Destination Furniture / Leather / Bad Business, Confrontational Owner

1 587 Kerr StOakville, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

Our family purchased nearly $5000 worth of furniture from Destination Leather. Here is what happened:

We were told all purchases are made to order and that we would have to wait a couple of weeks. No problem, except the delivery date came and went with no phone call from them. When we finally got ahold of them a week after we were supposed to get our furniture we were told that they hadn't even started making it yet.

Finally when the furniture was delivered the delivery crew wanted us to help carry the furniture in the house ourselves. Then they told us that set up was not part of delivery. We argued and they finally unwrapped it up but wouldn't put it together or even take the wrapping garbage with them saying it was our responsibility.

We discovered that the legs on the couch were a mix of assorted legs and that there was the wrong legs on part of the couch. When we called the owner repeatedly he did not return our calls. Finally when we did get ahold of him, he didn't call us back once, he told us he was too busy to come out with the part and then switched his story to saying that 'it was no big deal' and that we 'should cut the legs to fit yourself'. He then said he would call us back and did not for several days, all the while we were unable to use our couch. Finally we got ahold of him and he raised his voice almost immediately saying 'you don't need legs, its no big deal, just take them off yourself, why are you calling me?'. The conversation devolved into a shouting match with the owner finally saying 'do you think your a tough guy? how tough are you? come down here tough guy'

I was ready to drive to the store and confront the owner but to diffuse the situation my 65 year old mother got in her car and drove to the store and demanded the proper legs for our couch, all the while the owner was going on and on about how tough it is for him and that we were making a big deal out of nothing. Finally we got our legs after alot of stress and aggravation.

Destination Furniture is a bad business that should be avoided at all costs.

Tell everyone to stay far away.

Comments

• Ti
      28th of Jul, 2009

It's funny how much time people waste complaining. Putting all their energy into something purely negative and not positive in any way. Concerning this particular complaint I know of this business and have purchased furniture from it before and will continue to do so. I have also referred many friends and family members to purchase furniture from this business and they have also experienced nothing but friendly and helpful customer service. They must have many customers and were not able to reach you exactly when you wanted. You can't just assume it was on purpose. The world does not revolve around you or just any one particular customer. Especially when you order furniture there are a hundred problems when it is in the production stages that the owner usually doesn't have any control over. So it takes time... and it's obvious that you were not very co-operative either. Any time there is confrontation no matter what the situation it is two-sided. You cannot just pin all the blame onto the other person. So look to yourself before you start pointing fingers. Now you are not only harming someone else's business and source of income that most people need in these hard times but you are harming your own reputation. So even if just for yourself... you shouldn't slander anyone and just move on. If I were the owner I would probably get really annoyed with you as well. haha

• Ti
      28th of Jul, 2009

delivery means carrying goods to you. not garbage disposal or unwrapping. i wouldn't expect anyone to do that for me. you are clearly blinded ... go look up delivery in the dictionary. this is one laaammmmeeeee complaint.

28th of Jul, 2009

more like bad and confrontational customer.

• Mi
      22nd of Aug, 2011

@timing - Its funny how much time you spent complaining about someones complaint on a website called https://www.complaintsboard.com. If you dont like complaints then dont come on here. Get it? Looks like you have nothing better to do than play troll. How sad.

• Su
      14th of Nov, 2011

My experience with this business was a positive one. Every business sometimes has shipment delays that are usually the result of a problem with the manufacturer. Also there is sometimes a lack of communication on both sides. This seems like one of those times. I wouldn't write this business off as 'bad' in any sense of the word.

• De
      21st of Nov, 2011

@ timing - Call any furniture dealer in the city that delivers. They all carry the furniture into the house and take the wrappings with them. It's the industry standard. Sorry to burst your bubble.

• Co
      7th of Mar, 2012

I agree with Mike, I've bought multiple pieces indoor & outdoor from the company and never had a problem. Some companies have delays and its understandable i refuse to believe that the company owner spoke to you in such manner, as all my dealings with him went smoothly and i have never had a problem with him. Nor have any my friends and family members that buy furniture from the business.

• Ze
      7th of Mar, 2012

It's pretty obvious from your responses to @timing that you are confrontational and unpleasant person to deal with. I love the company, and have never had a complaint. I'd recommened this company to everyone that is looking for a friendly environment, and a a great service.

