Despegar.com / booking issue with resident/non-resident

Luis Thayer Ojeda 086, Tercer Piso, Providencia, Santiago, Chile Review updated:

I am quite furious with despegar as I booked a return booking with them from lima to tarapoto for the 22nd of october and was told upon arrival that I had booked a residents only ticket. I was therefore charged a massive $178 usd by lan before I could board the plane. I can not understand how they can justify this kind of huge payment, it is certainly not paying the equivalent of a normal flight. It's basically a fine for making a mistake that is more the fault of the site (Despegar) I booked through than my own. I am aware that this is lan's fine, but this started with despegar and it was the fault of their website that I came into this blunder. There is nothing on the email confirmation or ticket stating that this is a residents only ticket and I certainly can not recall seeing anything on the site saying so when I was booking. As I don't speak fluent spanish i'm guessing I must have missed this on the site, but it is absolutely laughable that there isn't something during the booking process (Like entering a valid resident number, for example) to stop tourists falling into this trap. All other airlines would do this. There are no warning signs, nothing to click to confirm you are one or the other. This makes me feel like this is a scam to trap tourists to be honest. I can't see it as anything otherwise. I can't help but think this must happen all the time to tourists traveling the country as they must use the site regularly. I am having to make this complaint here as there doesn't seem to be anywhere on the despegar website where I can make a complaint. I would like to be told where I can do this and to be told that they will help me in claiming this extortionate amount of money back off of lan. Thank you.

By
Nov 19, 2015

Comments

• De
      Nov 19, 2015

dear sir/madam we are sorry to hear that. in order to proceed with a resolution... please send us the booking ID number to investigate.

thank you!

Despegar.com

Nov 19, 2015

Thank you for getting back to me. The booking reference number is XQGMAV, ticket number is 5449232510422. I booked on the 1st of July 2015 and the flight was from Lima to Tarapoto on the 22nd of October.

Alanna Byrne

Nov 23, 2015

Dear Alanna, we need to ask you, please, doublechek the reference number as XQGMAV, under our records, belongs to another client with another itinerary.

could you please search in your first e-mail sent from despegar.com the numeric reference (Example: 40061293 )

thank you very much!

despegar.com team

Nov 23, 2015

I guess the numeric reference would be 39873900. But it definitely says the reservation code is XQGMAV.

Thanks,

Alanna

Nov 23, 2015

dear alana we found your reservation. As your purchase was made in peru website ww.despegar.com.pe. i sent your claim to the correct department in this country for the best handling.
    they will contact you to follow up the claim but, again, as the purchase was made in other country we cannot handle it from here but they will give you an answer ASAP.

regards and apologize for any inconvenience,

despegar team

Nov 23, 2015

Ok, thank you. As long as you can assure me they will be in touch then that's fine! If I don't hear from them in a few days what should I do?

Alanna

Nov 24, 2015

despegar is always easy to contact. despegar/peru will be contating you for sure.

also here is a number you can call at any time: 00 51 1 700 9494

they also told me they are working in your case, so you should receive an answer between today and tomorrow.

Regards,

Dec 20, 2015

Well, I was never contacted. What now?

Jan 03, 2016

Could someone please get back to me with an update? I have heard nothing from anyone since your last message on the 24th of November.

• So
      Mar 28, 2016

I have booked a flight from cartagena to bogota in despegar.com for the 11-12-2015, reservation number 43599417 for 94$. I have cancelled it after 3 days and have been told i would get a refund within 15 days. Never received it. i can't reach the company and basically they have stolen my money. Would really appreciate any help with this matter. Thank you

Mar 29, 2016

dear Sofia, we found your reservation but it seems that it was a VOID transaction. that means we did not charge you

im attaching you the legal file where we show your ticket as VOID... ill suggest to chek this information with your bank

Jun 03, 2016

First of all we would like to apologize for the misunderstood and also confirm that were reimbursed the 100% ammount to the original form of pay.

• Ab
      Jun 03, 2016
    Despegar.com - Stole money
    1444 Biscayne Blvd.,#221
    Miami
    despegar.com

I booked hotel in nainital and gave 200$ to despegar. i called up the hotel to check they are denying that no such booking was made. Booking request number- 42443843 Hotel check-in code: 228913536 as i earlier said i called up the hotel to check they are denying that no such booking was made.i lost my 200$ !!! Consumer's Desired Resolution: i just want my money back . i am really worried