Delta Airlines / luggage weight

PO BOX 20980
Dept 980
Atlanta Ga. [protected]

To Whom It May Concern:

I am Georgia Verdier, one of the individuals mention in the letter listed below, written by Ms. Credle. I am writing regarding luggage charges. On departure from Spain, several of us had our luggage weighed and was told it was “Heavy, ” as the figures were not shown in English. Many of us questioned the weight because we had carefully avoided the problem of over weight. On arrival home, my bag was slightly less than 50 pounds. However, I was charged 120 Euros, with our dollar valued at $75.00 to their $100.00. The scale they used stated that the cost would be rated according to the weight, beginning at $50.00, however, this was not done. Several of us believe we were grossly and unfairly charged. I hope you have heard from others who were on the same trip, encountered the same problem, and voiced their displeasure in the airport. Please inform me as to what can be done to rectify this problem.

Sincerely,

Dept 980
Atlanta Ga. [protected]

Subject: Poor Service

To Whom It May Concern:

I am wishing to file a complaint regarding Delta flight # 6207 from Rochester to JFK, which arrived late, causing us to miss our flight to Madrid, Spain.

Georgia Verdier, Cleo Watkins and myself were traveling to Madrid Spain on Sunday 02/11/08 via flight # 6207 from Rochester NY @ 4: 30P and were to arrive at NYC/Kennedy @ 6:10 P. The plane arrived late to Rochester; therefore causing us to arrive at JFK late, and then sat on the tarmac for 30 minutes waiting to approach the gate at JFK. Our concern was expressed to the steward who said the connecting flight # 126 was aware of the delay and assured us we would make our connection. Unfortunately, by the time we got to the gate they had closed the doors five minutes earlier. We ended on a$ flight to Malaga #DL162 than another Iberia IB 0221 to Madrid which arrived too late for our tour director to escort us to the hotel and the tour of the city. This delay caused us to miss the first day of our vacation tour and cost us an additional 39.00 E for the cab to the hotel. Although we had an option of leaving from the Corning/ Elmira airport, we decided it would be easier to leave via Rochester, as we would have to change planes in Spain, which would have been more difficult then doing so in the US. In essence, my son had to drive us over 100 miles one-way to Rochester and pick us up, to avoid changing planes in a foreign country. For all the good it did us we could have flown out of Corning.

I called customer service on 21/11/08 and spoke to a Ms Humaira about my displeasure. Ms Humaira advised that I would be receiving a $50.00 voucher towards a future flight (within one year). I do not feel this is adequate compensation for the inconvenience and costs that we had to endure. I am sure you can do better than that. Is it my advice that AAA should think twice about using your airline when you show such disregard for poor service.

Respectfully,

Corning NY 14830

Cleo Watkins
19 Roberts Avenue
Corning NY 14830

Comments

• Kr
      4th of Mar, 2009

My boyfriend and I had a similar problem with the baggage. On our way to Puerto Rico, our bag was 43 pounds. It had the same stuff in it (plus a hardcover book) on the way back, and in San Juan, they told us we were weighing in at 58 pounds. There is no way we had added 15 pounds with a hardcover book and two bathing suits that had gotten damp. We were told that we weren't allowed to take anything out of the suitcase, and it was either check it for "$75...no $100" or leave it there and have it thrown out. We later learned that it wouldn't have been thrown out, but shipped back on a later flight. Upon trying to get our money back, Delta informed us that they were right and we were wrong, and then offered us each a $25 travel voucher. I would never take it because that would mean having to fly with those scam artists again.

• 58
      26th of Oct, 2010

this was all avoidable..i dont understand why you people think that everything is going to go according to plan...just because its your big day doesnt mean the universe will comply just to make you happy...you could have gotten on an early flight to jfk and left PLENTY of room to make your connection...but knowing stupid people like yourself you prob gave yourself 30-45 minutes to make your flight and didnt give anytime for normal holdouts to occur...im glad you didnt make your flight. it pleases me to know that your trip was messed up and that you and your son were inconvienced.