Dependable Locksmith/Locksmith 24 Hour / scammers

1 295 W 231stBronx, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 718-581-5000

They use local phone numbers so you think you've got a local company but its a call center in the Bronx and you are quoted one price on the phone that turns in to 3-5 times that quote. There are many, many, many articles on line about this huge nationwide scam, yet they are allowed to continue business as usual. The "locksmith" that showed up for me didn't have a drivers license, just a passport and, thankfully, I involved the police so he wil hopefully end up paying much more than he collected from me to stay out of hot water. NO CONSUMER SHOULD USE THIS COMPANY FOR ANY REASON!!! This company has been exposed on several occasions (by news media) yet they are allowed to keep operating. No protection for consumers???????

Ja

Comments

• Le
      29th of Jun, 2008

Consumer Watch team investigates locksmiths

Posted: May 13, 2008 04:08 PM EDT

Updated: May 19, 2008 11:35 PM EDT

Consumer Watch team investigates locksmiths
    Every locksmith should have a license on them for the customer to view prior to making a deal.
    The locksmith working for Dependable Locksmiths raised his prices after arriving to the car the keys were locked inside.
    Dependable Locks Florida Corporation Reinstatement
    Dependable Locks Oklahoma Certificate of Qualification
    Dependable Locks Oklahoma location: Address does not exist
    Find licensed individual Oklahoma Locksmiths
    Find licensed Oklahoma Locksmith companies
    Get tips on finding a locksmith
    New York BBB Report for Dependable Locksmiths
    Oklahoma Better Business Bureau
    Were you a victim of Dependable Locks? File your complaint here
    By Amanda Taylor, NEWS 9
    Phony storefronts, unlicensed workers and a scam that spans the nation prompted NEWS 9's Consumer Watch Team to find locksmiths in Oklahoma - who aren't locksmiths at all.
    Joe Leach needed a locksmith so he grabbed the phone book and found a locksmith company who said it would cost $39.99 to open his door.
    But once the locksmith came out - and finished - the price shot up.
    Reluctantly he paid - but upset he started digging.
    He plugged in the company's name, Dependable Locks Inc., and he came across pages of complaints and postings warning of "phony locksmiths" going "nationwide and spreading like cockroaches" and being part of a "large organized crime type outfit".
    The company once based out of New York, now in Florida, advertises using local addresses and phone numbers.
    They're unlicensed and many times customers said they'll quote one price over the phone then charge another once they get there.
    "I asked him while he was here, ‘Where are you guys located?' [He said] ‘Uh, NW Expressway', " Leach said.
    The company's location leads to a piece of property that doesn't exist, and their bogus address is causing big problems for the State Department of Health.
    "We can write them numerous citations based on the evidence that we have and we don't have a physical address to find a manager, " Vernon Bolz of the State Department of Health said.
    The Oklahoma State Department of Health requires locksmiths to be licensed - meaning the person has undergone a background check. But Dependable Locks hasn't applied.
    When contacted, the company answered the phone, ‘24 hour locksmith of Oklahoma City, ' not Dependable Locks. After more investigating, it turns out the company goes by many names.
    Every locksmith who advertises in a new phone book must display their license number. And once they come to you, ask to see their license.

• Le

Submitted: 7/29/2008 12:40:01 PM
    Modified: 7/29/2008 12:40:00 PM
    Karen
    San Francisco, California
    These people quoted me a price of $39 and a $15 fee to make a key. I was locked out of a home.
    They arrived over one hour later (promising a 20 minute arrival time). They could not pick the locks.
    They drilled holes in the doors to get in the house.
    They never gave me a quote for anything before they did the work. When they were done they handed me a $610 bill for drilling through 5 doors.
    I unfortunately handed them my credit card but they were only able to get $500 off of it. I have been calling them for their location and they will not give it to me. They do not understand English well and everytime I call they hang up on me or tell me they have a supervisor coming to help me; and no one ever comes.
    If there is anyone out there with a way for me to remedy this I welcome suggestions.
    Karen