• Un
      17th of Mar, 2012

The complaint is completely valid. I purchased outdoor furniture from this establishment and had a very bad experience. They have the worst customer service I have ever seen! Oh sure they are very nice when buy, but after that they could care less. If you were fortunate enough that the items you purchased were in stock, good for you. Good luck though if anything was missing. I waited for 4 weeks for 2 chairs to go with my patio set. When I called for information they didn't know what I was talking about. I went to the store and they changed their tune, but they told me that they would get back to me early the next week. I took a look around the showroom and found the chairs they owed me. When I brought this up to the owner he rolled his eyes and tried to make some lame excuse. Stay away!!

Never again

• Bi
      10th of Dec, 2012

I was going to write my own complaint about these guys but I read this one and it is very similar to what happened to me. They delivered a cabinet and it was dusty and covered in scratches. Then the owner tries to tell me it was a floor model and I knew it had scratches even though I was told I would be getting a new one and not a floor model when I bought it. I did not want a floor model and made that very clear from the beginning. After some arguing back and forth with the owner on the phone I made the guys take it back to the shop. I got my money back but only after going down there with my brother and having a few choice words with the owner or whatever he is. Way too much stress dealing with these guys and not very good customer service.

• Je
      20th of Apr, 2013

I have no complaints with this company I was very satisfied with the service they provided, I got everything on time and in excellent condition.

• Oa
      4th of Nov, 2014

STAY AWAY!!
    We order three various pieces from Destination Furniture based on input from a friend indicating the cheap prices you get... well, you get what you pay for.
    - We wanted Palliser furniture so our thought was "who cares who we order it from and if we get a better deal here great!"
    - ordered 2 Palliser sofas on July 10th.
    - Went back 4 days later and order a Palliser ottoman and a King Bed. All with a requested delivery date of no earlier than Sept 5th (so they had 6-8 weeks before we even wanted it - No issue says Ahmed!)
    - Sofa's arrive on time and we're really pleased with them
    - at the same time we ask about Ottoman and bed...told they will be a little later as they were ordered later - valid.
    - a few days later Ahmed calls "Your bed is here, come in and pay balance".
    - wife goes in and he also tries to get her to pay for ottoman, ("well you have to pay for it at some point so why not now??" she refuses as he cant provide an ETA ("a few weeks Ahmed states")
    - Bed wasnt there! He wanted the balance and THEN he actually ordered the bed. 10 days later the wrong bed is brought to my door... he then argues that it is the right bed (wrong design and Queen not King size - kinda important).
    - another 10 days later he shows up with another bed...still slightly wrong design but we can live with it. The quality of the bed is complete CRAP BTW
    - I contact the manufacturer of the bed and confirm it wasn't ordered until AFTER we had paid full deposit.
    - As part of the bed arguments Ahmed says to me "You don't look like someone who needs to worry about money so why do you care that you've paid your desposits before receiving your furniture" - ###.
    - 3 weeks after Bed delivery I contact Palliser directly in Winnipeg. Get a call from the ONT regional Manager and am informed that Ahmed did not order the Ottoman until Sept 10th. (again, tried to get full $$ before ordering). Palliser shares other issues with Destination Furniture and gives me every piece of info I need, in addition to personal phone numbers to call with any questions/status requests - Good service Palliser!!
    - Palliser calls me OCt 28th to give me a heads up that our Ottoman has been delivered to Toronto
    - Ahmed starts calling 4 days later (2 times a day) to get the balance of the payment as the Ottoman is now in his store... first phone calls we've received on this item in the 15 weeks since we ordered.
    - Ahmed isnt aware I have been talking with Palliser and when he delivers the piece I ask "So, why did it take 15 weeks to receive?"...
    Response - "Ohhh they dont know what they are doing over there at Palliser... I ordered it when you came in to our store but they dont dont know what they are doing"... I lett him know "I've had 3 conversations with Ralph from Pallliser and I know you submitted on Sept 10th - 8 weeks after we ordered"... he called me names and got rude which I then kicked him out of my foyer.

DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS UNPROFESSIONAL GROUP OF IDIOTS! Sure, you'll save a few hundred $$ but it is not worth the lies and disrespect that Ahmed calls "Customer Service"..

NOTE - 4 weeks after delivered the piece of crap bed frame ripped apart and I had to rebuild with a metal bed frame to salvage - sure we could have fought for another bed but it is just crap product.

We are extremely happy with our Palliser products and will buy again but not from this idiot.