Dental Office / Misinformation about dental services

1 5109 S. Pulaski RD.Chicago, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-773-284-0037

I scheduled an appt. for Thursday, 10-16-08 at 12:00pm to see Dr. Zickman, who is covered by Metlife insurance, which is my dental insurance provider. I was told during the scheduling of the appointment that he was the only dentist at this office who was contracted by Metlife to provide services for me, and that he would be in the office at the time of my appointment. When I arrived at the office, I was asked to sign disclaimers, taken into an exam room, a panoramex x-ray was taken and I was was told to open my mouth so that a dentist that was not introduced to me, could look into my mouth to assess the troublesome area. I was then told to wait while my insurance company was contacted. The office manager named Marcia, then told me that I was not covered for my dental services, and that it would cost me $435 to have my partially erupted impacted wisdom tooth extracted. I then told Marcia that I did not want to have the tooth extracted but I would like a copy of my panoramex xray. I was then told that I would have to pay a $50 duplicating fee for the xray. (my insurance plan pays 100% coverage for an panoramex xray in a twelve month period). I left the office, went home and contacted Met-life the next day. Met-life informed me that I was covered contractually with Dr. Zickman for $270 for the extraction of an impacted wisdom tooth, $63 for a panoramex xray, and $36 for an oral exam, but that the notes from the conversation that they had with Midway Dental Center on 10-16-08 indicated that Midway Dental Center was inquring about the coverage of an out-of-network dentist. When I did the math, these items were summated at a cost of $369 contractually. I then called Midway Dental Center and was told that Marcia was not in the office. When I asked for her last name I was told that the office could not give out this information. I was then given an alternate phone number to contact Marcia and that she would be awaiting my call @ [protected]). I spoke to Marcia and was told by her, that I was covered by Met-Life for the panoramex x-ray and the oral exam because I had seen Dr. Zickman when I was in the office the day before. I then asked her again about a copy of my panoramex xray and was again told that there would be a $50 duplicating fee because the office staff had to be paid.

Comments

• So
      17th of Mar, 2009

I have nothing but good things to say about this dental office. Several years ago, they took me in on an emergency basis when no one else would. I've been going there for my care ever since then. I've had unpleasant experiences with teeth cleaning in the past and Laurie changed my whole attitude towards regular cleanings. Dr. Sirin is the best. They are located in my old neighborhood and even though I've moved a considerable distance, I continue to go there for my care. Until they give me a reason not to go back, I will continue to do business with them.