Derrick McGavic / Garnishments

PO Box 10228Eugene, OR, United States Review updated:
4.4
Phone: 541-485-4555
His firm is representing 2 of my creditors. I contacted them after receiving a set of garnishment papers that went to one of my banks. The papers told my bank to relinquish my funds. This was the first I had heard of their plan to do so and it was already taking affect on one of my accounts. I called them to try to reach some sort of agreement and they told me that I didn't make enough money to make a guaranteed payment arrangement. Ten days later, they wiped out my other bank account - without any notice whatsoever. I received the court papers from them saying they were going to do so 4 days after it was done. After reading the papers, I noticed that I am entitled to keep any funds from child support as well as 75% of my salary. Well, my bank account consisted of child support and salary. So I called them again. I asked them how I am eligible to make a payment arrangement but then they can take every cent I have! That makes absolutely no sense. I tried to arrange something else and the person I was speaking to got mad at me for not telling her the correct amount that I bring home (the first person I spoke with had notated what I make BEFORE taxes; I tried to explain to the second person that my net amount is lower). She accused me of lying to her and said that she would tell the person who handles my case what she found out about my case - that I was lying and withholding information and that she suggests going straight for the wage garnishment. She also told me that I would be receiving something via certified mail and that I should definitely attend to whatever it is or I could be in contempt of court.
Their office is rude, unprofessional and makes their way by bullying people who may not know their rights.
We

Comments

Sh
  11th of Jan, 2009
i had applied for bankruptcy and i was making payments with my lawyer, and last year he had contact one of my creditors which happens to be through derrek e Mvgavic, and they knew that i was obtaning a lawyer. well they have been harssing me so to speak so i have been avoiding the calls
i noticed resontly on my bank account that they garnished $164 which they didnt have my permission in the first place and i have a final check going through that i wrote for my lawyer so now i have to call him and let him know the situation.. also i thought sense your on ssi they cant garnish your account and you should be judgment proof.
i really feel that there in the wrong all the together... they do nothing but harsses people. and there under a law firm, they should know better than that
Be
  17th of Mar, 2009
This exact thing (by Wendy) just happened to me. I received papers that I had been garnished three days after they took money from a account I was a co-signer for. I received notice from my bank which my work check is deposited into and they were told that I have a garnishment from Derrick McGavic. The only money deposited is my work check. I have called and left messages without any response. I have someone from the Attorney Generals office looking into this. They are crooked lawyers, and their records show it.
Al
  1st of Jul, 2011
After an investigation by the Oregon State Attorney General that concluded earlier this year, the Law Offices of Derrick McGavic have been closed permanently. As part of an agreement reached with the AG, McGavic must resign from the bar and never do business in Oregon again. The news story on this was published in the Willamette Week:

As someone who was harassed by this jerk (unsuccessfully, I might add), I say good riddance.