Department of Revenue / child support

FL, United States Review updated:

Why DOESN'T the DOR/CS address inconsistencies in payments made by non-custodial parents? It is court ordered I receive weekly child support payments. Some months I receive 3 out of 4 ordered payments, sometimes 2 of 4 or only 1 of 4, sometimes I receive NO payments. I understand there are guidelines. However, consistency of payments should have better guidelines. To the best of my knowledge, the DOR only addresses a non-custodial parent or their employer if they get "X" amount behind monthly. It seems each month is a new start for the non-custodial parent. As long as a payment or 2 is made during a specific month, nothing is done. In my case, I know for a fact the non-custodial parent is working full time. Should DOR contact his employer about the inconsistent payments? For anyone reading, could you imagine if your employer paid you every now and then? Of course not! It is impossible to budget when you are not paid. And, you fall financially behind. I have visited my local Child Support Office on many occasions and made endless phone calls. There is nothing being done. I get frustrated when I see government agencies provide consistent free services of all kinds. Why isn't there an agency or grant program for child support? An agency that dispersed court ordered child support? Then, the agency can collect from employers or individuals. I bet the guidelines would change then!

Dm

Comments

16th of Jun, 2009

I HAVE BEEN PAYING CHILD SUPPORT (ARREARAGE) FAITHFULLY. I SIGNED AN AGREEMENT FOR PAYMENT IN 2005. TWO WEEKS AGO, I RECEIVED A NOTICE THAT I WAS NOT PAYING CHILD SUPPORT. i MAILED IN THE AGREEMENT BUT A FEW DAYS LATER, I RECEIVED A NOTICE THAT MY LICENSE WAS BEING SUSPENDED NEXT WEEK. I WAS LEAVING ON VACATION AND HAD TO GO TO THE DOCTOR'S OFFICE THAT DAY SO COULDN'T GO TO THE LOCAL OFFICE. I CALLED, MY WIFE CALLED NUMEROUS TIMES, AND EVEN EMAILED MY FORMER CASE WORKER WITH NO RESPONSE. MY CHILDREN ARE GROWN ALREADY AND THIS IS ONLY PAYING ON THE ARREARAGE. I AM ALSO NOW RETIRED LIVING ON SOCIAL SECURITY AND MY WIFE AND I HAVE HAD SERIOUS HEALTH ISSUES IN THE LAST TWO YEARS. WE ARE EXTREMELY UPSET WITH THE SITUATION, MAINLY BECAUSE WE CAN'T GO TO THE OFFICE AND THEY WON'T RETURN PHONE CALLS. I HAVE TO HAVE MY LICENSE TO GET BACK TO FLORIDA SINCE MY WIFE HAS CATARACTS AND CAN'T DRIVE AND WE WON'T BE BACK UNTIL AFTER MY LICENSE IS TO BE SUSPENDED. WE CAN'T AFFORD TO PAY MORE THAT THE AGREEMENT WAS FOR IN 2005. MY WIFE DID GET THRU ONCE AND THEY TOLD HER THAT THE COMPUTER SAW THAT WE WEREN'T PAYING THE ORIGINAL CHILD SUPPORT AMOUNT AND THAT THE 2005 AGREEMENT HAD BEEN CANCELLED IN 2006. SHE SAID WELL, WHY DIDN'T THEY NOTIFY US! MY EX-WIFE WANTS TO SETTLE THIS SO SHE DOESN'T HAVE TO WAIT FOR CHECKS TO COME THRU AND WE BOTH KNOW THAT THE STATE OF FLORIDA IS WAY OFF ON CALCULATIONS WITH THE STATE OF CONNECTICUT. I WAS TOLD THAT IF I CAN MAKE AN AGREEMENT WITH MY EXWIFE, ALL WE HAD TO DO IS GO TO COURT AND FLORIDA WOULD HAVE TO RELEASE ANY HOLD ON ME. WE ARE IN CONNECTICUT NOW AND ARE TALKING ABOUT A SETTLEMENT. WE JUST WANT TO BE LEFT ALONG AND LIVE OUR LIVES WITHOUT BEING THREATENED. TAKING A DRIVER'S LICENSE AWAY IS NOT GOING TO HELP GET MONEY - HOW COULD I MAKE ANY MONEY AND I HAVE TO DRIVE MY WIFE NOW TOO. THERE IS A PRECIDENT IN MY COUNTY THAT IS A PERSON CAN'T AFFORD TO PAY CHILD SUPPORT DUE TO NO JOB, ETC. THEY CAN NOT TAKE A DRIVER'S LICENSE AWAY. I CAN'T AFFORD AN ATTORNEY TO FIGHT THEM EITHER. I AM PAYING THE AGREEMENT AMOUNT SO SHOULDN'T BE RECEIVING THIS KIND OF HARRASSEMENT NOW. HELP!

• Dm
      19th of Apr, 2012

I believe failing to abide by a court order is breaking the law! I think the guidelines/steps/actions/whatever should be addressed and possibly changed! In Florida, the non-custodial parent has to be a certain number of payments behind, or a specific dollar amount behind! And, they are given a clean slate each new month. If DOR/CS inquired whether the non-custodial parent was consistently employed or not, they could then determine if inconsistent payments were justified or not.

• Wi
      13th of Nov, 2014

how one state can hold money that has been dispersed by another state for children with no explanation. I have an order registered in Pennsylvania, where my ex-husband lives and I live in Florida. His wages are garnished. Each month Pennsylvania sends the money to Florida and Florida deposits the money into my account. Pennsylvania recently released more funds due to his substantial income increase and Florida has decided to hold the money, sending the children NOTHING for the month of November. We count on this money, we need this money and there is over $3000.00 that Florida is just holding onto. How can this be legal?