs: The first flight of stairs will not be charged. Each additional flight will be charged at $75 per flight.

Upon delivery of the items in San Francisco, one of the movers, Renee asked for $225 to bring the items up from the first floor to our second floor apartment. When I objected, he agreed to carry our articles up for a “discounted” $150. He stated that “a flight of stairs” was considered to be 7 stairs. The apartment was considered to have four flights (the three steps leading into the apartment=1 flight; 14 steps=2 flights; flat landing=1 flight). I agreed to pay the $150 as Renee would not bring the items up to the apartment without this sum.

Misleading the Consumer About Time of Pickup and Delivery
    Destination Movers told me that the delivery time would be 1-14 days during the month of June (a “busy month” per Becky). The contract sent by email and signed by me said1-21 business days. Here is the section of the contract for delivery cut and pasted into this letter:

DELIVERY TERMS:
    1. Delivery schedule for the same regions are 1-14 business days.
    2. Delivery schedule from the East Coast (from or to) the west coast are 1-21 Business Days.
    3. Delivery schedule for all other regions are 1-14 business days.
    All delivery times are from the earliest date that you are able to receive delivery.

On the day of pick-up in North Wales, PA, we were told that the movers would come by 10 am. They showed up at 730 pm. Our items were stored then placed in a storehouse, and Destination Movers failed to address any of consumer’s concerns from the period from when the furniture was picked up to when it was delivered. We were placed on hold for periods ranging from 10-45 minutes after calling the company about a date of delivery. Upon being asked for a supervisor, the consumer was again put on hold. The supervisors, Max or Ruben, would have different excuses such as “the truck is broken, ” “trust me, you’ll get your stuff, ” and “you will get your stuff in 21 business days.”

Destination Movers delivered our items five days past the 21-day delivery promise stated on our moving contract (picked up on 6/21 and delivered 7/26). The movers were scheduled to arrive at our apartment at 2:00 in the afternoon, but did not arrive until 8:00 p.m. The moving truck in which our items arrived was packed in a haphazard manner, with furniture and boxes thrown on top of each other (See attached photos).

Negligent and Unprofessional Care of Household Goods
    Upon picking up the furniture items from the house in North Wales, PA, the movers failed to establish an inventory system. All boxes had my original labels, which I had provided myself. Some items were repacked and no labels were applied to the outside of these boxes. Consequently, the delivering movers on 7/26 spent 2 ½ hours locating the items. One of the items, a framed picture that had been a family heirloom, was completely lost. I was called down to help them located my items buried within their truck of other peoples’ belongings piled haphazardly upon each other (please see attached photo). In their search for our furniture, the movers also caused significant damage to items belonging to other customers. At one point, one of the movers stepped upon and damaged the air conditioner belonging to another customer.

During the process of unloading and delivering our furniture to the San Francisco apartment, the movers damaged our front door and scratched our wood floor (please see attached pictures). In addition, they caused significant damage to our items and promised us that “this was how we found it at the warehouse.” These items were all in perfect condition when loaded into the moving van from our home in North Wales, PA . The following items were damaged:
    1. Toshiba 19 inch television set—this item was dented caught fire when it was plugged in.
    2. Antique mirror—cracked at top (please see attached photo)
    3. Walnut chested drawers—large chunk of wood chipped off from back (please see attached photo)
    4. Cherry wood dresser—bottom foundation cracked and ruptured—delivered upside down (please see attached photograph).

There was one lost item, a picture frame. The promised to call us the next day, after they located the picture in their moving truck, but they have yet to contact us or return our missing picture.

Unprofessionalism
    The majority of movers with whom I have interacted have been Israeli. The movers have taken it upon themselves to make inappropriate comments to the consumer regarding the religion they have in common. Upon picking up items, they asked my brother whether he had been to Israel. When he said no, they replied, “How come? You’re rich and this should be no problem with you.” Upon delivery of the furniture, one of the movers, Renee asked me whether my fiancé was Jewish or not. Please see above for unprofessional practices when calling about delivery times.

• Ry
      Aug 07, 2008

It's so nice to know there are people out there, especially Israelis, giving Jews a bad name. Of course this could happen with any ethnic group, but still...

• Pr
      Aug 08, 2008

Wow! The same exact story as my friend. However, it should be brought to the attention that this Israeli thing is such a big story that they always want to tell...hmmm? This is vital information that has to be told to the Police/Investigators ect...

• Ra
      Sep 13, 2008
    Destination Movers - threats & extortion
    Destination Movers
    N Miami Beach
    Florida

Same story...different city and state. This company needs to be stopped from doing busines and prosecuted, and I need my furniture (after 42 days from NC to Florida ).

• El
      Sep 15, 2008

hi, i am in a similar situation with a company called schumacher cargo logistics.my household furniture has been sitting in nyc shipyard being held for ransom until i pay fees$1295.00 which occured because schumacher let the container sit for 9 days after customs released it.they are at fault but want me to pay because they seem to have forgotten about it.i am so anoyed after paying $8000.00 to get my furniture here in the first place and i now sleep on the floor, without any help from the shipping company i paid in ireland. is there any help out there.

Oct 27, 2008

I had a similar experience as you did. I too was scammed with a $1000.03 moving estimate from Maryland to Arizona and ended up paying them $1500.00 for half of my belongings. Luckily nothing that was delivered was broken but minor damage was done to a tv stand. Almost all my boxes looked like it had been tossed around and a few had been opened. My laundry basket was filthy had some sort of nasty gunk on the bottom of it and i had received two items that were not mine but the driver insisted it was just because it had my sticker on it. the items I'm missing are
    13 inch tv (tube not LCD)
    Computer (cables, monitor, mouse&keyboard along with tower)
    a single 4 drawer dresser
    comcast cable box (We had agreed with comcast that we were to send it back once we had gotten to Arizona)
    1 cordless telephone
    A foreman grill
    electric can opener
    electric 4 cup coffee maker
    A box full of shoes and 2 umbrellas, scarves, mittens etc.. (Another person who had been scammed by them actually called me about this and said they were sending it to me)
    1 or 2 boxes of books.
    A box full of dishes (cups, plates, bowels etc..)
    1 chair
    1 love seat
    1 twin mattress and box spring.
    the love seat and twin mattress is not a big deal we were going to get rid of them anyway but still was missing.

Had we not been getting evicted from our apartment we probably would have done more homework on Destination movers. Something interesting I found out about them was they originally were licensed under a different name but by 2017 they closed for some reason and reopened in 2017 under destination movers. I had contacted the attorney general about them and the BBB and many other organizations about this and they either refer me to someone else or like the BBB close my case put it under public file and that's it. I'm so sorry that you were scammed just like me and i hope things work out for you.

Andrea Carlson

Oct 27, 2008

To the comment above me Hun i believe it is time to call it a loss with this company. There asking way to much of you money wise and that is not right. what you can try and do is file a lawsuit against this company even try calling the police to see what they can do for you. e-mail a gentleman names Justin Wilson at [protected]@moverescue.com and see what he can do for you.