Dependable Locks - Bronx, NY / Overcharge!

I locked myself out of my apartment in Cincinnati, called Dependable locks in Cincinnati... was charged $150 to open the lock which took 3 seconds to do. I had assumed that it would cost me no more than $40.

Sincerely,
David White
Cincinnati.

Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

12th of Dec, 2007

I locked my keys in my car yesterday morning. I called work to tell them I was going to be late. My co-worker offered to look up a locksmith for me online. She found Dependable Locks. I received a call from: 727-464-9000. I thought it was a little odd that they were calling from a 727 area code. I gave them the address of where I was located & asked them how much it would be. The dispatcher gave me a quote of $39 for the service charge and $15 to unlock the vehicle, $54 ok. The dispatcher said someone would call me in 10 min... 15min later he called and said he would be there in 20-25 min... 45min later he shows up. I had been looking out for a company vehicle, Not! He looks at my car and tells me it's going to be $39 + $110! I said, I got a quote on the phone that it would only be $39 & then $15 to unlock the car. He said, no it's $15 and up... I was not told that over the phone by the dispatcher. He told me that it was because of my type of door. Give me a break. Knowing I have to pay a $39 fee just for him showing up, I'm late for work and it's 30 degrees outside. I told him to unlock it... 3 minutes later and $149. After reading all the same complaints is there anything that can be done about this company?

• Su
      1st of Aug, 2007

I locked myself out of my house on July 28, 2007 and called the Dependable Locks Inc. in Cincinnati because it promises 15 min fast response in their Yellow Pages Ad.. I made a few more calls due to no response during 70 min waiting period. I was charged $139 ($39 for show up and $100 for unlock the door). I also think I have been overcharged for the poor service they provided, based on the response posted on their website (Dependable Locks Inc. San Jose): they have charged only $55 (2/11/07) and $84 (6/6/07) for the same service .

Sui Lin
    Cincinnati

• Le
      3rd of Aug, 2007

A dependable locksmith?Seven's On Your Side

(New York-WABC, August 3, 2007) - They are called Dependable Locksmiths, but according to the Better Business Bureau, if you call them, you might find that you've been overcharged instead.

Seven On Your Side's Tappy Phillips found that complaints about this locksmith go way beyond the New York area.
    The headquarters of Dependable Locksmiths is in the Bronx. But what does it have to do with ads in the Seattle phone book and a listing in Elizabeth, New Jersey? According to complaints made to the Better Business Bureau, they are all the same operation.

"In this particular case, it's a locksmith who quotes you one price over the phone, but when they get there it's not so reasonable," said Claire Rosenzweig of the Better Business Bureau.

We tested it out. We had our intern lock the keys to a Jeep in the ignition and call a 908-area code number for Dependable Locks.

We were quoted $39 to show up and then $15 and up depending on the difficulty of the job. Then they called back and said it might be $89. But when they were done, it was $125 dollars. And when we asked about the price hike?

Tappy Phillips: "You gave her a quote over the phone, then you called again and said $89 and now it's what, 125?"
    Locksmith: "Yea, it's a $35 dollar service and $85 dollar to get the car open."
    Tappy: "That's not what you told her, you told her eighty-five to get the car on ... now it's 125."
    Locksmith: "Because the thirty-nine dollars was... "
    Tappy: "You don't think that's deceptive? ..."

In the end, they agreed to accept $85 dollars.

And what about the Elizabeth, New Jersey address -- 169 Washington Avenue -- where Dependable claims they are? Well, it turns out it's not a locksmith at all, it's a pizzeria.

"When you call them you think you're calling someone local, you're not... you're calling some call center," Rosenzweig said.

According to the BBB, calls to Seattle, Elizabeth and numbers listed in other cities around the country, all go here.

Tappy: "The better Business Bureau has called you particularly disreputable."
    Worker: "Excuse me, can you leave the premises."

So how do you protect yourself? The BBB suggests not waiting until you're locked out to locate a locksmith. Find one locally, check it out for complaints and keep the number in your wallet in case of emergencies.

