Demockeracy.com / Demockeracy.com uses very real names for their fake stories

The obnoxious, sophomoric site www.demockeracy.com uses very real names for their fake stories. It’s not like common names, such as Mike Jones or Mary Smith, etc. Their over-the-top and ridiculous stories often have damaging consequences for those people wrongly named in their entries. When contacted politely several times, Demockeracy.com refuses to take down these damaging entries that can and do cause harm to those named in their far-fetched “news” stories.

Although I am all about the first amendment rights (as I am somewhat of a writer and satirist myself), I feel that Demockeracy.com has a duty to take down anything that could lead to serious harm of a person or people mentioned on their site. I have personal knowledge of someone incorrectly named in one of their articles receiving harassing calls, e-mails, and even has had threats made against this person’s safety. Just as there is a first amendment right, there is a right to privacy and reasonable expectation for safety and being free from harm.

Most states in the U.S. have far-reaching privacy laws. If not, then there is a false light clause that most states do have and use. Lastly, Demockeracy.com is definitely very guilty of yellow journalism.

Ma

Comments

• Jk
      8th of Dec, 2011
    Demockeracy.com - Slandering real people in fake stories
    Demockeracy.com

The obnoxious, sophomoric site www.demockeracy.com uses (and makes up) very real names for their senseless, fake stories. It’s not like common names, such as Mike Jones or Mary Smith, etc. Their over-the-top and ridiculous stories often have damaging consequences for those people wrongly named in their entries. When contacted politely several times, Demockeracy.com refuses to take down these damaging entries that can and do cause harm to those named in their far-fetched “news” stories.

Although I am all about the first amendment rights (as I am somewhat of a writer and satirist myself, ) I feel that Demockeracy.com has a duty to take down anything that could lead to serious harm of a person or people mentioned on their site. I have personal knowledge of someone incorrectly named in one of their articles receiving harassing calls, e-mails, and even has had threats made against this person’s safety. Just as there is a first amendment right, there is a right to privacy and reasonable expectation for safety and being free from harm.

• Ha
      17th of Aug, 2012

Absolutely- I've seen it myself. Stupid site.