(Copyright 2007 WABC-TV)

• Le
      10th of Aug, 2007

BBB Warns About Locksmith Scams. Kay RobinsonYou may have been a victim and not even known it. The Better Business Bureau is warning consumers to beware of untrustworthy locksmith companies that are ripping off consumers across the country.

Victim complaints to the BBB reveal that several locksmith companies, all using similar methods, are significantly overcharging consumers, charging consumers for unnecessary services, using intimidation tactics and failing to give refunds or respond to consumer complaints.

Ironically, these companies operate under names such as "Dependable Lock-smith" but in reality they exploit the vulnerable situation of consumers who are locked out of their house or car. We've found that some locksmiths have made taking advantage of consumers' misfortune part of their business model.

Complaints about locksmith services to the 114 BBBs serving the United States increased almost 75 percent from 2005 to 2006, and have continued to come in steadily during the first half of this year.

The BBB has identified Dependable Locksmith - which operates under more than a dozen different names - - as a particularly disreputable locksmith. This company poses as a local locksmith in cities across the country and advertises in the yellow pages using local phone numbers and fake local addresses. Consumers might think they're dealing with a local locksmith, but their phone call is actually connected to a call center located in the Bronx borough of New York City.

Consumers are quoted a reasonable price over the phone but when the locksmith arrives - typically in an unmarked vehicle - he demands significantly more money than originally quoted, often only accepting cash.

A complaint about Dependable Locksmith, which was operating under the name "Superb Solutions," alleges the company quoted fees of $39 and $84 for separate jobs, but the bill ended up at $471. It included add-on fees, such as a $65 breaking-in fee and a $58 fee to uninstall old locks.

Another complainant reported that the locksmith sent to let her into her car demanded she pay twice the price quoted over the phone. The locksmith offered to drive her to an ATM to get cash. The victim, feeling unsafe, refused.

The victim was ultimately forced to write a check made out personally to the locksmith as he would not let her into her car until she did so. She canceled payment on the check the next morning, but eventually filed a police report after the locksmith harassed her with continuous phone calls about payment.

The BBB has also heard many complaints from victims who say they were charged for unnecessary services. For example, complainants suspect locksmiths sent over by Dependable Locksmiths of pretending they couldn't simply pick the lock so that they could charge more and install all new locks in homes.

Some of Dependable Locksmith's aliases include Superb Solutions, Locksmith 24 Hour, Inc., USA Total Security, Priceline Locksmith and S.O.S. Locksmith.

Two other locksmith contractors fleecing consumers are Basad Inc. - which operates under more than 50 names nationwide, such as A-1 Locksmith Service, A-1 24 Hour Locksmith, A-1 Lock & Key Locksmith and AAA Locksmith 24 Hour - and Liberty Locksmith.

Similar to Dependable Locksmith, they pose as local locksmiths and run full-page Yellow Pages ads with multiple phone and address listings. The phone numbers appear to be local, but connect to national call centers such as Liberty's in New York City, while the addresses end up belonging to other established businesses in the local area, or are simply non-existent.

Like others, Liberty Locksmith and Basad Inc. use common cons such as quoting one price over the phone but charging significantly more at the site.

These companies are very good at posing as trustworthy locksmiths. Before you find yourself in the unfortunate position of being locked out of your car or house, do your research and find a truly dependable locksmith in your area. Ask around and always check with the BBB first to find reputable businesses.

If you feel you've been taken advantage of by Dependable Locksmith, Liberty Locksmith, Basad Inc. or others, please contact the BBB to file a complaint, or do so online at www.bbb.org.

Kay Robinson is president of the Better Business Bureau of Central East Texas, serving 19 East Texas counties. To contact the BBB in Tyler, call 903-581-5704, and in Longview, call 903-757-3611 or 800-443-0131, or visit the Web site at www.easttexas.bbb.org. The organization can be e-mailed at info@tyler.bbb.org.

• Da
      19th of Jun, 2008

In Cincinnati, it looks like they're posing as "Fast Lockout Service".